Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My favorite thing about my pebble is that its a watch first and a bluetooth accessory second. I know (probably) most people prefer having a second phone with a color screen on their wrist but I don't want to wear any watch that isn't:
  1. Waterproof
  2. Can be easily read in full sun
  3. Can go most of a week without charging
It doesn't hurt that the pebble also has a replaceable band or yhat the wrist flick has changed my life.

...but try telling that to the "why would you wear a watch when you can just fish the phone out of your pocket and press a button every time you want to know what time it is?" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Radbot posted:

Worked pretty well during the time of pocketwatches, looks like it's coming back now.

Riding horses also worked well until someone invented something more convenient.

Edit: Wearing a wristwatch is so much more convenient that if the person next to you notices that you're wearing one they'll often ask you what time it is instead of checking it on their phone, which decreases the convenience a bit for us watch-wearers.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 12, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The Pebble absolutely has an accelerometer built in, that's why it knows that you've flicked your wrist for the backlight to come on. I just fiddled with the pedometer app I have (with my phone's bluetooth off) and it only registered about half of my steps but in its defence I was walking back and forth on carpet trying not to wake up my wife and I could have increased the sensitivity had I wanted. It's probably about as good as any pedometer worn on the wrist instead of on a shoe.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Mine lasts most of a week whether I wear it to bed or not. As for screen protectors, I use one by Skinomi. Its more expensive than a regular screen protector but I've already had it replaced twice under the lifetime warranty.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Calaveron posted:

So how reliable is the pebble time for counting calories and tracking sleep and stuff? Thought you needed the fancy metal diodes and bright green lasers stuff like fitbit and basis have in order to do that. And does using a nato band affect any of that stuff?

I have Plexfit on my OG Pebble and the step counter is very accurate most of the time but it won't be able to read your heart rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The funny thing is my first Pebble had a perfect screen for well over a year when one of the buttons stopped working. The one they sent me to replace it developed the screen issue after a few months though.

• Locked thread