Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Pledge to Kickstarters. Assume the project won't deliver. If you can't afford to lose your money, don't pledge. Assume the project will be late. You're not buying a product.

It's a gamble, and the incentives are tilted in the house's favor. I don't really enjoy gambling, but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter isn't bad. I've gotten some good books out of it. If you're backing someone creative whose already got content, it's a good platform for getting over the self publishing hurdle.

But holy poo poo it's terrible for tech and tech accessories. By the time the heart rate monitor I backed (and fortunately got refunded) gets shipped for the Pebble there may not be a Pebble store to even download the app from. I've backed a couple of iPhone accessories only to have them rendered useless by a new phone (usually purchased shortly after the long delayed Kickstarter finally shipped).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Feeling very grateful to receive a full refund and not get strung along even further by this whole debacle.

Kickstarter has burned me a few times, but I've gotten some cool books and gifts out of them too. I've definitely learned not to kickstart videogames, though. Nothing good has come from my supporting game devs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Blog Post Update On What Happens Next

To summarise: All the current Pebble services will run as they currently do "through 2017". "In the coming months" the mobile apps will be updated to decrease the reliance on :yayclod: (so watches will keep working once services eventually discontinue) and adjust Pebble Health to feed directly into the app and OS-level services like HealthKit. The third party-reliant stuff like weather services are up in the air.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got my full refund. This has probably been my first real stinker when it comes to kickstarters but I've mostly backed video game stuff before this.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Blog Post Update On What Happens Next

To summarise: All the current Pebble services will run as they currently do "through 2017". "In the coming months" the mobile apps will be updated to decrease the reliance on :yayclod: (so watches will keep working once services eventually discontinue) and adjust Pebble Health to feed directly into the app and OS-level services like HealthKit. The third party-reliant stuff like weather services are up in the air.

They're making the best of it, the devices won't last forever & hopefully fitbit will start making decent watches before the servers get shut down.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Did a bunch of research into smartwatches in the Spring, and threw a Pebble Time on my Christmas list and my wife got me one yesterday.

Really sucks to hear they're shutting down, but I like the watch and it sounds like it'll keep working for all the basic features, so I'm not going to return it.

I really wanted something with an always on screen that was rugged and I could take out for long weekends hiking or camping or whatever and not have to worry about charging. No interest in a smart watch with a 24 hour charge that I have to shake everytime I want to check the time.

What a disappointment. Guess I'll run this little thing till it breaks and see if any other e-ink watch has hit the market at that point and if not I'll just go back to an old fashioned dumb watch. :smith:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't have any great hope for fitbit, but that Vector Luna is really catching my eye.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have yet to receive my refund - what are my options at this point? On the 7th Pebble said Kickstarter would process all eligible refunds in a week, then it could take up to 10 business days. The 10th business day was yesterday and I've yet to see a refund.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IAmKale posted:

I have yet to receive my refund - what are my options at this point? On the 7th Pebble said Kickstarter would process all eligible refunds in a week, then it could take up to 10 business days. The 10th business day was yesterday and I've yet to see a refund.

Talk to your bank, initiate a dispute.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Talk to your bank, initiate a dispute.
Good call. Amex initially balked that the dispute wasn't initiated within 60 days of the charge (lol) but after a bit of waiting the rep I spoke with made a "one time exception" and said they'd open a dispute.

So now we wait...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Good call. Amex initially balked that the dispute wasn't initiated within 60 days of the charge (lol) but after a bit of waiting the rep I spoke with made a "one time exception" and said they'd open a dispute.

So now we wait...

My bank says something similar, but they'll still open a dispute. I was just warned that "it may take longer and be more difficult" but it wasn't a problem disputing. Glad you got it going.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Get a time machine and stop donating your money to companies on kickstarter.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Strangely enough I'd have let this go as "welp, that's what I get for Kickstartering something". But when they start throwing around promises of refunds then you'd better believe I'm going to get my money back :colbert:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Don Lapre posted:

But I got my This Is Fine dog last week and it's wonderful! Also got my Pebble Time 2 refund two weeks ago as well.

I'm worried my OG doesn't have long left. It tears about 90% of the time. I'm considering taking it apart and trying to fix it as per YouTube demos, but the battery is also acting wonky.

A few days ago, I charged it just before going to bed, and it said "Fully Charged" when I unplugged it. Less than 9 hours later when I woke up, it said it was at 40 or 60%. I recharged it again last night, and I think I again unplugged it before bed. Some 12-20 hours later it says 90% and seems to be doing better.

Dammit, I don't know what watch I'll get next if this one bites it.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My biggest issue is I don't think I'm gonna find something with the form factor of the pebble time round for a looooooooooooong time.

I don't care about features, i don't care about having a smartwatch with a touchscreen or gps or wireless radios or whatever the gently caress. i was just so happy to have a smartwatch that had a 24/7 wearable form factor like a normal, small profile watch:

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-BN0032...rds=braun+watch

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All I really want are a very long battery life, some variation in watchfaces, and notification forwarding. I barely if ever use apps.

Oh, music control is nice too, I guess.

I hope my Pebble Steel lasts a while; it's pretty decent looking with a metal band and does all that. Although even though I don't really use apps it's very annoying that Pebble fragmented the OSes in two right before folding development with Timeline 4 not being available on Gen 1 devices.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MikeJF posted:

All I really want are a very long battery life, some variation in watchfaces, and notification forwarding. I barely if ever use apps.

