Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bobkatt013 posted:

It was more that she keeps on trying to get involved with magic, and then used as a pawn as seen in Carey's first storyline.

Will definitely give this a reread. My recollection is that she simply sucks at magic, but I suppose it could be taken as opening yourself up to the poo poo and getting burned when you realize its much more serious than you expected. My most recent recollection of Gemma though was the WTF cameo in Mina's run. I'm sure Zatanna's father would have some spooky thing to say about this, or something from Books of Magic.

quote:

Was the mini series that bad? I remember she was pretty cool in Sandman.

Not Trench Coat Brigade bad no. The whole John being reincarninated over and over or the fate woven into his family thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Chalk it up to personal taste (see also the wrong people in the thread who like Azz's run :P )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, out of all the crimes an artist can commit, drawing samey faces is a pretty minor one. He's not exactly Liefeld.

Dillon has a weird quality to his art that I can't place. I really dislike his style but it's hard to say why. Maybe it's because his samey faces are all very unattractive, or that everyone always seems oddly stiff. There's no fluidity to his figures.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Martello posted:

Dillon has a weird quality to his art that I can't place. I really dislike his style but it's hard to say why. Maybe it's because his samey faces are all very unattractive, or that everyone always seems oddly stiff. There's no fluidity to his figures.

I think Dillon's art really worked in Preacher, but that's about it. I don't really like it on Hellblazer, it was okay for Punisher but not amazing, and anywhere else it just doesn't work.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bilirubin posted:

The whole John being reincarninated over and over or the fate woven into his family thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Agreed on both points.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't agree with Rhyno much, but if he and I are the only two who step up to bat for Azzarello's run so be it. Constantine in prison was a return to the Constantine as seen by Swamp Thing, mysterious and dangerous and scary. It doesn't really jibe with the rest of Hellblazer, where John is constantly on the backfoot until he burns and breaks whatever he needs to hurt the other guy worse.

We're best friends now and you are never getting rid of me.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I also love that the big badguy behind everything in Azzarello's run was Vertigo Bruce Wayne. His motivation was both stone cold and almost totally understandable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Medullah posted:

I think Dillon's art really worked in Preacher, but that's about it. I don't really like it on Hellblazer, it was okay for Punisher but not amazing, and anywhere else it just doesn't work.

Orlok the Assassin has a message for you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In Hellblazer 163, the second part of the two-parter illustrated by Guy Davis that flashes back to the days of Mucous Membrane to set up the story of SW Mason, who's the mysterious figure who kills Angie? Destiny?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

In Hellblazer 163, the second part of the two-parter illustrated by Guy Davis that flashes back to the days of Mucous Membrane to set up the story of SW Mason, who's the mysterious figure who kills Angie? Destiny?

No. But I have no idea who it is.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I updated the OP with the tv trailer, any other info I should put up there? I must have unbookmarked this thread but with the tv show coming out I am guessing there might be some resurgence in the comics hopefully?!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

The whole John being reincarninated over and over or the fate woven into his family thing left a
I thought the whole "your family is hosed" thing came about from that Con-Stan-Teyn issue about the "first" Constantine (who was I think THE Constantine) loving with magic, imprisoning Merlin as an immortal head and killing his sons in exchange for immortality (and I think he transformed into a dragon? I don't remember much)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NBC have announced that the show will debut on October 24th.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Another new trailer for the TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8YAlnMVELw

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Flaggy posted:

Another new trailer for the TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8YAlnMVELw

teen not tyne eh?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Will definitely give this a reread. My recollection is that she simply sucks at magic, but I suppose it could be taken as opening yourself up to the poo poo and getting burned when you realize its much more serious than you expected. My most recent recollection of Gemma though was the WTF cameo in Mina's run. I'm sure Zatanna's father would have some spooky thing to say about this, or something from Books of Magic.

Not Trench Coat Brigade bad no. The whole John being reincarninated over and over or the fate woven into his family thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Chalk it up to personal taste (see also the wrong people in the thread who like Azz's run :P )

What happened with Gemma in Milligan's run left a bad taste in my mouth for what was otherwise a pretty inoffensive series of stories. A bit of a bore, though. I've read every Constantine except Delano's run, and I still think they're all worth reading. Which run was it where it ended with Cheryl biting it after Constantine thinks he's won the day? That is one of the hardest hitting endings I've ever read in a funny page.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Dr. Fate's helmet was in that trailer...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NarkyBark posted:

Dr. Fate's helmet was in that trailer...

