Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hey guys, turns out I like gardening

I guess I do bonsai now?

Ficus

Jade

Gardina (recently pruned and worked)

I am aware this is very mediocre wiring work but I'm learning as I go along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hubis posted:

Bonsai thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464693

And same here. I'm trying not to spend too much money on resources, but it gives me something productive to do with the mess of saplings that I have to dig out of my beds every year.

I've been posting to the bonsai thread but I felt.my jade and gardina are not really bonsai, and I don't want to poo poo up a thread with my constant posts.

Figured some people here might like my tortured trees

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I had to neaten up my garden recently so why not :justpost:

I'm greenhousing the fig because we are coming to winter at the moment

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

taqueso posted:

You are making me want to bonsai something. Now to find a brick...

I see someone has been following my adventures in the bonsai thread :D

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

taqueso posted:

I saw it on the gardening discord.

Ahhh, well there you go

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Every fiddle leaf owner I know have weird little things going on with the leaves, I think it is just how the plant do.

For reference here is some leaves on a fiddle leaf I pass by regularly

He is in near perfect rainforest like conditions and still has weird poo poo going on. So it might be just be your fiddle leaf being itself :)

Jestery fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 16, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I just repotted an Azealia and chucked a rock underneath it to attempt a root over rock grow.

Being a transparent planter I can watch it get root bound and decide more easily when to take actions

There was no shortage of roots in the store planted so I think he will survive well enough

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hubis posted:

Goddamnit, I'm going to have to try growing poo poo over poo poo now, too :mad:

I'm doing a root over brick ficus at the moment, it's going really well

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hubis posted:

So did you just kind of prune the roots a little bit and shoved a rock up under the middle, with the plan of letting the roots (re) grow around it and then planting it more shallowly when you repot?

Pretty much yeah, however I think it (and I base this on nothing) is important to do a more gradual process of soil removal.

So once it is established Ill take a tablespoon or so out every week to make sure I don't shock the root system

I this is my ficus on brick after 3 months and I'm very happy with it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

There seemed to be some interest in this so :justpost:

My plan for this one is to have this one appear to have broken out of its small pot

So enter a fast growing lily pilly and a small terracotta pot

Perlite and Coco Coir for the bottom, as I understand it this assists root growth :shrug:

Packing the soil to more easily to keep the broken terracotta pot in place

Eyeing up how it's going to be placed

I'm using normal potting mix for the main root ball here, you can also see the (white) roots I draped over the top of the pot for A E S T H E T I C

I filled the outside of the black planter with more coir and perlite , again for root growth.

Voila

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Old mate saw me tending to my bonsai

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oh gourd he coming!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Go you gourd thing!

Edit:
My radishes are coming up nicely

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 11, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

indigi posted:

a very angry storm just blew threw and the rain and wind were so intense it separated a section of roof at my work. I'm so worried for my plants :ohdear:

Thinking positive vibes for your plants

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I uhh bought a tiny frangipani

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The gourd is good the pistol is evil

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

https://youtu.be/Og_g3b5edRY

Welcome to my life

Edit: I have gotten confused between the GBS gardening thread and the diy gardening thread.

I leave this here for posterity

Jestery fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 15, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I saw this pretty plant on my walk in to class

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My SO got a black zz plant, it was a touch pricey so we deliberated on the pot and the aesthetic.

We have a persistent gnat problem so she has to top sand on all the indoor plants but it makes for a nice look on this one in particular

Bonus monstera

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hubis posted:

Do you need to use sand, or will something like pea gravel work?

She tells me that it needs to be a physical barrier that they can't dog through, pea gravel might have enough gaps that they could get through

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Sand doesn't provide a physical barrier against fungus gnats, assuming that's what you've got. It also doesn't suffocate them. Entomology and botany studies have been disproving the sand gimmick for years, but those headlines don't get as much attention as "this one weird trick will rid you of fungus gnats forever."

If you like the look of sand, that's fine. But it's not a magic wand against fungus gnats. Most places that recommend sand are really making a different recommendation that's more effective: removing the top 2 inches of soil. They do this to "make room" for the sand, but since fungus gnat eggs and larvae are typically found in the top 1-2 inches of soil, of course you'll be removing most of their next generation in the process. Combine that with traps to remove the adults, and that's pretty effective.

Ultimately, your best defense against fungus gnats is probably just to let the soil dry out more. The larvae can't survive in dry soil, so if you control your watering much more carefully, you'll eventually kill off any developing gnats. That combined with leaving out traps for the adults (sticky traps right near the plants will net you more than wine/vinegar/whatever liquid you're trying a few feet away from your plants) should make you much better off after a few months.

