Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Waffleman_ posted:

So something strange and amazing happens when you pitch shift Get Lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkCn-iWLiSE

This is insanely cool. I would've loved to see what Daft Punk would've done with MJ, especially around the time of Invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

somnambulist posted:

I dont think this is considered :filez:

Someone made a "studio recording" of Alive 2007. It is pretty badass. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KfnbpVTCU

Don't listen to the youtube one though, download it using that link. The quality is infinitely better.

edit:

drat, there are some details in the tracks I never picked up before, this is so cool!

Man it's weird to hear it without the crowd noise. Kinda unsettling.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Same here.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh my

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://soundisstyle.com/2013/05/daft-punk-giorgio-by-moroder-leak.html has the leak too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBs3mLwkuU

I really, really like this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

What do you all mean by streaming on itunes?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Do you have to preorder to hear the itunes stream?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hopefully its not "levels" again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

This album is so rad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Holy poo poo the drums in Giorgio.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I know a lot of people didn't like it much at all when it first came out, then said Alive 2007 made then reconsider what they thought about it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The song I keep going back to is "Touch", surprisingly. It's really grown on me since I heard it for the first time yesterday.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

AwwJeah posted:

I totally cannot wait to see if I can get my parents into a Daft Punk record :3:

I was thinking that too, my dad is a huge ELO and Steely Dan fan, I think I can get him into this.

Also got to finally listen to the whole album through in a sitting, and yep- "Touch" is my favorite song. The thought that the guy who wrote "Rainbow Connection" is on an album with a couple of French guys who dress up like robots just makes me smile every time I hear it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Touch's line "You almost convinced me I'm real" may be my favorite part of the album. The edge given to it is just fuckin perfect.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Man, this reminds me of the last paragraph of their 6.4 review of Discovery.

quote:

Prog and disco have never openly begged for their own hybrid, but the genres' newborn Frankenbaby is alive, whether we like it or not. Still, this beast, however grotesque, is relatively harmless-- rather than running amok in the village and snapping the necks of civilians, it only wants to "celebrate and dance so free, one more time." Just don't let it sing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Touch is my favorite song on the album. I love it, and I think Paul Williams did a fantastic job singing on it. I'm surprised so many people think it's the low point of the album.

I listened to "Contact" on full blast driving to work today though and loved it. The range of it is really impressive to me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

"In one week, "Random Access Memories" will have sold more to date than Daft Punk's last studio release, "Human After All.” The latter, released in 2005, has shifted just 125,000 in the United States."

Holy crap.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

That soul train footage was fantastic. I'd love to see more, from Midnight Special or other music shows back then.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Shampy posted:

What the hell? What's the story behind this?

They're doing F1 promotional stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I guess I'm in the minority, Touch is my favorite song on the album.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Bown posted:

I think Williams' vocal performance on Touch is fantastic mostly because it's so operatic and schmaltzy. I think if there's any song from this album that's gonna be seen as a masterpiece a decade or so from now it's that one.

I seriously believe it.

I don't know, for me it's the ending of Touch that gets me. When he sings "you almost convinced me I'm real", it really just hits home.

For me, "Beyond" has become the song I skip the most. But then "Contact" has grown on me in a huge way since the album dropped, so maybe I'll come around to it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I like it, it's a cool long jam. I was expecting something more like Alive 1997/2007 but I'll take a cool 10 min remix.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Perfidus posted:

Yeah I'm with you. I'll pay any price to see these guys. Been a huge fan since '97. I kick myself for missing Alive too.

I was at the Brooklyn Alive 2007 show, and it was pretty much the best show possible. Just rad as gently caress in every way.

Seeing Daft Punk with Stevie Wonder blew my mind. Only thing that could have made it better was if they had the helmets from Interstella 9999

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Anyone have the full video of Paul William's speech? CBS has a cut version of it online. :(

incoherent posted:

So this means panda bear got an award as well?

Yeah, he's listed in the award for best album, so he gets one too.

edit: Who was the drummer for the performance tonight? Dude was awesome.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 27, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRINDY posted:

it was goddamn Stevie Wonder and goddamn Daft Punk with Pharrell and goddamn Nile Rodgers

This is pretty much my sentiment about the live performance. I'd love to see them bring Stevie Wonder in for one of their remixes, honestly. Dude owns so hard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2blLBa8TzI

Here it is again. I like it!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, it sounds like all the "leaks" from the Tron Legacy soundtrack. This is alright to listen to though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nile Rodgers just posted that on facebook saying the audio was out of sync. It's so much better watching this version of the video, rather than seeing 500% more awkward white people dancing from the taping.

Also it makes me sad as hell they're not doing a tour for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsa4ogtBiv0&t=12s

• Locked thread