Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
To be honest it's not like you can do a worse paint job in your shed than the factory did.

Hell, get your son to do it, Lada probably used child labour. It'll be concours correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

To be honest it's not like you can do a worse paint job in your shed than the factory did.

Hell, get your son to do it, Lada probably used child labour. It'll be concours correct.

The factory paint is a hundred times better than the job someone did on it's rear. I'm not saying the factory paint is good, but the respray is bad. Trouble is I lack the cash and access to facilities to colour match a nearly thirty year old soviet paint colour. Truth be told they did a really nice job with the finish of the paint. It's just it's old, oxidizing and flaking off where the metal has received physical trauma from stone chips etc.

When I get a chance I'm going to take it out for a drive then park it again. I still really need to check out the LF wheel bearing and loctite or something one of the upper ...thing... arm bolts on the rear. I forget the name.

I don't think Lada used child labour but I always imagine the workers were at gunpoint. Something I can say about the parts used to make it. They were good. Really good. Very nicely made. The new parts usually not so much. Even if they are using the original design and tooling the new ones are just not as well made. Although I was really stoked when I was sent a new model ball joint a while back. It was nicely made and solved some annoyances that the old ones had like difficulty sealing the rubber. By new model I mean for the current year models too btw.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At least in my city, there are some nice if occasionally frustrating Egyptian guys who run a hole in the wall paint shop and will spend all day colour matching your car out in the parking lot for free.

They give you all the specs, even if you're not buying paint that day. They've done better colour matches than "real" paint shops every time.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At least in my city, there are some nice if occasionally frustrating Egyptian guys who run a hole in the wall paint shop and will spend all day colour matching your car out in the parking lot for free.

They give you all the specs, even if you're not buying paint that day. They've done better colour matches than "real" paint shops every time.

That's really good. I bet they are popular for that reason.
Nothing like that around here, I can be pretty sure of that. Also I can be sure that the "real" paint places would either say "We don't colour match", or "Have you got the code?". Even if they could it'd probably be so far off as to be unusable. Given the rest of the paint isn't 100% it's not worth it anyway. It's just a shame because there weren't any large blemishes on the sides before, besides the respray of the back. Never figured out why they did that either. There's no signs of damage.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I found an old Wheels Magazine from 1993 which has a full page ad for the Lada Niva. Do you want me to scan you a copy of it?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

I found an old Wheels Magazine from 1993 which has a full page ad for the Lada Niva. Do you want me to scan you a copy of it?

That'd be great, thanks!

I just spent more time than I should have on one of my time sink mini projects. Getting a Redback two stroke generator running. I just can't. Got good compression. Spark is fine. It even tried to run off the inox lube I squirted into it to keep it from eating itself from all the pulling on the cord. Reed valves are fine. Replaced the fuel tank in a sense. It has a mower tank sitting on it. Although the old tank was clean you never know. It had nothing to do with the thread for the shutoff valve mysteriously snapping off flush with the tank. No sir!

I just can't figure the drat thing. It seems to have bugger all hours on it. Air filter is clean, cross hatching in the cylinder looks factory fresh, spark plug was essentially clean. Some carbon on the piston. That's about it. I know it is just a generic two stroke Chinese generator, but it was free. I'm only willing to invest what I paid for it too. Another thing. Carb off I blew through it with my hand in front. Got a nice even mist of two stroke on my hand. About all that's left is to dismantle the carb completely and look for a blockage.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

General_Failure posted:

That'd be great, thanks!

I just spent more time than I should have on one of my time sink mini projects. Getting a Redback two stroke generator running. I just can't. Got good compression. Spark is fine. It even tried to run off the inox lube I squirted into it to keep it from eating itself from all the pulling on the cord. Reed valves are fine. Replaced the fuel tank in a sense. It has a mower tank sitting on it. Although the old tank was clean you never know. It had nothing to do with the thread for the shutoff valve mysteriously snapping off flush with the tank. No sir!

