Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
There’s a real apropos one that just says “tree” but it might be locked up in fyad unless you grab tags from all over using mod magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

I can tell you where it is if that helps.

It’s at https://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/fyad-tree.gif

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hmm. Let's see if I can do some cathax.

Hah awesome

Edit: well poo poo lol

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 3, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

If the hax worked the thing I'd need is actually the tag ID, but I tested with one we don't have access to and it didn't work so

Makes sense, hopefully admins will send it over to DIY choices :qfg:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been given a glimpse behind the curtain at how thread tags work, and by god it's another radium special.

Please stand by while I build up the resilience to start a separate thread tag thread.

lol I had a feeling it would end up like this

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Finally seeing some buds start to come out which is great. 2019 was a tough plant year between the insanely hot and dry summer plus the regular ravages of deer/bunnies. We had a lot of fallen soldiers along the way this time around, even before the hardcore frosts came unseasonably early. Real happy to see some survivors managed to pull through all the bull poo poo!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

uh I'm going to have to hard disagree and say you can definitely overeater meat but its up to each persons palate, but I throw a little in a lot of dishes for sure. Definitely can't overeater basil though :3:

lol hoisted on your own autocorrect petard

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Good luck goon

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Idk if any of you are in or around NC but big plant nerd event is happening next weekend: https://indyweek.com/news/wake/Juniper-level-botanic-garden-open/

Incredible collection of rare and unusual perennials, place is often closed to the public. The retail store Plant Delights is also open to public on these days too so you can pick up some truly insane poo poo without refinancing the mortgage to pay for shipping

https://www.plantdelights.com

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

-snip-

So uh, go grow plant some camellias if you can I guess.

Awesome post. One of my favorite plants, have four varieties in the ground now as strictly ornamental/feature plants and hoping to add more as time goes on to replace the front hedge which is currently a lovely privet, wild holly, and poison ivy bramble

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Man I'm on my third attempt of sprouting plum seeds but it looks like I'm loving up the opening of the pit every time.

I was sure that I was careful cracking the pit with a hammer this time (as I was last time) and on initial inspection everything seemed fine, but sure enough a week into my napkin germination attempt I unfold it and all three seeds are cracked and splintered.

Any amazing suggestions for getting a pit open correctly? :sigh:

Are you just like against rooting or buying a potted plant? This seed cracking poo poo seems like a huge pain in the rear end lol

But to be helpful, I found one article that suggested using a nutcracker instead of a hammer for finer control. Maybe that would help??

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

You can grow the plum seedlings of your dreams, then graft some beloved cultivars onto them.

Put a tree from the nursery in the ground this year and kill two birds with one stone: it will give you scion material for grafting and it will be a productive tree in its own right.

Absolutely this. For example, I put two pawpaw trees in the ground pronto as soon as I decided that I wanted them, but over the winter I’ve had like 8 seeds in the fridge to chill for germination, going to plant in the next couple weeks. Always nice to have some sure bets and then some :shrug: experiments just for fun/bonus

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
One last suggestion from my wife after telling her about this thread: instead of hitting the seed with the hammer, treat it more like a nasturtium seed and score it thoroughly with a nail file. That’s more like actual digestive scarification and doesn’t run the risk of loving up the inside

Edit: I really do love the mental image of “you will germinate you BITCH” as he swings the hammer downward toward the plum pod lol

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 19, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
That does sound cute hah. One of my big motivators to clean up vast yard and plant pretty and interesting poo poo everywhere was for kids so I totally understand the reasoning. Now I’m just obsessed with weirder and weirder plants so w/e

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

I feel you, I developed an Echinopsis/Trichocereus hybrid cactus addiction the year before having a kid. Not ideal :D

Lol, wife put the kibosch on cacti and agave pretty much immediately for same reason.