Yeah, agreed, although I would prefer to be able to set alarms/timers directly on the watch.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Yeah, agreed, although I would prefer to be able to set alarms/timers directly on the watch.

I got a mi band 2 and it does the majority of what I need but this is a huge thing that it lacks. You can set them through the phone but ugh

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

SpelledBackwards posted:

A few days ago, I charged it just before going to bed, and it said "Fully Charged" when I unplugged it. Less than 9 hours later when I woke up, it said it was at 40 or 60%. I recharged it again last night, and I think I again unplugged it before bed. Some 12-20 hours later it says 90% and seems to be doing better.

My Round (which I got about a month ago) has been having similar battery issues. I charge it, it says 100%, dies three or four hours later after very little use (literally just a few email and text notifications, nothing else). I found that if I disconnect when it says 100% and then reconnect, it'll go back to "charging" and charge fully (lasting more like two days rather than literally hours).

Hopefully my Round and OG will last until something at least as good and functional comes along. So far I haven't come across anything that competes (for me personally) in terms of features and style. I don't want a stupid touchscreen and I don't want a huge bulky thing on my wrist trying to replace my phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Whitlam posted:

My Round (which I got about a month ago)

Most stores have holiday returns till jan 31 so atleast you can probably return it.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Don Lapre posted:

Most stores have holiday returns till jan 31 so atleast you can probably return it.

Not in Australia, I don't think. At least, I've never seen them physically for sale here. I like it enough to put up with the annoyance, and having found a solution it's fine really, but it's still a little annoying. Then again, first world problems etc. etc.

Actually here's a related question: do all Rounds have "special edition" on the back, or should that have been a sign to me that not all was well at the company? I bought it off the website in rose gold, not as a Kickstarter backer or as a promotion or anything.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FormatAmerica posted:

My biggest issue is I don't think I'm gonna find something with the form factor of the pebble time round for a looooooooooooong time.

I don't care about features, i don't care about having a smartwatch with a touchscreen or gps or wireless radios or whatever the gently caress. i was just so happy to have a smartwatch that had a 24/7 wearable form factor like a normal, small profile watch:

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-BN0032...rds=braun+watch

The Vector smartwatch seems to be the closest equivalent but it's missing some things that I love, it's really expensive compared to what I paid for a Time, and the community doesn't seem as active or large

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CES news are already talking about Fitbit working on its own app store: http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/6/14195088/fitbit-plans-app-store-wearable-fitness-tracker-ces-2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Um, yeah, of course, why else would Fitbit want Pebble? They had very limited IP and their fitness algorithms and HR sensor technology was poo poo compared to Fitbit and Apple.

Although it does touch on on very uncomfortable truth that doesn't get covered nearly enough with the Smartwatch market, the ultimate market is not convincing consumers that they should wear smartwatches, it's convincing our employers and insurers that we should and making them at least palatable to us.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

The Vector smartwatch seems to be the closest equivalent but it's missing some things that I love, it's really expensive compared to what I paid for a Time, and the community doesn't seem as active or large

I managed to score one half price just after christmas. It's a nice watch, and it's still got 60% charge after all this time. The SDK and development docs are actually pretty good from what I've skimmed, but fewer people have these watches, so a lot of the faces and apps are pretty trash, the phone app is good in places, bad in others (i.e. browsing watch faces takes ages). All I needed was something that had basic features, a massive battery life and allowed me to check a couple of feeds on the go without getting my phone out, and it does all that. But at least it's not been completely abandoned yet!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Amex closed my dispute because Kickstarter said they don't owe me poo poo. What the gently caress do I do now? :qq:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

IAmKale posted:

Amex closed my dispute because Kickstarter said they don't owe me poo poo. What the gently caress do I do now? :qq:

Learn to never ever, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Get a new credit card/bank? TD Visa refunded me instantly. Or, don't back a Kickstarter ever again.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Learn to never ever, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.
Hey man, two out of three Pebble Times shipped, I've been doing pretty good so far :suicide:

I've known full well how Kickstarter works since the beginning. Ironically, I wouldn't still be trying for a refund if Pebble hadn't said one should be coming...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get a new credit card/bank? TD Visa refunded me instantly. Or, don't back a Kickstarter ever again.
Yeah, it's like Amex completely ignored all the evidence I sent them just because Kickstarter responded to the dispute with "WELL HE AGREED TO THE ToS!" I disputed the resolution and uploaded some additional screenshots of Pebble's promise to issue a refund through Kickstarter, we'll see how round two goes.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Did you email pebble? They handled my refund not KS.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Welp, there goes the alternative..

Fitbit Acquires European Luxury Smartwatch Maker Vector Watch

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.
Oh my poo poo. I was considering getting one of those. Fitbit, you are one step ahead of me!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now that's just vindictive.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Did you email pebble? They handled my refund not KS.
Who did you email? I got the impression Pebble wasn't talking to anyone anymore and that I had to go through Kickstarter's support.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Just announced, Fitbit acquired your mom.

Those Vectors look interesting. Although the pictures in reviews don't look anywhere near as nice as those product shots.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

MikeJF posted:

Now that's just vindictive.

They must be reading the thread.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On the plus side, Fitbit wouldn't buy both Pebble and another Pebble-esque company just to do nothing with that technology...right :ohdear:

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Got my money back thankfully, glad I didn't run out and buy a vector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

IAmKale posted:

Who did you email? I got the impression Pebble wasn't talking to anyone anymore and that I had to go through Kickstarter's support.

I had just went through their site and got an email. If what you're saying is true that's pretty gross.

• Locked thread