Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

learnincurve posted:

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk

The bio bit: David Austin has a well deserved reputation for being the best rose producer in the world, he’s a very old man now and has spent a life time creating new roses and is responsible for saving a lot of old types that were in danger of being lost. His roses are also incredibly hard to kill.

Dame Judi Dench was released last year at Chelsea and this is the first year my rose supplier has had one half size and shaped (you can get them cut back online though). I got maybe 50 roses with another 9 on order - I say 50 but it could be nearing 100 at this point if you include the tiny ones.

TLDR: me WANT new David Austin.

Look at it just look at it!

Beautiful! I've certainly heard of him, but there's advocates for lots of different growers so it's always so hard to know if they live up to the reputation they have.

You're in the UK, right? Similar conditions to me in BENELUX I imagine. Any thoughts on that fungual infestation I posted above? I'm starting to doubt it's powdery mildew:

-powdery mildew spreads easily to leaves, whereas this is almost 99% exclusively on the flower buds/stems right before the flower buds
-PM looks fairly easy to wipe off when it's early, this stuff forms a heavy pad that's difficult to even scratch with a fingernail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

learnincurve posted:

Sorry I missed that post nosre, it’s extreme powdery mildew now doubt. With the plant being so big and so old it’s going to be more susceptible to fungus and disease and be hit hard by them. With this bush I would be cruel to be kind and cut off the very badly effected parts, with it being this age and so badly eaten into there is a risk of a secondary infection if you just treat it.

Interesting, thanks. I'm surprised it's so extreme since I left for a trip on the 8th and hadn't noticed any, then come back a week later and the spots are this thick: https://i.imgur.com/Sx2VxEh.mp4

Totally fine with going ham on them, though; as I've said it's almost entirely on buds, not leaves/canes, and there's plenty of healthy buds to be left over.

learnincurve posted:

You might want to look at taking cuttings from new growth, 50 year old shub roses are absolute gems as they predate the current yen for grafting they will grow true - rose people will bite your hand off for them.

I'd love that--though unfortunately my dutch/french are pretty bad so it's hard to find enthusiast groups here. Nice to hear it's something special!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

We got anyone here that can opine on grow lights?

Our primary window is a north-facing that gets <1h of light in the late afternoon, so I've gotten by with low-light stuff but would really like to be able to have more options. Even stuff like our little Lithops, which the GF loves, apparently wants 3-5 hours of direct sun

So: simple e27 socket, <20$ light to run for a few hours on a timer. It's a bit hard to research this because it's overwhelmed with "tomato" growers talking about crazy $150+ box setups

-Is this a stupid idea? Are there any problems to avoid in this cheap range?
-I assume I want full spectrum, which I'm seeing listed as something like this: 22RED + 12BLUE + 2white + 2IR + 2UV (https://www.amazon.de/SOLMORE-Pflanzenlampe-Pflanzenleuchte-Pflanzenlicht-Leuchtmittel/dp/B01N7I54HO/)
-15w, 30w? This isn't for anything intense

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

As somebody who cannot stand the purple light of most of these LEDs, I can personally recommend this (less bright) and this (very bright, too expensive IMO) as good options for a more natural looking light. They kept my dwarf banana plants alive inside all winter and I've used them for seedlings as well.

Thanks for the rec. Definitely going with natural/full spectrum, based on that and some other comparisons like this

Grow lights are way more complicated than I hoped. All I want is something reasonably priced that can 'top off' this 1h sun/day spot to make 'full sun' things happy, and I'm finding myself reading this trying to figure out the typical PPFD of sunlight:

quote:

3.1 Distribution of monthly mean daily PPFD, PARE, RS, fFEC, fE, and LPR
Over the experimental periods, averaged daily values (mean ± SE) of PPFD, R S, PARE, fFEC, fE, LPR, and K t were 48.30 ± 10.52 mol/m2/day, 23.87 ± 3.89 MJ/m2/day, 11.27 ± 2.11 MJ/m2/day, 2.16 ± 0.08 μmol/J, 0.47 ± 0.02, 28.79 ± 6.85%, and 0.60 ± 0.01, respectively. It was further found that daily values of fFEC and fE were very conservative, although not constant. The stand error of K t was slightly greater than 1% of its mean, suggesting that sky conditions were rather consistent during the experimental periods. For the other parameters, standard errors were greater than 5% of the corresponding means, except for fFEC (3.70%) and fE (4.26%). In March, the monthly averaged daily values of PPFD, R S, PARE, fE, and fFEC were at their lowest levels during the growing seasons; they increased from April and reached their peaks in June around the summer solstice

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the first picture the top left row and middle left row are just rocks?

E: the broccoli looking things in the left side of the middle picture are wild.

The little 'rocks' are Lithops!

and I'm totally the target market and falling for the 'endcap of succulents' hardware and general stores are now pushing

and the mystery cuttings I took from Italy are indeed rooting with the paper towel/misting method :3:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Was gone for a week which this time of year always means fun things to look forward to when you return

New flower!

