Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've gotten my pebble wet before and it wasn't a problem. But last week it got wet while I was doing laundry and the water had Tide in it. The dang thing turned itself off and I can't get it to turn back on. At first I was all "pff whatever, it didnt turn out to be the wrist revolution after all" but I got really used to reading my text messages without my phone and now I miss it :-( did this thing come with any kind of warranty? I gotta find the box it came in and look for some small print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

PlesantDilemma posted:

At first I was all "pff whatever, it didnt turn out to be the wrist revolution after all" but I got really used to reading my text messages without my phone and now I miss it :-(

Yes, it does have a year warranty but I have to highlight this because I still people not understanding it. We will see with SDK 2.0 but Pebble is a dumb watch, a dumb watch that does an amazing job with notifications. Seriously, it doesn't seem like a big deal but it is,.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pebble's down to $119 at Best Buy, or $89 with a .edu email address. I had bought one for $150 and didn't think it was worth the money, but I might reconsider for $89.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

I ordered a Pebble on Amazon for $120.00 with some gift cards I got from work as a bonus. It seems like I'm getting in at a good time with the new firmware coming out in a couple months and an app store on the way. I think I'm going to swap the band out right away though, it looks a little hokey to me in the pictures.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I ordered a Pebble on Amazon for $120.00 with some gift cards I got from work as a bonus. It seems like I'm getting in at a good time with the new firmware coming out in a couple months and an app store on the way. I think I'm going to swap the band out right away though, it looks a little hokey to me in the pictures.

The band is uncomfortable cheap ugly poo poo, seriously don't even bother trying it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Seriously, swap the band immediately. The original one is hot street trash. Literally any band available anywhere would be better. poo poo, tying it onto your wrist with string would be better.

Also I'll believe the app store thing when it launches and not a second before.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Any word on if the watch will ever be able to control Pandora radio on Android? :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Prescription Combs posted:

Any word on if the watch will ever be able to control Pandora radio on Android? :(

It has been able to do this for a very long time, possibly since launch. You select what the "music" watch app controls from the phone app. Only does next track and play/pause as far as I know, though.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

It has been able to do this for a very long time, possibly since launch. You select what the "music" watch app controls from the phone app. Only does next track and play/pause as far as I know, though.

What the... I swear that was not there in my pebble app when I first looked. Lo and behold. :downs:

Thanks!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Does Android not have universal Bluetooth media controls? With the iPhone Pebble gets song data and music control from whatever audio app is active.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Also I'll believe the app store thing when it launches and not a second before.

As a developer, they have their internal app store infrastructure pretty built out and ready to go so I'm a believer...

It's also the only way for them to have a sustainable competitive advantage so I can see why they're focusing on it (even over making Pebble2).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Does Android not have universal Bluetooth media controls? With the iPhone Pebble gets song data and music control from whatever audio app is active.

Nope, that sounds nice! The Android version of it (using Pandora) is a watchface with "no music found". Functional, but in the most basic sense.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Nope, that sounds nice! The Android version of it (using Pandora) is a watchface with "no music found". Functional, but in the most basic sense.

Oh that's sucks, in iOS every audio app gets full meta data, artist, title, album whatever. Even apps like NPR will show the journalist, story title and show name.

I didn't think I would use the music controls much but with playback control and song titles I bought a bluetooth adaptor for my iPhone and I can run errands on foot and not be tangled into any cables. It's so nice when I'm walking the dog and trying to pick up dinner or whatever, it used to be such a tangled mess when I was trying to keep the headphone cable from tangling in the dog leash while changing a track on my phone or checking a text or whatever, now it is full phone freedom or often freedom from my phone while I wear the earphone cable under my hoodie or sweater or whatever.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just for the record I've given away my Pebble after it sat in my closet for a few months, so I've unsubscribed from this thread. If anyone wants changes made to the OP, please PM me.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Just got one for Christmas yesterday... so I don't have a whole lot of experience yet, but so far I really like it.

Although this isn't the most awesome thing I've ever used, I've got to say, I'm really impressed with the Pebble so far. There's an app called Pebble Canvas that lets you create a watch face that can include the time (in numbers or in words), the weather, e-mail count, SMS count, the date, and so on.

