Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

unprofessional posted:

This is an Echinopsis, of which there is a fantastic collection of hybrids that the Huntington garden sells for only $7 a plant, if you're looking to start collecting.
I should not have clicked on that site because now I am like 100 bucks poorer! Holy crap those are beautiful! Exploring those catcus also led me to
http://www.mattslandscape.com/trichocereus/ I've never seen flowers like this. Fortunately I don't have any more farting around cash til I get paid again. Can't wait to get these into the ground.

Ironically, the array of tiny succulents I just ordered are going to be potted right next to my container pond. Apparently I'm only interested in plants that either don't want water or live it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fister Roboto posted:

My sister-in-law got me a succulent as a gift. She told me it needs a lot of direct sunlight, but I live in an apartment with North-facing windows so I only get direct sunlight for like two weeks out of the year. Do I need to buy a lmap to keep this thing alive?
It has been my limited experience that as long as a succulent gets at least a little water and a little light, the worst that will happen is that it will basically just not grow. They are survivors and while many need ideal conditions to grow well, most just sort of enter this stasis when conditions are not right. Different than, say, a fern, which just says "gently caress you" and dies if things are not perfect.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My roses liked the extra rain we got here in Northern California.

I'm also in Nor Cal. Question for you. Roses in containers on my north facing balcony: Horrible idea, or most horrible idea? Starting in early march, as the sun gets high enough over the roof, it gets an hour or two of sunlight, and in mid April right now, we get a few hours of morning and a few hours of afternoon sun. I'm not 100% sure since we moved in during Feb, but I believe it will get full sun in peak summer.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Anyone have experience building planters for railings? We have a pretty small patio but we have a metal fence around it that has a flat top rail that is 1 3/4" wide. Big Box store planters all seem to be build for much wider wood railings. Ideally we would buy/create a system where we could put planters on both sides of the railing to massively increase our square footage. Something like this would let us attach planter boxes, but we would still need to buy the boxes and at 40 bucks a pair, those are some expensive brackets.

I was actually thinking about some kind of balanced system where the planter boxes on each side of the railing (front and back) are attached and balance each other, but there don't seem to be many examples of that out there.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Oodles posted:

Thank gently caress I found this thread.

What's a weed here and what's a plant? I'm happy knowing to leave the tulips.

I need to tidy this bed up.
Beaten, but yeah, everything there is a plant. The only difference between a good plant and a bad (weed) plant is whether you want it there or not.

The Snoo posted:

eat the dandelions

my parents have these individual brackets that hang over their ~1 inch metal railings and they use 2 for each long box planter, but I literally cannot find a picture of them anywhere?????? they seem sturdy and they don't require being screwed into anything, they just hang over the railing and support the box. I'll keep looking~

e: holy poo poo they're so expensive what the hell

http://www.sears.com/panacea-89058-...0&blockType=G20 ??????

I like the idea of doubling them up, a planter on each side of the railing. I hope you can find something suitable. we're going to be looking for similar things soon for our new apartment.
Ya it would be pretty simple to double them up. I might make two tiered wood planters for the interior side of the railing, with the second, higher planter box at railing height. Then I would just need hooks/brackets for the exterior side (where I will hang bacopa, geraniums, whatever).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

There are a lot of them for sale here, both single and double; maybe they could give you some inspiration. (Ignore the ones for wider railings.) I have the opposite problem in that my deck railings are too wide to upgrade to the ones I wanted here. :( And my planters are really shallow in the middle, such that the root portion of most nursery plants won't easily fit. It's going to take a lot of soil and watering to stay on top of them this year.
Yeah, was looking at those. Hard to find something with 10"+ depth though. I know that makes it heavy but 6-7" really limits what you can plant to annuals and herbs.

I think I may just end up building my own out of pressure treated fence boards - found a few pretty simple plans.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Has anyone done a Xeric/Drought tolerant style container garden? The sun has finally broken over the roof on our small north facing patio here in San Jose and I can already tell its going to absolutely bake everything during the summer. We have a lot of stuff planted but want to transition to a plant list and container plan for next year that is more tolerant of the heat.

Thinking of going with a handful of bigger, deeper containers so they can hold water better. CA native stuff like Agastache/Penstemon/Salvia etc should all grow just fine in containers, right? Only real concern is that the patio gets only a few hours of winter sun, until the sun rises high enough and then its all day. Will those plants still flower?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The Snoo posted:

my tomato plant set a few tomatoes!

they have blossom end rot!
:hfive: Me too! I got a liquid calcium supplement last week and it seems to have stabilized them as new tomatoes look clean.