I just can't figure the drat thing. It seems to have bugger all hours on it. Air filter is clean, cross hatching in the cylinder looks factory fresh, spark plug was essentially clean. Some carbon on the piston. That's about it. I know it is just a generic two stroke Chinese generator, but it was free. I'm only willing to invest what I paid for it too. Another thing. Carb off I blew through it with my hand in front. Got a nice even mist of two stroke on my hand. About all that's left is to dismantle the carb completely and look for a blockage.

It's always the carb on lovely little two strokes. You'll take the carb apart, find some tiny blockage, and it'll run okay until it sits for a while and then you get to do it again. I get to do my weeds whacker every loving spring

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

8ender posted:

It's always the carb on lovely little two strokes. You'll take the carb apart, find some tiny blockage, and it'll run okay until it sits for a while and then you get to do it again. I get to do my weeds whacker every loving spring

It has to be the carb. I pulled it apart yesterday and besides a little brown crud on the sides of the needle valve it was fine. even the tiny little pinprick hole for the idle was clear.

It's a Chinese carb but whoever stole the design did it well. drat thing. I'm ready to reassemble the generator and leave it for 'ron.

For the first time in ages my son was asking if we could go for a drive in the Niva. I had to tell him no, because I haven't tested it yet. :( Which reminds me. He was playing in it yesterday and decided to start hitting the horn so I unplugged them. Apparently when I did that I grazed past the pump on one of the washer reservoirs and it started leaking where the pump inlet plugs into the black grommet on the tank. Standard setup. Suggestions on stopping the leak?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Here's the Lada Niva ad. It is actually from 1997, which I thought Lada was well and truly out of the country before then

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

Here's the Lada Niva ad. It is actually from 1997, which I thought Lada was well and truly out of the country before then

AHAHAHA AHAHAH Oh my god.

"NOTHING COMES HARDER THAN A LADA"

Yeah I think that was around the death of the dealerships in Australia. It was the awkward time when parts availability dropped and online shopping was still in it's infancy.
Lots of them just got parked in paddocks. People keep finding them now, replacing some rubber bits, whatever broke them in the first place and register them essentially.

I have to say that ad is so full of bullshit but it's awesome. Thanks so much for scanning it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I got a roo bar for the Niva.

The bumper mounts on it were badly mangled, but the ones on my bumper were worse. So i spent a few hours with a sledgehammer making it fit. I had to replace the rusted coach bolts that were holding the roo bar to the bumper mounts too.
It also uses a couple of thick steel straps to bolt to the underside of the body where the bumper tubes insert into the body. Unfortunately I had to leave off the front tiedown points to do it.
You can't see it from the picture but the bar is a couple of cm offset to one side. Again, sledgehammered bumper mounts. They are designed to crush so I un-crushed them. More or less.

I also picked up a set of tail lights in better condition than mine. haven't installed them yet. And a steering wheel that I'm hoping to combine with the original one off my Niva to make a complete stock wheel.

A few days back the pitman arm puller arrived. I've been soaking the arm and shaft on the replacement steering box on and off for about two years. Miserable poo poo of a thing still won't budge. I'm too scared to use a propane torch on the arm in case I damage something. RHD steering boxes and parts are as rare as hen's teeth.

I've developed health problems again from being run down and the weather is knocking the crap out of me so progress is slow.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Welp, worst case, Voldemort wins the election here and I'll be one of your neighbors soon enough after that, so consider it fixed no later than November.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

I've developed health problems again from being run down and the weather is knocking the crap out of me so progress is slow.
Sorry to see that mate, rest up, I hope you'll be back on your feet soon.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Welp, worst case, Voldemort wins the election here and I'll be one of your neighbors soon enough after that, so consider it fixed no later than November.

Your post borders on the surreal. I've been grappling with it for days. All I can really say is out of the skillet and into the frying pan. Choose your preference of crazy. Plus Australia is a big country with lots of nothing in the middle except some Buzzards and perhaps a citadel and a few other settlements.

You Am I posted:

Sorry to see that mate, rest up, I hope you'll be back on your feet soon.