There's masses of whatever this is (the orange one) everywhere. I took out some to put in other things, but I'm glad to find out it is indeed decorative and was probably intentional at some point

We've got two orchids, which didn't bloom last year. They both seem happy this year, though, and this one grew like 6 inches in the past week!

Pulled this ground cover thing off a roof in France, and it's very happy. Cute little flower stalks :3:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

gently caress, my Neem oil + gentle/bio soap concoction for aphids and spider mites is apparently too strong for Avocado leaves. I've used it plenty on roses and lemon leaves with no problem, and even on the avocados before, but I washed it off soon after. Yesterday I didn't rinse them off afterwards, and this happened:

It's only on the bottom, hopefully not too much damage.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My parents have houseplants that are at least 30-40 years old with I'm pretty sure no repotting, so I've never thought about soil getting too old. Maybe for heavy feeders?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of, I've got my Purple Pearl outside and I guess birds like 'em:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone got a possible ID on this? Picked it up without a name a while ago, and now I need to check up watering reqs

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

hah. I'd love pictures of the setup and process, that's way too much for me right now but I could see it happening in the future with more space/money

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

On a related note, poo poo, just found Rose Rust on one of the three new ones I put in this spring:

Good thing is that's apparently one of the easier funguses, and it was just on two leaf clusters (since removed). Gonna do a baking soda/neem oil spray while I try to find a product (which is always a pain here in Belgium since my french is terrible)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

RIP one of my Avocados we grew from a pit for fun :(

Last 3 days suddenly all the leaves started wilting, now drying up completely, and I just noticed this:

Reading up this can happen from root rot, but I've always been careful with that so I think it's just a disease. And probably too low to cut off and have it recover, though I'll try

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Schmeichy posted:

My avocado had something similar happen, and it has recovered, so don't give up hope yet!

Sadly all the leaves continued to crisp up and eventually died so I chopped it at the base. Who knows, maybe something will happen

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

A bit ago I was asking about rooting two mystery cuttings I took from my fiance's great-aunt's house in Italy. Well, all of them took off fine in just water, and are now looking great. Still would love thoughts on an ID, though!

The mature plants there were a bit more woody, and got very leggy and tangled off to various sides as they sought out sunlight

also bonus artsy shot of a friend enjoying our stonecrop planter :3:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

maybe related, but these get way more viney. The mature ones were a tangle with stems reaching a foot or two

In fact, I found them in a background! Enjoy some old-country good boys, and the parent plant in question:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Really coming on to Dahlias based on a little one we have in a pot. Gorgeous, constant blooms, and seem pretty forgiving.

Also giving a sweet little genetics example!

Most blooms

Hey what's this solid pink petal?

new bloom a bit later :stare:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for the tips, everybody. We ended up getting some neem oil from a friend and just sprayed her down for the first time. Question about the oil: the directions on the bottle to say "use immediately" after basically emulsifying the oil in a soap/water mixture. Does this mean we shouldn't use the same batch next week?

I dunno about the Use Immediately clause, I've definitely kept the same bottle mixed for a few weeks and it's worked fine. One caveat I do know, though: neem oil can be too harsh for some leaves. I burned some Avocados by not washing them off, and instead letting the spray dry. So good practice is to always rinse leaves thoroughly 15-30 minutes later

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the oil itself is harmful to leaves. It's the interaction with sunlight that causes damage. I've definitely burned plants with it in the past, but I've also had good luck with spraying in the evening, moving the plant to shade, and then rinsing thoroughly with water before returning to the light.

e: Maybe also overapplication clogs stomata??

I think it's potentially both; when I burned my Avos the majority of the damage was to the underside of the leaves, so it wasn't a sun thing. It wasn't a ton of damage, but definitely something to watch.

I posted a few pictures ITT https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=27875&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post484916663

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Which ones?? It's probably a good thing I'm somewhat limited by space because I'm totally a sucker for hardware and grocery stores with racks of cheap succulents and am getting a lot

plus, you know, trying to propagate every single leaf that falls off

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If big chunks are taken out and you can't see anything, that sounds like a snail/slug/caterpillar that's coming out at night. And yea, the bigger stuff will likely shake off a homemade spray (or avoid it)

An oil/mild soap spray is best for aphids, small caterpillars, spider mites, and other smaller stuff that sticks around and can be drenched

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:justpost:

Just about finished moving everything inside and rearranging, so how bout some spring-now progress pics?

Hens and chicks. Going to leave these outside, actually, they're pretty hardy. Though ratings are always for 'inground', not pots, so who knows. I have more inside anyway

One of my weirder lemons, which kept sending off offshoots from 1 specific spot so I just let it do its thing

I think this is a sedum palmeri, which has taken off from some cuttings I took from the finance's great-aunt's house

Makeshift succulent incubator. That's some Purple Pearls, a Moonstone, two random green leaves that had fallen off at a hardware store, and some Stonecrop in the top right

The supervisor

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also my boss gave me two Philodendron 'Selloum' because one of the two was a bit rotty at the crown, I also snagged a cute Arrowhead Plant that I've always loved but no one else did. Now I'm at 17 houseplants in my smallish apartment but I feel as if there's room for quintuple that

Neat, looks like this (what I think is a) Monstera I got hand-me-down and has done very well

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Isn't Monstera also a sub variety of Philodendron? Hard to tell, the internet overlaps these a ton. See also: Silver Pothos and Silver Philodendron have pictures that look exactly the same.

