Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

7thBatallion posted:

Any idea how I can get a few kudzu seeds? I'd like to try growing in indoors, fry some leaves up, make a salad, and generally have a houseplant that grows faster than bamboo..

Does it grow wild near you? Most of the kudzu around here has fruit right now. Lovely hairy pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was thinking of setting up a carnivorous terrarium down the line when I have the time. Some of them work pretty well with fluorescent lighting and controlled humidity and heating, but others are terrible fits and should just go on a windowsill or outside.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A sulfur-based anti-fungal spray is what I usually see recommended. I just had to spray some on my seed tray because I had the same thing happening. It hasn't been long enough to say if it's gonna work though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No light? Have you considered mushrooms?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kedo posted:

Weird, I had no idea young trees would have differently shaped leaves. Thanks for the info!

Check out what a single mulberry tree can do: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Morus_alba-leaves.jpg

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kid sinister posted:

I thought all carnivores were bog plants?

Are Nepenthes considered bog plants?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Based on the rounded teeth on the leaves, I think it's either a white or black mulberry. Too bad you didn't luck out and get a red one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well the weed with the colorful berries looks like some sort of nightshade.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bog pixie posted:

Does anyone know, even in general, what kind of plant would look like a fern but have tiny flowers and something like seeds growing underneath each stem instead of spores on the leaves?

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, and I spent a whole semester of Plant Tax wondering what it was, but no one would tell me because that would be cheating in the class. I just wanted to know what the drat plant was.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

robotindisguise posted:

Common weed in the south? I cannot for the life of me remember the full name, but it starts with Egyptian...

That's it.

Phyllanthus urinaria

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For air flow, you can modify a computer fan to plug into an outlet. They're small and already designed for mounting, so they work well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

foxatee posted:

My daughter and I were walking around the neighborhood and came across this weird thing:

What is it from? Dogwood? Some sort of mulberry? I know there's a dogwood tree on the other side of the cul-de-sac, but that's not where we found these; and although they look similar to the fruit on the dogwood, they didn't look entirely the same. Ideas?

That really looks like some sort of dogwood to me. Like an undeveloped Cornus kousa fruit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kenning posted:

I'm glad your butt is blooming! That's pretty exciting.

Also, I've still got a blog about my carnivorous plants. I haven't shared it with you guys for a while, so here are some pictures.

Anyway those are the plants.

These are great. A few of those are on my list for next time I'm drunk-ordering more plants that I don't have time for.

All of my CPs are sitting outside dormant and boring right now, so the other day I put together a terrarium for sundews. I've only got seeds in there so far, but I hope to have a nice subtropical collection before too long.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jackpot posted:

I've got a tree in the backyard that forks from the trunk in three directions, creating a hollow space in the middle that collects rainwater; it stays there for days sometimes. This can't be healthy, right?

I think it could lead to rot down the line, but there isn't much you can do if it's at the base of the tree. You might want to throw mosquito dunks in it if it's full of larvae.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Erodium, I think.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That planting hole is really small. The soil needs more surface area to cycle oxygen and such. I don't know if the planter will interfere with that or not.

And I've never worked with water bags but I can't imagine that one is necessary. Wouldn't those promote fungal growth on the trunk? Especially over a period of 6 years?

The problem might just be that they planted a crappy tree in a crappy hole.

e: urban trees are usually planted in mineral soil (dried up rock piles) anyway, so don't worry about that. Organic soils would have to be replenished regularly as they break down.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 7, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trees can handle a single flooding event fine. The problem would be if your neighbor's drain continues to keep your tree submerged regularly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What about just squishing the things?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kenning posted:

By the way, a bit of news: I've been working at Predatory Plants since November, so I pretty much think about carnivorous plants 24/7 now. Also if you order plants from us, I will probably ship it. Let me know if you order something and I'll make sure to get you the plumpest sundews and most succulent flytraps.

drat, I wish you'd mentioned this like 5 days ago!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had serious issues with carnivorous plant seeds earlier this year, but I have a bunch coming up now. I think fungus gnat larvae were eating the seedlings' roots, because even my Drosera seedlings were dying and those should be easy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What are the chances that I'll be able to successfully transplant these volunteer cardinal flower rosettes in the spring? They're mixed with a Sarracenia. I'd love to leave them in there, but it would probably get very crowded.

http://imgur.com/a/mZUWA

All of my actual plantings were eaten by slugs.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

life is killing me posted:

My wife loving hates desert plants, and insists on buying a bunch of annuals so that we will constantly have to buy new plants and re-plant all the time. Someone in another thread where I'm getting advice on my drainage and hill erosion issues had said to stick with native plants instead of trying to make our house look like something it isn't, so IDK.