Yeah I was still able so no rest for me. Just a fistful of meds to deal with the pain. I learned in the last week or so that all oxycontin does is make me more productive. Doc said I may have had shingles. Couldn't tell and couldn't treat it because of how far advanced it was. Essentially an infection running down the right side of my head past my ear to the neck. Still kind of tender but it's pretty good now. I just thought it was bug bites for a few days. Should have learned. Last time I did that it hosed up my leg for months. Got some neat black scars from that time round too.

Anyway vroom broom and all that.
Had another crack at the replacement steering box. No luck yet.
I dragged out some old roof racks and put them on yesterday... at least I think it was. I know it already has the roof rack bar thing but it's held on with two screws on each corner. So it has three bars of two different makes on it plus the old one. The spare wheel is sandwiched between the middle and rear one. Still need to strap it down.

Haven't really done anything else to any of the other cars because of the ridiculous heat and family. gently caress the Christmas school holidays. They are waaaay too long.
The Rav4 has started to shift kind of notchy and weird in all the gears and kind of grabs sometimes when shifting out of a gear. I'm really thinking new gear oil, maybe some of that Nulon(?) nylon poo poo I used in the Niva, a shift cable and bushing check and lube, and maybe clutch adjustment? Need to check the manual on that one.

I think it was early this morning my other half told me my brother in law had a Delica for sale / swap. She suggested swapping her Jeep for it. I refused because she loves her Jeep. She knows a Delica has always been high on my list. Oh well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The pitman arm remover is only part of the puzzle- the other is an impact. Drag your box to where you can put one side of the arm against something hard, put tension on it with the puller and then give the opposite side of the hard thing a good solid thwack with a hammer- you'll flex the casting ever so slightly and pop the taper. Expect a bang when it lets go too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

The pitman arm remover is only part of the puzzle- the other is an impact. Drag your box to where you can put one side of the arm against something hard, put tension on it with the puller and then give the opposite side of the hard thing a good solid thwack with a hammer- you'll flex the casting ever so slightly and pop the taper. Expect a bang when it lets go too.

I bought the pitman arm remover with the round nub on top designed to be hit with a hammer. Been using a combination of that and on the side of the arm. I think I'll have to upgrade to the sledge. It's kind of scary because the steering box is about a cm away from the arm, and the box is made of aluminium. As it is a glancing blow with the hammer put a dent on one of the flanges. Perhaps I can shield it with a bit of plate and then safely go nuts with the sledge.The shaft is so rusty :( Such a shame. Apparently it was sitting in a paddock. If I really wanted to I might be able to replace the shaft but I'm trying to avoid opening the boxes if I can.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Been a busy year. Don't want this thread to die. Tried quite a few times to post but never snagged enough time to finish and it timed out. I'm also too drat stupid to just do it in a text editor first.

Here's a couple of pictures from the last couple of weeks to make it more than a bump post.

Carb is acting up. Gasket fell apart too. I just trimmed it back to be a 0 instead of the remnants of an 8. All good now. Sort of. Primary butterfly was open a little at idle and secondary was adjusted too far and jamming. Carb is still a bit of a pig though.

Before I started swapping parts out for inspection last week. Still have more to do before an after shot is warranted.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Good to see you and the thread not dead, time for that Weber conversion?

Твоё здоровье! :cheerdoge:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Good to see you and the thread not dead, time for that Weber conversion?

Твоё здоровье! :cheerdoge:

Ha! Thanks. Wow, the quote text is horrible for the Cyrillic.

I took it for inspection this morning. I guess it's like going to the doctor to find out which horrible disease you have. I know they will find something to pick on. It's just a question of what.

Have a video of a topless Russian tranny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NzNNdyHUE

I took the shifter plate off so I could add some Nulon Whale Cum® to stop the transmission sounding like an episode of Will It Blend? That stuff works like a dream on the transmission. Both making shifts not feeling like I missed a shift in a non-synchro truckwhen the transmission is cold and making it STFU a little. Unfortunately I forgot to throw out the oil covered paper towels and the plastic bag I rested the shifter on for a day and made the cabin reek of the ~200% sulphur content John Deere oil.

