Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

What's the best way to deal with little flying bugs on indoor plants? They're slow and easy to kill, but they keep coming back onto the mint plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

surf rock posted:

I am a complete plant novice and I have two unrelated questions:

1.) Have I killed this peace lily (I think that's what it is)? If not, what do I do to rescue it? Someone told me to water it once a week and I've been doing that (one 12-ounce cup worth of water), but I have no idea if that's right or if that's the right amount. Does it need direct sunlight every day? What's that green thread stuff in there?

Nope, as others have mentioned, it's looking happy. You can nip off the dead flowers. Watch your peace lily, when the leaves start to droop, water it. That's the biggest thing. Mine is two years old and the watering thing has been key. It'll grow flowers again over the year. They usually grow one to three at a time. You probably want a bigger pot for it and an area where it'll get decent light. It doesn't need direct light.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is there a way I can get this jade to branch out on the other sides? It's going to tip over soon.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is what I've had to do with most if not all my jades over the last few years at some point. I just use a tiny piece of bamboo or wood and hold the jade where I want (not so far in your case as to break it at the base) and let it rest gently against it. I don't like tying them because I don't want to scar them. That jade will probably backbud up anyway, enjoy your new cascading jade! Those leaves look very happy too :D

It's very happy since I took over care from my office mate. It used to be red, yellow, and orange.

It's hard to tell from the photo perhaps, but that's not the main stem, that's a branch. Using a stake is just going to have the branch bend up. I was wondering if I could cut the branch and replant it or if there was a way yo get branching off the main stem.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Actually, a leaf was knocked off it weeks ago snd it's just started sprouting small leaves.

In the photo I posted above, could I just snip it at a node with all those leaves on it, wait for it to harden, then replant? Do I have to strip any of the bark off? Or use rooting powder?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Well, here's what I did with the jade:

And here's the leaf that fell off:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I also just ordered a sunset jade online. But that's for home to go with my peace lily and copper spoon kalanchoe.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm looking to repot my peace lily. It's been in its pot and happy for two years, but now roots are starting to grow out of the drainage hole. I'm going to repot it in a 1:1:1 mixture of peat, perlite, and bark chips. Is it safe to trim back the roots when I take it out of its current home? I'd like to keep it in the same size pot.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah peace lilies like being divided. I have one that I got as an office plant 9 years ago, and I have two scions at home, one at the office, and another two in other people's offices that I gifted on.

Or put it in a bigger pot -- just be aware it may double in size.

I trimmed it back and replanted it. If all works out, it'll get divided next year. I'm trying a new soil mix I made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm trying to propagate new kalanchoe coppet spoons via leaves. I've put them on some succulent soil. Do I need to keep the soil moist or what? How does this work?