Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Is there a way for me to hear this album without iTunes? Because I don't like iTunes.

After hearing all of what people here are saying, I'm looking forward to it even more because people are comparing it to my favorite parts of Discovery: The stuff like One More Time, Something About Us, and Face to Face. I kept saying to one of my friends that literally all I want out of a new Daft Punk album is music like that, and he kept saying that wasn't gonna happen, but it sounds like it did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm pretty much the least musically inclined person ever (the majority of the albums I own consist of what I'm pretty sure are the Australian government-mandated INXS and AC/DC albums), so someone remind me. Is Pitchfork considered decent in any way? I'm not sure how to read this discussion of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, actually got the chance to listen to this album now, and it is not what I expected, but exactly what I wanted. It does feel like an album I have to sit down and listen to in full, though; while I have no problem with this, it's gonna make it hard to incorporate it into the music I listen to. I mean, Giorgio by Moroder is great, but it's going to be hard to get into when it starts with what sounds like an interview from a documentary about the birth of electronic music and you're not already into the groove.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I just want to weigh in on the subject of Justice as 'the new Daft Punk' or whatever, since I only heard about them this year, when I made a Daft Punk Pandora station and they were thrown up at me with as much frequency as Deadmau5.

I appreciate them, but in no way are they 'the new Daft Punk', or the any Daft Punk. Maybe I'm getting a biased sampling, because that station really likes throwing Phantom Pt. II and especially D.A.N.C.E. at me, but it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for, I know them for the softer material that composed a fair amount of Discovery, most of what I've heard from Homework, and the entirety of Random Access Memories.

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Farm Frenzy posted:

Pitchfork has hyped, done obviously payed for features, then dropped artists before. See: Lana Del Ray last year and MIA the year before.

They don't like Lana Del Ray either? Good to know I can ignore their obviously wrong opinions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I seem to be in the minority in liking Touch, although I admit I don't like it in the same way as most Daft Punk songs and most of this album. It feels more like a rock opera, and it wouldn't sound out of place with Queen, or maybe similar-era David Bowie.

The weak track to me is probably Giorgio by Moroder, but even I'll admit that's good. It's just a very disconnected song that feels out of place no matter what context you put it in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Get Lucky is up to No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. Does anyone think they can hit Number 1, or is this just a pipe dream?

I don't know what the US charts looks like right now, but I don't recall Get Lucky really competing with anything. Timberlake, maybe? I'm gonna say it climbing higher in the charts is possible, but #1's a bit of an outside chance. I'm pretty sure it's losing in the charts to Rhianna and Pink here in Australia, but I also think it's now legislative law that at least three songs from those two get played every hour in Australia.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, Get Lucky can climb up to... at the very most 6 or 7, more likely 8, before it starts running into songs it literally can't knock off the charts.

Seriously, Can't Hold Us is still in the charts? It's still number one?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ronald Nixon posted:

This album wasn't what I was expecting from Daft Punk, but I am glad it is from them because I'd never have listened to such music otherwise, and I really enjoy it. It's a very interesting (as in, it offers a lot of different things for the ears) album when considered as a whole journey tracks 01-13.

Thanks robo-dudes!

When I think about it, I feel like Daft Punk has a specific 'job' in the music industry: to introduce people to music they never would have listened to otherwise, by presenting the mainstream with a type of music that's completely unlike their usual. I sure as hell know that I wouldn't be nearly as into house/EDM, or at least wouldn't have gotten into it as early as I did, if it weren't for Cartoon Network playing the music video for One More Time for reasons that still escape me.

Now though, things have flipped around a bit. Electronic music the likes of which Daft Punk have produced their whole career is mainstream, with YouTube spreading it far and wide, and goddamn Skrillex playing on a 'hits of the past and present' station right after Guns and Roses (now that was a weird day). So now, faced with an environment that's nearly the complete polar opposite of what they started in, Daft Punk... take up the same role, just in the opposite direction. Forcing us all to listen to music made with real equipment and instruments, and real people behind it.

Or maybe I'm making poo poo up, I can never tell the difference.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Modest Mike posted:

I agree. There is more music out there than just house and/or top 40 songs which I think is more where that comparison point should be aimed at. If you say that Daft Punk are the only real physical instrument manipulators of today within the context of all the music being produced you are insane.

