Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

I always wear a watch already anyways, and I don't like pulling my phone out at work. Is purchasing a pebble still A Dumb Idea? Or is it solid enough that I won't be upset by using mostly for just time and notifications?

I loving love mine for time, notifications, and most importantly music control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Honestly Facebook and Gmail notifications, time, the alarm, and pausing/resuming podcasts are about all I've been using mine for and it's been pretty great so far.

Although I did set up one of the 3rd-party notification things to send notifications from Google Maps and use it to find a couple of places when I was walking around the other day and while getting updates every few meters/every time the GPS resyncs was a little bit of a pain in the rear end, it was also actually pretty handy.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

IuniusBrutus posted:

I always wear a watch already anyways, and I don't like pulling my phone out at work. Is purchasing a pebble still A Dumb Idea? Or is it solid enough that I won't be upset by using mostly for just time and notifications?

If what you want the pebble for is time and notifications, then you will be 100% satisfied with it. It's only other people (such as myself) who were sold on the whole "app store for your watch" stuff that are a bit let down with the thing.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Awesome - what's the wait time looking for non-kickstarter orders for a black one? They seem...apprehensive...to give any firm timetable.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Awesome - what's the wait time looking for non-kickstarter orders for a black one? They seem...apprehensive...to give any firm timetable.

I am pulling this completely out of my rear end but I'd say 2-3+ months. They haven't even finished shipping all of the kickstarter editions. Pebble also has gotten a lot of press so I'm sure its gotten a lot of preorders since then.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'd say, given how they've handled things so far, you'd be safest assuming no more specific than "before the end of 2013." But even that much I wouldn't be too confident about.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

They're on their last new color production (white) and within the next two weeks will probably have satisfied all Kickstarter stuff. Soon after that the preorders will start to get shipping notices.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Long shot, but have any of you guys tried developing an app for the watch?

I did briefly, and my general impression is that it's an absolute mess. I'm seriously impressed by the few people who have managed to stick it out long enough to get anything other than a simple watchface working. There's no debugger, no simulator. You have to recompile, redeploy, and manually reinstall the app to your watch (via clicking an .apk link on a local webserver) every time you want to test. Plus, there's no basic services provided by the Pebble app on your phone, so if you need any sort of communications with features on your phone or the cloud you need to roll your own iOS and Android app on top of that. There's a generic "httpebble" library and matching app that lets you do a very limited set of JSON calls, but trying to bridge between that and other services is sort of impossible. The whole thing has a long way to go before anyone other than seriously hardcore "i love a challenge" types will do anything with it, let alone anything that's really new or otherwise not obvious (ie: not a timer, stopwatch, time & temp display, etc...)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kuskus posted:

They're on their last new color production (white) and within the next two weeks will probably have satisfied all Kickstarter stuff. Soon after that the preorders will start to get shipping notices.
Going by comments on the Kickstarter page, they've got to finish shipping out the "switch to black" ones first too, the ones that were supposed to have shipped weeks ago. Even having received my red watch, my position on their production and shipping of anything remains "believe it when you see it and not a second before."

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Welp, I wanted a black one anyways, so I put a pre-order in. Maybe I'll get it before I get too impatient and pay double. :smithicide:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It's a cool device, but it's not worth 2x the retail price. Stay strong or you're going to wind up with a serious case of buyer's remorse.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pebble still feels huge. Anyone know how to get a bigger wrist, besides getting fatter?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 7, 2013

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat
According to Reddit, black preorders have started arriving today.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I hope the mobile app adds a watch face tile gallery with more than 8 slots. There's very little reason, since you can only hold 8 faces on the watch, why you shouldn't just be able to store the others in the Pebble mobile app and highlight the ones that are "enabled" and sync. Rather than me just storing the others in the downloads of another browser app until I'm ready to juggle them to the middleman Pebble app, deleting others to store new ones. That's overly tedious.

I'm also hoping there will be better notification support in iOS announced on Monday for satellite devices. Re-enabling notifications for every third party app every time I connect the Pebble is really the only thing I don't like about it.

