Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When I was fighting for my refund at the time of the Fitbit sale, Pebble either didn't reply or it was just the form letter about the transition. Their support definitely seems to be closed and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
It's possible that Pebble just ran out of money in which case you are probably poo poo out of luck with a chargeback you agreed to Kickstarters you might just be hosed terms of service.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's not true, a lot of banks/credit cards in a lot of countries will absolutely do a chargeback for poo poo like this, gently caress Kickstarter, their terms of service don't override consumer rights.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's weird to me that Amex wouldn't back you in this case. I thought the whole point of Amex was that you get way better customer service at the expense of not being able to use it at a bunch of stores because they charge more money to pay for that amazing customer service. If they don't have that or the Costco deal anymore, what's the point?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

It's weird to me that Amex wouldn't back you in this case. I thought the whole point of Amex was that you get way better customer service at the expense of not being able to use it at a bunch of stores because they charge more money to pay for that amazing customer service. If they don't have that or the Costco deal anymore, what's the point?
My impression was that the agent I worked with to file the original dispute didn't include any of the evidence I sent them at the time, and so all Amex had to go off of was KS's statement that I'm a stupid idiot who agreed to throw his money away.

Fortunately I was able to reopen the dispute last night, and the agent helped me submit screenshots and links for both Update 17 (the KS update detailing the refund process) and Pebble's own KS-specific support page listing refund details. Amex followed up shortly afterwards requesting that I submit, in writing, my side of things so that they can look into this issue more cloesly.

I'm a bit miffed I've been put on the defensive, but I'm more optimistic than I was when I received the initial dispute resolution. Fingers crossed!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Still, it's crappy you're having to do it at all. Just a few days before the announcement I messaged Pebble through the KS page saying I wanted a refund on one of my two that were pledged because my brother wasn't interested in receiving one anymore and the lack of news in November didn't help (but that I was still looking forward to getting mine).

They replied and said no problem, and that I'd get a refund processed through KS within 2 weeks. Of course they didn't say anything about the Fitbit news since it wasn't public yet, and I started to regret not asking for both to be refunded and just pay retail when the PT2 finally did show up in stores, but I soldiered on and moved my OG. A day or two later they announced the acquisition, and I thought I'd have to wait until March to get the second one refunded as well (before they publicly walked that back to "2 weeks"). I got a refund on both in one transaction a little more than a week later when the first other people started getting theirs.

That's my boring story. Godspeed to you on getting back what you're owed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not true, a lot of banks/credit cards in a lot of countries will absolutely do a chargeback for poo poo like this, gently caress Kickstarter, their terms of service don't override consumer rights.

What consumer rights? You didn't buy anything through kickstarter. You donated money to a company in the hopes you would get a gift at the end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

What consumer rights? You didn't buy anything through kickstarter. You donated money to a company in the hopes you would get a gift at the end.

Consumer protection laws of a country or entity like the EU override whatever terms of service a site like Kickstarter has. Hell, my banks own policies do, hence why my chargeback was instantly approved and refunded.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
With that logic every failed kickstarter would be refundable via chargebacks, and make the whole thing unviable. What exactly do people think they're getting when they give money to a kickstarter?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll let you bring it up with my bank if you want, but the reason used to instantly refund me was "failure to receive merchandise paid for"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

With that logic every failed kickstarter would be refundable via chargebacks, and make the whole thing unviable. What exactly do people think they're getting when they give money to a kickstarter?

Kickstarter says it's not a store, but it operates an awful lot like a store. Kind of like how Uber says it's drivers aren't employees, but they look a lot like employees. They're getting all the benefits of being one thing while insisting they're something else.

I agree with what you're saying, but there's a reason why Kickstarter clamped down on campaigns. Liability for failed crowdfunding campaigns is a ticking time bomb and at some point a campaign is going to fail spectacularly enough to end up in court.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Also, especially in this case, it kind of came out of nowhere. This wasn't a completely new startup. This was pebbles 3rd campaign after setting two KS records previously, I believe. You had every reason to believe it'd come out.

Maybe I'm overestimating pebble but I actually thought it was kinda odd they even used KS this time around. Seems like this is one advantage why, if true.

