Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It's hard to tell with the pictures you have, but your mystery bushes look like they may be some variety of broom. Are they making seed pods that look vaguely like peas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I have the same Sambucus! Mine has been blooming like crazy for about two weeks now, and it's gorgeous. Do you ever get berries on it though? For some reason I only seem to get maybe 1/10th the elderberries I expect considering how much it flowers. I wasn't planning on making jam or anything, I was just hoping to attract some birds with the berries.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's a herbaceous peony, looks like a double-flowering type.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Looks like maybe a trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) to me. They're notoriously aggressive, so good luck!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
#7 is definitely a holly of some sort, but I can't say for sure which. #8 the red growth tips remind me of a pieris, but the leaves look a bit too narrow/upright for the pieris I'm used to seeing. Knowing what part of the country you're in might help to ID the plants as well.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It looks vaguely like it might be a (very unhappy) clematis to me. I'm guessing it's never bloomed, or else you'd know it was a clematis right away.

e: if it is indeed a clematis, the poor thing would be better off planted outside. Most clematis need a ton of sunlight, and people who try to grow them inside usually say they need to supplement with grow lights to get the plant to be healthy enough to bloom.

Marchegiana fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 25, 2013

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

unprofessional posted:

Clematis has trifoliate leaves, so that doesn't work.

A lot of the leaves in the picture are trifoliate, though, so ???

That's actually why clematis stuck out for me, because it has a lot of the hallmarks- trifoliate, opposite, glabrous leaves on a woody, twining vine.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Oh man I never even thought of growing pothos in an aquatic setup. My daughter has a temporary tank housing two bullfrog tadpoles she caught a month ago, and the Elodea canadensis we have in the tank isn't quite keeping up with all the tadpole poop. I think I'm just going to stick a cutting from my pothos in there and see what happens. :3:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

wormil posted:

I don't know where else to ask this but I'm looking for a landscape plant recommendation. Need something hardy and evergreen in zone 7, height 5-6 feet, spread 5 feet, shade tolerant (NE side of house). I want to plant this next to my deck as a wind break, semi-privacy. Tried online plant pickers and suggestions were :
rhododendron - have one at the opposite corner of the house and I like it, not big enough though
ninebark - never heard of these but I don't care for the pics I googled
Euonymus - I have 3 Gold Dust and love them but none have grown big enough to fill the space I have
Boxwoods didn't come up in the search but I hate them.

Your spot would be just about perfect for a camellia. Although they can theoretically get as tall as 25 feet they're pretty slow growers, and take well to pruning. I have two- a Camellia japonica 'Professor Sargent' that's about 6 years old and the same size as what you were looking for (started from 12 inches tall in a 1-gallon pot) and a Camellia vernalis 'Yuletide' that's only about 3 years old which is now about 4 feet tall and spreads about 3 feet. Different species will bloom at different times (japonica is spring and vernalis is winter) but all species smell heavenly when they bloom- faintly like sweet tea. I'm hoping to buy a fall-blooming Camellia sinensis soon as I have a good spot for it so that I can also start making my own tea. :3:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

stubblyhead posted:

I bought a new house recently, and the previous owner (now deceased) was an avid gardener. Every couple weeks something new starts sprouting or blooming, and lots of it we have no idea what they are. Can anyone identify this flower?

The base of the flower with the black lattice looking thing is sort of egg-shaped, and I was expecting that to open up instead of something sprouting out the tip of it. They have a pleasant scent as well. I live in Salem, OR.

That's a Centaurea montana, aka mountain bluet or perennial bachelor button. What most people call bachelor button/cornflower is the Centaurea cyanus.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Still looks like a variety of allium to me, with that membrane over the flowers that you can see on the first image you posted.

Kind of like this, Allium bulgaricum: http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/nectaroscordum-bulgaricum.html

It's actually an Allium siculum aka Sicilian honey garlic. You were very close. (I only know this because my mom gave me a bunch of them last year. :ssh: )

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The best time to transplant is actually right before it rains (or during a light sprinkling). The plants get less stressed if you move them when it's overcast, and having a nice rain afterwards helps them get established in their new home. After a rain is actually the bad time because then the soil is real wet and tends to compact, making it harder for the transplanted roots to get a foothold.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I can't say anything about saving it (I'm not very good with conifers, in your place I'd just get rid of it), but it's not looking good, especially when you look at the two of them side by side. If you do want to get rid of it just cutting it down at the base should do the trick. Conifers usually don't regrow if you cut them close to the ground- they focus most of their growth buds in the top/ends of the trunk and branches, so there usually isn't anything for them to resprout from close to the base.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
First Plant is a Bergenia. I've never seen them in a nursery but I know there are a few places online that sell them (like Bluestone Perennials).

