Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I had two air plants. One shriveled up and died and the other bloomed and had babies. Didn't do anything different for either. It's a total crapshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm realizing now that the soil in my garden bed is poo poo. Can I remedy this without tearing everything out and starting over?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Platystemon posted:

In what aspects is it poo poo and what do you have planted?

Many things can be fixed without digging everything up.

It's mostly clay and hasn't got much nutrients in it. Before I made the bed I mixed in a bunch of manure and compost to try and remedy it but it's still lacking. I've got some perennials and some sunflowers in there now. The leaves are going a bit yellow now. I've been fertilizing with 24-8-16 but I'm worried it's not a good long term solution.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Looks a bit like Soleirolia soleirolii. I've got a big planter of it growing in my bathroom, and it too does not need a lot of light or water.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just spent a shameful amount on bulbs. Spring better be loving magical.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do it. I'll tell my new composting worms that I contributed something on the internet.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I let my dog chase the deer away from my garden every time they come around. They've settled for the apple tree across the yard and I just compost their poo poo because it makes me feel better.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The growth you see near the bottom is probably a runner root being pushed out to make a new plant

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Compost comrades

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My bulbs are coming up! It's a little early but I'm in zone 8b so I'm just hoping it stays mild until spring actually comes around. Is there anything I can do if it goes below freezing again?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of bulbs? Lots of early spring bulbs are sort of evolved to come out very early before the overstory leafs out to take advantage of the free sun with no competition and are adapted to a late freeze or two. In my personal experience daffodils/paperwhite/narcissus can handle a light frost for sure, and hyacinths too. Mulch definitely won't hurt.

Crocuses have made a run for it as well as some daffodils. I have some compost and leaf mold kicking around so I'll just throw some on the bed a little earlier than planned.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That's fuckin cool

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have this one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tumbling-composter-with-two-chambers-0594490p.html#srp

It's ok. I put red wigglers in there with the compost and it works fairly well. It's just a bitch getting it out and actually using it.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Just wait for that gently caress you mid February snow storm to throw everything off.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I get so mad if it snows after the tree blossoms come out. It's unfair and an insult to everything I hold dear.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Forecast for the BC south coast is 5-15cm of snow tomorrow. Hold onto your butts (bulbs)!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

What happens to the seeds that you do like?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I love all of those, especially the edgeworthia. I've got a perfect spot for a nice shade garden but I'm always disappointed by the selection of my local nurseries. I need to find a way to get some more novel stuff to plant instead of just hydrangeas and rhododendron.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Spring is truly loving

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just threw mine in the ground around Novemberish. I think I might've put a bone meal mix in there with them too, but there's not a whole lot of prep involved. Just digging and timing.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The only thing I've seen work crazy well is those big CO2 traps. They're expensive though. I live in a buggy area too and I just deet myself and hope nothing painful lands on me. An old place I used to work used to stock their ponds with dragonfly larvae, which was pretty effective at cutting the mosquito population down at all life stages. You need a water feature though, and there's a bit of redundancy in that.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

How much of a Pandora's box is a drip watering system for flower beds? Would one be even beneficial? In my mind I'm thinking of those tiny sprinkler heads that cover a small area, but the drip systems I'm seeing just feed directly into the plant's base. Maybe I can mix and match based on perennial/annual and amount of ground coverage? I don't know. Irrigation is never as simple as it seems.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Platystemon posted:

The run times you’d want for drippers and micro sprinklers don’t overlap. Either the sprinkler area will flood or the plants on drip won’t get enough water.

You need at least two lines.

That makes sense. I'll have to make a list of all the components I need and see if it's worth the time I'll save over hand watering.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

gently caress lithops.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Just build a sandbox and designate it as the neighborhood litter box. Problem solved!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I. M. Gei posted:

Like I said, we don’t want them to die.

:can:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It feels weird to order compost online. Is it weird? I want to dress my beds before it's annual time. I was also a dumbfuck and showed a bunch of wildflower seeds on the bare native soil that I want to dress. I was just so excited!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Depends what kind of a look you're going for. I like building little rock walls out of... rocks. Big flat ones. Concrete bricks or any kind of masonry look good if you stack em right.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You could get good at using a string trimmer and edge it regularly to keep a nice clean edge. Personally I think that looks best for trees with mulch around them.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've always just used bark mulch. Don't pile it against the trunk.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Spring is truly loving!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It's always out of control. I want one very much.

I think when/if I own my own home I'll plant one and prune and stake it so it turns into its slightly more manageable tree form.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I. M. Gei posted:

Good News: My new motion sprinkler seems to work.

Bad News: The spraying range on it sucks major rear end. It’s supposed to be able to spray up to 40’ or 45’, but near as I can tell it only sprays about 10’ or 15’. I found a couple of new turds that were both outside of spraying distance, which tells me it’s at least doing something, but I need to get that range up!

I can think of two possible issues:

1. The sprinkler’s range isn’t nearly as good as advertised.
2. My hose isn’t putting out enough water pressure (it’s one of those dumbass shrinking hoses that shrivels up when there’s no water, so this wouldn’t surprise me).

What do y’all think? How can I improve my sprinkler’s range?

You should get more and configure a kill zone. Keep rotating the sprinklers so the cats can't figure out the different dead spots.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I found this: https://www.expresssewer.com/blog/which-trees-cause-the-most-pipe-damage

My personal experience has been that all roots seek water, and will eventually be problematic given enough time and the right location.

Edit: Get a magnolia. Everyone will be jealous come springtime.

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 24, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Build a fire over it and keep it going for a day.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

gently caress rabbits. Bastards ate almost all of my seedlings. I feel a kinship with farmer McGregor.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

From now on I'm only growing poisonous plants :catdrugs:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

What kind of plants are about to be potted?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'd cut it back down to the ground. It'll come back with a vengeance so just stay on top of it to shape it how you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do they have fluffy stuff inside the tubes?

Edit: Juncus effusus

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 20, 2020