Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I went to Best Buy again and found out they have some in stock. I think it was just 2, though.

Only thing was they won't sell it to me until tomorrow when they open at 11 am. I'm planning to make a trip back to get it. I'm kind of giddy, even if it isn't the cherry red like I really wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.
You know, I'd probably just wait for the Cherry Red. It is a nice product at a pretty fair price point for what it does, but it's not exactly a life-altering, you-must-buy-it-now-to-reap-rewards-untold product. I was waiting for a year for my Cherry Red when they offered the option to switch to black and have it be shipped 2-4 weeks sooner. I'm glad I waited, and you probably would be too, if it is something you "really want."

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Czolgosz posted:

You know, I'd probably just wait for the Cherry Red. It is a nice product at a pretty fair price point for what it does, but it's not exactly a life-altering, you-must-buy-it-now-to-reap-rewards-untold product. I was waiting for a year for my Cherry Red when they offered the option to switch to black and have it be shipped 2-4 weeks sooner. I'm glad I waited, and you probably would be too, if it is something you "really want."

I'm probably going to wait for the Cherry Red after all.

Deep down on some level, I still want that more, even if I did get the black one. But the kicker is I went in to check earlier and found out all the Best Buy stores in my town already have their few Pebble smartwatches ordered and reserved for pickup.

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.
Reserved already? Man, I guess a lot more people are dying to have one than I thought.

Add your email to the pre-order list. It's free, so if you end up getting your cherry red Pebble before you get your pre-order, you won't have lost anything; if you end up not being able to find a cherry red Pebble for months and months and months, you'll get your Pebble with very little fuss. It's no-lose/win.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've had mine for about a week now, and the 8 app limitation has already annoyed me. How does Runkeeper's integration work, and could other phone apps do something similar without taking up those slots on the watch? I was specifically thinking today about a navigation app running on the phone and displaying the next turn direction with distance on the watch. I suppose that kind of integration would require specific support in the watch OS, or through the Pebble app or something.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 22, 2013

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

I've had mine for about a week now, and the 8 app limitation has already annoyed me. How does Runkeeper's integration work, and could other phone apps do something similar without taking up those slots on the watch? I was specifically thinking today about a navigation app running on the phone and displaying the next turn direction with distance on the watch. I suppose that kind of integration would require specific support in the watch OS, or through the Pebble app or something.

RunKeeper / whatever fitness app integration is a built in app that only activates when you open RunKeeper / whatever on your phone (http://developer.getpebble.com/1/02_Guides/08_Sports). Non-fitness apps can't do that without support from Pebble.

If you have an Android phone, install Pebble Notifier and send notifications from Google Maps to Pebble. It'll notify you with navigation directions and distance every few seconds.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Czolgosz posted:

Reserved already? Man, I guess a lot more people are dying to have one than I thought.

Add your email to the pre-order list. It's free, so if you end up getting your cherry red Pebble before you get your pre-order, you won't have lost anything; if you end up not being able to find a cherry red Pebble for months and months and months, you'll get your Pebble with very little fuss. It's no-lose/win.

That's actually good advice. I'm actually still on the preorder list. I sent mine in back in April, I think.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

If you have an Android phone, install Pebble Notifier and send notifications from Google Maps to Pebble. It'll notify you with navigation directions and distance every few seconds.
Just to reiterate - every few seconds. If you're on foot and using it, it's a loving terrible idea. If you're in a car or something, I guess it might be a better one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Just to reiterate - every few seconds. If you're on foot and using it, it's a loving terrible idea. If you're in a car or something, I guess it might be a better one.

Yeah, that sounds pretty annoying in either case. I guess I could submit a feature suggestion, though it would require support from both Pebble and the app developer for it to work how I'm thinking.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 22, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Just bought a pebble from my coworker who replaced his red one with a black one, so woo! I like stupid gadgets, so this is up my alley. :)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Also for the people who want a different color - why not just grab http://www.gadgetwraps.com/devices/pebble-watch.html ? seems like a quicker way to handle it and comes with a protective case.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just picked one up from Best Buy yesterday, and it's been great for the first day, but then the buttons stopped working. So I went back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another one today, and after about 6 hours the screen goes out. Is anyone else having issues like this? I really like the Pebble and I'd hate to get my money back and have to take my phone out of my pocket again.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I've had my pebble for about 5 months now and can't say I've experienced either of those problems, seems like you've had bad luck.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

after about 6 hours the screen goes out.

Just checking the obvious here, but I know when I got mine the battery was quite low. Is it charged?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

Just checking the obvious here, but I know when I got mine the battery was quite low. Is it charged?

