Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pebble 2.0 is apparent live in the Apple Store but I don't see it, anyone having any luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Three Olives posted:

Pebble 2.0 is apparent live in the Apple Store but I don't see it, anyone having any luck?

Not me. Apple does staggered rollouts so by the end of the day we should all see it.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Just went live for me. The upgrade process and store are pretty slick. The app is a little sluggish, but definitely usable.

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 3, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have it now and I am really impressed by how filled out the app store already is. I have noticed that there is a little bit of lag in the menus but other than that it seems solid. I don't know how I would use it but the Yelp application is pretty impressive and doesn't need the Yelp iPhone app to function. It also automatically updated my old watch faces to the 2.0 version and I'm glad to kick HTTPebble to the curb.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 3, 2014

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I have it now and I am really impressed by how filled out the app store already is.

Anything interesting beyond scorekeeper apps and stopwatches?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Anything interesting beyond scorekeeper apps and stopwatches?

It looks like there are a few fitness trackers, I can't figure out if they get accelerometer data in the background or they have to be active to work, I suspect they have to be active. One nice thing is you can configure the watch faces in the iOS app. Oh and there is finally a way to see the watch battery meter.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you get the Kronos app for pebble. (Sonos controller)?

I got it and all it does is say it's connecting to Sonos for... well, a looong rear end time. If I press any buttons it says that Kronos App Crashed... Press any Button.

Anyone had any different experiences? Or know if I need to do something special?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Feenix posted:

Any of you get the Kronos app for pebble. (Sonos controller)?

I got it and all it does is say it's connecting to Sonos for... well, a looong rear end time. If I press any buttons it says that Kronos App Crashed... Press any Button.

Anyone had any different experiences? Or know if I need to do something special?

I'm guessing it is the same issue I was having with the FourSquare app, you download it and there is absolutely no indication that you must configure it in the Pebble app on your phone before it doesn't just look broken.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Apparently Letsmuv users are getting coupon codes for $30 off a steel in feb. Via email? Anyone have a spare code?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Did anyone on android download the appstore/2.0 beta? Not sure if I should wait for the official version or how long off that might be.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
There's a really nice bus/tube/train status checker and live timetable app for London. Well worth the update to 2.0 for that alone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Update on the Kronos/Sonos crash. I emailed the creator and he replied immediately apologizing but saying a companion app was needed (and was coming).

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

mcpringles posted:

Did anyone on android download the appstore/2.0 beta? Not sure if I should wait for the official version or how long off that might be.

It's really quite buggy: a lot of apps that work fine on iPhone (requiring Internet access) are quite broken on Android. The web store / the entire app is nearly unbearably slow on a Nexus 5.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Evil Robot posted:

It's really quite buggy: a lot of apps that work fine on iPhone (requiring Internet access) are quite broken on Android. The web store / the entire app is nearly unbearably slow on a Nexus 5.

Actually this has been an annoying thing on the iOS version, it is laggy as hell. I have never used an app on my iPhone 5 that regularly runs this slowly.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Is there a web front end to their app store? Browsing it on the phone is kind of painful. I didn't see one, but I'm hoping it's out there and I just missed it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is there a web front end to their app store? Browsing it on the phone is kind of painful. I didn't see one, but I'm hoping it's out there and I just missed it.
It took them almost a year after beginning shipping to finally have any kind of app store at all. A Web frontend for it will probably be heading our way sometime in between 2015 and The Jetsons.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone gotten the Pebblebucks app to pull their balance? The barcode works fine, but it always shows $0 / 0 stars.

fork banger
Jan 3, 2001

If anyone wants to have a RSS reader on their watch (multiple sources), this thing works a treat for poop sessions.

http://pblweb.com/appstore/52f9c21e8bc57c9c820000db/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is there a way to make the Pebble app stay active on IOS? I use the "Modern" watchface with the weather, and the weather only updates if I open up the Pebble app. It works that way for the other ones with the weather setting as well.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I have large wrists, 8 - 8 1/12". I'm having a hard time finding a rubber or silicone strap that fits me. Anyone else have any luck? All I can use is the stock strap on the very last hole.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

shoophobo posted:

I have large wrists, 8 - 8 1/12". I'm having a hard time finding a rubber or silicone strap that fits me. Anyone else have any luck? All I can use is the stock strap on the very last hole.

Back when they were making them for kick starters, at one point they gave an option for a larger band. I got one, it came as an extra. It was like 3 dollars. Do they not offer that anymore?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Feenix posted:

Back when they were making them for kick starters, at one point they gave an option for a larger band. I got one, it came as an extra. It was like 3 dollars. Do they not offer that anymore?

Not that I know of, but I got mine from Best Buy.
I did come across this: http://www.richardtracybrand.com/products/wide-body-watch-strap-for-pebble
They come in long sizes, but I'm not sure if I'll like the wider size, anyone here have one that can comment?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Still kinda mad that when my coworker excitedly told me a month ago that the new Pebble update was downloadable, I just thought the Android market was slow to respond. Then I got more mad when Pebble sent out that email saying "GET IT NOW! (unless you're on Android, whoopsie, be ready soon), and still nothing.

All that especially because I felt that the watch connection was more reliable and robust way back when I first got it, before they started improving iOS support and seemingly degrading Android functionality. My watch seemed to connect less often without manual intervention, and be out of date with its own status all the time, claiming it was still connected when it definitely wasn't.