Plant in the OP is a Begonia Rex, I think it's the "escargot" cultivar.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
If you're looking for tons of flowers over a long period your best bet is to get something annual (like petunias). Because annuals live on a limited time span their evolutionary survival mechanism is "poo poo out as many flowers as possible to make the maximum number of seeds before death". Perennials will only bloom for a couple weeks to a month because they know they're in for the long haul.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

That there looks like a Virginia Creeper. Not poisonous, highly annoying if it's growing where you don't want. I've been pulling that poo poo out of my strawberry bed all year.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Ajuga (bugleweed) can take straight up full shade no problem. I have a patch of Ajuga in a tricky spot in my yard- north side of the house, between the two heat pumps and under the fireplace overhang. It's pretty much 100% shade, the sun never shines directly on it. My six baby Ajuga reptans 'chocolate chip' plants I put there have spread into a solid mat that's filled the whole area.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Thanks you guys for reminding me I need to repot my jade plant and harden it off for some sun time outside. My plant is only about 5 years old, but it's a cutting from my mom's plant, which was a cutting from my grandmother's plant, which was a cutting from my great-grandmother's plant. This one jade has been in my family for 4 generations. :3:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

darkwolf220 posted:

3 mystery plants

Your first vine is a Virginia Creeper. The only nice thing about it is it turns a pretty red color in the fall. Otherwise it's completely useless and will take over everything, I'd yank it.

Plant #2 looks like common mullein (Verbascum thapsus) It used to be used in early gardens as a medicinal plant, it's since escaped cultivation and grows all over the place now as a weed.

Your picture for the third plant is too far away/out of focus for me to tell you anything. My first guess is that it might be a rose of some sort but I can't tell which leaves are actually coming from the thorny canes and what the shape of the flowers is.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah I tried lupines in zone 7 and they were a flop, I think it's just too hot. I remember seeing them all over in Canada so I figure it's just not the right climate for them.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
1 is definitely a grape. 2 could be some form of honeysuckle, I remember my neighbor having one as a kid but don't remember my mom telling me what it was- she just said not to eat the berries. 3 and 4 both look like black raspberries to me- that's another one I distinctly remember from my childhood because I used to eat those all the freaking time. The shape of the fruit is more like a raspberry, but they have a shiny look to them like a blackberry. 5 is some sort of sedum.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
See that's why we need more seed/plant companies to adopt the AHS heat zone system along with the USDA hardiness zones. I'm 7a as far as hardiness goes but my heat zone is 6- meaning that on average I get 45-60 days per year with temps over 86F/30C. Lupines won't take that kind of heat, which is why I failed despite doing everything "right" according to the hardiness zone.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That first flower is a trout lily, they're supposedly edible but they reproduce so slowly I'd feel bad about eating them.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Both allium and the agastache will be fine overwinter in your zone. If they stay in the pot you might want to either keep the pot in a sheltered area or bury the pot so the roots don't freeze solid in a cold snap but that's really the only precaution you'd need to take.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
From the summer picture it looks like a Ailanthus altissima or Tree of Heaven. It's a voracious nusiance in some places and downright invasive in others. Considering these things also stink you might want to consider not planting those seeds, unless of course you like invasive species that are nearly impossible to eradicate and smell like rear end.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
There's a lot of really good mom and pop stores for both plants and seeds. I'm sure a whole bunch of people can chime in and give their favorites. So naturally, I'm going to do the same.

The bulk of my seeds I usually order from Victory Seed Company. They're a small family-owned business dedicated to preservation of rare and heirloom varieties of open-pollinated seeds. Their prices are very reasonable, and their customer service is excellent. Southern Exposure is another good one, they specialize in heirloom varieties that are well-suited to southern climate zones.

For landscaping plants, my absolute favorite place is right in your backyard, Mail Order Natives in Lee, FL. As you can gather by the name they specialize entirely in native plants, and have a lot of oddball things you don't usually find elsewhere (like pawpaw and tupelo). I think I've bought a tree or a shrub from them at least once a year for the past 5 years. The plants tend to be smaller, so if you get a tree it will usually be only a couple years old and may take longer to look like a real tree. This can be an advantage though, because shipping costs are less and it gives the plant a better chance to be established. My first tree from them was a Chionanthus virginiana which was about 8 inches tall when it was shipped to me. It's now a nice 4-foot specimen and started blooming last year.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
You won't find apples from seeds anywhere because of the way apples reproduce. Most apples are incapable of self-pollination, so the seeds will all be heterozygous and at best only bear a passing resemblance to the parent tree. Most of the commercial apples are branches from known varieties grafted onto rootstocks- which rootstock they use depends on the climate you're growing in and whether you want a dwarf or full-size tree. There's no way to know if your apple will be edible, or even how big it will get, unless you buy a grafted tree.