Yeah it's fully charged. The one I got from Best Buy was the last one in the area so I'm just going to wait till they get more and exchange it again.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Falcon2001 posted:

Also for the people who want a different color - why not just grab http://www.gadgetwraps.com/devices/pebble-watch.html ? seems like a quicker way to handle it and comes with a protective case.

I was absolutely dead set on getting the Cherry Red until I saw this. Now I'm leaving my options open a bit. There's no way in hell I'm going to use a Pebble with no screen protection anyway.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Jingleheimer posted:

I just picked one up from Best Buy yesterday, and it's been great for the first day, but then the buttons stopped working. So I went back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another one today, and after about 6 hours the screen goes out. Is anyone else having issues like this? I really like the Pebble and I'd hate to get my money back and have to take my phone out of my pocket again.

When I got my Pebble from Best Buy, it worked fine for a couple days, then stopped responding to buttons at all. I couldn't get it to restart, since it wouldn't even respond to holding the buttons in. However, it was still running and the Pebble app on my phone was connected to it OK. I ended up having to find an old version of the Pebble firmware and install that to get the watch to reboot. It hasn't done that again since, though.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
Either I missed something, or there's retail Cherry Red units already on sale. Going through eBay reveals several results where retail boxed Cherry Red units exist. But I checked the Best Buy site earlier and saw nothing but the default black one.

Oh, and every Best Buy in my area (and state) has no Pebbles in stock at all.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

SirSigma posted:

I was absolutely dead set on getting the Cherry Red until I saw this. Now I'm leaving my options open a bit. There's no way in hell I'm going to use a Pebble with no screen protection anyway.

Yeah those are pretty awesome. I bought a red, blue, green and clear one.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I feel sorry for the poor sap that had to perfectly apply/remove/reapply every single one of those for their preview shots.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wario In Real Life posted:

I feel sorry for the poor sap that had to perfectly apply/remove/reapply every single one of those for their preview shots.

Maybe that's just where all the Pebbles went.

But it's probably photo shopped. Not too hard to color something.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

But it's probably photo shopped. Not too hard to color something.

I don't think they are, most of the images look unique.

I want to order a few, but drat if they aren't a bit pricey.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

sirbeefalot posted:

I've got a Gadget Wrap for mine and it is pretty good, I forget it is there. Until I got a huge paint smear on it from bumping into a wall. Luckily they include two, and also will send out a replacement for the cost of shipping ($1) if something like that happens.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kazy posted:

I've got a Gadget Wrap for mine and it is pretty good, I forget it is there. Until I got a huge paint smear on it from bumping into a wall. Luckily they include two, and also will send out a replacement for the cost of shipping ($1) if something like that happens.

You can also clean the paint off pretty easily with some hand sanitiser.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm going to order a few - 9 bucks ain't so bad for something like that. my coworker's going in on me with it so we're going to get the one free. I'll post a trip report when we get 'em.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wore my Pebble for the first time today and am really liking it. The ability to control my phones music from my wrist in the car is better than I imagined. Also being able to glance down at my watch to see what email/txt I just got while in a meeting at work is great.

One thing I do hate is the strap. Does anyone have a nice leather one they recommend? Also I will take any app recommendations.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

BestBuy.com has the red Pebbles available, it just accepted my order.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

SpartanIV posted:

I wore my Pebble for the first time today and am really liking it. The ability to control my phones music from my wrist in the car is better than I imagined. Also being able to glance down at my watch to see what email/txt I just got while in a meeting at work is great.

One thing I do hate is the strap. Does anyone have a nice leather one they recommend? Also I will take any app recommendations.

I hope you like runkeeper

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

SpartanIV posted:

I considered a lot of different straps after finding the stock one to be quite uncomfortable. I finally ended up getting a nylon NATO style one (http://www.amazon.com/22mm-James-Bond-Black-Ballistic/dp/B005BDZFBA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1375901962&sr=8-12&keywords=22mm+watch+band). It's pretty comfortable and matches my black pebble quite well.

I considered black metal ones and leather ones but neither one seemed to mesh very well with a shiny black plastic watch. Plus all the black metal ones either had bad reviews or were super expensive.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!

SpartanIV posted:

This is the leather band I bought: http://www.amazon.com/FOSSIL-Heirloom-Leather-Watch-Strap/dp/B00BMDDCNG/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0

I think it looks nice. http://i.imgur.com/quBCqT6l.jpg

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I ordered the Cherry Red a few days ago from the Best Buy site for in-store pickup sometime next week. I'm actually pretty excited about waiting after all.