It's super customizable and it's made the watch seem at least slightly more useful. And I like customizing things, so there's that.

Edit: After browsing the thread, I see now that Canvas is old news. But it's still pretty cool. I like it more than Glance.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 27, 2013

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So CES announcements, App Store and 2.0 go live by the end of January with a notification center and a bunch of new apps and the thing I have been asking for...

Pebble Steel, thinner Gorilla glass and steel body. I am in love with Pebble and so tempted but with Apple's watch around the corner I'm not sure I want to put the money into it and it still looks a bit cheap.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
$100 premium for a glass face and metal band, mostly unchanged internals.

Worth it? Not so sure, honestly.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Three Olives posted:

Pebble Steel, thinner Gorilla glass and steel body. I am in love with Pebble and so tempted but with Apple's watch around the corner I'm not sure I want to put the money into it and it still looks a bit cheap.

My dad loves my mum's and my Pebbles, but he doesn't like the cheap look. I think this is right up his alley.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I've been wanting one for awhile, but the current one just didn't work for me as far as style goes and I was worried about scratching up the plastic screen. $100 extra is a bit steep, but it's still $100 cheaper than the competition and looks a hell of a lot better doing it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Replying because this thread is suffering from the forums bug where it says there's a new post but you can't view the new post until another reply is made.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just realized that the head of the watch is a proprietary design which limits the strap options to just the included ones. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me as I would really want a fabric band to use when I'm bike riding or doing other outdoor activity stuff. If it could take universal straps, i would be ordering one right now.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bull3964 posted:

I just realized that the head of the watch is a proprietary design which limits the strap options to just the included ones. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me as I would really want a fabric band to use when I'm bike riding or doing other outdoor activity stuff. If it could take universal straps, i would be ordering one right now.

You can use any 22mm watch band, but they will sit the same as the standard band does. I saw someone that had modded a wider watch band so that the band was even with the edges of the watch, but I didn't like the way it looked.

I have this one but with orange and black instead of blue:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF1F1WY
That's the one I have.

Edit: VVV Sorry.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 6, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AFewBricksShy posted:

You can use any 22mm watch band, but they will sit the same as the standard band does. I saw someone that had modded a wider watch band so that the band was even with the edges of the watch.

I'm not talking about the current one, I'm talking about the steel one. It look like it uses a proprietary connector. You need a watch band with two tabs as the watch head has a connector in the center as well as either end.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Oh wow, I didn't notice that but it is a deal breaker for me as well. The old Pebble is not ugly, once you ditch the piece of poo poo wristband that it comes with it's really not a bad looking watch, it's not particularly attractive but at the same time there is something appealing about how minimalist it is and how on the black model the watch face completely blends into the frame with a black background. I mean no one is going to think it is expensive but no one is going to think it is a geeky looking piece of poo poo you bought from a Walmart rack.

A nylon band is just really comfortable for everyday wear, if I bought it would have been with the intention of putting the nylon band I have on my current Pebble on it. If I was buying new I would consider spending the extra $100 but as a slightly more fashionable watch I'm just going to keep my $250. I guess what I am saying is that it's an upgrade, $100 upgrade for my first Pebble I would consider it but not as a $250 upgrade over the one I already have.

That said I'm really excited for 2.0, the Pebble is a really, really great watch after the iOS 7 upgrade, I've found myself actually using it to tell the time instead of instinctively pulling out my iPhone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's why I was excited about the matte black version. It would have been the perfect chameleon watch. With the metal band, you could use it with a suit. With a nylon band, it would look at home in the outdoors.

I just hate shiny plastic and really dislike the lack of a glass screen on the current one. It's not horribly ugly by any means, but it's not an all occasion watch like this could have been. I keep hoping there's some detail about the design that I overlooked and it can accept universal bands so I could order it, but it doesn't look to be the case.

Personally, I think they are doing this so that they can setup an accessory store for the watch as well.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm not talking about the current one, I'm talking about the steel one. It look like it uses a proprietary connector. You need a watch band with two tabs as the watch head has a connector in the center as well as either end.

Yeah this is really disappointing, I like what they've done with the case but I'm not big on any of the bands.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

$250 for a shinier Pebble with a less poo poo strap (presumably) and less scratchable face? Are they fuckin' high? I mean I'm glad they're finally giving us an app store, but for $250 for a watch that (presumably) will still have all the connection problems, pitiful memory, and a complete lack of non-Latin character set support?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Memory is actually doubled on the steel.

