Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

General_Failure posted:

The driver's door is also designed so it can only be locked with a key. I like that feature.

My old Mazda you had to hold the door handle open as you close the door to keep it locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CharlesM posted:

My old Mazda you had to hold the door handle open as you close the door to keep it locked.

My VWs and possibly my bluebird were like that. This one is set up so it's difficult to lock the keys inside.

I'm actually looking forward to doing the timing chain tension. Loosen bolt. Turn engine by hand. Tighten bolt.
Because I have the crank, turning the engine for the 1.5 revolutions or whatever it was the manual said will be easy.

That's something. I was looking in the workshop manual for things like this and coming up empty handed. It's in the little operations manual. Probably because it's a regular maintenance item.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

At the same time, Russia has an extremely rich history of art and all things beautiful, just look at some of the subway stations in Moscow. Unfortunately, most of this beauty was strictly for the Tsar family and other aristocrats only.

Actually more for the oprichnina than the aristocrats. Tsar Ivan IV pretty much castrated the Russian aristocraty in the 1560s. Fun facts: Every single Russian leader worth mentioning since then (including Vladimir P.) can pretty much trace their blodline back to the oprichnina. The so-called "revolution" was the biggest scam ever.

That said, I agree with your view on Russian cars, except for the early 80's export-Ladas that were pretty much a humiliating recycled bunch of used American Budweiser-cans.

Nivas are kind of alright.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 15, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

Actually more for the oprichnina than the aristocrats. Tsar Ivan IV pretty much castrated the Russian aristocraty in the 1560s. Fun facts: Every single Russian leader worth mentioning since then (including Vladimir P.) can pretty much trace their blodline back to the oprichnina. The so-called "revolution" was the biggest scam ever.

That said, I agree with your view on Russian cars, except for the early 80's export-Ladas that were pretty much a humiliating recycled bunch of used American Budweiser-cans.

Nivas are kind of alright.

Glad mine is late '80s then. Although the paint quality is horrible. The rest of it seems to be fairly solid.

I'm enjoying the history lessons by the way. Please nobody feel the need to stop.

My son just woke up so I had to come inside. So far this morning in the pre-dawn twilight I achieved a couple of things, both which would have been hard without the supplied crank.

I did the adjustment procedure for the timing chain. Considering I had to scrape away ancient grease to find the nut then use my 1/2" ratchet and a rattlegun socket so I didn't shear it I would say it's pretty plain it's missed a 10 000km interval or two.

Next up were the points. The steel platform on top of the distributor shaft that the rotor bolts on to made things a bit hard because I don't have the special bent driver for the screw. Anyway that was another crank job. I know the points were totally off because there was a nice grease buildup on all the low points where the friction block was visibly not touching.

I started getting ready to static time it but I already said why I didn't proceed. It can wait till later. I was a bit thrown off by the lack of vacuum pot on the distributor. Nothing major but there's always that moment when the manual differs from reality to confuse a person for a brief moment.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Timing went okay. Not sure it's 100% right but I should be able to do it with a strobe now. I started doing a kind of half-assed wash and wax a panel at a time. the paint is utterly had it and so very thirsty but I've managed to get it from a dusty matte to something glossy enough I can make out things reasonably well reflected in it.

In the washing process I found out the drain for the heater vent in the bonnet is blocked. Now I have to try to dry out carpet and underlay in the driver's footwell. D'oh!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

General_Failure posted:

Timing went okay. Not sure it's 100% right but I should be able to do it with a strobe now. I started doing a kind of half-assed wash and wax a panel at a time. the paint is utterly had it and so very thirsty but I've managed to get it from a dusty matte to something glossy enough I can make out things reasonably well reflected in it.

It's amazing what a good coat of wax can do. Keep piling on the wax every time you wash it for a while, perhaps try something like Opti-coat if you want to keep it protected from future UV damage.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's amazing what a good coat of wax can do. Keep piling on the wax every time you wash it for a while, perhaps try something like Opti-coat if you want to keep it protected from future UV damage.
You're not wrong. I found some of my old Kitten wax with HDPE. Seems to be doing the job.

The bonnet is in terrible shape. Came up okay considering.

I still have the driver's A pillar, the roof and the front panel around the grille to do but I'm knackered. Had to call it a day.