Now I just need to get a wrist strap as well. I'm actually having a bit of trouble deciding whether I should order one and have it coincide with the day I pick it up, or if I should wait and see how the one on the Pebble feels before I get one.

I also don't know if I want the stylish Fossil Heirloom one or the thin NATO straps that feel like wearing no watch at all. I used to use a metal watch regularly, but I'd occasionally take it off because it would feel hot or sweaty against my skin after a while.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I got my cherry red Pebble today. Feels good to finally have one, although the button to scroll down feels a little unresponsive sometimes. I hope it's not a defect of some kind.

Along the border where the cherry red plastic meets the black body, there's this little grime. I think it might be a glue residue of some kind. Hopefully some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip can minimize it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah its common for there to be a little glue on the sides unfortunately.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

mcpringles posted:

Yeah its common for there to be a little glue on the sides unfortunately.

It could be worse. I tried to reduce some of it with alcohol and a q-tip, but I stopped when I realized the q-tip was turning pinkish. It's not so bad in its current state.

I wanted to ask what screen protector I should get for this thing in terms of best price without feeling like an orange peel (so no ZAGG). I was going to get a Skinomi, but I want to be sure I have all my options open. I don't really care for a gadget wrap because I've got a cherry red like I originally wanted.
Nevermind, I went to Radio Shack and got the cheapest screen protector for a phone nobody uses on discount, then cut the shape out. Just need to get a watch strap now.

SirSigma fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 14, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So has there been any word on the supposed IFTTT support yet?

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 30, 2013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

TetsuoTW posted:

So has there been any word on the supposed IFTTT support yet?

From last month's reddit AMA:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

From last month's reddit AMA:
OK, so I can pretty much kiss goodbye to that then, since I'm in a country where that doesn't work. Great.

e: holy poo poo that AMA is Pebble as hell. "When will (thing you promised months ago/basic functionality someone else knocked up in short order) be done?" "Eventually." "What are your goals for the future of Pebble?" "Stuff."

sub supau fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 30, 2013

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yeah, I've stopped wearing my Pebble on a daily basis. I bought it as an "app watch" which is how they sold it in their Kickstarter. But as it stands now, it's basically just a "notifications watch" and anything above and beyond that requires a bunch of micromanagment hackery and doesn't look or act good enough to make it worth the effort. You really hit the nail on the head when you called that comment about IFTT "pebble as hell". Their response to loads of features has been "we're not going to implement that in a first-party simple way because you can accomplish it already if you spend an hour hacking together a bunch of 3rd party apps and services."

I'm not all angsty about my hundred bucks, and I don't feel ripped off. But at the same time, I really did want a watch that was capable of easily running a bunch of cool apps, and that's just not what this is. Getting notifications on your watch is pretty cool and can be really useful, but if that's all it ever does, that doesn't justify me wearing it around all day, everywhere. I'll probably wear it only on occasions where I don't want to keep whipping my phone out, or where I might not hear my phone ring/feel it vibrate.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 30, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

What apps were you expecting? Runkeeper and Golfcaddie were both released and there are a few games and other 3rd party apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xamphear posted:

Yeah, I've stopped wearing my Pebble on a daily basis. I bought it as an "app watch" which is how they sold it in their Kickstarter. But as it stands now, it's basically just a "notifications watch" and anything above and beyond that requires a bunch of micromanagment hackery and doesn't look or act good enough to make it worth the effort. You really hit the nail on the head when you called that comment about IFTT "pebble as hell". Their response to loads of features has been "we're not going to implement that in a first-party simple way because you can accomplish it already if you spend an hour hacking together a bunch of 3rd party apps and services."

I'm not all angsty about my hundred bucks, and I don't feel ripped off. But at the same time, I really did want a watch that was capable of easily running a bunch of cool apps, and that's just not what this is. Getting notifications on your watch is pretty cool and can be really useful, but if that's all it ever does, that doesn't justify me wearing it around all day, everywhere. I'll probably wear it only on occasions where I don't want to keep whipping my phone out, or where I might not hear my phone ring/feel it vibrate.

Now I've got a Sony smartwatch, and its a little more app oriented. That said, I've been wearing it less myself for the same reasons as you. The novelty of seeing texts and calls on your wrist is just that, a novelty. Its saved me several times since Android silent mode is way too easy to enter and I can not miss a boss call thanks to the obvious notification, but its not horribly useful or stylish, both of which are kind of staples of a watch. (That's if keeping meticulous watch over time is considered useful, and I think it is.)

• Locked thread