The price is a tad on the high side, but not too bad. Most lower end fashion watches start around $100. If you make the assumption that most of the pebble's current price is from the tech, the price premium for the steel makes a bit more sense.

Still looks like a bargain compared to the Torque or Galaxy Gear.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got a decent enough analog Armitron off Amazon for $18 shipped. I like the looks of the new Pebble, but at that price I might as well buy something with a little more zing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Most lower end fashion watches start around $100.

That's where my problem is, it's not a fashion watch. The standard Pebble actually has great build quality and while the materials are better on the Steel it's still nothing anyone would consider a designer or luxury product

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Did they say how thin the watch is compared to the original?

I don't always wear mime because it's too thick to wear with a standard dress shirt. I'd rather have a steel one, especially if I could use it better with dress shirts. I don't think I'd pay $250 for one though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

...but for $250 for a watch that (presumably) will still have all the connection problems, pitiful memory, and a complete lack of non-Latin character set support?

Every morning I wake up and see this notification from Smart News.

So if I wanna see what was just reported on from Asahi, I have to get my phone out to check. If they could just fix this, I would really love this device. Getting my (english) email notifications on my wrist so I don't have to take out my phone for every failed production build server error email is really handy. I also love being able to quickly change music tracks while I'm driving, rather that screwing around with my iPhone. I just need to get a new strap for it, because I'm in full agreement with the rest of the thread; the one it comes with is trash.

But not having more character sets is just annoying. I want to be able to see a notification without going "Oh, it's in Japanese, better get my phone out!"

I do like the look of the new model, but it's not enough to justify getting it until it actually does more. I like the pebble more than other smart-watches, but that's not saying much when the other ones are pretty poo poo.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I would argue that the $250 price point is fine for the Steel as there is nothing to compare it to. There are simply no other smart watches out there that A) have this large of a community backing B) are metal cased C) have something better than cheap mineral glass or plastic. However, I can't justify throwing down $250 since I already own a Pebble. Now if I broke or lost my current Pebble, I would seriously consider replacing it with a Pebble Steel.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I must be the only person on earth who is pretty happy with the strap that came with my black Pebble. Yes, the watch and strap are a bit bulky (especially on my tiny wrist), and the strap's punch holes are a bit meh, but it never gets grimy and smelly like the fabric straps everyone else seems to want to replace them with. I think the biggest thing I'd change is making the strap retention loop less slick, as it often likes to slide past the strap's end.

The Steel looks nice, but I'm definitely not going to double my original outlay to get a nicer looking version of the thing I already have. Especially since I feel like its reliability on Android re: reconnecting after separation or the Pebble app quitting itself for no reason all seemed to be better before they started doing more work on improving the iOS side of things.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I think this may be a factor on why a good portion of people that have purchased a Pebble have decided they don't like wearing watches, the Pebble band is poo poo, it's stiff, uncomfortable, it doesn't breathe, it's all around terrible.

Fabric bands can get gross and smelly but so can anything if you don't take care of it, if you don't like fabric bands there are other options given the standard sizing, it is easy to find leather, metal or ceramic bands that may more appealing to you.

The band that comes with it is terrible, they shouldn't even have bothered shipping it with a band if cost was a factor in their decision, it is poo poo. Trust me, replace it, it's poo poo.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really like the nato watch straps. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my Pebble.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

I must be the only person on earth who is pretty happy with the strap that came with my black Pebble.

I haven't been bothered enough to change mine yet. Its not the most comfortable band, but it gets the job done and I can spill any manner of poo poo on it at work and not worry about it.

For those that have changed it out, can you replace it yourself or did you have to take it to a jeweler/watch shop?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I already have a Pebble Steel! Here it is ;).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

For those that have changed it out, can you replace it yourself or did you have to take it to a jeweler/watch shop?

It's very easy to do yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Caved and ordered a Steel. Wasn't pleased with the original model of Pebble at all in terms of build quality and size, so I took it back, but it looks like this may have addressed the concerns I had. If not, hey, 30 day return policy.

• Locked thread