Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

E: Gone. Thanks fellow goon!

butros fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Don't forget they were only planning on making 1,000 of these. They ended up getting 85,000 orders on KS and another 100,000 preorders. Best Buy will hopefully help alleviate some of their problems.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like if you ordered online from Best Buy, they shipped yesterday.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if your Best Buy had some on shelves right now. Lots of reports coming in confirming that, even if calling the store wrongly returns that they won't be out until tomorrow.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I ordered during the first round and it went out Wednesday and should be here Monday. I also read that some Best Buys are selling them already. It might be worth it to check out some stores today if you want one. I'm sure stores only got a few units each.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I've had mine for more or less 4 months now, I couldn't be happier that they've started carrying them at best buy since explaining kickstarter to people is both extremely awkward and exhausting.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Nnep posted:

I've had mine for more or less 4 months now, I couldn't be happier that they've started carrying them at best buy since explaining kickstarter to people is both extremely awkward and exhausting.

Oh man, same here. As soon as I try to explain what kickstarter and crowd-sourcing/funding is their eyes glaze over and I might as well try explaining what nuclear fusion is to a termite.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Went by Best Buy on a whim today to see if they had any in stock. Glad I ordered online because they had gotten two and they said there were people waiting outside when they opened to get them.

Mine will be here tomorrow

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I'm shocked that it's caused this much hype. Honestly in my experiences nobody seems to even know what a pebble is just yet, It's still very early in it's infancy. Have they done any media/print advertising?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Worth it at this moment if I'm an iOS user or is it better for Android? What can't it do on iOS?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

On iOS your per-app notification settings reset every time you disconnect the device. It's still neat and advantageous to have. There won't be a great sea change until both iOS 7 have been out and the final Pebble SDK is released so people can harness it. So basically, not until maybe November. The battery life is great though, get in now it you're interested.

I used watchgenerator to make myself a few barcode-only faces for things, so if I'm on a run, otherwise penniless, and in desperate need of an espresso macchiato I'll survive.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

kuskus posted:

On iOS your per-app notification settings reset every time you disconnect the device. It's still neat and advantageous to have. There won't be a great sea change until both iOS 7 have been out and the final Pebble SDK is released so people can harness it. So basically, not until maybe November. The battery life is great though, get in now it you're interested.

Although you should also note that calls and texts are automatically enabled. Every other app has to be re-enabled whenever the watch is disconnected.

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.
I went to Best Buy today on a whim to see if they had any in stock and the lady knew immediately what I was talking about. She said they didn't get any and the closest two Best Buy's didn't get any, nor any word on if they would get any. The store the next town over got two and they were sold very quickly after opening.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SyRauk posted:

Oh man, same here. As soon as I try to explain what kickstarter and crowd-sourcing/funding is their eyes glaze over and I might as well try explaining what nuclear fusion is to a termite.
I just say I got it off the Internet.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I still haven't given a "college try" to coding original faces for poo poo, but by using Photoshop and watchface-generator.de I've made a few keychain tags obsolete (Kroger Plus, gym, etc) by using straight-up 1:1 images and 2-color GIFs. Here's a design I made for my Starbucks card (PSD if you like). I just screenshotted the barcode in the Starbucks app, adjusted the Levels sliders to crush out any greys, then resized the vertically to 168px. Sending 144x168 gifs to w-g doesn't introduce any distortion. Works at the register and if not, the number is a fallback.

If you're a wiseguy, there's no money on that card, just an example.

Edit: If you're resizing assets in PS to pop onto a face, when you go to Image Size you need to Resample Image to Nearest Neighbor (Preserve Hard Edges) to get them to shrink without anti-aliasing.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What on Earth does "always skip onboarding" mean?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

What on Earth does "always skip onboarding" mean?

I don't know for sure since I don't have my device yet but it sounds like the newest software updated added some kind of new user "onboarding" process.

Going from what I read on their forum, it also apparently was the case that if you already had a device paired and set up from before the update, and then went through this process, you would hose up the bluetooth pairing and you'd have to back it all out and start over.