Maybe you can convince her to like certain desert plants, even if they aren't native ones? There are all sorts of colorful succulents out there. It's really going to be a losing battle trying to force plants to grow in unfavorable conditions, and it's a shame that's usually what people try to do instead of working with what they have.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

anatomi posted:

What is this and how do I take care of it? Lady in the store said to keep the pot in water and make sure the plant's in a humid environment. Currently keeping it in a cloche in the window.

I think it's a Drosera capensis.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Warbird posted:

Muscadine vine: This is the problem child. I've moved it inside, but it clearly isn't enjoying it. The leaves are starting to turn yellow and fall off. I'm concerned that the pot it's in is too small and would be more susceptible to cold/frost than a larger one with more insulating soil.

Muscadines are deciduous and will lose their leaves anyway. They need a winter dormancy. Just how cold does it get where you are? It will probably be fine outside with some insulation.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Warbird posted:

I'm just north of Charlotte, so it's relatively mild compared to most of the country, but it does get fairly cold. Talk to me about insulation and what that entails please. Also, is my concern regarding these plants being in pots and them being more susceptible to cold because of it warranted?

Pots are more susceptible to temperature changes, but that isn't necessarily a concern with temperate species. They're designed to handle freezing temperatures. It just depends on how cold hardy that particular species is. Your muscadine is probably fine as-is, but you could put some pine straw or mulch on the soil. If you're worried about wind, you could put up a barrier or wrap the pot in something.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hey, Kenning:

I just got a VFT and D. madagascariensis in the mail from Predatory Plants. I've potted up the latter already, but I do you have any idea if I can give the VFT a refrigerator dormancy as is? The rest of my VFTs are outside, but I don't see any point in potting this one and putting it outside if I can just throw it in my fridge for a while instead. Maybe just add some neem oil for fungicide?

Really like the packaging btw. I was not expecting moss to pop out of the box.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are you putting the original pot inside the new pot? You can just pull the plant+dirt out and stuff it into the new one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, that definitely sounds overwatered (and like fungus gnats). I wonder if you could put a fan on it to evaporate the water more quickly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have an LED that I use for my seed shelf. The light output is great, but the purple coloration is annoying. I wouldn't want to use it for a display plant.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've seen a truck bed full of dirt that had a bunch of plants growing in it. He wasn't even trying to do that; he was just too lazy to get the dirt out, so he drove around with it like that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a screw-in LED like that. The plants directly under it (maybe 1' away) have turned bright red from all the light. It's working for the surrounding plants too, but I do have the whole setup wrapped in foil.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like my moss almost as much as I like most of my plants. I collect the stuff and throw it into random pots as ground cover.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm kinda interested in using clover as a winter cover crop.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cool, thanks. I do see crimson clover recommended some for here (GA), but there's a wider variety of other options than I realized.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I order most of my plants online. There are some great online nurseries (don't know of any with roses tho). Usually the only concern is exposure to extreme temperatures during shipping, but a lot of places will do heat packs this time of year if the plant is sensitive to cold.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's some of the worst tree placement I've ever seen.

I hate being aware of bad landscaping. My neighbors have a volunteer bush honeysuckle that their landscapers have begun maintaining and pruning like it belongs there. The apartments I walk by every day just topped/murdered their crape myrtles that were previously not all that bad. I had to ban my own landscapers (landlord hires them) from my backyard because they kept whacking the flower bed and blowing all the leaves into the vegetable garden. Also they pissed on my fence.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/landscaping/

There are some helpful people there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are there too many to just pull off by hand?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a spider plant cutting that was rooted in water and then moved to soil. It's been a year now and the thing is still pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

First pic is definitely grass.