Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Drone posted:

Link to these people?

Oh! I just found this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2DiDaQkO-0

Most of his video history is Combat Mission AAR videos, and they're all making really good side-monitor entertainment at work so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Here's where the thread devolves into bitching about how horrid the interface for Graviteam is.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Apparently pounding a place with nuclear weapons has its costs on your airframe

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Gewehr 43 posted:

Here's where the thread devolves into bitching about how horrid the interface for Graviteam is.

I mean this is the Grog thread, it goes without saying.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

Link to these people?

PanzerPajamas, like Squiggle said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlhKqczTNgQ

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

I googled "Panzer Pajamas" and, well, uh....

http://www.cafepress.com/+tiger-panzer+pajamas

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My all time favourite jet shirt.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Apparently pounding a place with nuclear weapons has its costs on your airframe

Well, boys, we got three sensors out, we got more holes in us than a horse trader's mule, the radio is gone and we're leaking fuel and if we was flying any lower why we'd need sleigh bells on this thing... But we got one little budge on them Rooskies. At this height why they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen!

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

I wish he would tone down/completely turn off whatever mask or filter he's got on there that is making that fake depth-of-field effect. I don't even care if I'm alone in hating that, because it's really bugging me.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

markgreyam posted:

I wish he would tone down/completely turn off whatever mask or filter he's got on there that is making that fake depth-of-field effect. I don't even care if I'm alone in hating that, because it's really bugging me.

You're not alone. I thought someone was wrong with my playback or buffering, but it turns out that poo poo is intentional. :/

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

markgreyam posted:

I don't even care if I'm alone in hating that, because it's really bugging me.

It's not just you, it looks loving terrible.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Watched a bit of them. Those videos are cool once or twice but they kinda get old after that. Some of his choices of camera angle / action to highlight are really bad (like a sloooow beauty pass of a half-track as it plods along).

The rest of the production is pretty impressive though. I especially like his interstitial screens that makes it look like he's playing a hex-and-chit board game.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Afghanistan '11 is out now. I was going to instabuy it but turns out that it's three times as expensive as Vietnam 65 so maybe I'll wait for a sale instead.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Obfuscation posted:

Afghanistan '11 is out now. I was going to instabuy it but turns out that it's three times as expensive as Vietnam 65 so maybe I'll wait for a sale instead.

Same here. It sounds like it is a deeper game, so it may be well worth the premium, but I'm not bored of V65 yet, so I can wait to see how others like it first.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
My experience with afgan 11 was it is a little more complex but not deeper.

On that note some interesting reading today:

https://twitter.com/SpaceRumsfeld/status/844959556803313664

https://warisboring.com/prepare-pursue-prevail-the-frothy-verbiage-of-gen-joseph-votel-9595891c3add#.fsvhpznmg

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Obfuscation posted:

Perhaps they had some prompt feedback because they tacked on a 10% sale for the first week. That brings it closer to the $19.99 I expected it to cost, so I grabbed it. Anyway, I sorta feel like I stole Vietnam '65 for the $5 or whatever I paid for it on sale considering what I got out of it.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

When will I get a digital adaptation of this poo poo????

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Xenolalia posted:

When will I get a digital adaptation of this poo poo????

When computers stop catching fire from just calculating the base value of the game, never mind the expanded damage tables.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I found Vietnam '65 incredibly meh'. So I'm guessing Afghanistan '11 is not going to be worth the current cost to me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Watching a LP of Afghanistan 11 made it seem very tedious and routine-based to me.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tiller's Panzer Battles demo has been released - this is meant to be the mid-sized game sitting between the smaller squad battles and larger scope panzer campaigns. It's quite generous with 13 scenarios across western, eastern, african and pacific theatres.

http://johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles/PanzerBattlesDemo.html

quote:

Included Scenarios

The Panzer Battles Demo, on release includes 13 playable scenarios and a further 5 reference scenarios ranging from 5 turns to 32 turns in length. Representative battles from the Pacific, North Africa, Eastern and Western Europe are included with examples of small (battalion/regiment), medium (division) and large (corps) engagements.