But yea, actually, I think I misremembered and should have said Xanadu

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Spider plants are supposedly air filterers and ridiculously forgiving

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Couple years ago we sprouted some Avocados for fun, with two surviving. They sure aren't happy, though. Anyone hazard a guess whether this is fungal or a deficiency, and if anything can be done?

The worse one of the two, which has been pretty sad looking (bit droopy, with curling, small leaves) for a while

This one looks better overall, but the leaftip browning is getting worse and worse

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Discomedusae posted:

Are they near a heater or air con outlet, or a drafty spot? Second pic looks a lot like the leaf blade is drying out. Could also be that your indoor air is much drier than what an avocado is used to.

Huh, thanks for that idea, hadn't thought about it. Can't really do anything about the situation in winter though, maybe Avocados are just too temperamental for pots (which could easily be the case, this was just a fun experiment, not something I researched)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Planted a lot of bulbs last fall and I'm excited ~it's happening~

The white are snowbells that were here when we moved in

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

First time this season picking up some stuff from the garden center so of course we came home with a few fun things. Anyone ID the one on the right? It's just tagged 'cactus'

Also made this little arrangement as a housewarming present which I'm happy with :3:

Thesaurus_Rex posted:

I'm Disgruntled Bovine's girlfriend, and I'm a cactus and succulent addict. The plant mentioned is some E. trigona or closely related species. The cool thing about that plant is the bottom of it is entirely crested growth. I'm gonna cut back the tall reversions at some point, but for now I like the look. Euphorbias are probably my favorite genus, I think I have around 30 different ones right now, including an E. obesa. :sun: As far as repotting goes, I've seen good growth in the warmer months (New England native here) and tend to keep them a bit pot bound to avoid too much moisture as the whole lot goes on the balcony in growing season.

I'm jealous of the setup!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea I've been a proponent of Neem for mites, and while it does some work, but I'm a bit discouraged myself. It knocks them down but is impossible to be thorough enough (plus the egg issue) to get them all, so it's mitigation and not eradication.

Stuff is going to go outside soon but maybe next fall I'll try something stronger.

elgarbo posted:

It's an Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubrispinus, commonly known as the Rainbow Cactus.

Sweet, thanks!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone have thoughts on planting stuff in unlined brass (or bronze, maybe) containers? They're some cheap ones I got in a yard sale, so I'm not concerned about the metal itself, but plant health.

Only thing I can find is potential to burn roots from heat/conductivity, which would not be a problem inside.

Nosre fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 2, 2019

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't know if it'll cause any harm but you could line the inside of the pot with some spray sealer or something similar?

Pablo Bluth posted:

A couple of years ago I had to replace my copper hot water tank. I couldn't be bothered to take it to a metal recyclers so the two halves are now used as containers in the garden. I just used a bunch of overlapping unopened bin bags to line the sides/bottom. The plants seem happy so far.

Thanks for this; a little more reading shows copper is poisonous, and this may contain some, but not much should leech into the soil. Don't have any sealer on hand so I'll just fiddlefuck a bag liner and not put anything irreplaceable in them.

Some stonecrop for top of the page:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can't find some naturally? I pulled a little chunk off a roof, threw it in a pot to see what would happen, and it's super happy

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

There's a rabbit hole of content regarding different mixes for different things, but one generally-agreed-upon thing is that the rich dark dirt that succulents are often sold in (which is very likely from a grocery store) is too much for them, yes. And yea, you should generally gently clean off the roots, not just pick a bigger pot and fill in.

If you want to be simple, just pick up a cactus mix, or otherwise research (or post) exactly what you bought and maybe people can give you specific advice!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:hf: That mix is a great idea, I woulda done that if it had been available in the local store

Bonus: garden helper trying to make a friend

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That is cute as heck. Great greenhouse, too

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

ragle posted:

Prickly pear (Opuntia). Mine come back every spring after sub-zero °F winters.

That's neat, I never even thought to check if some cacti can handle that.

I'd think most northern climes would get way too much water, though, unless they're under something

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyway, it's really exciting exploring this cultivar, since the only one I ever saw growing up was Crimson Queen (dome shaped tree with lots of reddish to crimson leaves. Cats love hiding under them! ANyone else doing anything similar?

No but that's a hell of a project and I'm looking forward to follow along with the pics!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I’m jealous of everyone living some place that’s warm enough to garden right now. In New Hampshire it’s just getting to be about time to clean things up, but no planting outside yet.

Yea Belgium has 2 nights of ~1-3c weather tonight and tomorrow, but this may be the last of the real cold and I've already been working with the shrubs and hardier things. I'm from NH too so it's a nice change to be out in the garden in Feb and March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Year 2 of a big ole mint patch is being funny. The red was all mint last year, but at the moment there's barely any coming up in the primary spot, yet strong shoots appearing way around the edges