The carpets needed a little cleaning too. It worked out easier just to remove the drivers seat to clean the floor rather than killing my back trying to work around the seat. All the ejected ball bearings were collected up from the thick layer of miscellaneous detritus and reinserted after I finally caved and did That Which I Swore I Would Not Do.

After sweeping the floor, the outer seat rail got dismantled and taken to with a vise, hand sledge and a drift I made from a tie rod from the Fairlane. Best thing that ever came from that car I swear. After pounding it straight-ish on all axes it got clamped to what it is bolted to, and three tack welds placed near the middle on each side to help stop it bending again.
The torn folded ends of the upper rail also got a weld so they would keep the balls in a little longer. I only set the seat on fire once! not sure what's worse. The hessian base of the padding in the Niva or the more modern foam for flammability.

one of the mounts for the rear hatch struts broke a while back. Not surprised. It was, old, made out of the worst pot metal I've ever seen and full of huge air bubbles. I tried replacing the crumbled off bit with some Knead-It epoxy stuff. It almost worked too if more of the original ball socket didn't crumble off when I tested it.

Had a first too. I used a carwash! Not one of those pull through things. The sort with the pressure washer. What a lovely experience. The low pressure soap setting was like someone with an inflamed prostate pissing, accompanied by an irregular clunk from the machine room bit.
The rest of it all worked kind of okay, but I didn't bring enough change. Got through about $10 then discovered the change machine didn't work. So there's still a few bits with clay and gravel a couple of cm deep stuck to random places like the mudflaps and the top of the towbar crossbar. Oh, the wax also didn't actually seem to have any wax in it. What the gently caress ever.

Cleaning it all off I was painfully reminded of how badly my son tore up the paint down the sides. Couldn't see it for the clay when it was dirty because it's the same colour as the paint!

A month or so ago i swapped over the steering box with the one I got off a friend, and partially dismantled the starter while I was at it too after it left the car stranded at the dump with the 7x5 trailer that fateful day.

Getting the steering box and starter in and out is an utter oval office of a job. If you were to google it you'd probably find others using a similar wording. It took me literally hours to get each one out and back in. In the process I purposefully snapped off the starter heat shield to gain a cm or two more clearance, broke the front muffler, broke a swaybar stud while taking that off, bent the proportioning valve torsion shaft above the rear axle, covered my face, hair and the dirt with gear oil, ripped my hands to shreds, and gouged the poo poo out of the engine bay, starter, steering boxes, engine block paint, and the transmission.
In the process I discovered that Herbert Q. Chucklefuck had hand crafted three aluminium spacers. One for each steering box bolt. Pretty sure that's why the steering column firewall seal wasn't attached, why the steering wheel column bipod was cracked to poo poo, why the Ackermann angle felt out to hell to one side, and why the steering had a weird slop I couldn't find because the steering box looked as if it had been moving around a bit.
The steering box has a godawful inherited FIAT "Feature" too. It uses two of the steering box mounting bolt heads as the steering stops. Our friend installed the bolts backwards so both the turning radius was increased by hitting the threaded bottom of the bolts, and the ends of the bolts were also mushroomed by this dick move.

Reassembly is reverse of removal. Hours spent trying to get the starter, box, and exhaust back into the engine bay past everything from underneath. Realised too late that I did it in the wrong order and couldn't get the steering box bolts back in. Pulled it partway out and refitted the two important ones the correct way. The third I just put back in backwards because I would have needed to pull the starter back out. gently caress that.

The starter was fun too. Bench testing it, it all worked fine. Pulled the end off it to check the brushes. The finger tight starter bolts had made me suspicious. The missing end cap bolt moreso.
New brushes! Awesome! But they hadn't cleaned out all the old slag so I did that. The solenoid seemed fine too but the pin thing that pulls the arm for the starter was bent. It's attached by flared ends so I just had to leave it. So the starter was working but acting like it wasn't getting enough juice. About this time i realised the weird rocker cover earth strap was in just the right place and position to attach to one of the starter motor bolts. Motherfucker. PO strikes again.
Since then it's only failed to crank once. The starter has freewheeled a few times too but I put that down to the bent pin on the end of the solenoid shaft.