Made out pretty well at that Plant Delights open house. If y’all ever get the chance to go, it was actually very fun and I saw some seriously strange plants. I ended up playing it pretty safe and got:

trillium: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/trillium-ludoviciatum-the-smiths

butchers broom: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/ruscus-aculeatus-elizabeth-lawrence

wild ginger: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/asarum-nobilissimum-iron-butterfly

and edgeworthia paper bush: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/edgeworthia-chrysantha-snow-cream

I’m really just focusing on getting the shade garden right bc if I start thinking about everywhere else we need to plant I’ll get overwhelmed by all the choices. At least with the shade garden I have a strong Appalachian mountains theme that I can follow without much problem picking plants.

That said I definitely wanted like ten other plants but had to exercise restraint. Especially when it comes to poo poo like this, the mighty pig butt arum: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/helicodiceros-muscivorus lmao

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jestery posted:

Hey my dudes I'm coming into some sweet potato sprouts and want to do a potato Tower of some type

My shows that it's a little unrealistic to expect a meter tall tower to be productive and there is a point of diminishing returns.

Can I have a goon perspective on potato towers?

They seem really easy to me in all the videos I’ve seen of them, very productive. How many potatoes are you trying to get out of this thing? Also couldn’t you just make it higher than a meter?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I feel like I'm probably just being a dumb poo poo, but does anyone know what kind of aloe (that's as specific as the tag at the nursery got) this is? I'm guessing it's some common variety but I am having no luck.

Well friend, first off: that’s an agave not an aloe

In good news it looks pretty drat healthy!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I think that looks good. Pretty much what I was picturing in my head on how I’d do it, maybe like 2 ft vs 1 but otherwise the same. Good luck goon

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey folks I have a very important announcement to make.

I currently have exactly 69 sprouted dahlias.

That is all.

nice

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I also want to plant some gardenia bushes in our backyard, along the wall of our patio. I’m hoping it’s not too late in the year to do this. And that gardenia jasminoides will tolerate dappled sun and/or partial shade.

Completely fine to plant right now, just watch them during summer droughts like the other poster said. I’m putting a very little gardenia in the ground later today

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm really not ok with spraying insecticide indiscriminately. That's just going to kill all the beneficial insects at the same time, and at that point what am I even pretending to accomplish by gardening, you know?

Repellent sprays and stuff like permethrin clothing just aren't good enough. I'm talking about swarms of the things all up in your face when all you're trying to do is pop out back to water things real quick.

What’s your yard like? When we moved into our house, the vast majority of the property had been treated as a giant trash bag for god knows how long by former residents. The mosquitos were thick as a fog thanks to all the extremely clutch breeding pools from that trash collecting standing water.

I spent literally months taking truckload after truckload of the most random poo poo to the dump, which significantly included 35 old tires. In addition, I also located natural still pools (like tree hollows etc) and put larvae killer inside. I’ve also irritated my neighbor by getting her to let me root around in her woods and property as well to find anything else that could serve as a breeding pool.

Point is, I’ve seen the mosquito population drop precipitously ever since I began this jihad. I still have some outstanding goals (and still mosquitos...) but between loving up their ideal environment and doing typical anti-mosquito maintenance like diligently cleaning gutters, I think I’m really beating their asses. Not nearly as titanic an issue as they used to be, and you can sit outside more or less without worry if you’re at all near the sunlight.

So while I doubt you live on big rear end pile of garbage, it might be worth scoping out good habitats and loving them up proactively.

Also I bought one of those expensive propane powered mosquito traps and never had much success with it, so buyer beware with those things imo. Maybe someone else has had better experiences with them

Sorry for long post; owning these fuckers has been a multi-year passion project for me rofl. And they STILL plague me in the shade garden, so my hanzo is not yet sheathed....