May 1940; Belgium - Battle of Hannut 2 scenarios
March 1941; North Africa – Mersa el Brega 4 scenarios
August 1942; Guadalcanal – Tenaru River 2 scenarios
July 1943; Russia – Klyuchi (Getting Started) 1 scenario
August 1943; Russia - Bogodukhov 4 scenarios

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Can Tiller please pay a starving artist something, anything to get some half decent art assets. Jesus Christ.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
o_0

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
o_0:fh:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That's the reason I like Command. No need to decipher hundreds of icons, just a bunch of dropdowns and let the game handle the rest.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So the UI in Command Ops 1 fucks up on my comp. I tried different resolutions and admin and nothing. I read online and tried changing font size or downloading new fonts, but it still won't work. I don't really feel the need to upgrade unless I have to, but I don't think I should be unable to play a game I own for something like this.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dtkozl posted:

My experience with afgan 11 was it is a little more complex but not deeper.

On that note some interesting reading today:

https://twitter.com/SpaceRumsfeld/status/844959556803313664

https://warisboring.com/prepare-pursue-prevail-the-frothy-verbiage-of-gen-joseph-votel-9595891c3add#.fsvhpznmg

Bruce is the token right winger on Three Moves Ahead, right? I wouldn't disagree that the Tet connection is iffy but it doesn't really disprove the article's thesis.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Now this is the good poo poo

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

I refuse to believe this is real.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I refuse to believe this is real.

Never paid $40 to play a John Tiller game? They all look exactly like that.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

He set down his Rush Limbaugh coffee mug and let out a resigned sigh. First they'd convinced him to add "artwork" to the hexes. Well, we didn't need artwork when I designed boardgames for SPI, he thought. It wasn't anger that ran through him but disdain, disdain for those who would never be satisfied at the effort he put into modernizing the user interface of his games. Would they ever know how hard he thought on the best possible layout? No. No he decided, they wouldn't. What would do better than every button in a line? It was like his DVORAK keyboard. Perfect.

At that he pushed himself back from his desk and ran his gnarled coders fingers through his rich gray beard. Someone told him to get his games on Steam. Hah. Not likely. He thought back to Prodigy, AOL, and even that colossus that was Compuserve. What did Steam have on any of those giants of the original internet. He liked that age better. Usenet just felt... proper.

Pangs of hunger rumbled through him. He glanced up at the rust streaked shelves and wondered if it was all worth it. Maybe he would do that price increase.

At that he stood. His knees cracked. He set off to open another can of Fancy Feast. "God," he said under his breath, "I hope there's some savory salmon left."

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Which button makes my rations twice as many but half as tasty.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Yooper posted:

He set down his Rush Limbaugh coffee mug and let out a resigned sigh. First they'd convinced him to add "artwork" to the hexes. Well, we didn't need artwork when I designed boardgames for SPI, he thought. It wasn't anger that ran through him but disdain, disdain for those who would never be satisfied at the effort he put into modernizing the user interface of his games. Would they ever know how hard he thought on the best possible layout? No. No he decided, they wouldn't. What would do better than every button in a line? It was like his DVORAK keyboard. Perfect.

At that he pushed himself back from his desk and ran his gnarled coders fingers through his rich gray beard. Someone told him to get his games on Steam. Hah. Not likely. He thought back to Prodigy, AOL, and even that colossus that was Compuserve. What did Steam have on any of those giants of the original internet. He liked that age better. Usenet just felt... proper.

Pangs of hunger rumbled through him. He glanced up at the rust streaked shelves and wondered if it was all worth it. Maybe he would do that price increase.

At that he stood. His knees cracked. He set off to open another can of Fancy Feast. "God," he said under his breath, "I hope there's some savory salmon left."

I love you

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

I'm dying.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

uPen posted:

Never paid $40 to play a John Tiller game? They all look exactly like that.

I have an old Squad Battles Vietnam disc somewhere, but I don’t remember lmbo like I am now tho.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yooper posted:

Lmbo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

haha

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

:vince:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Yooper posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

Bruce is the token right winger on Three Moves Ahead, right?

His twitter name is SpaceRumsfeld

Oh huh it's by Andrew Bacevitch. 3MA and Dan Carlin is an interesting intersection of podcasts.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 25, 2017