Also this:

and this

Still about the same but with a battery holder, and that dumb bike security chain is gone. What you can't see are the timing chain, points and timing adjusted. With them done the loudest noise is the rockers, or whatever they are called on an OHC engine. I'm not going to touch them until I have a replacement rocker cover gasket.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

General_Failure posted:

You're not wrong. I found some of my old Kitten wax with HDPE. Seems to be doing the job.

The bonnet is in terrible shape. Came up okay considering.

I still have the driver's A pillar, the roof and the front panel around the grille to do but I'm knackered. Had to call it a day.

Also this:

and this

Still about the same but with a battery holder, and that dumb bike security chain is gone. What you can't see are the timing chain, points and timing adjusted. With them done the loudest noise is the rockers, or whatever they are called on an OHC engine. I'm not going to touch them until I have a replacement rocker cover gasket.

They're still called rockers. Equal parts jealousy and pathos in this post.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mmmm, look at that shiny USSR brown/beige paintwork :)

I have to say, it's beginning to look really nice. The seats in particular look almost new.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That is starting to look suprisingly nice. And on another note, Swedish car mags are not always the most serious about things, here is a "comparison test" between a Porsche Cayenne and a Lada Niva in glorious Google translation.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That is starting to look suprisingly nice. And on another note, Swedish car mags are not always the most serious about things, here is a "comparison test" between a Porsche Cayenne and a Lada Niva in glorious Google translation.

Thanks! And that was really heavy going reading. Difficult yet poetic. I think they nailed it though. It's built for offroad.

KozmoNaut posted:

Mmmm, look at that shiny USSR brown/beige paintwork :)

I have to say, it's beginning to look really nice. The seats in particular look almost new.

I couldn't find a good angle. The paint where I have washed and waxed it is pretty reflective all over. Well you can see the shine on the bonnet. That paint is full of rusted bubbled chips. I just rubbed the wax into the rust. I figured what the hell. It's a hydrophobic coating.
Besides the tear in the bottom of the drivers seat the seats are more or less perfect. Not brittle or anything. All the weird moulded black vinyl-y plastic trim like next to the seats, the luggage area and the transmission tunnel is pretty much perfect besides a few little scuffs and marks.
The engine bay still gives me the horrors. There's something about it that my mind has trouble digesting. It's such a weird engine bay. Also I realized something when I was adjusting stuff yesterday. The crank isn't centred. So that means the crank pulley isn't which means the whole engine is a few inches over to the drivers side. How odd. I'm not sure but I think the drivers footwell is narrower as a result.

wallaka posted:

They're still called rockers. Equal parts jealousy and pathos in this post.

I appreciate the sentiment. My goal however isn't to make anyone jealous. Especially of a USSR relic! I'm really happy about how well it is cleaning up and how well it's responding to a little TLC. It's like it desperately wants to be a good car but just needs a little help.

Next week I'll order a rocker cover gasket I suppose so I can do the rocker adjustments. It just feels so weird to me to have an OHC motor with solid lifters. It's definitely a revvy little thing. I'm still getting used to the pedals and keep hitting the accelerator with the brake. It winds up a lot faster than I'd have expected.

So far besides the purchase and retrieval price I'm probably in maybe $20-$25. All I've purchased is a bottle of brake fluid. Some really cheap oil at Repco, a bottle of cheap premix coolant at the supermarket which I am yet to use, and a spray bottle of supermarket branded knockoff armor-all.

e: I missed a pic I took yesterday.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

General_Failure posted:

Also I realized something when I was adjusting stuff yesterday. The crank isn't centred. So that means the crank pulley isn't which means the whole engine is a few inches over to the drivers side. How odd. I'm not sure but I think the drivers footwell is narrower as a result.

Most likely because you are on the wrong side of the car.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Most likely because you are on the wrong side of the car.

That's what I think too.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KozmoNaut posted:

Combine this with the unique Russian fatalistic "Don't interfere, that's probably the way it's supposed to be, if we rock the boat, we'll just make it even worse for ourselves" approach to life, honed through centuries of oppression and general poverty

And by that thing that happened the last time they got together and decided to make a big change.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lada- 0-100 km / h about 22 seconds
Porsche- 0-100 km / h 5.6 sec

drat that 22sec time for the Lada is ridiculously slow, your Lada has the same acceleration and reliability as a u-haul. :black101:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Well this is a thing I didnt expect to see here.

