Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I've been wanting one for awhile, but the current one just didn't work for me as far as style goes and I was worried about scratching up the plastic screen. $100 extra is a bit steep, but it's still $100 cheaper than the competition and looks a hell of a lot better doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just realized that the head of the watch is a proprietary design which limits the strap options to just the included ones. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me as I would really want a fabric band to use when I'm bike riding or doing other outdoor activity stuff. If it could take universal straps, i would be ordering one right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AFewBricksShy posted:

You can use any 22mm watch band, but they will sit the same as the standard band does. I saw someone that had modded a wider watch band so that the band was even with the edges of the watch.

I'm not talking about the current one, I'm talking about the steel one. It look like it uses a proprietary connector. You need a watch band with two tabs as the watch head has a connector in the center as well as either end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's why I was excited about the matte black version. It would have been the perfect chameleon watch. With the metal band, you could use it with a suit. With a nylon band, it would look at home in the outdoors.

I just hate shiny plastic and really dislike the lack of a glass screen on the current one. It's not horribly ugly by any means, but it's not an all occasion watch like this could have been. I keep hoping there's some detail about the design that I overlooked and it can accept universal bands so I could order it, but it doesn't look to be the case.

Personally, I think they are doing this so that they can setup an accessory store for the watch as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Memory is actually doubled on the steel.

The price is a tad on the high side, but not too bad. Most lower end fashion watches start around $100. If you make the assumption that most of the pebble's current price is from the tech, the price premium for the steel makes a bit more sense.

Still looks like a bargain compared to the Torque or Galaxy Gear.

• Locked thread