Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

I have a Tillandsia Ionantha that I bought a week ago. It's this (just no flowers, I assume due to it being winter):
http://www.logees.com/Tillandsia-Ionantha-Ball/productinfo/L6518/

I noticed after I got it home that there appeared to be what I could only describe as looking like a cluster of miniaturized mouse droppings (each one in the cluster being a little smaller than the tip of a pen) on one of the plants in the ball. They weren't moving at all, so I didn't think it was any sort of pest, but a few days later that plant started to see the leaves turn black & curl in until it finally died. The clusters of whatever it was on that plant are black to med tan in color. The other plants seem fine so far & haven't had anything on the leaves that I can (easily) see, but I'm assuming this is some sort of pest I need to take care of before they pick off the rest. What can I do?

I've seen mention (through googling) of people soaking the plant in a soap/water mixture & then rinsing the plant really well with plain water before shaking it off & leaving it to dry. Is that safe? Or is there something similarly as simple that can be done?

I should mention we live pretty much borderline zones 4b/5a according to the USDA map, so it's an indoor plant. I've been giving it a good watering once every 3-4 days, and a light misting on other days. One other question, should I be buying a jug of spring water to use instead of our water (well water that I'd consider moderately hard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I bought a variety of flowers for my mom, but this one didn't have a tag, and neither did any of the other pots or baskets of the same. I didn't think to ask someone while I was there either.

Also, will the plants be fine sitting in my car overnight if I wait until the sun pretty much goes down before putting them in there? I've got cats wanting to get into the room to get at them, and a husband with allergies, and so if I can put them in the car tonight instead of before work (where I'll be dropping them off to my mom on the way) in the morning, that'd be ideal.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2014