Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Engadget has some hands-on pictures with the new Steel:

I've already upgraded my pledge to the Steel because of the extra battery life but I'm still on the fence about the bezel. The ratio between frame and bezel on the normal Time is enough that you don't really notice either, but it's hard to overlook how small the screen looks compared to the frame around it on the Steel. At least this time the Steel comes with a metal strap instead of it being an upsell...?

Don Lapre posted:

If the plastic one doesn't have a glass screen and the steel does then thats worth it to me.
According to the Kickstarter page, both have a glass screen with steel bezel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises posted:

Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel is stylish and durable. The lens is crafted from scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass with a bezel made of stainless steel.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Alright, I'll play along:

Battery Lifetime
Javapay
Simple Stopwatch
Compass

And my watchface is and always will be Modern Revisited

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Just a heads up, the Pebble Time campaign closes in a few hours. Here's one last update before then with some pictures of actual physical watches (with simulated screens, apparently): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises/posts/1179422?ref=backer_project_update

I'll probably stick with the silver Steel but that gold-with-red-strap looks gorgeous and is making me reconsider...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Drastic Actions posted:

Finally got my Time. It works. Installed a unofficial Japanese language pack so I could get notifications I could read. Having an always on screen is still nicer than the Apple Watch and my GWatch. The animations are cute, but makes it feel a little slower than the original to me. Feels nicer than my original Pebble. Nothing else to really say about it I guess :shrug:.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I can also say it's way more useful on Android than iOS.
Would you happen to have a link to that language pack? I was hoping for 1st-party support for the entirety of CJK (Chinese language support but no Japanese language support? :wtc:) so I'm kinda disappointed to hear that I have to go with something unofficial...but at this point anything is better than boxes.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

How do I set this thing to not vibrate at 2 AM when I get a work email without turning off Outlook notifications entirely? I have a Moto X running Lollipop if that matters.
I set up my phone to disable Bluetooth from 10pm to 6am every night using Sony's Smart Connect app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware

You could use Tasker or whatever you wanted, the idea is to set up a scheduled task to nuke Bluetooth so your watch doesn't buzz at night. My last phone was an Xperia which is how I found out about Connect. It was way easier for me to use so I stuck with it when I changed phones.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

I haven't got the Time yet (waiting on the Steel version), but on the B&W Pebble there's a "Do Not Disturb" option in Menu -> Settings ->Notifications. Don't tell me they've removed that functionality...
Are you kidding me? :doh: How long has that been there?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I really like Timer+ for general timer needs: https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/54a1ba1afc5f23e4c000012d

And JavaPay is awesome if you have a Starbucks card: https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/54527bf9d692a12cfa000081

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

boz posted:

My favorites are DIN Time and timestyle
DIN Time is nice and all but what is the deal with the settings page being a literal website on the internet? I couldn't change settings when I first loaded the watchface last week because the settings page kept timing out. :wtc:

Other than that I like it, I can't wait for my Time Steel to arrive so I can enjoy it in color.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Last email I got said that I'd probably have a tracking number in September. Not have the watch, mind you, just the tracking number. Time to cancel.
If it's any consolation I just received my shipping notification this morning. I too was beginning to lose hope that I'd see anything before October. My Steel should arrive by Monday, so if you're in/near California you might get your shipping notice any day now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Huh, so the Round is official. I get the feeling this is Pebble's attempt to cater to Android Wear because the the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Round was the Moto 360. But what confuses me the most is how they thought they could justify the $250 price tag. For the same price I could have a watch that gets 400% more battery life, more water resistance, and more screen real estate for notification text. It's almost a no-brainer!

Maybe I'm just not the target market - for me, in the case of a smartwatch, function has always been preferable to form. The less I have to worry about maintaining my watch the better, so the Pebble has been a no-brainer for me since the original Kickstarter campaign.

Also, is there really that much of a stigma around square watches?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 23, 2015

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

xlevus posted:

And has anybody ever got voice replies to work? Neither I nor my Wife have.
I used it once to reply to a Hangouts message. It worked alright - it seemed there was second or two at the beginning where it didn't hear what I said, so it only captured and displayed the end of my reply. I was left feeling like I'd need to play around with it a bit to figure out the best way to use it.

