Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

That reminds me of a beautiful variegated Yew I found once. It didn't keep its variegation either. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tremors posted:

What size pot should I plant it in?

Generally, at least one size bigger than it will currently fit and shaped for that plant's root growth. If you leave out dirt the plant won't use (at least until it grows bigger), you'll also make the potted plant lighter to move around. But if you have a perfect pot and don't mind lugging all that extra dirt around, go ahead and put it in its mature size pot.

Some plants like succulents just don't make deep roots so they do better in shallower pots. Some other plants like African violets don't like soggy bottoms, so some growers will put something free draining in the bottoms of their pots like perlite or gravel so that the soil will sit above the water line in its saucer and won't wick it up.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hummingbirds posted:

Lithops to replace the one I had for a year that my roommate overwatered and killed

I've had some of these for a decade now. An ex-girlfriend of mine affectionately called them my "butt plants". :butt:

They're also a great plant to show off to people not familiar with succulents. People can't resist touching them.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

EagerSleeper posted:

For sure it's in the Euphorbia genus since Euphorbias are weird. Sometimes they look like a leafless, geometric, succulent cactus. Sometimes they're a woody shrub. And sometimes they're a stygian hellbeast.

No kidding. Euphorbia is one of the largest genuses in world. Even poinsettias are members.

In other news, this just bloomed today in my yard (not a Euphorbia), and boy does it stink. My voodoo lily!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Joe Don Baker posted:

Thanks! I hope they aren't hard to find at my area garden shops.

Edit: Looks like they are common.

They are super common. Fun fact: peonies actually need ants to eat the "glue" off their flower buds, otherwise they will never open. My mom has a story she loves to tell from one of her aunts about how she always gassed the gently caress out of the ants "attacking" her peonies and then wondered why they never bloomed...

Second fact: the instant they bloom, you're guaranteed a rain shower that will fill up their flowers, making them so heavy they will fall over onto the ground.

Third fact: Joe Don Baker, don't worry about replacing it. Did you see Marchegiana calling it "herbaceous"? That means that they die off to the ground every winter then come back next year. As long as some green is left above ground, it should survive until next year.

dinozaur posted:

Love the voodoo lily, kid sinister. My dogs used to go insane every time the Amorphophallus bloomed.
Thanks. I grow both plants known as voodoo lily here. The other is in my back yard, the type with the yellow and red spathe that blooms later. It hasn't popped up yet from the ground... I hope it survived the horrible drought we had here the past 2 years.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 1, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there any love for carnivorous plants in this thread? I saw one back on the first page but that was it.

I wish I could plant some outside here in Zone 6. Well, plant them and forget about them once established and maybe water every occasional 2 week drought.

edit: I should totally take some pictures of my false yuccas that are blooming outside now. It's one of the few succulents that will grow outdoors this far north.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 18, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

unprofessional posted:

There are lots of hardy carnivorous plants to choose from! Culturing them is a little different from most plants, as they're generally bog plants requiring very low ph and almost no nutrients (thus, the carnivorous adaptation), but it can be done with just a little bit of research.

I knew that, pitcher plants grow all the way up into Canada. I was wondering if there were any that were relatively carefree.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pardalis posted:

I am in search of Citrus hystrix (kaffir or "leech" lime) cuttings, fruit, or seeds. A lot of people in Florida or similarly tropical areas have them outside or potted as well as old school Thai ladies who cook well. I would be willing to pay shipping or trade a multitude of plants. Please PM or reply here if you have what I am looking for, thanks!

Citrus hystrix:

You could probably find a sapling from the listings at Dave's Garden:
http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/67460/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

fuzzy_logic posted:

Sounds like runner roots - from poking around on the internet that's how it propogates. Maybe put a smaller pot next to it and poke some of them into it and get another fern? They need to stay attached to the main plant like an umbilical cord for awhile though if that's the case.

I have a succulent question. I bought this guy quite awhile ago but forgot its name:

I've had it for a little over a year and really love it, but I'm having pruning issues. Once a year or so I prune it back, because the plant's so fleshy that the branches tend to snap under their own weight if I let them get too long. They also layer over one another and torque as they grow so they snap each other, so I try to trim it back to stop that. I also remove all the largest leaves from the bottom of the plant. However, after the last prune back it doesn't seem to be regrowing anything, which is annoying because where all the leaves were removed it's just sticks now:

Not very attractive. I saw one or two new branches trying to grow above the cuts, but they died immediately. Now I'm afraid to prune it back anymore because it doesn't seem to be recovering well - what'd I do wrong, and how do I encourage some new branches? Am I pruning too aggressively? I just can't let it grow on its own or the main branches get longer and longer and it starts falling apart.

eta: it had a really traumatic repotting this summer after which I was sure it was going to die, maybe it's still recovering from that?

