Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I have been toying with the idea of either getting a Pebble or an UP by Jawbone. Pebble looks more likely so far.

Plus, I do take my phone out of my pocket often just to check the time. Being able to not only check the time, but see notifications or control my music sounds like a nice feature.

I probably would have bought one already if they weren't on backorder or only shipping to the original backers. Preferably in a nice Cherry Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I preordered a Pebble a few months ago and haven't gotten any notification of whether it's ready or not, or even to set up payment. There's not really any ETA on the site other than "it'll be here when it gets here". If anybody else preordered and got it already, how long did it take?

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I preordered mine back in late April, and it's the red one as well. I'm guessing I can expect it by 2015.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
It looks like Best Buy will carry the black model in stores and online this Sunday, and that the red one will be coming sometime in August.

I actually really want a red one instead of a black one, so I think I'll wait this out. Probably better for me to considering I've already made a few big purchases in the past few days. Going for the black one on Sunday is out of the question even if I wanted that color.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
There's about three or four Best Buy stores in my area, and people seem to be unaware they exist where I live.

I think the chances of me finding it are favorable if I went to get one Sunday.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Went by Best Buy on a whim today to see if they had any in stock. Glad I ordered online because they had gotten two and they said there were people waiting outside when they opened to get them.

Mine will be here tomorrow

I went to Best Buy out of impulse yesterday to see if they had any. Only a handful of stores in my state are carrying them right now, and the store I checked at had three in transit. Closest store that had them now was also over a hundred miles away.

Kind of disappointed, but at the same time I still want the cherry red one much more.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I went to Best Buy again and found out they have some in stock. I think it was just 2, though.

Only thing was they won't sell it to me until tomorrow when they open at 11 am. I'm planning to make a trip back to get it. I'm kind of giddy, even if it isn't the cherry red like I really wanted.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Czolgosz posted:

You know, I'd probably just wait for the Cherry Red. It is a nice product at a pretty fair price point for what it does, but it's not exactly a life-altering, you-must-buy-it-now-to-reap-rewards-untold product. I was waiting for a year for my Cherry Red when they offered the option to switch to black and have it be shipped 2-4 weeks sooner. I'm glad I waited, and you probably would be too, if it is something you "really want."

I'm probably going to wait for the Cherry Red after all.

Deep down on some level, I still want that more, even if I did get the black one. But the kicker is I went in to check earlier and found out all the Best Buy stores in my town already have their few Pebble smartwatches ordered and reserved for pickup.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Czolgosz posted:

Reserved already? Man, I guess a lot more people are dying to have one than I thought.

Add your email to the pre-order list. It's free, so if you end up getting your cherry red Pebble before you get your pre-order, you won't have lost anything; if you end up not being able to find a cherry red Pebble for months and months and months, you'll get your Pebble with very little fuss. It's no-lose/win.

That's actually good advice. I'm actually still on the preorder list. I sent mine in back in April, I think.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Falcon2001 posted:

Also for the people who want a different color - why not just grab http://www.gadgetwraps.com/devices/pebble-watch.html ? seems like a quicker way to handle it and comes with a protective case.

I was absolutely dead set on getting the Cherry Red until I saw this. Now I'm leaving my options open a bit. There's no way in hell I'm going to use a Pebble with no screen protection anyway.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
Either I missed something, or there's retail Cherry Red units already on sale. Going through eBay reveals several results where retail boxed Cherry Red units exist. But I checked the Best Buy site earlier and saw nothing but the default black one.

Oh, and every Best Buy in my area (and state) has no Pebbles in stock at all.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I ordered the Cherry Red a few days ago from the Best Buy site for in-store pickup sometime next week. I'm actually pretty excited about waiting after all.

Now I just need to get a wrist strap as well. I'm actually having a bit of trouble deciding whether I should order one and have it coincide with the day I pick it up, or if I should wait and see how the one on the Pebble feels before I get one.

I also don't know if I want the stylish Fossil Heirloom one or the thin NATO straps that feel like wearing no watch at all. I used to use a metal watch regularly, but I'd occasionally take it off because it would feel hot or sweaty against my skin after a while.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I got my cherry red Pebble today. Feels good to finally have one, although the button to scroll down feels a little unresponsive sometimes. I hope it's not a defect of some kind.

Along the border where the cherry red plastic meets the black body, there's this little grime. I think it might be a glue residue of some kind. Hopefully some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip can minimize it.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

mcpringles posted:

Yeah its common for there to be a little glue on the sides unfortunately.

It could be worse. I tried to reduce some of it with alcohol and a q-tip, but I stopped when I realized the q-tip was turning pinkish. It's not so bad in its current state.

I wanted to ask what screen protector I should get for this thing in terms of best price without feeling like an orange peel (so no ZAGG). I was going to get a Skinomi, but I want to be sure I have all my options open. I don't really care for a gadget wrap because I've got a cherry red like I originally wanted.
Nevermind, I went to Radio Shack and got the cheapest screen protector for a phone nobody uses on discount, then cut the shape out. Just need to get a watch strap now.

SirSigma fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know about apps, but how about the weather functionality they show on a watchface on the Kickstarter video? Or the "watchapp store" they claimed would exist in that same video? (And no, half a dozen watchfaces and snake in a list that hasn't been updated since launch doesn't count.) Or apps that can "transmit data to the Internet" (also from the pitch video)? Or the IFTTT service they showed off at CES seven months ago? Or the ability to actually read messages in Unicode so that those of us who live in non-English-speaking countries can actually read notifications without having to channel them through a third-party app?
When you put it that way, the guys behind Pebble sound awfully lazy.

I'm still using my Pebble on a regular basis and have no plans to stop doing so anytime soon because I needed a good wristwatch for the longest time. That said, I remembered always wanting one of those watches in shops that had some kind of animation on the watch face, but I never got around to getting it. The Pebble seems like the closest thing to that, but it's got some uses I really do like. I like not having to take my phone out of my pocket whenever I get an email or text because the notification tells me who it is. I really like some of the apps that work for it, even though there don't seem to be a lot. And I really like custom watch faces for it. In all honesty, the custom watch faces are probably what I still love about this watch so far.

Aside from that, I got a custom strap a few weeks ago from a Fossil store at the mall in my area.

• Locked thread