I'm sure it's super hard to run a business and compete with big boys like Apple but they got millions upon millions and I just wonder where it went. They must have been comfortable enough at some point not to well to Citizen.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The fact that they were still Kickstarting after being around so long was worrying to me. Like, use that to get your company off the ground and running . Having to continually do that makes it sound like you don't have enough money on hand to operate like a normal business.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
They claimed (or strongly implied) at the time that they had no need to Kickstart whatsoever as of KS-2, and doing so was just a fun little way to enable fan preorders and pay homage to their initial KS success. "A way to give back to the community" or some bullshit.

Of course, leaks after the fact demonstrate that they were pretty much always hemorrhaging money and likely did not have the money to produce the Time 2, even after the third KS.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Isn't this the same company that failed to ship its kickstarter backers watches months after they had been available at bestbuy and the like, multiple times?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yep

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarting the Pebble Time and Pebble Time II got them plenty of press and I'm sure they got a pretty good deal from Kickstarter. Maybe not a discount on fees, but they received a whole lot of free advertising space on the website.

It can be a good way to build excitement even if you don't need the seed money. My co-worker already has one of those fiddle cubes for spastic people and I think that Kickstarter ended in October or November. So that company already had a product primed and ready to go when it's campaign ended.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea Kickstarter can work when a competent company is using it. Unfortunately that doesn't describe Pebble

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MjolnirMan posted:

They claimed (or strongly implied) at the time that they had no need to Kickstart whatsoever as of KS-2, and doing so was just a fun little way to enable fan preorders and pay homage to their initial KS success. "A way to give back to the community" or some bullshit.

Of course, leaks after the fact demonstrate that they were pretty much always hemorrhaging money and likely did not have the money to produce the Time 2, even after the third KS.
I recall seeing warning signs in the press shortly before the Kickstarter, but I don't remember anything specific.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Kickstarter says it's not a store, but it operates an awful lot like a store. Kind of like how Uber says it's drivers aren't employees, but they look a lot like employees. They're getting all the benefits of being one thing while insisting they're something else.

This, this, a thousand times this. If KS didn't want to be perceived as a store, then they should stop allowing "rewards" that look exactly like an order page where creators list exactly what you get and your percentage discount over MSRP.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The king is dead, long live the king?

After a rough patch, Fitbit will start making smartwatches
http://mashable.com/2017/01/30/fitbit-to-make-smartwatches/#ULLOJ4K_VOqT

quote:

Fitbit co-founder and CEO James Park announced the company's plans for expansion into the smartwatch space in this morning's release: "We believe we are uniquely positioned to succeed in delivering what consumers are looking for in a smartwatch: stylish, well-designed devices that combine the right general-purpose functionality with a focus on health and fitness," he said.

Also note the reports that Google is going to introduce two watches partnered with LG in about a week called the Style and Sport, and Huawei is also apparently going to update their line this month.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I'm guessing that Fitbit are planning on hybridising the Pebble software and the Vector device designs into some kind of really nice super smart watch, which is not a terrible strategy, but it sucks for owners of either. I still like my Vector though, even without software updates it looks good and never needs charging, and does the basics it needs to do (telling time and flashing up notifications while I'm at my desk with my phone on silent)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They'll probably do well if they release an affordable smart watch with basic functionality on top of Fitbit's usual stuff. If they are trying to make a $250+ watch to compete with Apple or Android then uh good luck with that.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Selling a black Pebble Time Round with minimal wear and tear. Comes with black leather strap band that it came with and charger. $55 shipped firm on price.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Please continue to speak so firmly, rear end Catchcum.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got a 50 dollar off deal in my email for a fitbit. I'm tempted but I hear the quality control leaves something to be desired on these things.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lord Lambeth posted:

I got a 50 dollar off deal in my email for a fitbit. I'm tempted but I hear the quality control leaves something to be desired on these things.

Same here, but it just made the one I wanted the same price as Amazon or Costco.

Give me my Fitbit Time, dammit! :argh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Can you get notifications easily on Fitbit things? Like I have the Xiaomi Band 2 which I can get notifications through a 3rd party app, it would maybe be worth getting a fitbit if it works natively.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm really, really happy with my Fitbit Charge 2nd generation. That said, it's not a smart watch replacement.

