Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

AwwJeah posted:

The hell is "we robbed a mexican monkey" supposed to mean? gently caress you Pharrell, you hack.

"We like eating souvlaki."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Amazon uses PST or something? The hell?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Weird, I was refreshing and it wouldn't show as available, but I reloaded it and was able to get it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bows1 posted:

The excitement for this album has me listening to all the albums again over and over. Alive 2007 still murders. Im sitting at my desk at work just dancing, so sad I missed the tour :(

Yeah I recently listened all of the albums again, which I hadn't done in some time. Alive and Discovery are still tied for my favorites.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jmBbG4T6c

Panda bear collab is up.

Where the hell did they get video of their show at the hollywood bowl? I want that.

e: They were kind of dicks. They let kanye west sample stronger, did a track for pharrell, produced two tracks for kayne, but wouldn't let anco or panda bear do samples.

I'm confused. The impression that I got wasn't that he was asking to sample their stuff. It's hard to understand but he says because he words it kind of weird:

"We really wanted to do a remix of one of the* songs, and we really wanted them to do one."

This makes me think he wanted them to do a remix of one of his songs? The other way around doesn't make sense because there have been plenty of remixes of Daft Punk songs by other people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I kind of wish they had teased each track similarly because these teases and little leaks have provided the context that give songs staying power with me. Going into an album blind rarely works for me and ends up having me needing to take a very long time to warm up to certain tracks. I got Discovery when it came out and I don't think I ended up falling in love with the album until I saw the full animated film a few years later. Likewise, I didn't really fall in love with Human After All or Homework until after I had heard Alive 2007.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think what happened for a lot of people, including myself to some degree, is that we were expecting Alive + Tron + Discovery for the most part, and the release of Get Lucky and leaks of Doin it Right and Contact kind of fed into that expectation, but what we got was a pretty chill album that is a much bigger departure than most people expected. I know for myself, I was hyped on the idea of Daft Punk following up Discovery with an album that did not rely on samples of previous songs, giving them more freedom than they had before. We sort of got that, but I only wish the album was less Something About Us and more Superheroes, Aerodynamic, and Too Long.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

El Seano posted:

You just introduced me to a sickening amount of great music, thank you!

I find the split in opinion over fragments of time really odd, I thought it was a high point, almost like their new era Digital Love, all happy and vocoder heavy.

Fragments is my least favorite song on the album because the backing music by Daft Punk sounds like a track from a cheap Karaoke CD at times. Digital Love has a much more powerful sound to it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Muck and Mire posted:

Haha I love that quote about the Stardust track, like they got out of the studio and realized it was the best French house track ever and abandoned the project immediately

I laughed my rear end off at that. I always wondered why there was never any more and was very pleasantly surprised to see it pop up on the Alive 2007 album.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I feel like people who say "DP shouldn't have to make the same thing over and over" are really missing the point of a lot of the complaints. The problem is that Daft Punk never really does the same thing over and over, and a bunch of people were hyped on the idea of them returning to a style that worked ridiculously well (Discovery), and expanding it on it with live instrumentation and original compositions.

It feels like sometimes people are implying that Daft Punk has released multiple samey albums over the past 2 decades and that RAM is a sudden, welcome breath of fresh air. That's not really true.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Where did anyone read this album was going to be a return to the style of Discovery? Literally everything I read said it wasn't going to sound like old Daft Punk albums. If I get hyped for something I tend to read about that subject.

It's not so much that it would sound exactly like Discovery, but that it would be similar. This was mostly due to the teasers and leaks. People were expecting more Discovery and less Human After All, but I think they got caught off guard by the pretty chill album they got instead. And most people I know who were excited about the album weren't really reading about it, or at least, never mentioned any interviews or articles outside of the collaborator videos.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I love this. It should have been on the album proper... Hell if most of the album were like this...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well this is...slow. And almost ambient. :confused:

And I don't think it would have fit the flow of the album at all, so I can see why it's a bonus track.

I like it, don't get me wrong, but if people thought Random Access Memories didn't sound like normal Daft Punk material, this sounds even less like them.

This is less of a departure from some tracks on Discovery (mostly Nightvision) than several other tracks on this album.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well this is just freaking perfect. I wonder how well this teases possible Alive-esque remixes of the actual tracks.

Edit: Also chalk me up as someone who is really starting to warm up to the album after multiple listens. I've had Instant Crush stuck in my head for a few days now and it was far from one of my favorites on my first couple of listens. The Todd Edwards remix really opened that track up for me. I'm liking Lose Yourself even more the more I hear it. Still not a fan of Fragments though. It really is like the only track besides maybe Game of Love and Within that I struggle with. I feel like this little video has kind of shown me that the melodies within these songs could probably be put to use in something I'd like more though.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 25, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mutata posted:

That reminds me, Neatorama has that Peanuts/Charlie Brown-style Daft Punk shirt available now:

http://www.neatoshop.com/product/Daft-Nuts

There is no time limit on these?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I can't help but think that this album would have been better if they exchanged some of the male guest artists for women.
It's just something about female vocals that suits this type of music better than falsetto-singing men.

I'm thinking about it now and holy poo poo are you right. :ughh:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This would have been awesome if it were an extended version of the song where they kind of jammed out for the extra added time and played with the melody and stuff, but what we got instead seems like a stretched out version of the album track with really shoddily "remixed" vocals, where "remixed" means sloppily chopped up and mix around a bit.

I guess its fine for a club that was playing the original version, since now they can keep people going for 10 minutes, instead of six, and at a club you probably don't care as much about anything else...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mahoning posted:

You really think this album is selling well because of marketing? I'm sorry but the album is just fun and more accessible to the general public, it has nothing to do with marketing.

Yes, the more accessible album is also much more marketable, hence all the Pharrell commercials. It was a relatively heavily marketed album (for Daft Punk.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

What is the song that bookends the video?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Feenix posted:

I guess? My point was it maybe stepped over the line of that goal. A little too far.

That's funny because if you look back, that is basically what a lot of people complained about with the album in general. I personally liked the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

somnambulist posted:

am i the only one that liked the instant crush video? it's a mid-tempo song, I wasn't expecting flashy dancing so Julians parts werent exactly off to me, and I liked the story.

Yeah I dug the story too. I thought it was a pretty good music video. Casablancas was being his usual weird self but that doesn't really surprise me so I guess that is why it didn't bother me.

• Locked thread