Lada Nivas are great cheap off roaders, Id really love to get one but I think Ive already had my fair share of Ladas, as I own a couple. And youve got one with apparently original leather/vinyl seats aswell!

I dont have a Niva myself, but a 2105 1500 and a 2103 1600 that I got from my dad. He used to race here in the national Lada Cup. Its a bit silly.

My current Lada hosed itself last winter as the overflow for the oil (dont know what its called in English) froze, pumped the oil into the air filter, then bust the rubber cap off the engine and sprayed it all over the engine room and left me on the road side, guess I shouldnt have been in such a hurry :xd: Besides that, they are mechanically more reliable than youd believe, the electronics on the other hand, are somewhere near Italians on reliability. But theyre lightweight, rear wheel drive and manual and if youre good with your hands and literally an idiot with too much free time, you can tune them. The ex-race Lada ive got makes 170hp from the 1.6l engine at the crank.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Finished the wash and first "quick" coat of wax. It's like trying to apply it to concrete render. I think I could have just poured it on the roof and it would have taken the lot. Still it's a big improvement.

I also unblocked the drain for the vent in the bonnet. Same decomposed sludge. Now the drivers footwell shouldn't flood.

The drivng lights are old K-Mart ones I got second hand a while back. They aren't connected yet. The wiring seems to be there but I'm going to trace and probably modify it before it's used.

punakone, remember not all of us are in the U.S.
Sad to hear about your Lada. How much damage was done. Can I have your motor? 170HP at the crank is massive!

Colonel Sanders posted:

Lada- 0-100 km / h about 22 seconds
Porsche- 0-100 km / h 5.6 sec

drat that 22sec time for the Lada is ridiculously slow, your Lada has the same acceleration and reliability as a u-haul. :black101:

Meh. Doesn't bother me. I grew up around that sort of car. I still see farmers regularly who can't wont go over 80km/h on the highway. It's not like there's any hills here anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Who said anything about being in the U.S...?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Who said anything about being in the U.S...?

It's just not expecting to see a Niva on here. As far as I know they had a noticeable presence everywhere except the U.S.
I've always thought they were neat and the only reason I bought my beetle instead of the Niva parked next to it (this was after a full day of car shopping mind you) was the beetle had more rego left.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If I would guess I'd say punakone is in Finland, seeing as how his name means "red machine" or something like that in their language (apologies for my bad finnish). They sold quite a lot of soviet cars in Finland compared to other countries not in the east block. I mean, they even managed to sell Zaporozhets in Finland. I have no idea how they managed that, though.

Plus the Finns have the coolest tuned Ladas. :v: (And Lada Raider!)

edit: no, I'm not stalking this thread, I just think the Niva is a very cool (as in different) car and I like that there is one in AI now. v:shobon:v

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 17, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If I would guess I'd say punakone is in Finland, seeing as how his name means "red machine" or something like that in their language (apologies for my bad finnish). They sold quite a lot of soviet cars in Finland compared to other countries not in the east block. I mean, they even managed to sell Zaporozhets in Finland. I have no idea how they managed that, though.

Plus the Fins have the coolest tuned Ladas. :v:

edit: no, I'm not stalking this thread, I just think the Niva is a very cool (as in different) car and I like that there is one in AI now. v:shobon:v

I see. And no I'm not watching this thread like a hawk. I just happened to check in the moment you submitted the edit.

Car culture is an amazing thing.

AI has many different cars of all sorts. I suppose I hit across a different one again.

I shifted it a bit tonight so I could degrease the engine when I get a chance. Went through a light check again. The left indicator has a bizarre behaviour where it will start blinking more or less normally then rapidly accelerate. The bulbs all work. I need to check a couple of things before I draw a conclusion but my preliminary thought is maybe it's a bad earth in the left front indicator because it also houses the parking lights. I think the last time I tried it the parks were also on. Need some elimination action when I get to it.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Plus the Finns have the coolest tuned Ladas. :v: (And Lada Raider!)

Spot on, both on my country and my name.

Yeah, Lada was really popular in the 70s here, being the cheapest car available. Nowadays you dont see them around that much, only old people and enthusiast still care about these.