If you were thinking about getting a really good fitness/sleep tracker buy it, it's a good deal, just don't think it will replace your Pebble.

edit: Wow, they are extending this way back, I received the promo and I have only owned the original Pebble. I might pick up another one for a gift/resale. That is a solid $25 discount on the Charge HR 2 or Fitbit Flex 2 which is really decent. Might just pick up the Flex 2 for pool season.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 18, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My Fitbit Charge HR 2 is okay for reading messages. The mega small screen works as much as you'd expect it to for reading messages. Like 3O said, don't expect it as a replacement for a smartwatch (or the pebble even).

I wouldnt say quality control leaves something to be desired. It has a much more ritzy feel than my Pebble classic. But the software is designed for a different audience, so seriously dont go in expecting otherwise.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
It came out today that Fitbit paid $23M for Pebble.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fitbit-bought-pebble-for-23-million-2017-2

quote:

A source close to the company told TechCrunch that watch maker Citizen was interested in purchasing Pebble for $740 million in 2015. This deal failed and before the launch of the Pebble 2 Intel made an offer for $70 million. The CEO, Eric Migicovsky refused both offers. Our source said that Fitbit is now paying between $34 and $40 million for the company and is “barely covering their debts.”

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/30/fitbit-pebble/

:aaaaa:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man, Citizen-owned pebble could've given us something amazing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hubris is a motherfucker. The second gen Pebble stuff looked nice, but was hardly the kind of revolutionary design that was going to suddenly make them bank. Not sure what they were thinking passing up those offers, but seems like a recurring theme in the tech industry.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Hubris is a motherfucker. The second gen Pebble stuff looked nice, but was hardly the kind of revolutionary design that was going to suddenly make them bank. Not sure what they were thinking passing up those offers, but seems like a recurring theme in the tech industry.

Part of it is probably the ego/disillusionment that you could be the next Jobs. Pebble basically kick started the whole wearables category, and if you're fully immersed in that (from a founder's perspective) it's easy to see that your impression of the potential could be out of whack with reality. In that situation you probably don't want to go down in history as "the guy who started a category but sold out" rather than "battled through adversity and came out the other side a winner".

In a lot of ways I still think Pebble is objectively the best smartwatch, hamstrung by OS restrictions that are out of their control. But that's a battle they were never going to win on iOS, up against the first-party competition.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Froist posted:

In a lot of ways I still think Pebble is objectively the best smartwatch, hamstrung by OS restrictions that are out of their control.

I had a cell phone spontaneously die on me recently, which left me smartphone-less for about 24 hours. I just turned my Time's Bluetooth off and kept using it, because it's a slightly clunky but fantastic digital watch on its own with multiple alarms and an easy-to-use timer.

It's the one thing that everybody (besides Vector) seems to forget. Build a good watch, and THEN make it a smartwatch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I had a cell phone spontaneously die on me recently, which left me smartphone-less for about 24 hours. I just turned my Time's Bluetooth off and kept using it, because it's a slightly clunky but fantastic digital watch on its own with multiple alarms and an easy-to-use timer.
Are there any smart watches that won't do that? I know Apple watches let you do that, and I'm 99% sure Samsung ones do, too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Every time I see that this thread has a new post, I hope that someone is posting a new watch that's functionally similar to a Pebble that they've found.

Not yet. :smith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Every time I see that this thread has a new post, I hope that someone is posting a new watch that's functionally similar to a Pebble that they've found.

Not yet. :smith:
I think the problem is that few people are going to be like "Yeah, let me invest money in being the replacement for this brand that crashed and burned!" even though it's not a terrible idea when you consider the void Pebble leaves in affordable smartwatches. For around $100 it was a really solid feature set.

At this point any spiritual successor to Pebble is likely going to be whatever Fit Bit does with the brand.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pants Donkey posted:

I think the problem is that few people are going to be like "Yeah, let me invest money in being the replacement for this brand that crashed and burned!" even though it's not a terrible idea when you consider the void Pebble leaves in affordable smartwatches. For around $100 it was a really solid feature set.

At this point any spiritual successor to Pebble is likely going to be whatever Fit Bit does with the brand.

Yeah, you make a good point. I hope they throw us a bone somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was actually eyeing up Garmin watches. The battery life, weather, and notification features would probably be good enough for me. However, I think I'll be in a holding pattern until either my Pebble stops working or Fitbit makes a move, whichever happens first.

• Locked thread