Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In fairness, he could be French and be closer to the original character than in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

In fairness, he could be French and be closer to the original character than in the movie.

I feel like the Constantine movie changed a lot all of the details, but they kept the heart of Constantine pretty true - he's a bastard, he's a conman, and he's good at being both.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Adventures of Jon Constantine the American cousin of John Constantine just proved being an bastard is genetic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's Welsh, his accent is a very unique blend of northern english, welsh and educated non specific english.

I grew up in Liverpool and the surrounding towns, "scouse" is as varied as any dialect, the older and more educated scousers are, the less they sound like Steven Gerrard

As a native i have zero issue with his accent

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rocksicles posted:

He's Welsh, his accent is a very unique blend of northern english, welsh and educated non specific english.

I grew up in Liverpool and the surrounding towns, "scouse" is as varied as any dialect, the older and more educated scousers are, the less they sound like Steven Gerrard

As a native i have zero issue with his accent

Yeah the accent was less an issue for me in the end than the gravelly, raspy tone. But, I'm not sure why I didn't expect him to sound like a smoker really--maybe it was meeting him presented like Sting as a kid I just expected him to sound like Sting.

Interesting take on Chas--again much more true to the book than Shia. I look forward to getting a better explanation for what happened but part of me kinda hopes they never do, leaving it as sort of a Kenny-like situation.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

how about a Mucous Membrane promo pic?
https://38.media.tumblr.com/47380c6b50acffbc2b6eda1b4aeec8f9/tumblr_ncw6ntNnOY1r00lgio1_500.jpg

Extra episodes ordered: http://deadline.com/2014/10/mysteries-of-laura-constantine-script-orders-nbc-847687/

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Digital trades sale. $6 each.
https://www.comixology.com/Constant...cmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

e: That's Hellblazer up to #83, City of Demons, the 'Shoot' collection and the first N52 one.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 21, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Its too bad that they did not do a Flash like sale. I would have gotten the entire series and maybe some JLD.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Digital trades sale. $6 each.
https://www.comixology.com/Constant...cmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

e: That's Hellblazer up to #83, City of Demons, the 'Shoot' collection and the first N52 one.

Anyone want to offer opinions on whether these are good ways to read Hellblazer (the volumes don't appear to collect the issues from 1-83 straight through, but pick and skip around a bit), and if they're all worthwhile or any to be avoided? Never read any Hellblazer myself yet, but I think I'd like to and the price is good -- well under $1/issue in total.

edit: never mind. It appears these are the primary collected form of the series, and only Bloodlines is listed as skipping around. (VVV thanks for confirming.) I assume this is all important, classic, enjoyable stuff?

onefish fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 21, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

onefish posted:

Anyone want to offer opinions on whether these are good ways to read Hellblazer (the volumes don't appear to collect the issues from 1-83 straight through, but pick and skip around a bit), and if they're all worthwhile or any to be avoided? Never read any Hellblazer myself yet, but I think I'd like to and the price is good -- well under $1/issue in total.

Yes it is. The only issues are a couple missing in volume 6.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Gonna say no just based on the fact that the creator credits for the Dangerous Habits collection lists Delano as the writer and Ennis as the artist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sizone posted:

Gonna say no just based on the fact that the creator credits for the Dangerous Habits collection lists Delano as the writer and Ennis as the artist.

I have that trade and its pretty loving good. The non Dangerous Habit collection has a super important story for Constantine.

Just a warning that the early stuff is hugely Anti-Thatcher and very political. Its still some of my favorite Hellblazer.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It was a joke about comixology's proof reading department.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sizone posted:

It was a joke about comixology's proof reading department.

Yeah, but still get that trade. The stuff being offered is really good, and will be a purchase for me. I just wanted more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only Hellblazer that people consistently say is bad is the stuff by Denise Mina (I didn't hate it, but I understand people's problem). A few dumb people don't like the Azzarello run, but those people are obviously crazy and should be ignored. Neither of those runs seem to be part of the sale, so go for it. The relaunch titled "Constantine" bringing him into DC 52 continuity isn't that good, so you can skip that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new series is improving with every issue. It'll never been the real John but it's all we have left.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

The new series is improving with every issue. It'll never been the real John but it's all we have left.

Huh, I might have to give it a second chance, I read what's included in that Comixology sale and was unimpressed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Huh, I might have to give it a second chance, I read what's included in that Comixology sale and was unimpressed.

They're expanding his role in the n52 a bit, he's getting involved in the Earth 2 event as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The last few with him and Dr Fate and Earth 2 are good? I quit everything Dark after that horrible Blight crossover, but that sounds interesting.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The only genuinely good John Constantine nu52 story is the whiskey tree arc in Soule's Swamp thing,
I'm glad Soule is writing John one more time before his run ends.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes it is. The only issues are a couple missing in volume 6.

They might actually not be missing. For the paperback release of this book, the original listings said "Collects issues 47-50, 52-55 and 59-61" but then, when the book came out, it actually had 47-61 complete. Now, I can't say the same applies to the digital collection but it could jut be out of date description text.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's possible it's just missing some of the fill ins which from memory were pretty unmemorable. I mean, it's cute to have a run of one shots by Morrison/Gaiman etc but I seem to recall them coming in the middle of this big long epic story and you get "WE NOW INTERRUPT SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING TO BRING A STORY OF A HOMELESS GUY WHO NEEDS A HUG" or something like that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

LordPants posted:

It's possible it's just missing some of the fill ins which from memory were pretty unmemorable. I mean, it's cute to have a run of one shots by Morrison/Gaiman etc but I seem to recall them coming in the middle of this big long epic story and you get "WE NOW INTERRUPT SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING TO BRING A STORY OF A HOMELESS GUY WHO NEEDS A HUG" or something like that.