The Suzuki wheels it's probably had just about all it's life have been taken off and the stock Niva ones swapped back in. Give them one less thing to pick on.

The quarter window latches got stuck back on but fell off in days. Said "gently caress it" and and shoved them back in the glovebox. This winter has been T-shirt weather bar a few days so I couldn't care less about a bit of a draught.

So this is where I am with what I can remember of the recent stuff. I'll go back in time when I can post again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Got it back from the mechanic. Failed inspection. Front wheel bearings and front indicators. He said I can get away with orange bulbs and tightening the bearings for now. I know they need replacing. Weird thing was driving it back the few blocks home all i could hear was horribly noisy wheel bearings. Surely I would have noticed that before. My hearing's not great, but holy poo poo!
I think I'll just pull the hubs off, pump grease back in there and re-torque by feel. I'll order some OEM bearings from Ukraine. I have to double check but I think the noisy transmission bearing is the same part number as one of the wheel bearings, so might get one extra.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Love this thread. This has been up for sale for ages and I still want it http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/other/auction-168995952.htm

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Heh, take a gander at whats offered in Sweden right now (yes, you can buy a Niva new here...)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

140k for a new Niva Urban? That's the sort of thing I'd have considered if I had the money to spare and needed a car, though not really because it's a good idea.

(16k USD or 21.5k AUD, roughly speaking.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can buy them new in the UK too, but only LHD. The snow plough and 5dr options make up for it though.

http://www.markkey.co.uk/

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

I'm not dead.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The carburettor has been getting steadily worse. Rather than stopping driving it for an indeterminate interval while I find the time to do another strip, inspect and reassembly of that drat Lada carb, I opted to borrow the carburettor from the VW. There's some hurdles but I'm getting there. The less said about the fuel connector the better. I'm just going to clamp a cable on to the existing cable to use the throttle linkage. Rough I know but it's only temporary and there's no way in hell I'm cutting a RHD Niva throttle cable with a ball joint socket on the end.
The replacement cable bracket came out passably. I used the original as a template. I needed the cable to go over instead of under, and needed to have a larger cutout between the bolts. I couldn't find an easy way to cut that metal so I just folded it back. IDGAF any more.
The air cleaner is the one that came with the Holley kit for the VW. When I got a replacement filter years back I was given one the right diameter but the wrong height. I have no idea how to find the right one. It's all just sitting together for now.

Even after running the carb still reeks of varnish. No I didn't bother cleaning it. It's still the nicest I've heard the Niva run. It's not jetted or even tuned for it. I'm hoping I can adjust the idle close enough without re-jetting, because I want to put it back on the VW when I'm done.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Get the dimensions of your filter and plug into here: http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/FilterBySize.aspx?catid=1&styleid=1

Wix is my go to paper catalog for looking any filter up. :toot:
Wix filters should be available at any oreillys, napa or online and other local places should be able to cross it.

Edit/Disclaimer: some aftermarket filters use a non standard height/diameter/thickness to get a customer to return to them for the filter. Just get as close as possible.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 17, 2016

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Get the dimensions of your filter and plug into here: http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/FilterBySize.aspx?catid=1&styleid=1

Wix is my go to paper catalog for looking any filter up. :toot:
Wix filters should be available at any oreillys, napa or online and other local places should be able to cross it.

Edit/Disclaimer: some aftermarket filters use a non standard height/diameter/thickness to get a customer to return to them for the filter. Just get as close as possible.

I don't know the height of the original filter any more but I can make an educated guess. That's really useful. Thanks!