I've been looking for a quality balcony solution for our new apartments patio. It has a 1.5" rectangular metal railing and I can't find anything at Home Depot/Lowes or local gardening store that is designed for metal railings. Ideally I would like to fill the whole 8 foot patio and be able to put legit heavy planter boxes/pots across the entire thing. Since I want to put it on the outside of the railing, its really important that it is sturdy and overbuilt since a pot falling onto the walkway below would be really bad. Not adverse to spending a couple of hundred bucks to get something versatile and well made.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not sure what you mean by "legit heavy"exactly but searching Amazon for "balcony planter" gives loads of trough/basket results, some of which say in the details that they'll fit 1 3/4" rails
Everything seems designed for small, shallow planters. I can't seem to find anything built to hold pots larger than 10", which is on the small end for the larger perennials that I would like to put in there. I have not yet come across anything that looks like it will confidently support 40+ pounds.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya fair point. Its actually not so much a balcony as an extension of the second story landing where the top two units enter their front doors.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I picked up a Salvia Clevelandii "'Winnifred Gilman' to put in a container since it is something of a dwarf variety. I originally was not interested in Cleveland Sage since it gets absolutely HUGE and I dislike the funky smell, but I came across this variety and wow, the smell is so good. It is this lemony mint smell with just a hint of a smoky tang and I can't get enough of it. Supposedly it is a tough variety to grow but I've got it in a mix that is almost half Perlite (gently caress that stuff is pricey) so it better do well.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I recently got into container gardening of drought tolerant plants capable of withstanding a lot of full sun and I’m not doing well. I bought 3 medium sized Texas Sage and i think I’ve overwatered them. Leaves are drooping and some are yellowing and falling off. Is there a chance they’ll come back if I just lay off the water for a week, or are they done?
Maybe. What kind of soil are they planted in?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

And these guys keep everything running, can't work here if you're afraid of bumblebees and flying insects in general.

What a fascinating thing. Looks like you just raise one end of the cardboard lid to reveal the entrance and exit slots for the bees and off they go.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I think I'm killing my 'Winifred Gilman' Cleveland Sage. Despite the flower stalks continuing to grow and now open up, many of the leaves are yellowing and falling off. It is in a container that is basically half sand with a little perlite and the rest cactus mix. Should I literally not water it now that its summer? I'm getting conflicting information that it can't handle any summer water OR that this variety is more tolerant of garden water. Last week I went about 4 days with no water to see if that helped, but the tips started to droop (which I usually take as a sign that a plant needs water).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shame Boner posted:

It's a regular ol' fashioned daylily (Hemerocallis fulva) which isn't actually a lily. Also known as a tawny lily, ditch lily, or "tiger lily" (to intentionally confuse it with the actual tiger lily, Lilium lancifolium). The blooms only last for a day or two before shriveling up and falling to the ground. Everything on a daylily is edible, from the tubers that resemble little fingerling potatoes to the blooms; I'm gonna fry up a good helping of both this year. They provide excellent erosion control.

Daylily HATES competition and has no trouble displacing most natives and grasses. They're extremely hardy; I have daylily plants I dug up in February happily living soil-free in a neglected corner of my yard. Someday they'll probably break in and strangle my houseplants in retaliation. They're dead easy to divide and propogate; the tubers can be separated and planted individually, but for me this is too much work. Just chop the things up with a shovel and throw em somewhere you want lilies.
Daylily's are in the same "Ooops I blended them with the law mower and somehow they came back" category with Mint.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Clematis are on my "as soon as I move from my apartment to a house" list - so amazing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The leaves of my container planted 'Blue Fortune' Hyssop/Agastache are slowly turning yellow from the bottom. Interestingly, there are clear pink lines on the leaves along the veins. This is the second year of the plant, and it bloomed well last year when planted. Died back so I cut it to the ground this spring and it is now 2+ feet tall with the first flower spikes just starting to emerge. Its in a container with Garnet Penstemon and Purple Ignition Salvia, both of which are fine. Its planted in a super high drain soil mix that is about 60% sand or perlite and the rest cactus mix. Been getting daily water up until last week, when I stopped watering thinking it was maybe too much. Can't emphasize how well this pot drains - I can water in the morning and by night time following an 80 degree day, the soil is dry to 4" or more. I also watered every day all summer last year to no ill affects.

Mostly I'm worried that it will continue to spread up the plant and kill it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I planted a few containers last spring with drought hardy flowering plants, specifically Agastache varieties. On the advice of the internet, I let the dead stems stand all winter "so birds could eat the seeds". All of them came back this spring and today, I went to go pinch the stems and clear out what I thought were some weeds growing in the containers.

To my surprise, I realize that almost every single one of the "weeds" was actually a sprouted and growing Agastache seedling! I'm tempted to leave them as I ended up wishing I had planted more of them in each pot last year, as they grow fairly spindly and it wasn't as thick as I wanted. Should I just let them grow and nature takes its course, or should I thin them out at some point? Maybe wait til they get bigger and try to transplant?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Be careful learning proper pruning. Once you've learned it, you can't unsee all the lovely rear end trees that are basically everywhere. Every parking lot is full of lion-tailed, mulch volcanoed, topped, codominant garbage trees.