They added a further update that would only offer you the option to go through the update if it detected a watch was paired, but they also say some phones can't reliably tell if the watch is paired or not. So they now give you a setting to force it to never offer you the option.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh, so it's basically "skip tutorial" then. Thought so.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah on mine, I updated and it gave me a Getting Started screen I didn't know how to skip (yet). Because I got partway through it before telling it to gently caress off with Gmail notifications that I definitely didn't want on the phone, it lost my pairing and I had to re-sync it. Luckily the watchfaces I already had on there still showed up OK in the app and things are hunky dory now. I'm hoping to new updates are better at reconnecting the loving watch to the phone -- it was frustrating to see I had missed texts on my phone but nothing happened on my Pebble, despite seeing "Pebble is connected" in the phone's status bar.

I've played some with Pebble Canvas to make my own custom face with dynamically updating text (including missed SMS count, missed call count, and phone battery %), but if the watch loses connection, it doesn't seem to reliably time out and at least display the things it does know regardless of connection (date/time). Yet occasionally I will see it without a connection (presumably), and only the date/time show up, whereas the dynamic text from the phone is blanked out. So I don't know how it gets into that state vs. the all-blank face.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I've been reading online that a bunch of people have scratched or dinged their pebble. I bought a few screen protectors from Gagetwraps. Besides the normal protectors that cover either the body and/or face of the watch, they also have a bunch of different colors and styles like wood, matte, metal, neon, etc. Could be good if you didn't really want black and would rather have a color. I bought a clear one and a few colors in case I get bored of black.

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 9, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

I've played some with Pebble Canvas to make my own custom face with dynamically updating text (including missed SMS count, missed call count, and phone battery %), but if the watch loses connection, it doesn't seem to reliably time out and at least display the things it does know regardless of connection (date/time). Yet occasionally I will see it without a connection (presumably), and only the date/time show up, whereas the dynamic text from the phone is blanked out. So I don't know how it gets into that state vs. the all-blank face.
I was using Pebble Canvas for a bit to display time, date, missed calls/unread emails/unread sms, and next two appointments from GCal, and it kept making GBS threads the bed. I realized why, though - the appointments were long enough to push the whole thing beyond the Pebble's message-length limit, breaking the updating.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Went by Best Buy on a whim today to see if they had any in stock. Glad I ordered online because they had gotten two and they said there were people waiting outside when they opened to get them.

Mine will be here tomorrow

I went to Best Buy out of impulse yesterday to see if they had any. Only a handful of stores in my state are carrying them right now, and the store I checked at had three in transit. Closest store that had them now was also over a hundred miles away.

Kind of disappointed, but at the same time I still want the cherry red one much more.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just got mine from UPS. I first had to skip the initial software update process, because it was just hanging at that point. After giving up on the update, I didn't get past trying to set the time on this before boxing it back up to return to Best Buy tonight.

The screen looks pretty bad, honestly, especially when it's backlit. Also, it feels just kind of cheap and chintzy; the buttons feel soft and don't really have a decisive "click" to them. I could get a new band, because I knew going into this that the band sucks, but I can't fix the watch itself.

Also, why in the hell am I setting the time on a "smart" watch anyway? Shouldn't it just pair with my phone, then get the time from it?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

kitten smoothie posted:

Also, why in the hell am I setting the time on a "smart" watch anyway? Shouldn't it just pair with my phone, then get the time from it?

I don't remember having to do this at all :confused:

What phone do you have?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kazy posted:

I don't remember having to do this at all :confused:

What phone do you have?

RAZR HD. It paired and the app saw the watch, then it said there was a software update. It showed an update progress meter, rebooted, and at that point both the phone and watch said they were waiting on the other to connect to do an update.

Waited ten minutes and nothing happened so I aborted the update and just went forward, and the first thing it asked me to do was set the time.

Setting the time seemed really tedious because the buttons felt so squishy.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
What do you find bad about the screen? I actually like it a lot (shows up well in daylight, has good animation properties) other than some manufacturing bullshit (mura after the watch gets hot, yellowing around the screen corners in certain circumstances)

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks, C U l8r, kitten smoothie.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Evil Robot posted:

What do you find bad about the screen? I actually like it a lot (shows up well in daylight, has good animation properties) other than some manufacturing bullshit (mura after the watch gets hot, yellowing around the screen corners in certain circumstances)

On the left and right edges of the screen, there's thick bands of yellow. Pretty much the center third of the screen is the only part that's not discolored. It's most evident when the backlight is on. It did also have the mura effect (I had to google that to find out what that meant) when it was fresh out of the box, as it had been sitting in a hot UPS truck all day. That got a little better once it cooled down, but there's still this yellow-normal-yellow color gradient across the screen.