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

They either grow mold or they just spontaneously turn colour one day, I'm not really sure how to keep it from happening

Big time sounds like overwatering to me as well. What kinds of plants are you trying to keep alive?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is a Bibiani rhododendron iirc? I got it from the local botanical gardens plant sale that usually has well adapted stuff, but idk what it’s little deal is. I had it in the shade and it didn’t die but it didn’t really grow or bloom either so I moved it to a little more sun and now the leaves get scorched. I have tons of azaleas (evergreen indicas and deciduous) and they all do fine :shrug: I think our long hot summers are the problem, but the botanical gardens has some of the same variety. Theirs are planted on a NE slope and that probably helps. Mine is on flat ground so maybe it’s a drainage thing, but my soil is pretty well drained for the most part.

Not super familiar with bibiani but when I got my catawbiense they told me to take care of it like it was a new plant for two full years before loving with it in any way, especially in terms of watering regularly and never pruning. So my impression was that rhodies likely do not tolerate aggravation very well at all. Thus I planted them and watered regularly but otherwise left alone.

They didn’t really do poo poo the first year except for the blooms they already had from the growhouse and then had some dieback, second year they looked like pure poo poo and had like a single flower each. Now on year three were looking at multiple flowers per plant, everything looking stronger and more flush, they’re still a little stringy in growth habit but lots of nice new growth as well

All this to say that at least for me that advice was right and that these things need serious patience to actually establish themselves. Moving them probably sucks rear end for the plant. Ymmv of course

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mostly herbs (I was doing really well at basil until it, too, grew mold), sometimes those dumb 'regrow vegetables from scraps!' lifehacks, all in pots in my apartment window sill bc I don't have a porch.

It's a wonder to me that any plants grow outside if they're so finicky under human care

Herbs in my experience very much love to be outside and heavily watered in good draining soil. Lots and lots of sunlight and water. What’s your setup like?

Plants grow badass outside because we haven’t snatched them from their natural environment where they were evolved to live. Growing potted and inside plants is a testament to how tough they are; even insanely restricted and divorced from their traditional locale, they still manage to ball out

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 11, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

Unfortunately I do not have an outside - no porch, no backyard, not allowed to hang anything on the outside of my windows. Like I said, I've just had pots on my windowsill. I only have south facing windows, most of them are directly above the radiator, and I'm in Toronto if that helps give an idea of the climate. I'm not sure if any other details are important re: 'setup'

Yeah my bad, I had read that but wasn’t sure if you have a grow light or something that could provide a lot of extra light, which in my opinion is probably the root of your issue

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any recommendations on nice looking, bee-friendly, hippy/dippy trees our shrubs we could plant to replace the lilacs once the new fence is in?

Oh man so many. What’s the sun exposure like in the area you’ll be planting in?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

How long can (I assume dormant) bare-root and potted trees survive without being planted?

My espalier trees just came in today and I still need to finish setting up my trellis.

EDIT: And another question, so I don’t have to doublepost.

We just had some guys replace our fence out where these trees are gonna go, which is where my ground cover is, but I never cleaned up the animal poo poo that was lying around out there beforehand, and apparently the fence dudes stepped in it and tracked it everywhere all over the cover. Now I don’t want to walk around there cuz I’m paranoid it’s gonna get on my shoes. And just because poo poo grosses me extremely the gently caress out and I’m probably weirder about it than most people.

This is a dumb question, but is there a way to sanitize ground cover that may have cat poo poo all over it? Maybe with a sprayer? I’d like to avoid buying all new ground cover if I can.

Bare root plants need to covered with dirt ASAP whether in a pot or the ground, otherwise they’ll dry out and “yeah, rip.” Potted trees will be fine pretty indefinitely until they get root bound and choke themselves out. And just spray the cat poo poo off of the ground cover with a hose rofl, you’re being very extra about encountering poo poo in the outside world

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They line the western side of my property and for the most part get good sun. A couple of mildly shady spots due to a neighboring ash and maple tree.

It'll suck to tear them out. The birds really loved using them as cover when going to and from my feeder.