Oh, I fully agree, I think I just explained it a bit poorly. In my mind Daft Punk's job used to be 'hey you majority of people listening to pop and rock, there's this awesome genre called house, here's what it sounds like, I hope you like it'.

RAM has a different direction and a different audience, but their role remains the same: 'hey you people listening to club music and dubstep, here are these great sounds made with real instuments that your favorite music has its roots in, I hope you like it'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So do you guys like Get Lucky?

Do you like orchestral, scherzo trio versions of Get Lucky?

Walt Ribiero's done more Daft Punk covers than he has of any other artist, and they're all pretty great. Personally my favorite is Harder Better Faster Stronger, it absolutely nails the feel of the song.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

-Inu- posted:

This really reminds me of some of the music from Banjo-Kazooie, oddly enough.

Now that you mention it, I can hear that. It uses a lot of the same elements that were used in Rare's more industrial level themes (Rusty Bucket Bay, Grunty Industries, Frantic Factory from DK64).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The sort of weird 'nostalgic' feel of the album is one of my favorite parts of it, because it almost doesn't feel like a 'new' album, instead more a collection of really good music that I just haven't, by fate, heard before.

I think a big part of my enjoyment of the album is that it happens to suit my childhood music experience almost exactly. I was a kid in the late 90s and early 00s, and my entire musical knowledge at that time was a weird combination of the disco that my parents loved and would play for us a lot, the electro-pop and eurodance that was having its moment in the spotlight at that time, and the Michael Jackson-style pop music that hadn't yet left the airwaves. Fit the alternative rock field that R.E.M. was a part of in there somehow and RAM encompasses my entire musical experience until somewhere around 2006.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I realize it's sacrelidge to say this here, but the most skippable track to me (I won't say 'worst', because they're all great) is Beyond. I mean, I can appreciate it, but it just doesn't interest me like the rest of the album does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It might be a bit of a selfish reason to be following the charts, but for me at least part of it is validation. Not validation that liking Daft Punk is 'right', the other way around; seeing the charts open up and accept one of my favorite artists makes me a little, tiny bit less ashamed of listening to top 40 radio.

Currently, popular music actually pretty well agrees with me. There's still a bit too much R&B (okay, pretty much just Rhianna), I think Mackelmore's music is awful, and Australia's Pink infatuation is flaring up again, but other than that I'm sitting quite pretty. American country has currently left the airwaves, reality TV products have gone quiet, electronic music's settling into a good groove, there's a lot of indie rock-pop coming out from Britain especially, and those two genres are meeting up with pleasant frequency. Then from the genres that aren't entirely my thing, you've still got good talent making good music and that's generally enjoyable even if you don't like the genre.

Even given all of that, it's still a little difficult to keep face while saying you listen to and enjoy top 40 radio, especially in Australia where I'm fairly sure it's treason to not listen to AC/DC or Jimmy Barnes on a regular basis. With Daft Punk holding a chart spot, though, it's a lot easier.

So yeah, selfish reasons, and I'm being petty and self-conscious, but there you go. Currently the charts are 'mine', Daft Punk is a symbol of that, and given how long I've had to suffer through them being music that isn't 'mine', I'm inclined to enjoy it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 14, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I am OK posted:

Why do you care about saving face? Who gives a gently caress what some random yahoo thinks of your taste? What's this talk of 'suffering'? I don't get it at all.

And American country music loving rules.

I don't care for long, but it happens sometimes and it's a bit more bearable when I can point to something like Daft Punk. I can't really defend that, because I know I'm still being a bit petty, but that's how my brain's working with this.

And I have nothing really against American country music, it's just really not my thing. Also keep in mind that outside of America, Taylor Swift and her ilk is what constitutes our entire experience with American country music. When it turns up, I get scared, and when it plays, it hurts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Colonel Whitey posted:

That is the concept of a certain type of harmony, but no, that does not apply to all harmony, and what he is saying is not bad advice for a composer at all.

Yeah, I'm far from a music guy, but I definitely heard that bit as breaking free of the shackles of 'known' music. It's the sort of thing he was talking about in his collaborators video with regards to the first time he encountered a synthesizer; he wasn't particularly impressed because the guy was using it to emulate 'real' instruments, and he knew that it could do so much more if they didn't stick to what 'already works'.