I also have a Moses-in-the-Reeds, which ... doesn't look very impressive. Also its juices give me a rash when I prune it:

but the undersides of its leaves are a really nice shade of purple. It is currently recovering from a failed stint as an office plant (it did not enjoy the corporate world and came back home to convalesce).

The first guy is leggy, probably because it isn't getting enough light. You would have to cut it back further to get bushier growth lower.

The second one is a "Moses-in-the-cradle". Actually, that plant has tons of variations on that name. It's also a noxious weed in many parts of the world. It too looks leggy. You can tell because they typically don't develop stems like that. Put it in a brighter place.

speaksoftly posted:

Does anyone here use grow lights? Right now I have a cactus, a steel plant and a evergreen inside for the winter and I know they aren't getting enough light. I can't move them into the room with the best light because it gets cold in there very easily. Would one of these work? http://amzn.to/1hFAVF9 Or, am I going to have to find a way to chisel out room and use something like this? http://amzn.to/19jlwHR

If you huddle those 3 together, that CFL should work. Or you could just get a 4 foot T8 or T12 fluorescent hanging fixture and some grow bulbs at Home Depot. Pick up a timer with a 3 prong socket while you're at it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This is the fourth year I'll be trying to grow grass in this one spot in my back yard. It's in a corner by my back porch underneath a 60 year old silver maple, so it gets shade all the time. We've had bad droughts for the last 3 falls here in St. Louis (zone 6b), and I'll be honest. I didn't do a great job of keeping the new grass watered. I did a better job of watering my back yard perennials, also under the same tree, but they died too.

My wife did a much better job of watering my front yard plants, but I still had a few fatalities. In addition to last year's drought, we had the coldest winter in 30 years. Anyway, I'm wondering about my black Tropicanna. Yeah, it's zone 7, but my mom's Tropicannas do just fine in her yard, and I took some care when planting mine too. I buried it deeper and heavily mulched on top, but nothing has come up yet. I figured it died and tried digging it up, only to find that most of the rhizomes are still solid and healthy looking, but the roots all died and no shoots are starting yet. Should I give up on it?

Also, am I crazy for trying to grow a hardy fuchsia this far north?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Suave Fedora posted:

If I had a patch of patio where grass simply wouldn't grow, I'd just make a circular garden around the tree or create functionality out of it, perhaps a bench on large square pavers or something to that effect. Nature is already saying that the sunlight being filtered isn't enough to support grass, so find something that would be supported.

I can't block it off or turn it into a garden. It's the narrow strip between my fence and covered patio that allows me access to the back yard (I have a tiny yard). And I do have a plan B. If I can't get grass established this year, I'm going to put in some bugleweed there next year.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I bought a variety of flowers for my mom, but this one didn't have a tag, and neither did any of the other pots or baskets of the same. I didn't think to ask someone while I was there either.

Also, will the plants be fine sitting in my car overnight if I wait until the sun pretty much goes down before putting them in there? I've got cats wanting to get into the room to get at them, and a husband with allergies, and so if I can put them in the car tonight instead of before work (where I'll be dropping them off to my mom on the way) in the morning, that'd be ideal.

That's a begonia. You can tell from how the leaf shape isn't symmetric.

They should be fine in your car if you park it in the shade and leave the window cracked.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 8, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

We also saw these plants at the local store- can anyone identify them? They look neat.

Those are all different varieties of Stonecrop, a ground cover for full sun that stands up to drought well and can grow drat near anywhere, even in the cracks of rocks. It's such a good ground cover because broken stem sections don't die, they callus over and will grow roots once wind blows that section somewhere favorable. They're part of the genus Sedum, which is a huge genus. There are other sedum varieties that are upright and do not spread along the ground, with the same hardiness. It flowers too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

Thanks for IDing those for me! I think I'll add them to our front yard. Are they considered to be annuals/perennials? And do you just remove them from the tray the stores sell them in, and bury them slightly? And do they grow outward and spread from your initial stonecrop "tray", or do you have to buy several trays worth in order to get decent ground coverage? Just wondering how much I'll need to buy.

They're perennials, and they spread out from their original spots. That means staggering them out across the area you want them to cover. Plant them exactly like any other plant, remove them from the pot/tray they came in, fan the roots out and plant them with the top of their dirt a ground level.

How many to buy depends on how large an area you wish to cover and how soon you want complete coverage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

Awesome. I'll do this next weekend. Can they coexist with the other plants I just planted, or do they completely take things over?

