Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

I'm sorry to interrupt this thread, but I represent the Carnivorous Plant Tribes, and I am going to have to cite you for vegetative segregation. On behalf of the Tribe of Plants That Eat Animals, I demand this thread cease and desist not having more pictures of insects being digested. In order to force compliance with aforementioned complaints, I am leaving you with these sample pictures:

"Oh, hey! Windows! I can escape back here!"

"Thith bug tatheth thfunny."

Sharing is caring.

There is a tricksy thief in this picture!

"Be vewwy quiet!"

Leperflesh posted:

My wife got this one from someone at a frog meeting. It likes to be moist and is some kind of special rare tropical plant maybe from florida? I forget the details.

Yay! A Pinguicula! Also known as a Butterwort. It's insectivorous. It wants more sunlight, so it can turn nice and pleasingly pinkish for you. Touch the leaves, they're gooey and weird! :3:

unprofessional posted:

If the stalk stays green, leave it; you'll often get smaller reblooms.

Does your leaf have wrinkles in it? If it's still nice and thick, no worries.

Your orchid is a Phalaenopsis, if you're interested in researching them.

This is what happened to the flower stalk on my neighbor's orchid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

As Kenning said, butterworts and sundews do well under the same lights. I feed my plants very little, the inside ones, and the outdoor ones never (except to show them off to someone maybe). Water quality is important. People who live in Southern California should not use tapwater. I use rainwater (I catch it in trashcans under the gutterspouts) until I run out, then I use reverse osmosis water.

Leperflesh posted:

It's going to be hard to give it more light: we don't really have a lot of well-lit indoor spots.

Should I give it some bugs? I keep flightless fruitfly cultures (to feed my dart frogs) so it'd be really easy to toss a handful in there occasionally: the container even has a glass lid!

I have always wanted to try raising CPs in a dart frog enclosure. It seems like it'd be a perfect match. Consider trying that. Don't feed the plants too many bugs. See if they are catching miller moths and/or soil gnats. You may not wish to feed them anything else if they are catching pantry pests!

Azuth0667 posted:

After seeing those carnivorous plants I very much want a few butterworts. They look cool and there are many annoying flying things around they can eat for me. Are they difficult to take care of? I tried a venus flytrap before but it didn't work out to well for me.

E: Sundews look really cool too.

Venus Flytraps are finicky little bitches. They are for advanced growers, or the very lucky. VFTs like it drier than most other CPs. In the wild, they are found growing on top of little hummocks. In captivity, give them a large pot with an airy, sandy mix. And as Kenning also said, do not tease the poor traps. They only have about six snaps to a leaf before they stop closing altogether.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Kenning posted:

Here's a Venus flytrap and a couple unidentified Drosera.

Is that the final living arrangement of these three?

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Kenning posted:

a trip to California Carnivores

Lucky! :P

Consider joining the BACPS. They're a great bunch!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

I ordered a Miracle Fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) and it arrived a few days ago. I potted it up:

And in only seven or eight years, I will be able to eat sour, miserable lemons like candy! ^_^

Kenning posted:

The one other plant I got at BACPS was this giant ping, Pinguicula gigantea. It's so cute and gooey! I want to re-pot this into a larger circular pot soon.

Glad you made it to a meeting! One of these days I want to drive up there and attend one, too. Sometimes BACPS sends spies down to the LACPS meetings. We deal harshly with these evil spying invaders by dragging them off, kicking and screaming, to Asian restaurants, where we torture them with good food and bad company.

I have a little bowl of large, adventurous pings (no pics, sorry) who like to walk around. Every season the pings move a short distance, until they reach the edge of the bowl, and then they try to climb out. In summer, the ping puts out it's big summer leaves. The roots are still short from winter. The new big leaves curl down and the plant levers itself up off the substrate. Old leaves die, it sinks down, new leaves curl out, it lifts up again, and by the time the roots catch, the plant has migrated as much as half an inch. Every few years I have to pick plants off the rim of the bowl as they try to curl their way out. I suppose in the wild, this is how they disperse. The rains could easily move them around in this unattached, rounded shape. Little carnivorous tumbleweeds!

I found a few more pics of my CPs... IN GLORIOUS THREE DEEEE!

These are crosseye stereograms.

Cooking with Nepenthes!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Kenning posted:

Those are cool pictures! How do you take stereograms? It would be fun to do for Facebook or something. Also: how do you grow your pings? I have one P. gigantea that I'm growing in the same conditions as my subtropical 'dews, but I know pings like it a little drier usually? I'm going to be building some new grow spaces soon, so I'd be glad to know what works for you! And I guess I should make my way down to LA sometime. I could use some good food with weird plant people.

My experience with this particular ping, whose exact identity is uncertain (it's large, with a light purple flower), is it grows in whatever pot you put it in. It came to me potted in sandy peat. I recently repotted in that Chilean sphagnum from Lowe's.

The stereograms were crudely composed by taking a picture, sliding the camera over about three inches, and taking another. Then I fiddled about with cropping and positioning until I was able to get them into focus.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

This thread has grown well, with so many talented gardeners to help it! It took me a while to catch back up, but the trip was grand!

Sorry for replying to stale content...

Kenning posted:

Sundews and Pinguicula loving wreck gnats btw.

I've been invaded by some kind of gnat that wrecks THEM. Never seen the like. Only things that survived were the Aussie fork-leafs (Drosera binata), probably because their dormant form is especially tough. But they were coming up smaller and smaller.

My cure was to take a No-Pest strip, cut off about a 12mm slice it, and cut that into cubes. I took a gumball capsule and made some holes in one end of the capsule. I put a few of the No-Pest strip cubes into the capsule and set it on the soil of an afflicted pot, holes down, for about three days. Moved it around from pot to pot wherever I saw soil gnat activity.

You have to re-treat a pot at least once, so that you don't miss newly-hatched vermin. Three days on, three days off, then three days on again. Just like treating snake mites.

Bonus: Not finding gnats swimming in my coffee cup anymore!

The pots look drenched because I'd just added some water to check for gnat activity. They'd hop all around whenever I would add water.

Kenning posted:

Drosera burmannii caught a fly! Click for big big.

I love how you can so clearly see the fringe of snap tentacles on the one leaf. Nice work!

Kenning posted:

So my competition pot of Drosera burmannii is coloring up really well in advance of the BACPS Annual Show and Sale on the 21st.

Oh, how yummy! Now I want one too!

Tremors posted:

My Synsepalum dulcificum is fruiting! :toot:

Mine is still alive, has added four or five leaves. Can't wait for fruit! How old is this thing? How long do I have to wait?

(This is the same picture I already posted from when I got it. Sorry, no current picture, I really should take one.)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

General Apathy posted:

I've recently acquired a sundew (Drosera capensis)which is my first sundew and I am a little worried about over feeding it.
As you can see in the picture below it has caught itself a large number gnats that have come out of some seedling pots near bye.
Is this going to be a problem for the plant, should I try and remove some of the gnats?

Nope, he'll be fine. Gnats are good food for them. They're tiny, so they digest fast and don't have time to rot or mold. Try to keep the humidity up, it'll help the tentacles stay sticky.

Is that a ghost capensis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Shame Boner posted:

Plants in General: My yard is Thunderdome.

I like this thread title better.