Alright I meant to make a big list last night but ended up drinking wine on the porch and talking plant stuff with a buddy since poo poo is FINALLY blooming, so here’s my starter list from phone, I’ll go back and edit in actual scientific names and other selections later when it’s not such a bitch to look them up and I’m not just going from memory. Forgot to ask your zone but most of these should live unless you’re somewhere crazy. Tried to think mostly of plants that will at least be somewhat similar to the bushing nature of the lilacs:

Azalea (native deciduous if you want to be cool)
Oakleaf hydrangea
Butterfly bush (sterile varieties only)
Red buckeye/painted buckeye
Viburnum plicatum
Dogwood
Quince
Fothergilla
Camellia japonica (see the ultra post a couple pages back for more details)
Rhododendron if there’s a real shady spot
Spirea
Mahonia in shady spot
Sweet shrub
Chaste tree
Witchhazel in shady spot

Also supplement those woody plants with flowering perennials, that way you’ve always got some interest with new stuff going on and flowers to feed those pollinators:

Coneflower
Joe Pye Weed
Lavender
Baptisia (insanely good pick)
Creeping phlox
Salvia
Speedwell
Balloon flower
Hellebores in the shady spot
Bee balm
Bachelor button (this is a legit weed so beware)
Peony
Astilbe
Cup flower
Guara

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 13, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Great native recommendations, but I don't like mahonia. It's invasive in the SE US anyway.

I hear that its invasive but I just can't figure out why we worry about it. It doesn't spread rapidly, looks very cool, and doesn't really seem to displace anything native. Doesn't even get very big. The most negative thing I've heard is that deer can't eat it... Boo.Fuckin.Hoo.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Ailanthus altissima, or as they call it in its native land, “foul-smelling tree”, is one of the worst.

lol yes, also known as the the equally fitting "ghetto palm." There are some very funny and informative articles out there about it

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Gardening is very clutch hobby for current social distancing. Planted two large patches of purple moss phlox and three patches of purple aster along with coreopsis zagreb. I also put down a mistakenly divided balloon flower that may or may not survive due to it being from my friend accidentally cutting his in half when he was putting in new poo poo

Later this week planning to put in some more azaleas now that they’ve bloomed and I know what color they are, along with a sassafras and a mystery tree (thinking it’s a river birch)

But alas, two great plant sales I was looking forward to are now canceled. So now I’m either looking at mail order or finally learning how to do propagation properly :qfg:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Outside of you standing guard with a super soaker, there’s no force on earth that will stop a cat from making GBS threads in nice easy-to-dig earth

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

PI seems to think that strong lemon scents work well also. What are some strongly lemon-scented things I can use that won’t totally acidify my soil?

There’s a real cute evergreen that I’ve seen sold that you could look into: Cupressus macrocarpa “Wilma” or as sold under Monrovia “Montgomery cypress Wilma Goldcrest.” Very cute little tree that has a strong citrus odor. As far as I can tell they are quite weather hardy too

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

hooah posted:

I'm guessing no, since no one responded?

How heavy of a frost are we talking here?

If you’re just looking for a vine-thing, we’ve had success overwintering a clematis outside here in zone 7, dies to ground but has come back with gusto.

You could also do some native trumpet honeysuckle (Lonicera semperivens) which I’m not sure can actually die to any adversity

ReapersTouch posted:

Went to a nursery yesterday and got some things. Quince, abelia, mugo pine, mexican petunia, eastern snowball viburnun, spirea, guara, russian sage, some dahlias, and alyssum.