Your existing plants should be fine. With ground covers, you have to worry more about them escaping across barriers. The ones you really have to worry about are the ones that can climb, like ivy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

I've got a 35 year old goldfish plant in its original pot. It's overcrowded and not doing too well. Apparently I need to trim the root ball, but I'm not sure where to start, and if I can do it without risking the plant. Any advice?

There's always some risk in messing with a plant's roots. If you want to be really safe, just repot it in a bigger pot. Word on the interwebs for goldfish plants is that they like to be slightly rootbound, so only go one pot size up.

If you're going to root prune it, then get yourself some pruning shears or a sharp knife. Get the pot off, then remove about 1/4 of the sides and bottom of the root ball. Tease the remaining roots out of the sides, then repot it with a good potting mix and water it thoroughly. Repotting plants tends to leave air pockets around the plant and the watering helps cave them in, so you might need to add more dirt to get the final soil level... level.

Shirec posted:

So I've been having problems with gnats/fruit flies in my plants recently. My one spider plant seems to be vector zero, but I can't tell if that's the true culprit. How would you go about getting rid of them? I assume they're hurting the plant.

It's been my experience that gnats do better on food than plants. Are you the typical goon slob? Another thing to check is drain traps around your place.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

party hat posted:

I have not been having luck with flowers over the last couple of Spring/Summers so perhaps you fine goons can give me some advice!

I want to plant some stuff in potters on my balcony and I never have any idea what to choose. I want something that's colourful for as long as possible and it would have to be able to thrive with our direct afternoon sunlight. It gets crazy hot on the balcony. I don't really enjoy it when everything turns into just a bunch of green leaves after a month.

Sort of related, but I'd like to grow some herbs as well, but I have no clue how they'd do in the kind of sun we get.

I will repay your generosity of information with pictures when I'm done.

Get some annuals for pretty flowers. For all year flowers, petunias and celosias are nice. In fact, the petunias would do good in a hanging basket.

Herbs should also do fine in pots on a balcony with direct afternoon sun.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 14, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If it was only planted 4 months ago, ask the landscaping company that put it in. They offer a warranty in case it dies.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shirec posted:

Ohhhh, they don't care about apple cider vinegar? That explains why a friend of mine wasn't able to make any progress getting rid of the gnats in his place as well.

There are other things you can substitute in a gnat trap. The most common I've heard of is beer. Another thing you can try is to also throw in a chunk or 2 of overripe fruit. Remember, it isn't the bait that kills the gnats, it's that they're too dumb to escape once they get inside.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

party hat posted:

I love the celosias, so whoever mentioned those, thank you!

No problem, I love celosias too. Fun fact: celosia is actually edible. Don't get too excited though, it tastes like nothing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AlistairCookie posted:

/\//\
Yes. Preferably shorter, smaller, with a more rapid spread. I like hostas, and have some in other beds, but I really want something along the lines of creeping thyme or irish moss, but can handle the shade. (They both like lots of sun, IIRC.)

Well then you're going to have a problem: "rapid spread" = aggressive. There is no ground cover that expands rapidly yet stays contained.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

EagerSleeper posted:

To answer your question about whether to prune or not to prune, err on :stare: What pollinates those flowers?

Better yet, how are the seeds dispersed?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

unprofessional posted:

That's a great little planting. I don't see any brown in that picture; do you mean the red edges? That's something most succulent growers aim for. If there is browning we can't see, best thing you can do for it is put it right outside for the summer and let nature take care of it. I put all my succulents outside and don't water them at all during the summer.

To expand on the color change he mentioned, quite a few succulents will develop a color change in part or all of their leaves when they're getting a little more than enough light. Some growers strive for it, some think it makes the plant ugly. It comes down to personal preference and won't harm the plant in any way. Personally, my zebra cactus turned an ugly rusty brown, so I moved it a little farther from the window and the color recovered after awhile. On the other hand, my jade plant will sometimes develop bright red edges on its leaves in the summer that I quite like.

Also, ax ex of mine affectionately called my lithops "butt plants". In fact, that same plant is still alive today, 8 years later and it flowers every winter. What are you guys doing with yours that makes 'em keel over like that?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 17, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kenning posted:

Based on this post of yours, you do not have a Lithops, but a Pleiospilos. They are a bit easier than Lithops, and are slightly less stringent about their water tolerances.

Nope, it's a Lithops.

The one in the foreground is the oldest. I got the age wrong, it's more like 10 years old. You can tell it's old from wide the division is. The other 2 are like 3 or 4. I wish they weren't so leggy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

Plant #2 looks like common mullein (Verbascum thapsus) It used to be used in early gardens as a medicinal plant, it's since escaped cultivation and grows all over the place now as a weed.