Indeed. I wonder who else might show up. You know, a certain green mossy dude has a deep connection to our boy John...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Indeed. I wonder who else might show up. You know, a certain green mossy dude has a deep connection to our boy John...

Is John going to bang his girl?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LordPants posted:

Is John going to bang his girl?

I mean, that's what I was getting at.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I mean, that's what I was getting at.

I GET JOKES.

:negative:

edit: I just thought you were just talking about their general affinity for one another, my bad.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 11, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shageletic posted:

What happened with Gemma in Milligan's run left a bad taste in my mouth for what was otherwise a pretty inoffensive series of stories. A bit of a bore, though. I've read every Constantine except Delano's run, and I still think they're all worth reading. Which run was it where it ended with Cheryl biting it after Constantine thinks he's won the day? That is one of the hardest hitting endings I've ever read in a funny page.

That was Carey. He then goes into Hell thinking he can save her, but she choices to stay in hell due to her husband being there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shageletic posted:

I gave up on the title entirely in Milligan's run.

Agree on the spoiled bit BTW, very powerful

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So if anyone is involved in the seedy underbelly of internet crime, the pilot has leaked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

So if anyone is involved in the seedy underbelly of internet crime, the pilot has leaked.

It's tempting, but what if it's really good, and then I have to wait until November for the second episode? Or what if it sucks and I have to listen to people being optimistic about it until then?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

It's tempting, but what if it's really good, and then I have to wait until November for the second episode? Or what if it sucks and I have to listen to people being optimistic about it until then?
Having seen the pilot weeks ago thanks to being given the NBC pilot screener compilation from my boss, I can say in a general sense it's solid, not gonna revolutionize the genre, but worth following. Matt Ryan does a solid enough job with John for what they're going for. He's snarky and dismissive, like a magic-weilding House, but he's also willing to show fear and emotion like the pre-New52 version, instead of the stoic badass cliche running around the universe currently. It's gonna carve out a nice niche after Grimm, I see why they made that move. I'm not intimately familiar with the comic, so there's a couple character changes in his supporting cast that are questionable, and are definitely meant to set up a long arc/b-plot mystery. Not sure how those are gonna go over with the die-hard comic fans.

And for the goon who mentioned it, there actually is a cutesy little reference to a certain mossy green fellow, but as a background gag, right before the helmet of Fate thing. Not sure if it means anything or if it's a winking reference.

Also it's literally the best new thing coming to NBC so wherever this show falls for you, expect that much worse from the rest of their lineup, as a general heads-up. The don't think I made it fully through anything else.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Space_Butler posted:

And for the goon who mentioned it, there actually is a cutesy little reference to a certain mossy green fellow, but as a background gag, right before the helmet of Fate thing. Not sure if it means anything or if it's a winking reference.

PLEASESAYITSTHETATTOOPLEASESAYITSTHETATTOO

e. whoa sorry I thought I had outgrown real fan enthusiasm

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 1, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

In the trailer or the pilot?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

In the trailer or the pilot?

In the pilot itself. Also, the helmet of Fate may tie into another item that the new girl has on her. It definitely implies that the show is going to play around with the larger magical side of the DCU, the same way that Arrow has its own corner carved out without going full blown DCU.

Bilirubin posted:

PLEASESAYITSTHETATTOOPLEASESAYITSTHETATTOO

e. whoa sorry I thought I had outgrown real fan enthusiasm
Man, I really hate doing this dancing around stuff, I may as well just spoiler the little easter egg things from the one scene. Prepare for a little letdown after the hype probably generated by my vaguety.

The big green guy reference is a small sculpture of a head in a display case. It's a little hard to make out because the video was grainy and in a dimly lit room, but it's green, has red eyes, and has the trademark nose holes and upside down tan V running down the face from the nose to the neck. It's not an actual head, just some kind of relic, but it was too specifically shown and focused on for a few seconds.. Time will tell if it means anything or is just a cutesy nod.

Oh, and it's found in an old creepy house in the woods, that belonged to her father. The girl's father is named Jasper, and all these items are found in cases or on pedestals, as well as some dialogue from Constantine that implies her father specifically sought out relics and stored them here for safekeeping.

As far as the helmet of Fate she walks over and stares at it, then picks it up and looks straight at it. John warns her to put it down "before it takes control of her". This whole time, there's a musical cue and a direct focus on the helmet, it's not just an easter egg in the background. So with how blatant network tv tends to be, I take that to mean it'll come back into play sometime later.