That said, I bucked common sense and have an apple tree I grew from seed- or perhaps I should say it's a tree my daughter grew from seed as an experiment and then I planted it so she wouldn't be heartbroken. Despite it only being 3 years old we got flowers on it last spring- I let one of them develop to see what the apples were like. It's definitely a lot closer to a wild apple than the Golden Delicious the seeds came from. Fruit was about the size of a Lady apple, so just a little bit larger than a crabapple, but with a much better flavor than a crabapple and more sweetness. We're probably going to be making cider from it in a couple years if all goes as I expect.

If you want to know more about apples and how they reproduce (as well as where a lot of our current apple varieties came from) the Michael Pollan's book The Botany of Desire is an excellent read. That book also helps you to learn about why McDonalds is even worse than you thought and how :420: growers really are on the cutting edge of botany.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Pothos seems to be drat near unkillable, if you don't mind having a trailing vine. I've had one growing in a 6 inch pot in the corner of my kitchen away from windows for about 6 years now and it just keeps on chugging. Despite my tendency to forget to water it with my other plants. Any time a vine gets too long I just flip the end back over the pot and it will re-root there.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Seconding the Dave's Garden recommendation, specifically their garden watchdog section. They're my go-to place to look up sellers when I need a plant that's not carried by my usual ordering places (Bluestone Perennials gets an order from me every year it seems).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My daughter grew one from seed on our windowsill last year. It got leggy from lack of light but still put out flowers. Over the winter it looked like it died but she insisted on keeping it and continuing to care for it, and now it has 3 new shoots coming up from the base. Definitely easy to care for.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've grown Ajuga reptans (bugleweed) in total shade (and I mean total shade- it's in that awkward area under my chimney on the north side of my house) and it just thrives. The 6 plants I started with have spread to a mat covering a 4' by 6' area. My question though is how wet is the area? Hosta should do well in shade, but if the site gets too wet during the dormant season your hosta crowns under the soil will rot. If you've got a wet site you'd probably do well with some ferns. Cimcifuga racemosa (black snakeroot) is also a very good statement plant for a wet shady spot. Native wildflowers are also a good bet, things like trilliums, bloodroot, jack-in-the-pulpit, etc.

Keep in mind a wet site might not mean it's wet year-round. If things are dry during the summer but it's sopping during the winter that can be death for a lot of plants, because their roots will just turn to goo while they're dormant.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah hydrangeas need extra TLC after being transplanted- I had to transplant mine this spring and because of that I have to water it about twice as much as my other plants because it starts looking really sad and droopy so fast. Also in the future, anytime you transplant something make sure you pull the flowers off. You want the plant to put energy into new growth instead of pushing those flowers out.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's Campsis radicans, or trumpet vine. They are indeed native but people usually don't grow them in gardens because they're highly aggressive and impossible to get rid of once they're established. I've heard there are some less aggressive hybrids but I take that with a grain of salt.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Look for a tree service in your town that has a certified arborist. They'd be the ones best equipped to let you know if it's a problem or not.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Giving us better images of the leaves and something to compare scale helps a lot towards identifying plants. For example, on C you just gave us an unbloomed flower spike- that could literally be anything that sends up flowers in that fashion.

My hunch is that a lot of these are actually weeds that just happen to have flowers (more common than you'd think). I agree with E being candytuft and F being a poppy, but G to me looks a lot like pokeweed, and B looks like a common roadside weed I don't know the name of offhand. D might be something in the Malva genus, but again those commonly grow as weeds in some parts of the country too.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well the weed with the colorful berries looks like some sort of nightshade.

Yep, bitter nightshade to be exact.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, datura is also called jimsonweed around here, aka Jamestown weed.

quote:

The James-Town Weed (which resembles the Thorny Apple of Peru, and I take to be the plant so call'd) is supposed to be one of the greatest coolers in the world. This being an early plant, was gather'd very young for a boil'd salad, by some of the soldiers sent thither to quell the rebellion of Bacon (1676); and some of them ate plentifully of it, the effect of which was a very pleasant comedy, for they turned natural fools upon it for several days: one would blow up a feather in the air; another would dart straws at it with much fury; and another, stark naked, was sitting up in a corner like a monkey, grinning and making mows [grimaces] at them; a fourth would fondly kiss and paw his companions, and sneer in their faces with a countenance more antic than any in a Dutch droll.

In this frantic condition they were confined, lest they should, in their folly, destroy themselves — though it was observed that all their actions were full of innocence and good nature. Indeed, they were not very cleanly; for they would have wallowed in their own excrements, if they had not been prevented. A thousand such simple tricks they played, and after eleven days returned themselves again, not remembering anything that had passed.

– The History and Present State of Virginia, 170

It's also worth noting that it has what in medicine they call a narrow therapeutic window, meaning the difference between an active and a fatal dose is very, very slight.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, that's an orchid. I'm sure one of the orchid lovers can be more specific. :)

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah Pinterest is awesome for storing cooking recipes and picture inspiration, factual gardening info not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, pretty much every pine in my neighborhood looks like that right now. Totally normal.