Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

gender illusionist posted:

All this talk of etiolated plants reminds me of what happened to one of my favorites while it was kept in a dark spot for a few months:

yes, that's a flower stalk on there (that's a big deal in the UK!)

Inflorescence :eng101:

I will take pictures of my succulents when I get back to my apartment in a few weeks, but I have some plants here at my parents' that I will post in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My desert rose

I was told this is a "jade plant"

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Yellow leaves usually indicate overwatering, actually.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I went to the nursery today! I love the nursery.

My very own tillandsia

I love this because it looks like a tiny opuntia (it's about three inches tall)

Fenestraria ("Fenestra" is Latin for "window" :eng101:)

Lithops to replace the one I had for a year that my roommate overwatered and killed

Rosemary and lavender

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 8, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

My wife's mom gave us three aloe plants in pots. They now seem to be dying. They're in maybe 70% sun and I water them every other day. Am I watering them too much, or do they need more sun, or both?

Also: A couple of big chunks of my nopales cactus fell off. I think it was wind or maybe they just got too heavy? My question is, after I hack off the youngest parts and boil them for food, can I just stick the rest in the ground and it will grow, like you can with succulents? Or is that not going to work.

Yes you are probably watering your aloe too much. Succulents get root rot very easily if they're overwatered. I killed a fair few like that before I realized what was happening :smith:

Yes you can probably propagate your cactus like that. One of my friends dropped a nopales pad outside her old apartment before moving out (two years ago) and now there's a big gently caress-off nopales outside the place.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

gender illusionist posted:

Check out this weird little guy I picked up a while ago; that texture reminds me of fine lizard scales or cats paws. Anyone know anything more about it, beyond 'it's a succulent'.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ALOINOPSIS/Aloinopsis_setifera/Aloinopsis_setifera/Aloinopsis_setifera.htm

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone tell me what these fuckers on my mom's lantanas and geraniums are?

I'm home for a week and she asked me to get rid of them for her.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Kenning posted:

Alright plant thread, my roommate and I recently built some shelves for plant display around the house and I used his phone to get some decent pictures.

God these are incredible. Thanks for posting.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Can I get an ID if anyone knows? :)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Looks like Hypoestes phyllostachya (aka Polka Dot Plant) to me.

Thank you!!

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

Good to know, I'll try to remember to do that this fall. We bought the house in January, and aside from routine maintenance not a lot of upkeep had been done on the plants. Here's some more shots of the mystery flower from before:

Looks like some kind of alium blossom.

Edite: VV Oh, hahah. Sorry. No idea then.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 7, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Shelper, those lithops are enviable. Nice.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, it'll grow roots if you stick it in dirt. If you tear off a leaf and stick that in dirt you can grow a whole new plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I've had my jade plant for like 4 years now, and it was definitely not young when I got it, but it's never flowered.