Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wario In Real Life posted:

I feel sorry for the poor sap that had to perfectly apply/remove/reapply every single one of those for their preview shots.

Maybe that's just where all the Pebbles went.

But it's probably photo shopped. Not too hard to color something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xamphear posted:

Yeah, I've stopped wearing my Pebble on a daily basis. I bought it as an "app watch" which is how they sold it in their Kickstarter. But as it stands now, it's basically just a "notifications watch" and anything above and beyond that requires a bunch of micromanagment hackery and doesn't look or act good enough to make it worth the effort. You really hit the nail on the head when you called that comment about IFTT "pebble as hell". Their response to loads of features has been "we're not going to implement that in a first-party simple way because you can accomplish it already if you spend an hour hacking together a bunch of 3rd party apps and services."

I'm not all angsty about my hundred bucks, and I don't feel ripped off. But at the same time, I really did want a watch that was capable of easily running a bunch of cool apps, and that's just not what this is. Getting notifications on your watch is pretty cool and can be really useful, but if that's all it ever does, that doesn't justify me wearing it around all day, everywhere. I'll probably wear it only on occasions where I don't want to keep whipping my phone out, or where I might not hear my phone ring/feel it vibrate.

Now I've got a Sony smartwatch, and its a little more app oriented. That said, I've been wearing it less myself for the same reasons as you. The novelty of seeing texts and calls on your wrist is just that, a novelty. Its saved me several times since Android silent mode is way too easy to enter and I can not miss a boss call thanks to the obvious notification, but its not horribly useful or stylish, both of which are kind of staples of a watch. (That's if keeping meticulous watch over time is considered useful, and I think it is.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Toq also isn't locked to Samsung devices. The Galaxy Gear is basically overpriced trash.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got a decent enough analog Armitron off Amazon for $18 shipped. I like the looks of the new Pebble, but at that price I might as well buy something with a little more zing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I dig my steel. Microphone is pretty pointless but the other features are cool I guess.

Not going to lie I really like my steel because it looks like a normal sleek watch and not some obnoxious smart watch. The new one is going towards the latter imo

It reminds me a lot of those $50 Chinese smartwatches. And let's just say China doesn't know how to design an attractive watch.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
New leak, for anyone interested:

Kind of scummy, in my opinion, that a new Pebble is already showing up on Amazon when some people don't even have their Kickstarter Pebble Times/Steels yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

rear end Catchcum posted:

There is no way that leak is true.

There was a valid Amazon listing for $250 that got taken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It does look nice and thin but I really think they could have sized it up a few hairs and snuck in a better battery. Like sirbeefalot said the great thing about the Pebble is that it's a smartwatch with a much more respectable battery life. At this price point and battery life, why not get something a little flashier like an Android Wear watch? Hell, I think even the old Moto 360s got a few updates and can stretch to 2 days without much compromise.

I also would have liked if they stuck with 22mm bands, as my few spare watch bands are 22mm.

• Locked thread