Since then I've switched from an HTC Evo 4G LTE to a Samsung Galaxy S4, and most of my connection issues have gone away. So maybe it was the phone degrading somehow. Still though,I hate waiting so long to get the update that iOS already has.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
You should be happy they're working more on it: the current beta release is very close to unusably slow / battery draining on Android. It sucks that it's taken them this long but I understand that a startup with not so many engineers can't be working on everything.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
My Pebble has been in a drawer for 4 months now.

They updated the app and it became such a hassle to get it to talk to the watch that I just decided to gently caress it and stop using it.

Great concept ruined by xda-quality devs.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I picked one up recently. It's really huge on my wrist, then again I've used my phone as my watch for a number of years now.

I got a white one off craigslist, I'd have chosen any other color but meh. I ordered a new NATO band and it'll be here soon-ish.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

They put the "2.0" update out for Android. Runs pretty well.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Doesn't work too well for me, the app runs god awfully. Slow, buggy, and I couldn't click any buttons until I rebooted the app.

Heck, the watchface I was using before got ruined too and now has less options. I can't find anything involving beaming any notification I want to the watch, which is something I thought would come built-in (the only option is a $1.99 link on the appstore that just leads to the play store.)

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
I got a Jawbone Up24 and it wants to be on the same wrist as my Pebble, which looks weird... so I thought about what I use my Pebble for, and it's mostly just in my car, so I attached it to the center of my steering wheel where a nicer car would have music controls... so now I do! Plus I can see my notifications much easier while I am driving.

I think for $150 a bluetooth miniature screen for controlling music and seeing your phone notifications on your steering wheel isn't a total wash...

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I bought a pebble and hell Ill be straight with you: I would have been better off buying a pebble in the sense of an actual rock, that this piece of poo poo!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Barfoid 3 posted:

I bought a pebble and hell Ill be straight with you: I would have been better off buying a pebble in the sense of an actual rock, that this piece of poo poo!

Can you elaborate on why you don't like it?

I think that this is one of the better useless gadgets that I've purchased. Yes, I could absolutely live without it, but I find it quite handy.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I just bought a pebble, and to be 100% honest, I really like it.

The only real issue I have with it is that the plastic version looks like such utter poo poo compared to the metal one that it may as well not exist, and the metal one is just too expensive. I wear "nicer" watches everyday normally, and while I won't wear this out with my buddies or to anything formal, I would have zero issue wearing the steel version to work, running, etc. I much more reliably feel the vibration from the watch on my wrist then my phone vibrating, which also reduces the constant battery drain from turning the phone screen on and off.

That said, the standard version is definitely going back, and I can't see myself paying $250 for the steel when the Moto 360 is around the corner - If I can score a used one for around $175, I'll be good.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

With the release of the apple watch coming out next year, does anyone think that the Pebble will survive?

I still really like mine, and I like the price point, but now there is a smart watch for both IOS and Android, and they look nicer.

Looks wise, I think the Moto360 is the best looking one, but I can't comment as to how well they work.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My favorite thing about my pebble is that its a watch first and a bluetooth accessory second. I know (probably) most people prefer having a second phone with a color screen on their wrist but I don't want to wear any watch that isn't:
  1. Waterproof
  2. Can be easily read in full sun
  3. Can go most of a week without charging
It doesn't hurt that the pebble also has a replaceable band or yhat the wrist flick has changed my life.

...but try telling that to the "why would you wear a watch when you can just fish the phone out of your pocket and press a button every time you want to know what time it is?" crowd.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cat Hatter posted:

...but try telling that to the "why would you wear a watch when you can [put down whatever you might be holding so that you can] just fish the phone out of your pocket and press a button every time you want to know what time it is?" crowd.

Don't forget the preamble, which I've added for you.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cat Hatter posted:

...but try telling that to the "why would you wear a watch when you can just fish the phone out of your pocket and press a button every time you want to know what time it is?" crowd.

Worked pretty well during the time of pocketwatches, looks like it's coming back now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

With the release of the apple watch coming out next year, does anyone think that the Pebble will survive?

I still really like mine, and I like the price point, but now there is a smart watch for both IOS and Android, and they look nicer.

Looks wise, I think the Moto360 is the best looking one, but I can't comment as to how well they work.

Well they are the only one with solid iOS support and the Apple watch is going to start at $350 so if they can use their lead to cut the cost on their watches significantly I think they will be fine.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Radbot posted:

Worked pretty well during the time of pocketwatches, looks like it's coming back now.

Riding horses also worked well until someone invented something more convenient.

Edit: Wearing a wristwatch is so much more convenient that if the person next to you notices that you're wearing one they'll often ask you what time it is instead of checking it on their phone, which decreases the convenience a bit for us watch-wearers.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 12, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So after all the first-gen android wear and apple stuff... I'm using a Pebble Steel for the foreseeable future.

Although it will be nice to have Android Wear eventually, I prefer the week-long+ battery life and smaller form factor to enhanced functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
For me, the battery life is trumping pretty much everything else right now. The fact that all of the new Wear devices and the Watchtm need a charge every day is a non-starter for me. Totally expected, but it makes me pretty happy that I'll be able to stick with my Pebble for probably another year at least.

• Locked thread