Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I saw Madness's thread in SA mart and said "you know, there needs to be a pebble thread". For it being 1+ years out and them earning so much money, I am basically shocked they didn't consult like, anyone else who has ever released a product, or fixed dumb poo poo like every notification saying "new mail" with a letter icon.

My favorite face is this domo kun "noms" face because it chomps the time every minute.

If you're talking to someone in the car (a passenger) while a GPS app like google maps is directing you somewhere, it's nice to enable notifications for it so that you can see the next street on your wrist. I wonder if I can get a small sheet of Invisible Shield or something to apply to the face. Mine doesn't have any scratches (that's rain in the img) but I have a feeling it might soon.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

On Amazon Skinomi seems to be selling them for $7 + 3 shipping. That seems doable.

e: Now with Prime.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 20, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

SyRauk posted:

It's now late May and their orders shipped status has yet to be updated afaik. I am not an original kickstarter backer.

Edit: From @pebble twitter yesterday: "We are currently planning our transition to pre-orders, among many other things."

My batch of 4 kickstarter coworkers have only gotten 2/4. As I understand it, no Pebbles will ship to anyone outside of backers until they're finished with their color processes. I think what they're up to right now is finishing red and orange, then gray and white. They should have a ample supply of black. What color did you get?

The number one place I go for Pebble status information is their "updates" page on their original Kickstarter page. They don't tend to respond on Twitter unless you're praising it.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 20, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

They're on their last new color production (white) and within the next two weeks will probably have satisfied all Kickstarter stuff. Soon after that the preorders will start to get shipping notices.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I hope the mobile app adds a watch face tile gallery with more than 8 slots. There's very little reason, since you can only hold 8 faces on the watch, why you shouldn't just be able to store the others in the Pebble mobile app and highlight the ones that are "enabled" and sync. Rather than me just storing the others in the downloads of another browser app until I'm ready to juggle them to the middleman Pebble app, deleting others to store new ones. That's overly tedious.

I'm also hoping there will be better notification support in iOS announced on Monday for satellite devices. Re-enabling notifications for every third party app every time I connect the Pebble is really the only thing I don't like about it.

They're going so slow with dev ease and getting their product to market that other products will replace it before it gets more useful than it is now. I'm sure by this time next year there will be clones from Casio/Sanyo/Coby for $99. And this will be seen as an early adopter's watch with a dead soldered battery. Fingers crossed that this isn't the case.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

xamphear posted:

Long shot, but have any of you guys tried developing an app for the watch?
I just followed this guy's tutorial of how to locally make and build a WWDC 13 countdown watch face "app". If any of you want to install the one I compiled, it's here. It's useless unless you're an Apple fan boy about to wet yourself about Monday's news.

The tutorial is hilarious because you spend an hour googling why your local $PATH & ./profile may or may not be in sync (answer: for 10.7 & 10.8 I needed to modify /private/etc/paths), or why GCC is barfing (because I didn't un-tar things using the command line)... and then once you get to the end he says "I'm not going to explain my code." But it's a fun start!

SyRauk posted:

My pre-order, from back in August, just shipped out. Please don't tell me it's poo poo.
I love my Pebble. If and when the batt dies I'll break out the soldering iron and fix it.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

For me the band is fine, I'm just puzzled about why the body is so big.

Going wider to compensate seems like the wrong idea and approaches industrial/goth cuff or club or something, which is fine if you're about that.
I haven't seen a better solution than leaving it stock; if you have, please post it.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kazy posted:

or one of those black metal bands.
You mean the segmented retractable ones? Here's a page of them.
They seem to have a lot of orange bands here Who knows what kind of orange it is, though.

Prices seem pretty salty. Just gotta find the Amazon equivalents.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

what's the communication like leading up to delivery?
"Your Pebble is shipping soon". 7 days later: tracking number. 2 days later, Pebble.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

"Here's your tracking number and the website of Singapore Post to follow it on."
That's pretty interesting. Everyone I know (mind you- I'm counting on one hand) had theirs shipped from California. City of Industry maybe.

vv Edit: :doh: Why do I assume all goons / frivolous kickstarter-purchasers are US? Forgive me.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I just got this in the mail. It's $8 on Amazon and comes in a variety of colors.

Futura Weather face, possible with httpebble (App Store | Play), which rules.

Others' favorites from the Replacement watch bands thread:

Fossil Heirloom, Eichmueller black steel, and NATO James Bond 9-stripe (history)

No new notification ease on iOS 7 so far; I bet the Pebble app has to be updated to use it explicitly.
Seems like you can have fun with Smartwatch+ if you're jailbroken.

This guy is on a mission to make a Pebble Watch Face SDK Tutorial series; parts 1-3 are up.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The user comment history for /u/teampebble on reddit gives more recent insight than many other resources. They tend to respond there too, and in a less curt way than their founder.

I like my Pebble and don't fear it getting rapidly outmoded (similar to an old iPod nano, it will remain useful so long as battery repair isn't improbable), I just wish demand was satisfied. It should be in Target by now.

e:spelling

kuskus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 27, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Excluding white, every KS backer I know has theirs as of yesterday.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The Pebble's appearance initially reminded me of those sunglasses you could buy from Pizza Hut in the 80's, so I had to make this. watchface-generator.de is a lot of fun.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if your Best Buy had some on shelves right now. Lots of reports coming in confirming that, even if calling the store wrongly returns that they won't be out until tomorrow.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

On iOS your per-app notification settings reset every time you disconnect the device. It's still neat and advantageous to have. There won't be a great sea change until both iOS 7 have been out and the final Pebble SDK is released so people can harness it. So basically, not until maybe November. The battery life is great though, get in now it you're interested.

I used watchgenerator to make myself a few barcode-only faces for things, so if I'm on a run, otherwise penniless, and in desperate need of an espresso macchiato I'll survive.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I still haven't given a "college try" to coding original faces for poo poo, but by using Photoshop and watchface-generator.de I've made a few keychain tags obsolete (Kroger Plus, gym, etc) by using straight-up 1:1 images and 2-color GIFs. Here's a design I made for my Starbucks card (PSD if you like). I just screenshotted the barcode in the Starbucks app, adjusted the Levels sliders to crush out any greys, then resized the vertically to 168px. Sending 144x168 gifs to w-g doesn't introduce any distortion. Works at the register and if not, the number is a fallback.

If you're a wiseguy, there's no money on that card, just an example.

Edit: If you're resizing assets in PS to pop onto a face, when you go to Image Size you need to Resample Image to Nearest Neighbor (Preserve Hard Edges) to get them to shrink without anti-aliasing.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks, C U l8r, kitten smoothie.

• Locked thread