Besides some minor issues I got it together. I just drove it a few blocks no problems. The accelerator is like a ghost fart though. Needs a stronger spring.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yep. It's today's game of spot the difference. Or not. It's easier to just say.
I did the thing I said I wouldn't. I cut the throttle cable. It got snipped hard up against the little nub on the pedal end so I can just add a barrel bolt or whatever the hell they are called. New cable went on with barrel bolts on each end. Readjusted it and shifted the spring after the test drive. The spring was way too long so for now I've put some wire around the oil filler to fasten the spring to.
The hoses are courtesy of the classic computer game "Pipe Dream". I just grabbed what I could find out of my bag 'o' old hoses and some sprinkler connectors to jam it together for the moment. There's still a floating hose. Not convinced it was in the right place to begin with. It's attached to the charcoal canister and labelled PCV. Not overly helpful really. It has some weird Rochester charcoal canister. I've seen a photo of one in another Niva too so I don't know wtf.

Back to the throttle cable. I used one of those linkages that's like a quadrant of a circle. They give a drat smooth curve with the throttle but the trouble is the travel is longer. It doesn't seem easily possible to get the carb to open fully. The bushings on the pivot for the accelerator pedal seem a bit broken too which wouldn't help. Now with the pedal buried in the carpet it seems to get the secondary maybe 75% open. I'll tinker with it a bit more but it may be a lost cause and I might have to change it to a standard lever linkage.

It's definitely different with this carburettor. Much more manageable. Or rather no need to manage it. It's about as well mannered as EFI. Third engine I've had this carb on now. It works well.
Later on my brief test drive I took it out to the 100km/h zone. I had to plant the accelerator to get it up to 100. This was before I took up all the slack in the cable so not sure if it's jetting or just not opening it up enough. I'll find out in a couple of days probably. Not much time to play.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
2 year late reply;

we killed the first niva sinking it into what used to be a duck pond

we grabbed the 2nd because no one was game to bring their actual trucks out and attempt saving it. it wasnt up the the task, and joined its brother in the pond because we didnt have a fire extinguisher

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

SquirrelGrip posted:

2 year late reply;

we killed the first niva sinking it into what used to be a duck pond

we grabbed the 2nd because no one was game to bring their actual trucks out and attempt saving it. it wasnt up the the task, and joined its brother in the pond because we didnt have a fire extinguisher

oh wow that really was two years ago. where does the time go?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
i just forget where i post but im glad you still have the lada. my brother bought a suzuki samurai with a cage and air lockers etc for some rock crawling, reignited my love of *bad but actually real good* bush bashers

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

i just forget where i post but im glad you still have the lada. my brother bought a suzuki samurai with a cage and air lockers etc for some rock crawling, reignited my love of *bad but actually real good* bush bashers

Yeah, It's as rough and broken as me. It's fairly idiot proof too so it meets my needs pretty well.

I think your brother got a good buy there. I'd love something like that!

Not a whole lot of progress has been made because of stuff going on and the terrible weather keeping the yard essentially unusable. It doesn't mean there hasn't been any though.

A few days ago I swapped the Lada carburettor back on after a partial disassemble which revealed a few issues. The idle air bypass screw had an O ring which wasn't doing it's job, as did the idle jet / fuel cutoff solenoid. To add to that there were a couple of linkages for the choke that needed attention.
While I was at it I removed a useless piece of emission gear. It seemed to be some kind of mechanical equivalent of a deceleration valve. It appeared to use a long, wobbly linkage against part of the accelerator pump cam to hold the throttle partially open when an external vacuum signal was applied from who knows where via a hose. It's never been connected since I got the car.

Literally as soon as I finished fixing the last of the issues with the returned carburettor, the windscreen washer tank lost it's contents on to the ground. The rubber seal for the pump chose to let go. Perhaps it was the redback spider that was lurking next to it! A lot of commercial bug spray and a couple of days later (today) I grabbed a grommet and some vacuum line to pad out the ID of the grommet to fit the pump. It seems to hold water. it'll do.

In the last week I started cleaning out the RAV4. I want to re register it in the very near future. It needs some work, but first I want to get rid of the accumulated junk, spiders, dust and whatever else. It has it's problems but there isn't much that can't be made to go away for inspection.