But General_Failures Niva is turning out really nice! Yeah, I noticed youre from Australia, just general assumption seeing how US centric this forum is, no offense meant :)

The damage is nothing, the cat probably is hosed, aswell as lambda and the air filter of course. Changing those and replacing the plug for the engine aswell, so its rather easy, just havent had the time, as Im working from 0300 to 1500 most days.

And sorry, the 1.6l engine Im keeping, Im looking to get another 1600 Lada I can swap the engine into and build something out of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

punakone posted:

My current Lada hosed itself last winter as the overflow for the oil (dont know what its called in English) froze, pumped the oil into the air filter, then bust the rubber cap off the engine and sprayed it all over the engine room and left me on the road side
It's normally called a "breather", Assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've kind of wanted one of these for years (and a million other cars) and now you've got me searching again damnit.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

punakone posted:

Spot on, both on my country and my name.

Yeah, Lada was really popular in the 70s here, being the cheapest car available. Nowadays you dont see them around that much, only old people and enthusiast still care about these.

But General_Failures Niva is turning out really nice! Yeah, I noticed youre from Australia, just general assumption seeing how US centric this forum is, no offense meant :)

The damage is nothing, the cat probably is hosed, aswell as lambda and the air filter of course. Changing those and replacing the plug for the engine aswell, so its rather easy, just havent had the time, as Im working from 0300 to 1500 most days.

And sorry, the 1.6l engine Im keeping, Im looking to get another 1600 Lada I can swap the engine into and build something out of it.

That's it isn't it. it's because they were so cheap they were popular. And the Niva was popular with tight fisted farmers, where it served its task well. Most Nivas still around were from farms. If I'm to believe the PO of mine, mine was too.

It sounds like the damage to the engine / exhaust was pretty minimal then. That's good. I was only kidding about the engine but I would like to know how that much power was extracted from the 1.6!

You didn't offend me in the slightest. Australia is a weird country for the mix of cars it has and at some point almost everything has probably been sold here.

I'm fairly happy with the way it's turning out. Especially so quickly, but that was my intent. I am having trouble sourcing little things though like the latches for the quarter windows. Both are totally missing.

Cakefool posted:

I've kind of wanted one of these for years (and a million other cars) and now you've got me searching again damnit.

Add it to the wish list then. Where are you at? I suppose the good thing is they are really cheap. Starting to appreciate though so if you want one you should do it soonish.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Another minor update. The left indicator misbehaviour seems to have something to do with the headlights but I'm not sure what. It'll probably be remedied by cleaning everything I can.

The rear window washer works. It also washes the luggage area of the cabin. I think the tube snapped where it flexes to get to the rear hatch. If that's all it is I should be able to replace the section with some PVC hose and joiners I hope. Screw doing the whole tube. it runs inside the headliner!

I found a can of foaming degreaser in the garage. Score of the day! Warmed up the engine a little and did a first wave degrease. Still some stubborn bits left but I used up the can. Glad I did it. There's a vacuum pot on the exhaust which seems to have a blown diaphragm. I saw carbon marks on the intake manifold near it and could feel puffing on my hand too I think. It's a little hard to tell with the engine fan nearby.

The front of the engine still sounds like it's eating spanners so I'm going to do another timing chain adjust and throw caution into the wind and see if I can adjust the rockers without a standby gasket waiting. I suspect they are just as neglected as the timing chain adjuster.

After the degreasing when I managed to get it started again my little boy wanted drivies. So I shifted the fairlane and shuffled it back and forth in the drive an up on to the lump repeatedly until Iw as sure everything had dried out and it was running smoothly. I even managed to get the center diff lock to work. It's super stiff from lack of use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

The front of the engine still sounds like it's eating spanners

1.) I love that phrasing
2.) Are you positive that's not what it sounded like from the factory? Just saying.
3.) I want one of these things badly now. And I want to put a 4BT in it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

1.) I love that phrasing
I may or may not have paraphrased Clarkson on the Toyota Hilux engine sound.

quote:

2.) Are you positive that's not what it sounded like from the factory? Just saying.
Pretty sure. But it seems to be otherwise happy and firing on all four. There's a lot of valve noise though. I like this sound better than the weird vibration it had before I adjusted the timing chain. Given the procedure involves loosening a nut, turning the engine and tightening it again I don't think I messed it up too badly.

quote:

3.) I want one of these things badly now. And I want to put a 4BT in it.
I had to look that engine up. I think you'd need a lot of vaseline to get it in there. Impossible to say without dimensions. Even in the driveway I was having a blast with it. Its engine note is so weird. It reminds me of something like a really old escort mixed with a tractor. It just chugs along until I hit the loud pedal and it winds straight up with that elastic band twang kind of buzz. I like it. It's an eager car. Not one that seems to loathe you for trying to drive it.
There is that kijiji or whatever it was ad that was posted earlier in the page. you can collect the set!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are you happier now that you got a car you wanted?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

There is that kijiji or whatever it was ad that was posted earlier in the page. you can collect the set!

Kijii is :canada: and I'm :911:, so unfortunately that's just an additional importation nightmare more than I can handle, as I've got a diesel Defender 110 in the pipeline as soon as they hit 25 years old (the age when we can import non-conforming vehicles for normal road use with no emissions/safety restrictions as long as they remain "stock").

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Or you can get one of a kind:

niva truck

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

iv46vi posted:

Or you can get one of a kind:

niva truck

Sarcasm? The ute is a legit variant as is the cabrio. Ther'es also a LWB 5 door wagon version that we didn't get here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For the washer fluid hose, just make sure it's loose up there (ie not strapped or taped to anything over the headliner) then use a joiner barb fitting and a healthy amount of your favorite tape to connect them end to end. Then carefully drag the new one in over the headliner using the old one. As long as you put the barb in solidly and make the tape layer smooth, it should go pretty well.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Are you happier now that you got a car you wanted?

I guess. I'll be happy when it's registered. It's nice to work on something easy for a change.

kastein posted:

For the washer fluid hose, just make sure it's loose up there (ie not strapped or taped to anything over the headliner) then use a joiner barb fitting and a healthy amount of your favorite tape to connect them end to end. Then carefully drag the new one in over the headliner using the old one. As long as you put the barb in solidly and make the tape layer smooth, it should go pretty well.

Good idea. A high stakes game though for sure. I have this awful feeling it probably does something mad like run down the inside of the A pillar.

I went through and wrote out a list of things I need to do. Then my son wandered off with it.It's mostly fixing idiot work. One of them is very special. I noticed one of the dust covers on one of the rear shocks was hanging loose. I tried to push it back on but couldn't. The holder for it is squashed against the undercarriage. The tops on these shocks are offset and the drivers one was put on the wrong way. Oh dear. I noticed they are Koni gas shocks. nice.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I ran it for the longest time yet, using it to charge the quad's battery. drat thing was being stubborn. Anyhow I noticed the idle is wandering a little and when I eventually shut it off there was a little run-on. So the way I see it there's either too much advance or more likely a vacuum leak.

very late edit:
The mystery device seems to be an EGR. The diaphragm is blown and there is a very mangy looking hose going to the intake manifold. I wonder what plugging that would do? I think the EGR will be disabled shortly.

I had a hunch and I followed it. I looked in the glovebox under the random paperwork and what did I find under it? The quarter window latches. YES! Now all I need to do is figure out how the hell to glue them back on to the glass. So glad I found them because apparently they aren't available on their own.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 18, 2013

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Another minor update. The left indicator misbehaviour seems to have something to do with the headlights but I'm not sure what. It'll probably be remedied by cleaning everything I can.

My Lada had the samo problem, where the blinkers will start blinking rapidly, and sometimes only the parking lights work. Usually the fix is to pound the fusebox so check your fuses and relays, wiggling the relays fixes the lights and the blinkers are usually caused by a bad fuse.

Also I have no idea what went into building the 1.6l, it has a custom manifold so it can seat two twin barrel side draft carbs but theres some internal work aswell. And that 170 is on the low side too, some guys here got 190hp from the late 90s Lada Samara engine.

A random trivia: Here in Finland, there were three big car maker cups, Lada Cup, Saab Cup and Fiat Cup. One time it was proposed for the three series to have a competition. Saab guys protested while Lada and Fiat cup were for it. This was back when circuit racing was still popular in Finland, so they held it. And the reason why Saab cup protested was found out, out of all three they were the slowest. Ladas ended up winning it hands down. This is 1600cc naturally aspirated Ladas beating turbo Fiat Unos and Saab 900s.