I think what he's saying is, if you want to make something 'new' or use new tools, those rules you've learned don't necessarily apply. He's not saying 'don't make music that sounds good', he's saying 'don't blindly stick to the tools you know'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I am totally on board with Instant Crush being the new single, because it's probably tied with Contact as my favorite song off the album. And out of those two Instant Crush definitely gets more 'legitimate' love, while I mostly like Contact as a concept (the 'concept' I am assuming is 'just KEEP GOING until it breaks! MORE POWER!').

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 6, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

xie posted:

I'm sorry the band didn't just churn out more of the same. It's not a flawless album, but they made no promises that it would be that, and told you very early on that it wasn't an electronica album. It seems like you want Daft Punk 4: Ghosts or something.

honestly, while I love RAM, part of me is disappointed that it wasn't electronica, because if I consider the music that comes up when you plug Daft Punk into Pandora their contemporaries, Daft Punk is the best at it, and producing a quality, different sound through it. Deadmau5's songs all last about six minutes too long, I can't distinguish between most of the Glitch Mob's music, Justice's stuff is far too constantly hard-edged, and any others don't seem to have more than one or two songs.

I suppose the latest incarnations would be the likes of Calvin Harris and Avicii, and I can appreciate their stuff to an extent, but I still wish somebody would decide 'hey, Discovery was great, let's make that again'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Fresh Prince posted:

lol. You mean like all of the people making disco house and nu disco sounding stuff?

Not stuff that's reached me, sadly. I'll have to look it up myself sometime. But I'm not sure stuff like Aerodynamic and Harder Better Faster Stronger fit in that category.

In other, more interesting news, the Instant Crush video just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5uQMwRMHcs

I actually really like it. Works very well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

an skeleton posted:

I think the Instant Crush video was pretty great

Julian Casablancas dances like me, so I literally cannot hate it.

I knew Daft Punk were going to turn up somehow, so when their cameo did happen my reflexive response collided with the actual perception of things. "Yeah--oh, wait..."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I didn't even notice them in the video. Could I have been that bored?

It's pretty quick, easy to miss if you're not watching. There's a shot of their helmets, covered in dust on a shelf, in the storeroom just before the fire. It's right after the guitar solo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Anaranjado posted:

Anyway I was hoping for a Doing it Right video, but Instant Crush is cool too.

If they're doing four singles for the album, there's still a chance. Doing it Right seems like one of the most likely if they do, since not many of the songs left are very good as singles; there's basically just Doing it Right, Fragments of Time and maybe Beyond.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Can someone summarise what just happened? I'm too busy being in Australia to watch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

-Inu- posted:

I think the Grammys are a sham but it's still cool to see these duders in the spotlight getting some serious mainstream recognition. Even if it's only because they're deep in bed with Columbia.

The Grammies don't matter, but it only takes us a few hours every year to pretend they do, so when stuff like this happens it's a pretty good investment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zedd posted:

So why is there this giant thing going on on the net that DP was in the audience the entire time and they used bodydoubles to accept awards? I thought it was pretty clear those two guys they mean are their friends/colleges that have been with them from the start.
Are people dumb, or am I dumb?

Daft Punk is weird, it's not really well-known what they actually look like, and I guess people didn't think anyone would honestly turn up to the Grammys in full costume and say absolutely nothing even when accepting their awards. So, conspiracy theories abound.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HorseRenoir posted:

A new outtake from RAM just leaked, featuring Jay-Z on vocals and Kanye on production: http://www.fakeshoredrive.com/2014/03/daft-punk-jay-z-computerized-prod-kanye-west.html/

I don't care if this isn't from RAM, this is amazing. It's like Stronger Mk. 2, and I loved Stronger.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BrokenKnees posted:

I love that the song about a new digital future has a man singing about his blackberry.

Best guess is that it was recorded around the Tron Legacy era. Which would be around the mark with the technology being namedropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Just a quick search sees Contact being the most popular song for AMVs from the album.

I also unfortunately saw that someone put One More Time to Princess 69 :gonk:

I absolutely love Contact, but I'm not sure how you'd do an AMV to it. Surely the last minute or so of the song essentially breaking itself is hard to find clips for.

• Locked thread