Back to the carburettor briefly. It's way more predictable now. It still stumbles pretty badly when the accelerator is pressed. Possibly due to the long, wobbly linkage with clearance that actuates the pump. It also failed to idle when I pulled up at home today, but was fine again after. At least the fuel mix doesn't seem to be completely randomized now. The carburettor is no prize pig but it's better than it was. Pretty sure it breathes better than the Holley too. Can't speak for the venturis but the throats are way larger.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Been putting my time into the RAV4 recently. I've been getting the universal middle finger, and the RAV is no different. I've given the interior a pretty good clean. There was some spatters of black mold around the place. looked like a drink had been hurled before it was parked many months ago. Removed the stickers my son stuck all over the outside but I'm having trouble with the adhesive. Washed off the algae that formed along the window scrapers and along the big plastic side panels. Armor-alled the gently caress out of it. It needs a second or third coat in places. Wipe the excess off... bullshit. It always takes multiple coats to sate the plasti-demon. I even went to the trouble of doing the big plastic exterior panels. Then a few hours later there was a storm. gently caress.

Still waiting on the CV boot. Gave the engine a feed of ATF and let it swirl around in the "oil" for a while. Dumped out the toxic waste and replaced it with clean oil. Replaced it's itty bitty oil filter too. The rear main oil leak didn't get much better.

Today I went mad with the degreaser. The oil leak seems a little odd but it does seem to be coming from the rear main. The most notable thing is the oil coming out is pretty black. The oil in the engine is nice and clean. I got the shits and dumped a bottle of Nulon engine stop leak in. The drip is too slow to be worth worrying about yet it exists so it would be an inspection fail. If I can slow it down enough that it can't escape from the stone guard before inspection is done then it's good enough.

Next up is addressing the 1500rpm idle issue. gently caress you, car. Guess I'll be puling the IAC and hoping it's just a little clogged or stuck from it's little holiday. I don't imagine the elevated idle speed and possible resultant lean condition(?) would be helping with oil leaks. I don't know how smart or stupid it's ECU is.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Anti archive post.

Haven't had time for anything really.
What I do remember though...

I ripped out the old CB aerial wiring. Put a new one in with a new grommeted hole through the firewall. Managed to roll up quite a few metres of cable behind the dash. Had to pull out the cluster to get to it. Put the old, tiny aerial on the roof with a gutter bracket. The CB can now receive signals! I don't pretend to understand but whatever. Before it couldn't even pick up the handheld right next to it.

The mirrors got removed from the VW and screwed on to the Niva. I didn't measure, and used an old hand crank drill but it looks right enough. Even managed to get the rusted lumps of sheetmetal screws out of the captive nuts on the drivers side mirror mounts. A couple of spiders living in the big mirror brackets came out to say hello.

I finally got around to spraying the white wheel black. Only I didn't notice that one of the cards fell out of the rim lip. Then i dropped the spanner when I was refitting the wheel and took a gouge out of the fresh paint. I tried to respray that bit, made a dribble, and oversprayed on to the drum. I give up.

it's been parked waiting for a wheel bearing. It finally arrived last week but I haven't had any time to fit it yet. Seems like a good time to replace the glued together CV boot on that side while I'm at it. It just means shifting a heap of stuff out opf the shed to get to the new one :(

RAV4 is well and truly registered and has been clocking up the kms and leaving oil puddles everywhere it goes. A couple of months back I managed to clog the radiator fins with spear grass seeds. *clap. clap* Still lots in there but I've pulled out most of it one by one with my fingers.
It's getting through way too much fuel but no CEL. I dunno.

When I stripped the corner to replace the CV boot there were horrors. Everything had been done up so tight it was friction welded together.
The CV with the split boot was pretty good. The one with the good boot was unbelievable. I don't even know what was in there. It wasn't grease. Not even sure if it was an emulsion. It was more like sloppy white clay with the grease stripped out of it. The joint carrier had the prettiest rainbow all around the top lip from heat. Ricers would pay for such a nice treatment. The bearings all felt really good and there wasn't really any wear so I shrugged it off. Cleaned it all up, regreased and re-assembled.