Some fun facts about mullein: it's a biennial, and the leaves are so big and soft, people used it for toilet paper. In fact, a name for it in the western US is "cowboy toilet paper".

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 1, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kenning posted:

Growing carnivorous plants is really fun.

I wish I had the patience for them. I tried growing some pitcher plants around my parent's pond years ago, but 2 weeks of rains ended up drowning them all. :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kenning posted:

Do you mean Sarracenia? Unless you live in a really specific sort of ecological zone they probably would have died just from soil nutrients. Sarracenia usually love the rain, so I can't imagine what happened. Also, you don't really need patience for sundews at all! Once their basic requirements are met they grow really easily, and if you feed them occasionally the grow like nuts.

I'm always trying to get people to grow carnivorous plants, hahahah.

Yeah, NA pitchers. I planted 3 different kinds, I couldn't tell you which anymore, it has been too long. The yellow one was growing quite well for a month until the rains filled the pond over the plant.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fred Lynn posted:

I found these growing yesterday but they've been there for at least the last month. They're growing in a dry creek bed. They're quite prolific. I wonder if they're another species of orchid but the plant form doesn't look very orchid-y to me, since they grow in little bushes.

Those grow wild in the woods at my parents' place. I remember my dad had book of wildflowers he got from the state conservation department that I'm pretty sure called them "horn of plenty". I also remember that the stem doesn't attach to the base of the flower. They had a little flower section aft of where the stem attached that curled back around like a, well, horn of plenty.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gegil posted:

Does anyone recognize this tree?
Growing wild in Central Texas and has large bunches of hard fruit about 15 ft off the ground.

http://imgur.com/nBHcL0G

Mexican plum?

Wait, that might not be it, yours has multiple fruit clumps.

Gegil posted:

I don't think so. The fruits are hard and woody. Not soft at all.
Would it help to get a better photo of the bark or leaves? If so I'll grab some later today.

Yeah that would definitely help. Do the fruits have just one seed inside (a pit) or do they have multiple seeds?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

A sprout is transpiring! :f5:

Any ideas what it might be? It's maybe an inch or so above ground. Willamette Valley, Oregon.

Hot dog tree! :v: Seriously, at that height with no leaves, it's too hard to tell.

Edit: OK I lied, slightly. With an outer sheath like that, it looks like some type of bulb.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 26, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I know that Muscari will put out their foliage in the fall even though they bloom in the spring.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheMightyHandful posted:

Some kind of water damage- as if the water and sun burned the leaves?

Yep, that can happen. Some plants are more susceptible to that than others. Basically, the water droplets act like magnifying glasses, and just like burning ants on the sidewalk, it can burn the leaves the same way.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

4) rotate plant every week so all sides get equal sun

Actually, this is good advice for any house plant. It helps all plants grow more evenly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

General_Failure posted:

I live in Australia on the plains by the way. Depending on who you talk to it could be called the outback.

I was wondering how you would have a peach tree in bloom right now, but then your seasons are backwards in the Southern Hemisphere, aren't they...

Well I won't lie to you, most of the people ITT live in the US, and we follow a different hardiness scale than you all use. Luckily, I found a USDA zone hardiness map for Australia. Which our our Zones does it say you live in? That will help us narrow down choices for what would survive down under. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

http://www.wisdom-earth.com/includes/images/content/hardiness_zones/aus_zone_map.jpg

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 9, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

unprofessional posted:

Where are you located? Some are hardy to the southern US.

...and super invasive there too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

Got these little white bugs all over a six year old African Violet. No clue what they are, but there are also aphids on the drat thing.

http://imgur.com/fFSKFbb
What are they, and how do I kill them?

Spider mites?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If you really want a colorful Pieris, get a Flaming Silver:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

How do people handle indoor planters without drainage holes?

I have two maidenhair ferns I would like to plant up in a few cast iron pots I've acquired, but I'm a bit worried about them having adequate drainage. Is it sufficient to fill the first 1/3rd of the pots with styrofoam and be sure not to overwater?

You can still drill cast iron. Get a 1/2" cobalt steel bit and go to town. Drainage fixed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm not sure... Chestnuts and black walnuts are both fairly upright trees, and they don't form clumps like that. Were the fruits hairy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bina posted:

My Maranta has some flaky white stuff growing on the top of the soil. Same with my catnip plant. Is it mold, and how do I treat it?

I am worried my plants are gonna die.

How hard is your water? That could just be salt.