Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boywunda posted:

The sounds in this track just scream Daft Punk.

actually the sounds in this track just scream Giorgio Moroder, if I heard this and someone told me it was an unreleased Moroder track I would've said "yup, sounds about right" and probably enjoyed it for some head bobbing but not thought much more of it.

The track's plenty enjoyable and I don't doubt that it's legit but nothing about this screams Daft Punk to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Boywunda posted:

Call me naive, but I'm not very familiar with Moroder, or if I am, not aware that it is Moroder. To me, the slow downs, tempo changes, cross fade in and out...that's what I'm referring to when I say "screams Daft Punk".

Yeah, I suppose the filter sweeps are certainly "Daft-Punky" but it sounds more like Moroder's stuff to me than Daft Punk, guess I should probably give it a few more listens.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Dave posted:

I like it I just don't love it. Mark me down as one of the many expecting a lot of mind blowing remixes from this.

this is where I'm at after first listen. I respect it as an album and as a creative expression, I feel like the second half of the album is much stronger than the first half and I'm anxiously anticipating all of the remixes to come out of it.

It wasn't the immediate scorcher that I was hoping it would be but I'm okay with that. The first 5 or so tracks definitely had me considering canceling my pre-order of the vinyl though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CannedMacabre posted:

Love the 80's Doobies feel of Fragments of Time.

I loving love the album in a completely different way than the previous albums. Maybe I'm getting old in just the right way for these kinds of tracks. Adult Soft Rock Robots are okay with me.

I was thinking the exact same thing on my second listen. I was like... ohay, Italo, Soft Rock, & Disco are exactly what I've been listening to the past couple of years, just funny to see Daft Punk go and do this in such a grandiose way.

It'll be odd if they bring about another resurgence in the popularity of yacht rock & adult contemporary music w/ this album.

The guitar riff & bass line from Beyond might as well be lifted from an alternate version of "I Keep Forgettin' "

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 14, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cleretic posted:

...it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for...

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

uhhh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEYnXd5VkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWLi9TROtE

there you go, welcome to Daft Punk punching you in the face circa 2005

and here's one from 1997 for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZD_ItaEuU

The Fresh Prince posted:

Have you listened to Human After All?

this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
not quite daft punk but related for anyone who hasn't heard this yet.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/giorgio-moroder/74-is-the-new-24/SEX061400002

• Locked thread