Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This colony doesn't look particularly friendly. Anyone know what it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What is this and how do I take care of it? Lady in the store said to keep the pot in water and make sure the plant's in a humid environment. Currently keeping it in a cloche in the window.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think it's a Drosera capensis.

Looks like it. Thank you.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Behold the food of the gods, Theobroma cacao.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 16, 2017

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just watch out for its teeth.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I suppose my tastes sadly align with those of an old lady, but how can you not love African violets? They're so pretty and bloom constantly. So many varieties...

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

B33rChiller posted:

I agree. We got one in a basket with some daffodils this past January. I didn't know anything about Aftican violets at the time, so you can see the burnt marks where I got water on the leaves. Since then, however, this plant has done really well, with a whole bunch of new leaves and flowers!

African Violet https://imgur.com/gallery/qB1M0
Yeah, they're quite sensitive in that regard. Silver lining - you've an excuse to cut off the blighted leaves and use 'em for propagation.

Love the violet shade on your​ plant (which looks really healthy and nice). I currently have two adult specimens, one pink and one blue:

Under the cloche I've got four leaves going. Two Russian varieties:
Bog Solnca

Syrenevoe Ocharovaine (spelling probably all kinds of hosed up)

And finally, an English variety called Gillian:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Tremors posted:

I bought two Tacca chantrieri rhizomes back in April and around the first of this month one of them woke up and started doing its thing. Here's a picture of them both today.

The one on the left has been getting the same treatment as the one on the right. Is there any reason it's taking so much longer to do something and is there anything I can do to encourage it?
If you're unlucky the rhizome might've simply decayed. But chantrieri is a bit unpredictable. Maybe it's just taking its time. What are the conditions, temperature, humidity, soil, like?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey, if all else fails just mash the things. They can't run.
Assuming it's just one or two small plants, this is honestly a super-effective way to get rid of aphids.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

Mini African Violets are pretty neat.

They totally are! Along that vein, petrocosmeas belong to the same family and are loving awesome. I have a hybrid about the size of a nickel!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any houseplants that can keep in cold indoor environments? It's just I really like the cold so I don't use the heater unless a) a guest complains or b) I absolutely need to to keep the pipes from freezing.

I would estimate during the winter my flat is around 40-50 degrees, which yes is perfect for me and you can find me lounging around in shorts and a t-shirts, and maybe a hoodie.
Cast-iron plants and maybe English ivy.

Edit: some succulents and cacti will tolerate cold winters as well.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Facing south into the yard of our rental apartment complex is this arched opening. I've been thinking it'd be nice to cover it with some kind of climbing plant (or combination of plants).

Trellis structure could be a wooden framework covered with hog wire, or all wood. Haven't really decided on that yet. Hog wire would be simpler (if not as pretty) and should be able to handle a bit of weight without sagging too much, right?

As for plants, I'm thinking two possibilities: European honeysuckle across the trellis, perhaps in combination with clematis to cover bare-looking honeysuckle trunks and some kind of ground cover to give the roots a bit of shade.

Or, just a whole lot of Chinese wisteria.

I'm partial to honeysuckle as the birds like the berries and the flowers smell lovely. But blue wisteria would look nice against the red-pink hues of the wall...

Are either of these ideas feasible? There's unfortunately a lot of concrete and asphalt covering our yard, so the climbers would have to grow in containers.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

Is the archway used a lot? My concern with something like honeysuckle (which I love, too--amazing fragrance) would be the bees and other insects it would attract that could make braving the archway gauntlet a daunting experience.
It's a fairly walled-off yard in the middle of a city, so while we do get some bees (they've taken up residence inside one of the adjacent buildings' walls) the last three years we've lived here they've been few enough that we're actively trying to encourage them as much as possible.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Where do you live? Chinese wisteria is so invasive in the US that I'd never recommend it.
As for the wisteria, I don't think I've ever seen it in "the wild" here (southernmost Sweden), only ever cultured on trellises or such. Perhaps our winters are too harsh. I'm not worried about vegetative reproduction since they'd be container-bound.

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah, I'd agree and say anything but wisteria. I heard a story one time of someone who planted wisteria to cover an arbor on the side of their house and after about a decade the wisteria started to lift the house off its foundation. A wisteria arbor needs to be its own thing, unattached to any structures you'd like to keep habitable.
lol
Sounds pretty amazing, in a way. But I do want to minimize damage on the wall, so thanks for the warning.

Thanks for the help, ya'll. Pretty sure we're gonna go for wild honeysuckle + clematis.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 21, 2018

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

For some plants, sure. I'm growing some T. chantrieri and they supposedly like their roots warm.

Edit: that said, in pretty sure a heating pad is unnecessary for most plants.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

VERTiG0 posted:

This thing makes me uncomfortable to look at.

It's pretty cool! Also trying to grow T. integrifolia. It has white bracts and purple flowers, a lovely combination.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Bumblebees are part of the same huge-rear end family that honeybees belong to, but they're a different genus.

Saying bumblebees and honeybees are the same thing is sort of like saying jackdaws and crows are the same thing. Which depending on your perspective (e.g. ecological niche) might as well be true.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's fair. However, for a lot of people "bee" is synonymous with "honeybee", not "every member in the bee superfamily".

Edit: not trying to argue btw, just think the discussion is interesting.

On the subject, it seems like the honeybee hive that took up residence in a brick wall in our yard didn't survive the winter. :(

anatomi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 30, 2018

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know what plant this is?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

Some kind of dianthus? Odd foliage, though.

