Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Very cool plants you guys have. I fell in love with succulents after seeing the great succulent room at the NY Botanical Garden. I really don't know much about them though, but I'd love to be able to find some of the more unusual varieties.

unprofessional posted:

I am also into rare conifers and grafting.

Well, that's a sentence I've never heard before, and may never hear again. But I think it's awesome that you're doing it. What do you use as rootstock, is there a gold standard species for conifer grafting?

unprofessional posted:

Check out those possible witches brooms and get pictures! They're out there more than people realize, and you could name your own cultivar!

I thought witches brooms formed because of hormonal response to stress damage from pathogens. So can they really be considered "cultivars" if the DNA of the plant is unchanged from wildtype? Or are they considered cultivars because the pathogen is still present in the grafting and therefore continuing the effects, and thus you can continue the lineage only through grafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

I love seeing everybody's pictures (I wish my snake plant looked half that good) and hope people keep posting more, so here's two of my succulent terrariums.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

I love oleander, it's one of the plants I really miss from the Deep South, along with live oaks and magnolias. (Real magnolias, not those boring little dwarf magnolias that can grow anywhere).

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

dinozaur posted:

This was one of my favorite succulents from many years ago until it was destroyed in a move. Anyone have a clue what it may be?

I would also love to know what this is called, if anyone knows. That's a cool, creepy little plant.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

That's a very cool pattern.

I had 25 beautiful orchids in great shape, but then I moved somewhere in the dead of winter where my belongings had to be in storage for a month, so I had to give them all away so that they wouldn't die. I'm still pretty sad about it, because I haven't seen any nice orchids for sale in the area I live in now.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

That Vanda wants to make out.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Peppervine maybe?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

EagerSleeper posted:

Off topic, but Timor Black Bamboo (Bambusa lako) is my new obsession right now. That blackness is just so sexy. :syoon:

Shame that my local nursery wants to charge me $150-$300 for a 7 gallon plant, while also seeds for them are very rare. I can certainly dream though...

That's super awesome, I want it too.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

gender illusionist posted:

Floriferous is a fantastic word.

Look what my cactus did:

Beautiful. That cactus must be very proud.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Not sure where to post, so I hope in here is okay.

I'm a first time gardener whatsoever, and I want to specialize in exotic hibiscus. I'll post pictures of my blooms when they, you know, bloom. Probably won't be until next year or something.

But for now, I've got a question. Having just seen this thread and the plant in the OP, anyone here dealt with rex begonias? Ss it possible to grow the rex begonia in my hardiness zone 9b? Some research says that it grows in zones 10 and 11. I plan on keeping this plant inside and near a window. I don't want to grow it too huge, just enough to make an interesting centerpiece on my dining table.

The Hardiness zones don't matter a bit for what you keep indoors. And you could plant a Rex Begonia as a summer annual easily anywhere in America, the Hardiness zone tells you what can thrive year round. In your case, 9B is probably warm enough for year round planting if you choose a location with a warmer micro-climate, like near some stones, or a brick wall, etc.

Rex begonias aren't very fast-growing, so you don't need to worry about that. They do need enough bright, indirect light in order to keep the bright variegation though. So if your dining room table is in the middle of a room, that's probably not close enough to a window for a long-term happy begonia. But if you just want it to look nice for 4 months, it'd be fine.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

speaksoftly posted:

Does anyone here use grow lights? Right now I have a cactus, a steel plant and a evergreen inside for the winter and I know they aren't getting enough light. I can't move them into the room with the best light because it gets cold in there very easily. Would one of these work? http://amzn.to/1hFAVF9 Or, am I going to have to find a way to chisel out room and use something like this? http://amzn.to/19jlwHR

If you put the high-watt CFL inside a clamp reflector, it will work well for one plant, but it probably won't have enough spread for multiple plants. You can get cheaper set-ups than the T5 stand you linked by just buying a T8 shop-light from a Home Depot kind of place.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Yeah that is a ridiculously good price for jade plant that old, pretty jealous.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

unprofessional posted:

Took some pictures around the pond, yesterday.

Perry's Orange Sunset:

Black Princess:

I never knew lilies could be so beautiful. This makes me want a pond.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Might actually be too hot for the Lupines. I don't know any official info about them, but I do know I seem them everywhere in the many zone 6 areas I've lived in, and never once in the zone 8 region I lived in.

Costello Jello fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Looks like a black walnut tree from this distance, although I wouldn't call their fruit spiny.