Perhaps I'm in denial but I'm not sure that 5th gear popping out is a broken detent. 5th and reverse both don't seem to engage far enough. Could be a linkage issue maybe. I've watched the stick in 5th. The more load, the closer it moves to neutral. Back off and it moves back, like what I'd expect to see from torque loading, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense with a cable linkage. I also accidentally shifted to 5th at 50km/h recently and realised that even under load it wasn't popping out. I just don't know wtf.

e: Also put a voltmeter under the dash on the passenger side of the Niva.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

FYI- most CV joints are heat treated and have that pretty rainbow effect from factory.

This is my laundry door stop a CV joint from an 80 series landcruiser

The heat effect is from factory- only reason we pulled em out is because they went clicky.

The angle grinder scars are from cutting the cage to pieces so we could get the balls out to shatter the cage off the axle shaft because the circlip wouldnt let go and we didnt want to rip the end of the axle off.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Well how about that. I've never seen that before. Explains why nothing seemed too damaged.

Right now the Niva is stuck with the left front wheel, caliper and disc removed to fix the bad bearing. I haven't had time to progress. The knuckle has to come off and be dismantled. There's a CV boot that really needs to be replaced while I'm there but the drat thing is buried in a steel box under a ton of poo poo in the shed. I've fumigated, ready for the job, but no time. Also no way of pressing in the new bearings.

I shouldn't need to cook these bearings in oil, should I? I don't like assuming things on this car.

The Rav4 has been a good little trooper. Sure I have to hold it in 5th and the rear main leaks fairly badly but it seems okay. I do have a question though. There's a concerning rattle that sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine bay when backing off the throttle. Could it be timing belt related, or am I over thinking things.
By the way .the fuel economy sucks. Maybe 11L/100km give or take. Why do my cars love to do this?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Because you seem to have some skill in buying good cars, but somehow pick up the "Friday afternoon" versions of them. Didn't you have a V8 Fairlane that was a constant headache?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, IIRC the big issue with the Fairlane was parts availability; they didn't sell very many of his specific model to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

To be fair, IIRC the big issue with the Fairlane was parts availability; they didn't sell very many of his specific model to begin with.

Yep. There was an unspecified number of them. Guessing from the previous model of the same variant there may have been something like six made. It was parts binned from various Australian and U.S. Ford models, except for the model specific suspension geometry.
It was listed in bugger all parts books so I had to resort to comparing parts, fabricating or putting photos online to ask WTF the part came from. I have not missed that car at all since getting rid of it.

You Am I posted:

Because you seem to have some skill in buying good cars, but somehow pick up the "Friday afternoon" versions of them. Didn't you have a V8 Fairlane that was a constant headache?

Yeeeahhh. Um buying good cars? Thanks for the unwarranted compliment!

The Jeep loves developing random problems, but it's a real trooper so it hasn't completely shat itself when something fails. That reminds me. I have some nice tyre wear photos that I took a couple of days ago that I need to put up. I've never seen anything like it. It's like it did a DIY aggressive tread block mod.

The Rav4. Well... It cost me less than the Niva. It has no rust, had a new windscreen when i bought it too! Unfortunately there's something not quite right with the transmission and engine, which appear to have been worked on in the past. It just has the usual wear and tear for a car it's age and the telltale clunk. Not a bad car though. I re-registered it anticipating needing to do a lot of long hauls and I was right.

The Niva is apparently one of the good ones. Like most Nivas it was used as a farm car. It really, really shows. It also seems to have been used as a first (or near enough) car at least once, and quite possibly owned by an individual somewhat larger than myself. From what i understand, one thing that makes my Niva special is it's possible to communicate while driving.

The VW: Just :( It sits in the yard slowly rotting as a testament to failure.

As of tomorrow the xmas holidays will have ended for both of my spawn and I'll be able to at least get something done. Still severely limited by many things, but at least I won't be spending every waking moment on care / cleanup / repair duty.

• Locked thread