The Homeless Guy Hugging story was legitimately one of the best self contained Hellblazer stories though?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

LordPants posted:

Nah, based on the covers, these are the digital versions of the newer trades which are collecting every issue, nothing skipped. Like I said. The description text for the digital volume six is exactly the same as the text for the TPB version which was wrong. There are no missed issues in that trade and I'd expect the digital version is the same. Just another case of DC collected editions department losing the annual elbow/arse identification contest.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

Nope those are collected in The Family Man collection.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome! Again, I highly recommend Delano stuff, it's really great all jokes aside.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

Awesome! Again, I highly recommend Delano stuff, it's really great all jokes aside.

I love it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Demon Yuppies from Hell is among my favourite one shot Hellblazers ever. Along with hugging the homeless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shameless posted:

They might actually not be missing. For the paperback release of this book, the original listings said "Collects issues 47-50, 52-55 and 59-61" but then, when the book came out, it actually had 47-61 complete. Now, I can't say the same applies to the digital collection but it could jut be out of date description text.

Wasn't #51 the one where he does laundry and reveals that he's bisexual for the first time?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't 51 the one where does laundry and reveals that he's bisexual for the first time?

Yep mentions ex girlfriends and boyfriends. I am not sure if the ex-boyfriends have died horribly like the ex-girlfriends.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep mentions ex girlfriends and boyfriends. I am not sure if the ex-boyfriends have died horribly like the ex-girlfriends.

They let John Constantine into their life, the odds of them having a quiet death at an old age are pretty loving slim.

I just realized, if Constantine had been invented in the 80's instead of the 70's Dangerous Habits would have been about AIDS instead of lung cancer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

They let John Constantine into their life, the odds of them having a quiet death at an old age are pretty loving slim.

I just realized, if Constantine had been invented in the 80's instead of the 70's Dangerous Habits would have been about AIDS instead of lung cancer.

I never knew that 1985 was the 70's

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I never knew that 1985 was the 70's

Sorry, 80's/90's. I didn't discover Swamp Thing or Hellblazer until the early 2000's and I must have twisted knowing his backstory involved being a late 70's punk with the comic starting then. That makes even more sense now that I think about it, since almost no one knew about AIDS until the 90's anyways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What? Ryan White became a national celebrity in his fight to attend school in the loving 80's. He died in 1990 for gently caress's sake.

Sorry dude but you really sound like you're talking out of your rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What? Ryan White became a national celebrity in his fight to attend school in the loving 80's. He died in 1990 for gently caress's sake.

Sorry dude but you really sound like you're talking out of your rear end.

Probably.

I'm only 30 so my knowledge of early AIDS awareness is sketchy at best. I was thinking it wasn't until the 90's that you had celebrities wearing AIDS ribbons to the Oscars, Reagan took forever to say the word, even after his chief of staff died of it, and it was first called GRIDS (Gay Related Immune Deficiency Syndrome). So AIDS being more of a 90's concern than an 80's one (in terms of cultural awareness, not actual human toll) is where my head was.

I'll just admit I was wrong and let's not talk about AIDS anymore in the Hellblazer thread. Someone besides me say something nice about the Denise Mina run, or anyone say something mean about the Azzarello run and we can have a proper argument.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dangerous habits was written in 1991. Freddie Mercury died a month after it finished. People knew about AIDS. I think an early Delano story even mentioned it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zachack posted:

Dangerous habits was written in 1991. Freddie Mercury died a month after it finished. People knew about AIDS. I think an early Delano story even mentioned it.

I was trying to tie public knowledge of lung cancer, public knowledge of AIDS, that loose thread about having demon blood and Constantine's edge of the knife lifestyle together, but had a poor grasp on the various timelines involved.

Edit: I do think Garth Ennis could have written a pretty cool version of Dangerous Habits where he tricks the devil into curing him of AIDS instead of lung cancer.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 22, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Zachack posted:

Yeah, hazy recollections, I seem to recall the King of Vampires being pissed at Constantine for slumming it with a gay prostitute because he (king of vampires) had designs on Constantine's blood and vampires in Hellblazer are, oddly, not immune to AIDS. My only real clear memory of that issue was the line "ohhhh, my ringpiece"

And, yeah, Rock Hudson died in 1985, HIV/AIDS was very much in the public light from the mid '80's on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Sorry, 80's/90's. I didn't discover Swamp Thing or Hellblazer until the early 2000's and I must have twisted knowing his backstory involved being a late 70's punk with the comic starting then. That makes even more sense now that I think about it, since almost no one knew about AIDS until the 90's anyways.

Um, AIDS was a pretty big thing in the 80s.

Zachack posted:

Didn't Ray Monde's former soldier partner die of it? Or was it bashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Zachack posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure John's friend Ray from the first year of Hellblazer had AIDS.

Edit ^^^ Looked it up

http://hellblazer.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Monde

quote:

Ray's relationship with Bill came to a sad end in 1982 Bill was burned to death aboard his ship, HMS Sir Galahad, during the Falklands War. Even worse, Bill had contracted HIV at some point prior to his death and given it to Ray, though it wouldn't develop into full-blown AIDS until the late 80s. (Hellblazer issue seven, 1988)

Shameless fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 22, 2014

• Locked thread