Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

EagerSleeper posted:

But my favorite will always be this smaller plant:

I think it's some sort of Graptopetalum, but I got it from a very nice person on Etsy.

Aw yeah, a Ghost Plant! I opened this thread specifically to see if anyone else had a ghost plant. They're so freaking cool! I don't know why I like them so much. I Googled them one time and some lady made a VERY long post about her ghost plant and ended the post with "I couldn't imagine living without it!". I thought it was hilarious and kinda weird but... I love the ghost plant. I love having it in my life :unsmith:

So, I have 3 ghost plants that are quite small (less than 6 inches) that I grew from a leaf. I have seen pictures online (and your picture) where they are real low to the ground and spread out. Mine are tall and "leggy". I wonder why that is? How can I get them to grow outward instead of upward?

I had a ghost plant maybe 6 months ago that I lovingly nurtured from a single leaf (as was mentioned earlier, if you just take a leaf off and put it on top of moist soil it'll make a new plant). Anyway my fiance went to water it and knocked the pot over and all the leaves fell off and it died. I was so sad. None of the leaves that fell off would propagate either, they were too damaged. So I had to start completely over.

EDIT: I believe it's Graptopetalum paraguayense. Yours looks pretty much identical to mine, the leaf color/shape in particular. They're almost pearly irridescent and some have a tinge of pink.

Zombie Defiler posted:

I saw some beautiful cactus flowers the other day when I was driving past a cow pasture where a few cacti have cropped up. Brilliant bright yellow on top of a smallish cactus that looked like it had paddle shaped segments.

I don't know anything about propagating cacti but I do know that you can eat those flower petals, they're delicious and taste like candy. I eat them whenever I find them!

razz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Oh okay, awesome! It probably didn't help that I started growing the plant indoors in the middle of winter. My house has NO good indoor places for plants so I have them all next to a window under a full spectrum grow light. It's really not ideal but... it's the best I can do for now.

Good thing is, I'm moving in a couple weeks so we'll be able to put the plants outdoors in a nice sunny spot so hopefully they'll get a little fuller! Thanks! I just want it to get all huge and awesome looking.

We also have a pretty cool Patchouli plant that my fiance rescued from near-death. Yes the hippie/incense Patchouli. When you crush the leaves a little bit it gives off a really strong smell. It's really nothing to look at, it's just ordinary green leaves on an ordinary brown stem. But I think its cool!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I have a Boston Fern and it keeps producing these leafless "stems" that come horizontally away from the plant and out of the pot. They will get like a foot long (or perhaps longer) and they're really thin, way thinner than a regular stem with leaves.

What are these? They don't produce leaves. They don't appear to be "going" anywhere (like into the soil), what's up with them? It's almost like a vine. They grow from the ends because the last inch or so will be green and the whole rest of it is brown/dead looking. I just cut off part of one and stuck it into the soil, I wonder if it will make a new fern?