It does take a few months, though. They are stubborn little monsters.
Are you able to cite any one those studies, I've given it a quick google and it's just endless garden blogs with the same noise.

The little buggers are drat persistent for sure tho.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Does the hemp rope and jug of water method actually work?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Assembled this last night, it feels a bit rickety to be honest. Considering doing something to beef up the construction. They really should have made it so you could screw it together or something.

Anyway what is it you ask? It's a composter, basically an insulated composter with a system to aerate the compost more effectively. We want to use this because our garbage collection system doesn't separate food waste from the burnable stuff and we hope that we can reduce the amount of garbage we produce so we can reduce the garbage trucks pickup intervall from 2 to 4 weeks, that will save us money in the long run we hope by halving our garbage handling costs. And we'll get free compost for the garden.

(the shoddy looking white paint in the background is because it's being scraped off and redone. Protip, gently caress modern paints, linseed oil paint for planed surfaces)

I recently started keeping compost its great. It's great to supplement a worm farm when they need time to digest and it's good fun to turn it every couple days and have something to do that isn't being on tv or dumb internet bs

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mine is just a 50L plastic tub with holes, with some Coco Coir and scrub turkey mound inside as a starter

I litterally chuck everything in it but chopped up nice and fine. Mower clippings, old toast, onions, meat scraps

I don't think I'm getting the heat as high as I would like, but I think it's making compost.

The volume keeps going down even though I'm adding stuff

So learning experience

And if it works out I wanna get a blue water barrel so turning is as easy as rolling it round the lawn a bit.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oil of Paris posted:

What do you have them planted in? Can you post pics?

edit: I don’t know poo poo about what bonsai treatment requires but a cursory search for ficus religiosa leads me to believe it is extremely easy to simply keep alive, just keep it in nice indirect light for awhile and not overwater it. it should bounce back, they sound tough as hell

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d409

I have a ficus ginseng and the whole ficus family is hardy as gently caress, water and gentle Sunlight and mild fertilizer will have them very happy

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Attempt at becoming leafy green self sufficient coming along well,

Garden bed nearly done, I took some early compost but I hope it will finish itself off in the bed if I just leave it for a bit.

And I've taken some sambung cuttings and I hope they will propagate

I've also reorganised my plants because of a change in address. But I think it's looking well

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

CheddarGoblin posted:

That's a carpenter bee, I believe

I think he's a plumber personally

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well, my long term goal of leafy self sufficiency is at its next step

I have planted my perennial spinach cuttings in my little garden and here's hoping I am over grown in no time

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Is it safe to apply neem oil directly to soil? It doesn't harm plant roots? I still have to dilute it a bit right?

The missus uses it on the reg for her plants

Watered down, but the plants seem pretty happy

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eeyo posted:

Are houseplants you'd get at a national hardware store meant to be re-potted after purchase? I wanted to get a fiddle-leaf fig for my apartment.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Update on my little plant shelf,

Its going very well, the jade on the left is coming back after a bout of some type of illness.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm starting work on a herb garden if sortsim going to dig in my compost in a couple weeks and make a herb garden

At the moment a passion fruit vine to makemuse of all the sun in this location

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Garden update

Using some cuttings that struck that I had forgotten about I have got it looking well.

The stakes are high but if I use short ones it's a hazard underfoot

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

TofuDiva posted:

I love the idea of turning a small space into an herb garden! What are the cuttings that you've got there?

Some type of woody basil, rosemary that had become rootbound , Asian basil and a chili plant

I'm hoping it all takes but I've got my doubts about the soil quality.

This is directly under my clothes line , so I want to be careful I don't impale my partner's foot

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm unfortunately having to move soon, so I'm collecting all my plants to make it easier to water and move when the time come

So family photo time

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

"I spent a shameful amount"

It cuts close to the bone

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hirayuki posted:

A strong wind knocked over my potted fig, which lost a small branch. I stuck the branch in a cup of water, which is what I do for any prematurely severed leaf or shoot (hence my three baby Christmas cacti). It lost its leaves and sat there with its hard green tip, essentially neglected, for a few weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it had roots...and leaves. :stare: I put it in a fresh, nicer jar of water for now; does anyone know if I can just tuck it into a pot of soil + Osmocote and get anything significant, or is this its last desperate hurrah?

You've basically done water propagation, once the root tissue looks significant you can move it over to some moist soil

I've heard that the root structure is somewhat different and needs to be eased into being in soil

I've always used very moist soil and walked it back to a more regular water schedule over a week or two but that's just me

https://cleverbloom.com/root-plant-cuttings-water/

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Missus planted some broccolini to feed us the caterpillars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

How would y'all feel about a gang tag contest? Is that something that would spark some interest?

I'm keen