Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The firmware for 4.0 just hit. Biggest change is the app menu being a list of four apps at once rather than just one app per screen. Also apps can have "glances" or a little bit of information below them in the menu (for example now settings shows battery life without having to open the app). Also instead of going tomoast events in timeline, pressing up just goes to the Health app (which has gotten a fancy new UI). I think you can also assign app shortcuts to all four buttons instead of just up and down.

And something about letting iOS fiddle with emails now, but it's a preview feature so no clue how much you can do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A real shame, as I think the Pebble is a really good "baby's first smartwatch" that lets you see if it's the kind of thing you want before throwing hundreds into an Apple or Android watch. For some, a notifications device with some basic fitness tracking and other small frills is all you really want, and Pebble can get you that for under $100.

Personally, I returned my Time 1 after just a few weeks because I wanted more functionality. Their app store is a real sad sight these days, as I found that numerous apps on old recommendation lists had long been dropped. Even worse are the scores of "free" apps that required a paid third-party app on your phone, complete with tons of one-star reviews saying they were scams. Wasn't going to spend a buck rolling the dice on poo poo like that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bobalbmi posted:

I sorta feel bad for the smart strap developers who just had all of their work thrown into the garbage. I actually kickstarted these guys (http://www.pagare.me/) wonder if I'll see a refund?

Does anyone have any idea what "Pebble functionality or service quality may be reduced in the future." would mean? Are we talking timeline, app store or the weather kinda thing going down in the near future? My Pebble Time Round is fantastic, but I'm wondering if it would make any sense at all to buy some super discounted Pebble 2 in the future. I don't have an issue if I can download the apps I want early and just use it for those and telling time/receiving notifications.
It likely means they're not going to be releasing updates for the app, so if your phone updates and the Pebble app stops working them you're hosed.

Also probably suggesting that the Pebble app store will be shuttering at some point, so no updates for watch apps.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Yea no refunds or warranty support. Owned
People are livid because early this year they were acting as if this product was ready to go and just needed money for the production costs. Not to mention being half a year late but still expected to launch in January.

I can see cancelling future production, but not being able to fulfill backer pledges seem like run-of-the-mill Kickstarter fuckery as opposed to being forced to end the project because there's no future.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 8, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They'll probably do well if they release an affordable smart watch with basic functionality on top of Fitbit's usual stuff. If they are trying to make a $250+ watch to compete with Apple or Android then uh good luck with that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hubris is a motherfucker. The second gen Pebble stuff looked nice, but was hardly the kind of revolutionary design that was going to suddenly make them bank. Not sure what they were thinking passing up those offers, but seems like a recurring theme in the tech industry.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Every time I see that this thread has a new post, I hope that someone is posting a new watch that's functionally similar to a Pebble that they've found.

Not yet. :smith:
I think the problem is that few people are going to be like "Yeah, let me invest money in being the replacement for this brand that crashed and burned!" even though it's not a terrible idea when you consider the void Pebble leaves in affordable smartwatches. For around $100 it was a really solid feature set.

At this point any spiritual successor to Pebble is likely going to be whatever Fit Bit does with the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Probably lcd or something, unless there's been huge developments in eink displays. Could also be concept art. So who knows for sure

• Locked thread