Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
The vocal bridge is the telltale sign here - this track is legitimate. I definitely think it's a premaster - it's barely compressed and there are a lot of weird peaks, but yeah, this is the song. Kinda wish "THE ROBOTS" were in it a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I think it's really funny that someone called the comedy of everybody hating on yesterday's leak saying it was "so bad it couldn't be Daft Punk." Now they either have to hate the album they've been hyped on for months, or they have to eat their words. "That outro synth is so generic - they'd definitely use analog if it was them." "No way the guy in the verses is Pharrell - he has a different accent." All of these people get a Gold Award in music production knowledge. The end of the discussion should have been the fact that Pharrell's vocals were solo'd over the handclaps - there is no possible way to do that without access to the track.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes! The one I've been waiting for. I goddamn love Paul Williams

I'm so glad they mention Phantom of the Paradise was featured, it is one of my favorite films.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I think someone definitely hit it spot on for me when they said this album sounded very soft compared to their past work.
I don't dislike this album - I think Giorgio, Touch, Doin It Right, Contact, Fragments, etc. are great songs, but if I could have had the masters of filter French house continue their sound, I would have preferred that.
Also, I find the pacing of the A side is terrible and the whole thing is overlong. Game of Love/Giorgio/Within is too slow and kills the energy from the first track. I think something like the below would play better, especially to newer fans/curious people who will stream this and start from Track 1.

1. Contact
2. Get Lucky
3. Doin' It Right
4. Fragments of Time
5. Giorgio by Moroder
6. Game of Love
7. Lose Yourself to Dance
8. Instant Crush
9. Give Life Back to Music
10. Touch

Still a good album, but I can see how people are so divided on it. I think fans of music and musicianship will really enjoy this, fans of Daft Punk (One More Time/Robot Rock/Harder, Faster, Better, Stronger) will not.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

I am not a huge Daft Punk fan and don't really know their typical touring tendencies, but this album has been out for long enough for a tour or at least a live performance to be made. Most bands are doing Letterman or the like BEFORE their album hits. But Daft Punk is different, I suppose.

Also, that Lose Yourself to Dance thing looks exactly like the Get Lucky video. If I was just born yesterday, I'd almost think Daft Punk was a Pharrell side project.

Daft Punk pretty famously only tours once every ten years. They didn't tour for Discovery and did not tour for Human After All until two years after it's release. They don't want to and they don't need to.

That said, Alive 2007 was loving amazing and I'd drive twice as far and pay twice as much to see it again.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

They've said in an interview that they don't want to do live performances of this one. I can't remember the reason they stated.

I think they said that they weren't planning on doing live performances any time soon because they wanted to do something brand new (not Alive 2007 Part 2) and weren't quite sure how to go about it. I personally hope they do a full band tour because that would be incredible.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Huh. So all the people I hear talking about "man I can't wait/hope they tour soon!" (not just on this forum) are talking out of their rear end, then.

Yes. I need to drudge up exact quotes, but I believe the Pitchfork feature elaborate on this the most - the band has no intention of doing music videos or performing live in the near future and only wish to do so when they can think of a presentation they've never done before. I would love for them to tour again and with all their commercial success it is not impossible, but they've only done two tours, Alive 1997 and Alive 2007, so it seems possible that we'll be waiting for Alive 2017.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

You saw Alive 2007 in person? drat. It's definitely one of my favorite albums of all time, I would pay anything to have been there.

When is this happening?

My ticket to the Brooklyn show was $42. I would have easily paid $120 to go, especially now knowing how historic it was. I don't care what they do next, I'll be there. Also, if you pause the HFBS live video at 2:32 you can see the back of my brother and I's heads :)

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
Are there any good social media screenshots of people dissing Daft Punk for taking the album of the year Grammy over T Swift?

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Popcorn posted:

There were rumours it wasn't really them on stage for the Alive 2007 tour, too. Perhaps it wasn't. That possibility is an inevitable part of doing your entire routine in disguise.

I'd like to know what it really looks like from inside the helmets. I can't imagine it's much fun doing a live set wearing one (which is part of why their "live" shows probably aren't that live in reality).

They've posted pictures inside of their set-up - the equipment they used on Alive 2007 is all legit and if you listen to bootlegs of different nights of Alive 2007, you can hear differences. However, due to the nature of the lights/video - the general layout of the show is the same - each song lasts a certain amount of bars/etc. In that context, they can pull from their sample bank to trigger things, use synthesizers they have on stage, control various effects/filters using a Behringer interface, etc.

Thomas gave an interview where he said something to the effect of "Why would I stand in front of 20,000 people for two hours not doing anything? Why would I let anyone else hear the crowd's applause in my place?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
When I got my Alive 2007 shirt in Brooklyn it was $40, but there was no way I wasn't going to buy proof that I saw Daft Punk.

• Locked thread