Related to that, does anyone know if the mic feeds your audio data to Google's voice recognition? I was surprised at how quickly my voice was rendered into text - surely the watch itself, or even the Pebble app, isn't responsible for that?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Anyone received their bands with their kickstarter steel?
Nothing yet, not even an update email. Here's hoping sometime this week they'll have an update for us.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Virion posted:

They said they were shipping as they received them. They're probably doing so without a tracking number, as I just received my steel finish band in the mail today. I was a bit later in the delivery for the Steel so maybe they're nearing the end of bands too.
Well I'll be damned, mine showed up today too. I didn't see any additional info on my Kickstarter confirmation page beyond the original tracking for the watch itself, so I guess it's just a matter of time until everyone gets theirs.

Edit: Just FYI the screwdriver that came with the Pebble Steel watch band can be used to adjust the Pebble Time Steel band. It's really precise but it'll fit.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 20, 2015

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've backed all three Pebble Kickstarter campaigns and have been a huge evangelist of Pebble since Day 1, but even I'm considering asking for a refund in light of the acquisition rumors. Even if the Pebble Time 2's get delivered, every watch will be crippled without a company maintaining server infrastructure to serve up additional apps and watchfaces. I guess the silver lining to an actual acquisition would be Pebble open-sourcing their backend software to allow the community to maintain an ecosystem, but even I have a hard time believing that'd ever happen with Fitbit at the helm :sigh:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
It's all but official at this point: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/pebble-said-to-discuss-selling-software-assets-to-fitbit

Pebble done hosed up. That's what you get when you have too many engineers and not enough business people on a team, especially one that deals with hardware.

I guess the best course of action will be to wait a year or so for the Fitbit Blaze 2 or whatever to come out :(

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dali Parton posted:

Time for a nautically appropriate thread title change?
Pebble thread: Early adopters went down with ship

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have yet to receive my refund - what are my options at this point? On the 7th Pebble said Kickstarter would process all eligible refunds in a week, then it could take up to 10 business days. The 10th business day was yesterday and I've yet to see a refund.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Talk to your bank, initiate a dispute.
Good call. Amex initially balked that the dispute wasn't initiated within 60 days of the charge (lol) but after a bit of waiting the rep I spoke with made a "one time exception" and said they'd open a dispute.

So now we wait...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Get a time machine and stop donating your money to companies on kickstarter.
Strangely enough I'd have let this go as "welp, that's what I get for Kickstartering something". But when they start throwing around promises of refunds then you'd better believe I'm going to get my money back :colbert:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Amex closed my dispute because Kickstarter said they don't owe me poo poo. What the gently caress do I do now? :qq:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Learn to never ever, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.
Hey man, two out of three Pebble Times shipped, I've been doing pretty good so far :suicide:

I've known full well how Kickstarter works since the beginning. Ironically, I wouldn't still be trying for a refund if Pebble hadn't said one should be coming...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get a new credit card/bank? TD Visa refunded me instantly. Or, don't back a Kickstarter ever again.
Yeah, it's like Amex completely ignored all the evidence I sent them just because Kickstarter responded to the dispute with "WELL HE AGREED TO THE ToS!" I disputed the resolution and uploaded some additional screenshots of Pebble's promise to issue a refund through Kickstarter, we'll see how round two goes.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Did you email pebble? They handled my refund not KS.
Who did you email? I got the impression Pebble wasn't talking to anyone anymore and that I had to go through Kickstarter's support.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

It's weird to me that Amex wouldn't back you in this case. I thought the whole point of Amex was that you get way better customer service at the expense of not being able to use it at a bunch of stores because they charge more money to pay for that amazing customer service. If they don't have that or the Costco deal anymore, what's the point?
My impression was that the agent I worked with to file the original dispute didn't include any of the evidence I sent them at the time, and so all Amex had to go off of was KS's statement that I'm a stupid idiot who agreed to throw his money away.

Fortunately I was able to reopen the dispute last night, and the agent helped me submit screenshots and links for both Update 17 (the KS update detailing the refund process) and Pebble's own KS-specific support page listing refund details. Amex followed up shortly afterwards requesting that I submit, in writing, my side of things so that they can look into this issue more cloesly.

I'm a bit miffed I've been put on the defensive, but I'm more optimistic than I was when I received the initial dispute resolution. Fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

A major update has been released for the Android and iOS apps:
This is surprising, I figured Fitbit would half-rear end things and leave it up to the "community" to handle this stuff once they shut the servers off.

• Locked thread