They're going so slow with dev ease and getting their product to market that other products will replace it before it gets more useful than it is now. I'm sure by this time next year there will be clones from Casio/Sanyo/Coby for $99. And this will be seen as an early adopter's watch with a dead soldered battery. Fingers crossed that this isn't the case.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
My pre-order, from back in August, just shipped out. Please don't tell me it's poo poo.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait a loving second, they haven't even finished making for or shipping to backers yet and they're already shipping later pre-orders? Jesus Christ, is there any aspect of this whole project they can't manage to screw up in some fashion?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

No no you don't understand, it's a different color

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

xamphear posted:

Long shot, but have any of you guys tried developing an app for the watch?
I just followed this guy's tutorial of how to locally make and build a WWDC 13 countdown watch face "app". If any of you want to install the one I compiled, it's here. It's useless unless you're an Apple fan boy about to wet yourself about Monday's news.

The tutorial is hilarious because you spend an hour googling why your local $PATH & ./profile may or may not be in sync (answer: for 10.7 & 10.8 I needed to modify /private/etc/paths), or why GCC is barfing (because I didn't un-tar things using the command line)... and then once you get to the end he says "I'm not going to explain my code." But it's a fun start!

SyRauk posted:

My pre-order, from back in August, just shipped out. Please don't tell me it's poo poo.
I love my Pebble. If and when the batt dies I'll break out the soldering iron and fix it.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Mine died in two weeks and it took a month for support to respond...

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Wow, back of my Pebble says Kickstarter Edition.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

SyRauk posted:

Wow, back of my Pebble says Kickstarter Edition.

I can almost taste the rage of backers who haven't even got theirs yet (assuming you're a pre-orderer and not a backer).

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

WastedJoker posted:

I can almost taste the rage of backers who haven't even got theirs yet (assuming you're a pre-orderer and not a backer).

Yeah, pre-order. I almost feel a little bit guilty but we were supposed to get ours back in March.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Yep, I did a pre-order last June, got my red one today and it definitely says "Kickstarter Edition".

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I preordered mine back in late April, and it's the red one as well. I'm guessing I can expect it by 2015.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I just bought a Cherry Red Kickstarter Pebble off eBay for £165.

I regret nothing.

I'll still buy my pre-order in $ then sell it on eBay £ and probably come out even.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SyRauk posted:

Yeah, pre-order. I almost feel a little bit guilty but we were supposed to get ours back in March.

:argh: My Orange just shipped out today, and I backed on Day One!

A couple of links that are kind of buried in the OP:

My Pebble Faces
A user-made "watch app store". All of them are free, and there is also a selection of concept watches in case you want to develop a watchface but are not sure what kind.

Watchface Generator
It is what it says. You can upload an image and make your own digital or analog (new!) watchfaces. I used it to make this watchface based off of this watch.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ah Pebble, such a neat product, such a clusterfuck of a business.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I made a simple and crude Daft Punk (Guy Helmet) watchface.

http://www.watchface-generator.de/watchfaces/20130608/daftpunk/

I want to make a better version but the tools available on that site aren't that great.

edit: Someone on reddit used the watchface maker and a QR code (leave a small border around it) to scan their movie tickets/Starbucks card/etc. Thought that was a pretty good idea to share here. I wish I were more gifted in programming (the extent of my coding knowledge comes from that Jonathan Coulton song) because I have some ideas as well.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 8, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

My Pebble arrives tomorrow.

No idea what I'm gonna do with it but I'm gonna take it to work with me and impress my dumb friends with it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

It arrived

Got it setup for notifications easily enough and have installed the httpebble/pebble apps for apps/faces.

Really do not like the strap so I'm gonna go on eBay and look for nice replacement straps.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

For me the band is fine, I'm just puzzled about why the body is so big.

Going wider to compensate seems like the wrong idea and approaches industrial/goth cuff or club or something, which is fine if you're about that.
I haven't seen a better solution than leaving it stock; if you have, please post it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

kuskus posted:

For me the band is fine, I'm just puzzled about why the body is so big.