Schmeichy posted:

Looks like the dianthus I have in my yard, also known as Sweet William.
Looks like a likely candidate! Thanks. It's a pretty prolific grower.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Clematis armandii is pretty cool and evergreen if you have mild winters.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think there are probably a thousand exceptions to that rule. But in general, at least climbers and vines want big pots (we have honeysuckle and clematis in clay containers and they seem pretty happy).

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know what these are? Seems like they'd make lovely ground cover.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think that's bindweed.

It's an invasive nuisance, but nurseries still sell it anyway.

Right you are! It's endemic here, but apparently pretty aggressive. Gonna pass on that one. Shame, pretty flowers.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hubis posted:

You might like Portulaca.
I might indeed, they look lovely. Thanks!

Big-rear end ferns are very difficult to find in stores, so I liberated a couple from the wild and they seem to enjoy their new habitat.

Another identification request - what are the orange and red flowers? Please excuse the blurriness.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wonderful. Thank you. Apparently called 'fire crown' in Swedish.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You also have Philodendron hederaceum and its various cultivars.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

Ooh that looks cool!

The room gets a pretty good amount of natural light as it has 3 Bay windows and faces like SE, if that helps with any other suggestions.

Is that pothos like, a million smaller vines or one big long one? I was thinking I'd have it in a pot hanging from the ceiling pet much directly in front of one window, then just start draping the long vine(s) along the wall, held up with... something? Haha.

Are any of these vine-y plants extremely poisonous to cats, does anyone know? I don't plan to have them within cat-reach, but with cats... :psyduck:
It's toxic, but not severely so. Your cat would have to eat quite a bit to actually become sick - so it depends on your cat and its degree of insanity. Mine are suicidal, so all plants are off-reach.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know what this is

growing among my pilewort and hazelwort?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Looks like some kind of hosta to me, as well.

This isn't a very sexy sight, but it might grow into one.

A few of us neighbours want to fix up that asphalted and dead corner of the courtyard, and the boxes mark the beginning of the process. My back is groaning in anticipation, but it's gonna be worth it.

It's a pretty dark spot that only receives indirect lighting, but I hope it'll be enough for Alpine clematis to cover the soon-to-be painted black fence. We'll see what else we can throw in there!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Solkanar512 posted:

That setup looks incredibly sexy!

Thanks! Right now we're trying to hold the landlord to their promise to help us out with the ungodly amount of soil required. I'm really looking forward to populating the planters.

I can never remember if these are lady ferns or male ferns (stupid names) I've planted here. Regardless, their emergence is one of the most beautiful things I know. Apparently the shoots, despite being a bit cancerous, are eaten in some parts of the world — they do look tasty.

I planted some lilies back about a year and a half. They all pushed up for the start of summer, but then quickly receded. They're all looking much stronger this year. Some of the bulbs have split and I'm gonna spread them out in the fall. They're all martagon lilies of some variety or another, except the lilies to the left in the first picture. Can't remember what that one is.

It may take martagons several years before they bloom, so I'm not counting on that happening this summer. That said, the bulbs I acquired were already quite mature, so who knows?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Beautiful!

Requesting an id of this plant:

Southern Sweden. May have come along for the ride with a pair of ferns acquired from wild.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I was initially thinking it was some kind of cherry laurel, but the leaves are opposite, not alternating. Thanks, people. I'll let it grow out. You can start betting on the species now.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Cherry laurel was actually my first thought, but I didn't think they would grow in sweden.

If the plant has opposite leaves, that makes IDing it potentially much easier as opposite leaves are much less common that alternating. For US stuff there are some good leaf/tree ID flowcharts but I can't seem to find one for Europe.
I live in Skåne, which is one of the warmest zones (1 out of 8, 8 being the coldest) in Sweden. I think it's roughly comparable to USDA zone 8A. However, our summers are much shorter than yours.

I found an interactive key at https://www.digiflora.se but I couldn't scrape up anything that matched. The plant could very well be something nonnative.

According to my roommate, our mystery plants didn't drop leaves or color during the winter (which was very mild; no snow at all), which would make cherry laurel a fitting candidate. Except for the leaves that (to my eye) definitely look opposite/decussate.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Generally speaking, tap water is not gonna kill your succulent. If you're very worried, TDS meters are cheap for the peace of mind they bring.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

terre packet posted:

Can I get a plant ID please? Thanks!

Looks like a young and somewhat light-starved Monstera to me.

Edit: could also be some kind of philodendron. There are many. Any close-ups?

anatomi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 18, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Agreed. You're gonna poo poo yourself (from joy) when you get the first leaf fenestration.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Search for a side/accent table. Probably not gonna be cheaper than a plant stand.

Upside down garbage pin is I think the cheapest option. You could join two end to end.

There's no second hand place nearby?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Adjustable table legs (or just saw 'em down to size) and a wooden cutting board might work too.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Some kind of fencing is usually the best solution, albeit a boring one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Good luck keeping rodents out with fences.

It’s possible, but it isn’t easy.

Well — good luck keeping rodents out at all, you know? Unless you opt for using poison or traps (which are only temporary solutions, depending on the type of rodent). Fencing doesn't necessarily have to be 100% impenetrable (and it never is), just annoying enough to encourage the animal to expend their energy elsewhere.

Build a tiny path to your closest neighbour, complete with rodent-sized signs that say "This way to better grub!"

Serious answer: figure out what's eating your bulbs first. Some farmers here grow sacrificial crops to keep pests away from more precious fields; maybe you can supply feed that this particular culprit would prefer, away from your bulbs.