:nws:

Oh god, what have I done. I spent half an hour going down the rabbit hole of proper tree pruning and all I can see now when driving around are lion-tailed trees with weak structure :ohdear:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I am totally doing the bottom left thing with apple and peach trees along the side of my house. It has great soil and gets tons of sunlight, and it isn’t currently being used for anything else.
Dunno how well that will work with peach trees. Remember that they flower/fruit on young branches, while apples and pears will fruit from the same spurs for many years.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Stark Bros seem to think peaches work well for espaliers, but they don’t really go into any detail on how, and I know relatively little about fruit trees. Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Oh, you mean peaches only grow on young branches and the espalier will limit the number of branches we can have.

... well poo poo.

To be honest, I don't know why they would say that. Sure, you could grow it in a "fan" form or something, but stone fruit trees are just not suited for the classic espalier designs. When you see those 100 year old orchards in Europe with decorative espalier fruit trees, its pretty much all apple/pear. Stone fruit just 1) grows way too crazy fast and 2) doesn't fruit on spurs.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya stakes are pretty overkill in most situations. Landscapers use them because they want to plant a bunch of trees, set the watering timer and then literally never deal with it again. People see those "professional trees" with a stake on either side and a mound of mulch, and then think they need to do all that for a peach tree that will grow like a weed no matter what you do.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The two sunflower seeds I planted last weekend have just started to peek through the soil. Now it's a race to the death for one to avoid being the weaker one that's going to be pulled.
Why pull one? Let em both live!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Any recommendation for some flowers that would grow well on an East facing balcony? Something that won't mind only ~4-6 hours of direct sun a day.
Is it more 4 hours or more 6 hours? 6 hours is pretty close to "full" sun and most plants outside of the absolutely sun worshiping ones will flower just fine with that much direct sun. If its more like 4, and its full shade outside of that (as opposed to dappled/filtered sunlight or reflected light) then you might struggle to get amazing blooms from more plants.

My go to flowering plant for part sun is Lobelia. Here is one of mine that gets about 3 hours of morning sun, then another 4-6 of part shade/heavily filtered light from a tree.

The magenta is so saturated that the iphone sensor seems to have a hard time with it. This was one of those 6 pack trays of little plants from a Home depot for like 4 bucks. Its like this for most of the year here in the bay area.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Thanks! Smell would be nice.

I haven't timed it. Probably more like 6 in the summer with longer days. The balcony would get sun a bit after dawn since it's blocked by the other apartment building across the parking lot, so probably -1 hour. Then it gets blocked at mid-day by the balcony above, so maybe -1 hours again. After noon, the sun is above or on the other side of the apartment. So it's uninterrupted, full sun for ~half the day, but weighted entirely towards the morning.

For reference, I was able to grow chinese forget-me-nots (cynoglossum amabile) perfectly well, other than having trouble giving enough water.
If you are happy with how the chinese forget-me-nots flowered, then most things will probably be fine. Stay away from sun worshiping stuff like Sunflowers and Agastache, and at worst you might get solid but not amazing blooms from some plants.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

How do climbing roses and peach trees fare in partial shade/sun? I’m thinking roses might be alright in partial sun, but I’ll probably need to prune back some oak branches above my house before I can plant a peach tree.
Peach trees, like all stonefruit, worship the sun. I'm less familiar with climbing roses but I think you would just end up with fewer/not a lot of flowers.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

My family has had 3 wisteria bushes in my lifetime and not a single one has flowered. What are we doing wrong?
How much sun? Are you fertilizing it? Does it get pruned and if so, when?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ya, a Japanese Maple could be a good choice although that depends on the size of the balcony.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Its ok to use Tropical/Mexican milkweed, but you need to remember that in many places, it wont die back in the winter. All milkweed should be sheared to the ground in winter to stop the spread of a really nasty parasite that is doing a lot of harm to monarch populations. CA native milkweeds will usually do that on their own, but Tropical species like A. curassavica need to be cut down.

The other issue is that species like curassavica spread like CRAZY when they poo poo out all of those fluffy seed pods. Even if you cut down your milkweed, wild populations of Tropical milkweed are hurting the populations.