Going wider to compensate seems like the wrong idea and approaches industrial/goth cuff or club or something, which is fine if you're about that.
I haven't seen a better solution than leaving it stock; if you have, please post it.

I think most of that is for the waterproofing. I just got mine today, and it's about as big as my wrist. I have tiny wrists. :v:

I had a huge bookmarked folder of replacement bands I was going to look at when I got it, but now I can't find it. :( I was thinking something with a light orange accent, or one of those black metal bands.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kazy posted:

or one of those black metal bands.
You mean the segmented retractable ones? Here's a page of them.
They seem to have a lot of orange bands here Who knows what kind of orange it is, though.

Prices seem pretty salty. Just gotta find the Amazon equivalents.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
For those of you that received yours, what's the communication like leading up to delivery? Did you all get emails/tracking numbers etc. or did it just show up one day?

I basically willed myself to forget about mine for the past year, but I'm starting to get antsy lately.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I preordered in January.

Then, I got impatient and bought one off ebay.

I got this email today.

pebble email posted:

Great news! Pebble pre-orders have started shipping!
The first batch of Pebble pre-orders began shipping to our earliest pre-order customers last week and we'll continue shipping as quickly as we can.

What does that mean for your pre-order?
As inventory becomes available, we'll email the next pre-orders in line to confirm order details including order quantity, color selection and shipping address. Since we did not collect payment at the time your pre-order was placed, you'll also be able to submit payment for your order.

Once your order is confirmed, you will be able to track the fulfillment process.

If you decide you no longer want your Pebble, no action is required. Simply disregard this email.

We expect that it will take several months through the summer to deliver Pebbles to all pre-order customers. If you don't get your order confirmation email from us right away, don't worry! You will hear from us when your Pebble is ready to ship.

We want to get Pebble on your wrist as fast as we can! Tons of amazing watchapps have already been created and Pebble just keeps getting better.

RunKeeper, the popular fitness app, is now available for Pebble so you can track time, pace and distance right on your wrist.

And the challenging 7-minute workout by Alex Kennberg is also now available for Pebble.

Golfers can use the FreeCaddie range finder with Pebble to gauge distance to the hole at over 28,000 courses.

Tap into what's happening in the Pebble community and check out the latest watchface development on sites like mypebblefaces.com
Thanks for your support! We're looking forward to hearing what you think of Pebble!

Team Pebble

Still have questions? Visit our support center for more information.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

what's the communication like leading up to delivery?
"Your Pebble is shipping soon". 7 days later: tracking number. 2 days later, Pebble.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

For those of you that received yours, what's the communication like leading up to delivery? Did you all get emails/tracking numbers etc. or did it just show up one day?
Got an email saying "It'll be shipping in about two weeks." Almost exactly two weeks later, got an email saying "Here's your tracking number and the website of Singapore Post to follow it on." Promptly discovered SingPost's tracking is hot loving garbage. About a week and a half later, Pebble.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

"Here's your tracking number and the website of Singapore Post to follow it on."
That's pretty interesting. Everyone I know (mind you- I'm counting on one hand) had theirs shipped from California. City of Industry maybe.

vv Edit: :doh: Why do I assume all goons / frivolous kickstarter-purchasers are US? Forgive me.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

kuskus posted:

That's pretty interesting. Everyone I know (mind you- I'm counting on one hand) had theirs shipped from California. City of Industry maybe.

The US distribution center is in California. Everywhere else (including Canada, I think) gets it shipped from Singapore.

I've had mine about a day, and I really like it. Though I've had to redo the finger-dance on iOS7 a few times. I'm not sure if that's a bug with the beta or with the watch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kuskus posted:

Yeah, I'm in Taiwan, so shipping from Singapore makes way more sense. In as much as shipping from anywhere that isn't where they were made (China/Taiwan) makes sense in the first place. But if you're going to have a centralized shipping hub for the non-US parts, Singapore, Hong Kong, or Kuala Lumpur would probably be your best choices just for pure centrality.

• Locked thread