Im sorry if you dont like this OP, this is the only Lada related thread and Im more than happy to share random tidbits abotu them.

Patrocclesiastes fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 18, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

punakone posted:

Also I have no idea what went into building the 1.6l, it has a custom manifold so it can seat two twin barrel side draft carbs but theres some internal work aswell. And that 170 is on the low side too, some guys here got 190hp from the late 90s Lada Samara engine.

I had to read up on the Samara a bit, and apparently Porsche helped them with engine development, pretty rad.

Even more rad is that you could apparently get the Samara with a 140hp wankel rotary. Russian build quality with a rotary engine? :getin:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

punakone posted:

My Lada had the samo problem, where the blinkers will start blinking rapidly, and sometimes only the parking lights work. Usually the fix is to pound the fusebox so check your fuses and relays, wiggling the relays fixes the lights and the blinkers are usually caused by a bad fuse.

A random trivia: Here in Finland, there were three big car maker cups, Lada Cup, Saab Cup and Fiat Cup. One time it was proposed for the three series to have a competition. Saab guys protested while Lada and Fiat cup were for it. This was back when circuit racing was still popular in Finland, so they held it. And the reason why Saab cup protested was found out, out of all three they were the slowest. Ladas ended up winning it hands down. This is 1600cc naturally aspirated Ladas beating turbo Fiat Unos and Saab 900s.

Im sorry if you dont like this OP, this is the only Lada related thread and Im more than happy to share random tidbits abotu them.

Please, do keep going. It's really interesting. I'm more than happy to have the Lada talk here.

You know, I know of someone sitting on a stockpile of what would now be NOS Samara parts. Perhaps it could be useful.

KozmoNaut posted:

I had to read up on the Samara a bit, and apparently Porsche helped them with engine development, pretty rad.

Even more rad is that you could apparently get the Samara with a 140hp wankel rotary. Russian build quality with a rotary engine? :getin:

It looked a lot like a Mazda rotary. I think it is a terrifying mix and would love to try one.

I put the first dose of inox on the valve thing on the exhaust manifold. I'm not even going to try removing it yet.
I suspect it's part of an EGR setup but can't be sure. My repair manual has things in it that people can only imagine in their wildest dreams but it lacks a hose diagram. It even has a very dense page which shows crossections of the bodywork all over the car and how it goes together I'm assuming for fabrication / repair work so nobody has to go in blind. Hell it even has a cutaway diagram of the horn, and how to rebuild the shock absorbers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

it lacks a hose diagram......... has a cutaway diagram of the horn, and how to rebuild the shock absorbers.

:suicide: Seriously?

Is this what you have: http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/lada/1600_1.pdf (goes on until _8). I looked through it and didn't see a vacuum diagram.

Buck check this forum post out. Second graphic down. Maybe that will help: http://www.lada.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

:suicide: Seriously?

Is this what you have: http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/lada/1600_1.pdf (goes on until _8). I looked through it and didn't see a vacuum diagram.

Buck check this forum post out. Second graphic down. Maybe that will help: http://www.lada.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10899

My manual is a slightly different version of that one. I downloaded that one a few months ago. I appreciate the effort tough. Thanks!

That #2 picture in the thread is of some use. #4 has a blown diaphragm.

I'm not sure the 3rd picture is correct for the model. It's surprisingly cramped around the shoehorned in emissions stuff. I may be totally off base but I think that #4 thing could be for EGR. Especially because there seems to be a 8-10mm hose coming from its general vicinity going to the intake manifold. It's not the brake booster. I can see that hose clearly. The hose in question also seems to have something weird going on. The intake half is just rubber hose. Then theres a few windings of electrical tape and on the other end is some kind of braided hose or covering. There's also a weird large diameter open rubber thing jammed in down there. I don't know if it's something someone jammed in there or what. More investigation is necessary.

When I went out there earlier I found the driver's window winder handle lying on the floor :( I choose to believe that the little backing piece and the pin or whatever holds it on were already missing.

The service manual covers fixing essentially every part of the car. It's a car spergs dreams come true.

There's a nice warning sticker in the engine bay I've been meaning to photograph. The main text reads something like "Disconnect battery when charging or arc welding". What I have to wonder is if they mean when arc welding on the car, or using the battery to arc weld with.

• Locked thread