Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

The Walking Dad posted:

Well if that really is the final radio edit, the vocals are pretty awful to listen to and it is a much less interesting song than it could have been.

Edit: okay maybe that is a bit harsh, it sounds better when I use a better audio setup. Still not sure about the vocals and the lack of a switch up in guitar playing. I thought there would be more to it.

Album version will be different, it's supposed to be around 2 minutes longer I've read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

sonicice posted:

I don't think two more minutes is going to do anything groundbreaking to the song. If someone doesn't like it now, I don't see it changing up all that much. They wouldn't cut more interesting parts of the song out. My guess is the extended cut is just going to be more instrumental and repeating parts that are already in this cut.

Speaking of repeating, I'm going to be having this on repeat for the rest of the day.

a radio edit is one thats more accessible to radio. they could have very well watered it down while shortening it, especially if you consider that two minutes is literally a third of that song. Like for instance there could be an interesting lead in, or a different ending. Alot can happen to a song in two minutes and an edit, Daft Punk or not.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

I, knowing it was probably fake as hell, clicked on a song on my tumblr dash claiming to be "Beyond" from RAM.

It was Strong Bad's "the system is down" techno song.

yo that song slaps

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Got any suggestions? I'm looking to pad my collection.

here's some artists that are good to go from: Justin Faust (his remix of Childish Gambino's Heartbeat is amazing), Broke One, Melee (formerly Melee Beats), LBCK, The Geisha Twins, Treasure Fingers, Ghosts of Venice, Mix Chopin, Russ Chimes, Bit Funk, Fare Soldi, La Zebra, Go Go Bizkitt, His Majesty Andre, and The Phantom's Revenge.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

squarerandom posted:

Bout to drat crash my car buying this and gifting it to my gf too. Stupid LA traffic is already be up in Santa Cruz!!!

You chose a pretty good weekend to come up what with the holiday and all.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

incoherent posted:

e: They were kind of dicks. They let kanye west sample stronger, did a track for pharrell, produced two tracks for kayne, but wouldn't let anco or panda bear do samples.

Why does this make them dicks?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Photex posted:

it's an 11 year old leak..

plus its a rip from a DJ set.

I enjoy it, I think it will be a cool track if it is one.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Lol, Destructo.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I'm pretty pumped for the new Kanye album. 2 Daft Punk songs, HudMo now signed to Kanye's label, dark Kanye. Sounds legit.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Holy poo poo Contact owns as an intro.

gently caress this is rad as hell.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

The Dave posted:

You might be listening to it backwards, Contact is the last track.

just pressed play all on grooveshark. welp v:shobon:v

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, the more I think about this album the more I realize that the problem isn't that it's a "terrible" album, it's that I've heard the style of music on this album done so much better already. I'm a johnny-come-lately when it comes to Daft Punk, and I've only really started listening to them within the last couple of years, but I've heard so many albums influenced by them by now that when I hear Random Access Memories it actually sounds like knock-off of other Daft Punk-inspired bands.

Justice is now a better Daft Punk than Daft Punk is. I guess what I'm saying is that Guy-Manuel and Thomas should surrender their robot helmets to the dudes from Justice, and Justice should just be Daft Punk from here on out.

Because Justice produced a follow up album that didn't disappoint like half of the people that listened to it :jerkbag:

Cleretic posted:

I just want to weigh in on the subject of Justice as 'the new Daft Punk' or whatever, since I only heard about them this year, when I made a Daft Punk Pandora station and they were thrown up at me with as much frequency as Deadmau5.

I appreciate them, but in no way are they 'the new Daft Punk', or the any Daft Punk. Maybe I'm getting a biased sampling, because that station really likes throwing Phantom Pt. II and especially D.A.N.C.E. at me, but it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for, I know them for the softer material that composed a fair amount of Discovery, most of what I've heard from Homework, and the entirety of Random Access Memories.

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

Have you listened to Human After All?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Fragments of Time annoys me because it sounds too much like the Chromeo/Ezra Koenig song off Business Casual.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
That song got played out by my group of friends v:shobon:v

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I gotta admit, The Guradian's review, particularly the fourth and fifth paragraph nailed my criticism's of the album perfectly. Especially this part:

The Guardian posted:

Occasionally Random Access Memories is marked by the sense that Daft Punk have become so immersed in the process of making music they've lost sight of the result. At its least interesting, on the instrumental Motherboard or the Air-like Within, it feels as if you're in the presence of something slightly vapid, that it's all varnish and no substance. Listening to the ballad The Game of Love feels a little like leafing through one of those interior design magazines packed with photos of hugely expensive houses that don't appear to have been lived in: you gawp at the good taste on display, but struggle to find an emotional connection with it.

Edit:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah they need to lock Nile Rodgers down. Give him his own helmet or something. His little popping run on the riff at the very front of Get Lucky is so loving cool.

You listen to all of the Chic stuff right?

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 17, 2013

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Modest Mike posted:

I agree. There is more music out there than just house and/or top 40 songs which I think is more where that comparison point should be aimed at. If you say that Daft Punk are the only real physical instrument manipulators of today within the context of all the music being produced you are insane. Anyways after attempting to come around to this album a fair amount in the last week ill admit it has grown on me a bit but I still think touch is a little stupid and fragments of time is honestly just a horrible horrible song.

Why should the comparison point be outside of dance music?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I'm not surprised at all.

These two mixes remind me of having a 7" and a 12" version. Something that Chic excels at.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Some dude won a contest to get a tour inside the three studios in LA that Daft Punk recorded in. Now he's making videos of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6Lb4rTGVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I still wish somebody would decide 'hey, Discovery was great, let's make that again'.

lol. You mean like all of the people making disco house and nu disco sounding stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8kDqVeu1o

• Locked thread