The ranunculus I got at lowes two weeks ago and has already put on new growth,

Nice haul! If you have any issues with bunnies, keep an eye on that guara if you put it in the ground. The one we have in a pot is very happy and safe, but the one in the garden has been promptly owned each spring by bunnies murdering all the new growth, so he has a very schizophrenic growth habit now

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 23, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah for me cheap is the way to go. I pay like 12.50 once maybe twice a year for a giant backhoe to dump a 3 cubic yard scoop of mulch from the yard waste section of the municipal dump into my truck bed. It’s so heavy I look like I’m low riding but once I get home I can mulch at least two of the gardens :sax:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM8PtsQl-bU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Could be larvae/grub damage. Maybe dig up a shovel or two and see if there’s any shitheads hiding within!!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

amethystbliss posted:

I have a very dumb newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I live in the Bay Area (zone 10a) where the soil never freezes and the weather is pretty consistent all year round. Do I need to plant on a spring/fall schedule to plant new bulbs? Do seasons even matter somewhere with consistent climate, or can I just plant them whenever and watch everything bloom ~3 months later?

That's not a dumb question! I had to do a little digging to find the answer, but it sounds like you'll want to obey the planting schedule, as the bulbs still go into their dormancy period which will happen even when the temperature is rather constant. It does sounds like they love the climate and do exceptionally well if the soil is agreeable to them.

Personally, I always like to experiment and gently caress with plants, so maybe chuck a few fall/spring planting bulbs in the ground at the opposite planting time and see what goes down >:]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

These are gorgeous! I love pretty flower pictures.Very jealous-my one attempt at growing ranunculus here was....not successful.

Yeah I'm with you on ranunculus. We've never had a good one come up, they all end up dying. I figured it was a drainage issue from the winter just being too drat wet, but we have dahlias that overwinter so well that they have spread all over and are downright weeds. Now I think I'm just under some kind of ranunculus curse

amethystbliss posted:

Thanks so much for this! It was so strange that I couldn't find the answer to that anywhere. I have a few more anemone bulbs arriving this week so I'll plant a few and see what happens.

Exciting times! If you decide to get into more flowering perennials, let me know and I'd be happy to recommend some underutilized but awesome plants. I'm always ready to talk baptisia lol

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Hm. The problem is whatever replaces it needs to be about that tall. My fence line runs along an alleyway and my neighbors front door faces straight into my yard and it is elevated so he can see in without even trying. I guess I could maybe build some sort of trellis along the fenceline. Or maybe just a series of tall posts and something dumb like peace flags or whatever.

What about planting some mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius)? I just put down a couple as specimen plants but they can make a mean-rear end hedge screen. They grow quickly, have dense foliage, tight branches for when they go deciduous and also smell incredible with great flowers. Will get about 12 feet high. Real classy native plant imo

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I have a question actually! I almost posted this in the bonsai thread because I'll bet they see this poo poo all the time.

I have two trees, one bald cyress (Taxodium distichum) and one arizona blue cypress (Cupressus arizonica var. glabra 'Blue Pyramid') that have suffered a great injustice: they were brutally ravaged by bunnies or deer at some point and their cambium was completely torn off around the tree, leaving them girdled. everything turned brown, they completely defoliated, the whole nine yards. Tragic. And thus I assumed that they were surely dead.

However, plants are tough, and so what do I see this year but a powerful shoots of new growth from both from below the line of chewed up cambium. The bald cypress already looks like he's down to form some new branches to make into leaders! And the blue seems to be putting all of his energy into a promising branch near the base of the tree. Very exciting.

But what should I do with the dead stuff? How can I safely remove it from the living plant? It's like there's all this life merrily going along underneath these rotted spires of bunny-induced failure. I would love to just give them the ol snip snip, but I'm concerned about leaving a wound that would be prone to disease.

Has anyone run into situations like this before? I can supply pics if I'm not explaining it well. I very much want these bad boys to live now, especially since they've proven that no piece of poo poo bunny is going to keep them down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
They might be cool as long as it’s just snow and there isn’t a hard freeze. Might even protect them from freezing winds that royally gently caress up new plants

A freeze just happened here and I feel kinda bad but also kinda not for all the preppers that just bought a million tomatoes to plant in their new raised beds lol

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 12, 2020