Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

I'm going to jump in now and declare my love for the Azzarello run since I'm pretty much the only one in BSS who likes it.

That's because the writing was loving abysmal, the lead character may as well not be John, and Richard Corben drew everybody looking like thalidomide babies in a world that lacked all perspective. You're welcome to your own opinion, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shameless posted:

A reread is long overdue for me so I've dug the first twenty-odd issues out of their box. Might skip the Azzarello stuff though.

My personal favourite issue has to be the one with Chas's mum and the monkey... If you've read it I'm pretty sure you won't forget it.

gently caress that issue. That followed by Eddie "Stick To Drawing" Campbell's story caused me to stop buying Hellblazer entirely.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 18, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

The run by Denise Mina. It was just horrible. She got the character wrong and the plot sucked. It was just bad.

A little while ago in Edinburgh they had a Crime Writers Evening with Denise Mina and Ian Rankin. I wish I'd been able to go, just to ask these two famous authors what they got out of writing Hellblazer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

John Ridgway, Will Simpson and Simon Bisley, far and away.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lasher posted:

Haha, that ties in with him defeating an abomination composed of a gang of football hooligans stitched together by playing the rivalries against each other so they literally tear themselves apart. Forget who it was now.

That's in the very first story arc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I understand there's no accounting for taste, but if you think Richard Corben's a bad artist, you don't know from good comic book art.

Well, that's us told. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you great comic art:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sizone posted:

I usually hate happy endings, but they make for a nice change in Hellblazer. Like that line when Constantine is sitting in a bar and smiling over how a granddad is proudly watching his grandson chug a Coke like he'd chug a Guinness and Constantine remarks something like "Maybe nice stuff like that is going on all the time, but I don't notice it because all I ever see is poo poo."

He's actually in Ireland at the time and thinks "You don't see anything like that in London", or words to that effect.

Dream A Little Dream Of Me is a Sandman issue, not Hellblazer. I guess you were talking about early Constantine appearances?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Baby Broomer posted:

Sorry for the derail, but wait WHAT!? That's a thing I could do?

I know a few people who get all their single issues of comics bound into hardbacks. It's a thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LordPants posted:

I'm at #7 on comixology, and I'm thinking I'd like these in print. Are these collected in any large hardcovers? Or just the individual trades?

Just trades, and they're currently being reprinted with ancillary stories. Volume 4 was the last one out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Am I missing something here?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flaggy posted:

Has anyone been reading the new Constantine? Is it worth reading after I am done with this series? Also what series should I read next?

Answers in order: no, gently caress no, and The Unwritten.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

demozthenes posted:

I'm just over 100 issues into a start-to-finish Hellblazer read and I've noticed that quite a few issues aren't collected in any trades...what gives?

This is being rectified with the new releases.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I am sure they will include her and Nergal, as its an important part of his backstory. I wonder if they will include him getting his blood, and banging the purity out of Zed?

Nergal has been cast alresdy.

It's pretty obvious that the show takes place right after Newcastle, because that's when John was committed into Ravenscar. The pilot is probably going to start with the botched exorcism, and definitely has flashbacks to it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Adam Strange posted:

90's Steve Dillon is great. Incredibly naturalistic, and it's easy to see why Ennis fell in love with him.

You can see where Dillon began phoning it in about 15 or 20 issues into Preacher. But there's a reason why he was once talked up as the next Brian Bolland, and it's not because they couldn't think of anyone else to give the title to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Medullah posted:

I think Dillon's art really worked in Preacher, but that's about it. I don't really like it on Hellblazer, it was okay for Punisher but not amazing, and anywhere else it just doesn't work.

Orlok the Assassin has a message for you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

In Hellblazer 163, the second part of the two-parter illustrated by Guy Davis that flashes back to the days of Mucous Membrane to set up the story of SW Mason, who's the mysterious figure who kills Angie? Destiny?

No. But I have no idea who it is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NBC have announced that the show will debut on October 24th.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sporklift posted:

So are they scrapping what they have or will Zed just be the second arc?

They only have the pilot and second episode, so far as I know, and the second episode is being reworked to throw Liv under a bus in traditional Constantine style. The show doesn't launch until 24th October, so they have plenty of time to produce 11 more episodes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Venmoch posted:

The official Facebook page just posted something that's made me slightly more hopeful about the TV Series.

They've been clear that John will be seen to be a smoker, but due to TV regulations he can't be seen actually smoking. They've got around it by having him preparing to light up, pitching butts or holding lit cigarettes without drawing on them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's slightly hilarious to me that Papa Midnite is consistently brought up when they adapt Hellblazer. He's in the first issue, but he dies in the second

No he doesn't. Midnite doesn't die until issue 75, and even then he's not actually dead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sizone posted:

Yeah, hazy recollections, I seem to recall the King of Vampires being pissed at Constantine for slumming it with a gay prostitute because he (king of vampires) had designs on Constantine's blood and vampires in Hellblazer are, oddly, not immune to AIDS. My only real clear memory of that issue was the line "ohhhh, my ringpiece"

And you haven't even managed to remember that properly.

The King of the Vampires wasn't actually pissed at Constantine at all about the company he was keeping, and all he said about the AIDS was that he could taste it in the blood. He then tried drinking from Constantine and fell foul of the demon blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

John then pissed on him and then caused him to burn

John didn't cause him to burn, the sun came up.

• Locked thread