Lastly, tying into above, she has a pendant which plays a heavy part in her magical abilities and the episode itself. Considering the focus scene on the helmet, and the pendant having been given to her by her father, one has to wonder if it's the Amulet of Anubis. There's nothing explicitly stated, just some dot connecting and speculation, but given the obvious visual cues and long con setups in the episode, it's certainly not impossible.

Edit 2: Welp, Rich Johnston doesn't care about secrecy, he just posted a shitload of screens about all the easter eggs in the whole episode, for anyone that wants to ruin themselves.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 2, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Zed is coming.

:toot:

e. related article about the departure of the female lead from the trailer http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/10/true-blood-alum-lucy-griffiths-departs-nbcs-constantine/

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 16, 2014

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So are they scrapping what they have or will Zed just be the second arc?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sporklift posted:

So are they scrapping what they have or will Zed just be the second arc?

They only have the pilot and second episode, so far as I know, and the second episode is being reworked to throw Liv under a bus in traditional Constantine style. The show doesn't launch until 24th October, so they have plenty of time to produce 11 more episodes.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jedit posted:

They only have the pilot and second episode, so far as I know, and the second episode is being reworked to throw Liv under a bus in traditional Constantine style.

Never too early to start collecting the ghosts

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

The official Facebook page just posted something that's made me slightly more hopeful about the TV Series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Venmoch posted:

The official Facebook page just posted something that's made me slightly more hopeful about the TV Series.

They've been clear that John will be seen to be a smoker, but due to TV regulations he can't be seen actually smoking. They've got around it by having him preparing to light up, pitching butts or holding lit cigarettes without drawing on them.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I've been reading the thread, then went to the facebook and laughed because there's a few clueless people that think this is a sequel for the movie, then rolled my eyes because 1)people can't stop whining about the smoking part,2)people writing essays about how the writers of the show should "really write Constantine".

And,so, it seems there's another new character announced:

quote:

Constantine found its big Papa.

Michael James Shaw has been cast in the recurring guest role of Papa Midnite, the voodoo king of New Orleans, in NBC's new horror-tinged fall series. Midnite is a formidable magical adversary for demon hunter John Constantine, played by series star Matt Ryan.

The show is based on the long-running Vertigo Comics series Hellblazer and DC Comics' current Constantine comic book, and Papa Midnite has long been a thorn in Constantine's side in the comics since his first appearance in Hellblazer No. 1 (1988). That relationship carries over into the TV series, though with evil forces rising on Earth, they might have to hug it out and become uneasy allies sooner than later.

Constantine premieres Oct. 24 (10 ET/PT) with a pilot directed by Neil Marshall. The cast also includes Harold Perrineau, Charles Halford and Angélica Celaya. Daniel Cerone, David S. Goyer and Mark Verheiden are the executive producers on the show.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/08/15/michael-james-shaw-constantine-tv-exclusive/14124507/

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Jedit posted:

They've been clear that John will be seen to be a smoker, but due to TV regulations he can't be seen actually smoking.

I was just glad to see some form of confirmation about it! That said, there's a few things I'm not expecting to see, like a wizard who can conjour illusions by smoking crack (Haunted was an excellent story that would make a fantastic episode). But that may go a little further that TV execs are willing to go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's slightly hilarious to me that Papa Midnite is consistently brought up when they adapt Hellblazer. He's in the first issue, but he dies in the second, and isn't really brought up again. (I haven't read the Papa Midnite mini, maybe that's really great). He's in the Keanu Reeves movie too, but as a bouncer a magic bar. I think they just like the name and there aren't that many black people in the comics. If they centered it around New York, or tied it into the trans-continental railroads they could use Map.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's slightly hilarious to me that Papa Midnite is consistently brought up when they adapt Hellblazer. He's in the first issue, but he dies in the second

No he doesn't. Midnite doesn't die until issue 75, and even then he's not actually dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's slightly hilarious to me that Papa Midnite is consistently brought up when they adapt Hellblazer. He's in the first issue, but he dies in the second, and isn't really brought up again. (I haven't read the Papa Midnite mini, maybe that's really great). He's in the Keanu Reeves movie too, but as a bouncer a magic bar. I think they just like the name and there aren't that many black people in the comics. If they centered it around New York, or tied it into the trans-continental railroads they could use Map.

Have you actually read the comics and did you even pay attention to the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Last one in the thread probably to have seen the "leaked" trailer but other than his voice not being quite what I envisioned I really enjoyed it! About 15 minutes in and I was thinking that they had "gotten" John much much better than that film thing. Am cautiously optimistic for this series.

• Locked thread