From personal experience, I think the best way to get monarchs is to plant a lot of the same milkweed. Otherwise they may not be able to detect your plants - the more you put in one spot, the easier it will be for them to find the plants.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Anyone have experience growing CA native plants in containers? I have a patio that gets full sun April-October (north facing) and a small yard that is partly sunny, and I'm on year three of killing sage and lavender. I just can't figure it out, although this year has been more successful than last. I'm starting to think the key is to take the sun down a notch from what they would want in the ground, i.e. sage that loves full sun when ground planted should get only part sun in a container. But its still a mess.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Any ideas on a garden planning tool that will let me visually show what the garden would roughly look like from a normal view? I'm thinking of those garden design books where the show the top down plan of what goes where, then a sort of street view of the finished garden with plants in bloom at their correct heights and so forth. I'm helping my parents turn their suburban lawn into a CA natives meadow but I want to be able to play around with different heights and sizes of plants.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

So I didnt trust the seed coverage recommendation for a wildflower mix I put in my new 6'x4' raised bed and appear to have way over seeded. This is the mix. Says it covers 624 sq ft and I used half the package for 24 sq ft! 3 weeks later and I have so many seedlings coming up that it looks like lawn in some spots. Should I let it ride or aggressively thin it? If so, should I do it now or wait til the plants are bigger? Most are still in the cotyledon stage. Just grab clumps with my thumb and forefinger and make space? First time doing seeds so I'm a bit lost.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

Haha I get this question at work a lot so you're not alone. Nobody believes us and are often used to seed packages that are 98% filler. You can thin them some now and as they grow keep an eye on areas that look overly thick. It's not the end of the world and dont worry too much about it. Next time add clean sand to the seed and it will make it easier to spread over a larger area.
Ya no kidding. I think I will just do some thumb and forefinger pinching of clumps to make a checkerboard of open soil and then just let things go. I want an overgrown look but not if it costs me flowers. Hopefully its a nice looking patch by mid May for my daughters first birthday (we got a super cute wood sign off Etsy that says "Ellie's Fairy Garden").

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

That does sound cute hah. One of my big motivators to clean up vast yard and plant pretty and interesting poo poo everywhere was for kids so I totally understand the reasoning. Now I’m just obsessed with weirder and weirder plants so w/e
I feel you, I developed an Echinopsis/Trichocereus hybrid cactus addiction the year before having a kid. Not ideal :D

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

Lol, wife put the kibosch on cacti and agave pretty much immediately for same reason.
I ended up putting them in the corner of our fourplex's yard and then a wall of planters with more friendly plants to block little kids. Then I'll grab a pot if its in bloom and put it on our patio for a few days while it flowers.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Tremors posted:

Costco had a pack of Acidanthera 'Murielae' bulbs. The flowers looked cool so of course I bought it. Now I need to figure out what to do with 120 bulbs. :v:

The costco plant bulb packs are absolutely amazing value. Last year I got one that had a few Red Hot Pokers, 8 purple coneflower and like 60 Blazing Star corms and I think everything single thing grew really well.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Despite thinning a couple of times, my wildflower bed is still SUPER thick. It looks like I'm growing a lawn out here. I'm starting to worry because the places where the seedlings are not as thick, the plants are starting to get noticeably bigger. Should I keep doing modest thinning on this bed or just go buck wild and rip a bunch out? Let it ride? Goal is still to be in full flower in 2 months.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm definitely going for the overgrown look. Its going to be my daughters "fairy garden" after all :) Ideally I don't see any soil and its just a jungle of different green leaves with all kinds of different flowers shooting out all over the place.

Also this is just one corner of a 6'x4' bed and I don't see myself on my hands and knees sorting through every seedling. I'll likely just start by making a checkerboard of empty soil by pinching out clumps of plants and then just sort of thin from there? The other issue is that its got like 12 different seeds in the mix and I don't want to end up leaving only seedlings from a few varieties.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhEB_8r5XA&t=164s
This video was sort of part of my inspiration, I can't leave them that thick though? His seedlings look super thick.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2020

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There's no right answer! Pump enough fertilizer and water in there and you might could leave it as thick as it currently is. If you just start randomly grabbing seedlings and pulling them out it'll go faster than you think. I've had zinnias come up almost that thick and been too lazy to thin them and still gotten zinnia flowers, they just were half the the height and the flowers were half the size they normally are. Your daughter will think they are cool and fun whether they are flowers an inch across or 6" across. Tiny child fingers are also very nimble at thinning seedlings, and the earlier you start them playing in the dirt the better, IMO, plus she'll probably think it's fun and be invested in it. Let some go to seed and collect the seeds for next year's garden too!
I went ahead and thinned it again. I just pulled out clumps and made a bunch of quarter sized dirt patches, then attacked any especially thick areas a little more closely. Impossible to figure out which seedlings are strong and which are just different varieties. Its no where near thinned the way you suggested, but I pulled out about a basketball of greenery and I'm willing to fertilize to get flowers. Lots of learnings from this bed, as they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Ailanthus altissima, or as they call it in its native land, “foul-smelling tree”, is one of the worst.
Its all over the freeway edges in some spots in the bay area, what a lovely plant.