Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Huh, never knew there was a plant thread!

Got a monstera related question. Does new growth ever appear on the lower parts of the plant, or do new leaves only appear on top? Does cutting it back promote new growth?
One of my monteras have gotten very leggy during the dark winter months. Repotted it a while back, but it has not been thriving at all after I repotted it. Guess I just need to give it some time settle. Lost quite a few of the lower leaves though. The top leaves seem healthy, but the plant is already fairly tall and there's not a whole lot going on at the bottom of the plant anymore :/ If I cut back some of the stems, there won't be any leaves left at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

B33rChiller posted:

Looks like nobody else wants to chime in on this one just yet. In my experience, new growth mostly shows up at the end of the vine, but sometimes it will branch out from some mid point. I'm not sure how to induce / prevent that? Or, new shoots will sprout from the roots. You might want to look into some sort of support for the vines you have. They can grow very long, given the chance. And by the looks of it, you might want a bigger pot for the amount of plant you have there.

What I did with mine was train the single vine up the wall for a few years, then when we moved into this place, put it up on the shelf, and run it along the ceiling. It was super pot bound for quite a long while, and once I re-potted it into its current pot, it sent up a second vine, which I'm training along the ceiling in the other direction. It also branched out about halfway along the main vine. This one is coming up on 14 years since starting as a cutting I took from the lobby of our old apartment building. I also prune off any aerial roots once they're about 4 inches long or so. Mostly for aesthetic reasons, and because that's what my grandfather did when I was little. I've just been going by what he used to do.

Thanks! Is that your monstera in the pic? It looks amazing! Never seen them grow that long indoors before... Mine is 3 years old, but if it keeps up this pace of legginess it'll be several meters long in a couple more years haha

It's not that visible in the pic, but the plant has some support. I trained the main stems to bamboo sticks after repotting it. Before repotting, it was sort of laying across my entire windowsill, blocking out all my sunlight + looking ready to topple over.

There was a couple of new sprouts a few months back, but they're very thin and leggy with small sadlooking leaves... I guess I'll just keep at it, and hope it survives the repotting. It was 110% rootbound in its last pot and I was a bit rough with the poor plant in the process :/

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 16, 2018

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
I posted a question about trimming monsteras to promote new growth a little while back. Cutting it back seems to promote growth! Plant is thriving again too :)

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Any fellow goons in the arctic? Anyone know of any good gardening resources for arctic gardening?

I recently bought a house with a big garden and want to start planning what to do with it. It's semi-coastal and situated in what I guess would equal hardiness zone 5a or 5b, with midnight sun in the summer. Quite a lot of lawn there, but I really prefer flowers. I think we'll convert parts of it and plant flowers and stuff for the bees and insects. Looking for ideas! I've been wanting a ginkgo tree for some time (have a tiny tiny one indoors, can't really call it a tree), but I doubt it will survive the winters or grow much here...