Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I recently got into container gardening of drought tolerant plants capable of withstanding a lot of full sun and I’m not doing well. I bought 3 medium sized Texas Sage and i think I’ve overwatered them. Leaves are drooping and some are yellowing and falling off. Is there a chance they’ll come back if I just lay off the water for a week, or are they done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Miracle grow potting soil mixed with some sand and mulch 😕

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Fertilize it a bit. I just use miracle grow plant spikes and those seem to work ok.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
OOH! I have a pergola I’d love to cover in vines, does anyone know of a species that could survive in Las Vegas on the north side of a house? Hours of direct sun have killed both vines I’ve tried.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm looking to repot my peace lily. It's been in its pot and happy for two years, but now roots are starting to grow out of the drainage hole. I'm going to repot it in a 1:1:1 mixture of peat, perlite, and bark chips. Is it safe to trim back the roots when I take it out of its current home? I'd like to keep it in the same size pot.

Why would you repot to the same size pot if it’s outgrowing it’s current one? My recommendation would be to repot to a larger vessel, or just leave it be/ push its roots back in

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I have the most success with snake plants and ZZ plants. They can go weeks without water just fine, survive well in low light, and they look nice.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
There’s got to be hardier vines that don’t need watering 6 times a day

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Does anyone know if there are echeveria, aloe, or sempervivum varieties that can handle 10+ hours of 100f+ direct sun? I want to tear out my lovely Vegas lawn and replace it with rocks and succulents.

How about elephant bush or jade?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, if you want to be use more Western hemisphere native plants, I'd look to cactus and agave. And maybe Google xeriscaping - there should be some good advice (including from your local agricultural extensions) about that.

Comedy option: grow a patch of lithops and get the best of both worlds. (You'd need to grow them from seed get enough for an outdoor planting, I'd guess).

I called the master gardeners of Nevada and they pretty much recommended the same ugly big agaves that are fairly prevalent. I was just hoping that there might be more attractive options they weren’t aware of.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Whenever I transplant succulents, I give them a deeep watering. Recently when I did this to a huge aloe, its lower leaves became soft and droopy. Should I not give transplants a deep watering?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
My outdoor succulents are covered with spider mites. How do I get rid of them?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I bought some succulents a couple months ago, repotted them, and I've had them under a grow light since I bought em. The other day I noticed that two of the leaves (I think?) are far less sturdy than the other ones, and are slightly red.

Like, I water the plant once a week like my other succulents, gets the same type/amount of light (if anything these two leaves are slightly closer to the window) but this one (don't know the species) is the only one experiencing this. the white stuff comes from a bit of our local hard water that didn't get filtered out, I don't know where to start on the Whats Wrong thing since, like I said, everything else is getting the same amount of stuff and I'm not sure what thing is different between this one and everything else.

That plant looks overwatered. Also you should clean off that white stuff with alcohol in case it’s a fungus.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Do most of y’all do this with potbound plants before repotting them? I wonder if I’m getting poorer results because I just plop the bitch in some more dirt and a bigger pot and call it a day...

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 22, 2019

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Kin posted:

Incidentally, i've just spotted this stuff growing over quite a bit of my front lawn. It's only sprung up in the last week and i'm sure i've seen it somewhere before in my life but dunno if it's the kind of thing that should be excised from a nice garden lawn.

....grass?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Electoral Surgery posted:

I got this tiny thing at a plant store this morning. It's labeled as a lithops, which seems almost right but all the lithops images I'm finding online are much more squat, flat, and the inner leaves don't split like this.

Any idea what I have? Is it a less common type of lithops or something else?

Split rock or mimicry plant. It’s stretching for light, those things want full sun and very little water

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I had one in the tiny window in my bathroom watered only by the mist when I showered. I actually thought it might be fake until I went on a month long business trip and it turned into dust

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I just got back from a 2 months trip and many of my plants have had BIZARRE reactions. Echeveria stretching despite being outside on a south facing porch in LAS VEGAS. Sempervivum where the central plant died but the pups are fine. Aloes so skinny they look like sanseveria. Just weird what happens when someone who doesn’t give a poo poo takes care of your plants.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
What worked best for me was leaving cups of red wine out by my plants. It attracted little white mites, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
That’s an excellent little garden my dude! Be proud!!