The screen notwithstanding, it seems when I press one of the buttons on the side, 2/3 of the time it wouldn't register.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

It asked you to put the time in because it wasn't connected to your phone obviously. I had to hit back when it tried to update and then connect to the pebble with the app. After that I was able to initiate the update and everything went smoothly.

I don't have a problem with the buttons but I agree the screen isn't the greatest.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The buttons are mushy due to the membrane that makes the watch fully waterproof to 3 meters deep or whatever it's rated for. The back says "5 Atmospheres" but I left my "earth's atmosphere at sea level to submerged depth in saltwater" conversion slide rule at the office.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

On the left and right edges of the screen, there's thick bands of yellow

kitten smoothie posted:

The screen notwithstanding, it seems when I press one of the buttons on the side, 2/3 of the time it wouldn't register.

That sounds hosed up. I haven't noticed anything like those with my watch. You might want to contact Pebble support. (Although on the other hand you'd probably get quicker support if you prayed to Zeus for help.)

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
They've really made a mess with this new app update.

Also, Pebbler keeps giving me UUID errors every time I unlock my phone, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
I have severe rainbowing on my Pebble depending on the time of day, pictured:

https://twitter.com/amiantos/status/344234321793671169

It's ridiculous. But they tell me it's normal. So I'm not upset. I love my Pebble. It only happens in the afternoon really, guess it depends on the angle of the sun. The watch is tilted extremely in that picture but depending on the sun it shows up just looking at the watch full on. Depending on the watchface it can be so bad it's hard to tell the time.

I only bring it up because despite my love of my Pebble I know this sort of thing isn't "Apple quality". Steve Jobs wouldn't let a screen that does this "normally" go into production. People who hate the screen because of it's imperfections aren't necessarily wrong. I don't seem to suffer from the "mura effect", but sometimes I look at my watch and it looks like an oily puddle.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

amiantos posted:

Steve Jobs wouldn't let a screen that does this "normally" go into production.
Steve Jobs is dead. I'm sorry you had to learn about it like this.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I have a little bit of polarization on my screen too, it really gets amplified when im wearing sunglasses. Most of the time I don't notice it though. Eh

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I just updated my FallDown Forever game clone (http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/87/8743.html) with a fairly substantial feature: global high scores! Your high scores are now automatically entered in competition with those of others playing Falldown on their watch around the world at http://pebblescores.appspot.com/list?game=Falldown. Your score is identified for now by your Pebble's BT address, located in Settings > About > BT Address. Note that for this feature to work, you must have an app implementing HTTPebble installed on your phone (Android: http://goo.gl/BimoY, iPhone: http://goo.gl/JqKx3). Download at mypebblefaces: http://www.mypebblefaces.com/view?fID=4252&aName=malrobot&pageTitle=Falldown&auID=4736.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

New Kickstarter update! Looks like they're finally putting in Email alerts for iOS next update.

Also :siren:replacement cables can be ordered!:siren:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bugger me, a Kickstarter update that actually addresses people's concerns instead of just being autofellatio and vague handwaving? Color me impressed.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
The few times I have had anything other than text notifications going to my Pebble it has been really annoying. At-a-glance info is one thing but my wrist vibrating with every bit of email I get was just too much.

My fear is that in iOS 7 they fix it so all notifcations go to the Pebble but it'll be impossible to stop them from going to the watch without disabling lock screen notifications completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

amiantos posted:

The few times I have had anything other than text notifications going to my Pebble it has been really annoying. At-a-glance info is one thing but my wrist vibrating with every bit of email I get was just too much.

My fear is that in iOS 7 they fix it so all notifcations go to the Pebble but it'll be impossible to stop them from going to the watch without disabling lock screen notifications completely.

In iOS 7 the app should have fine control over which notifications go to your watch.

• Locked thread