Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Honestly, as soon as a smartwatch with equal or better functionality and battery life is released by a company that actually understands how to handle customer relations comes out, Pebble as a company are hosed.

Yep. Pebble's stuff has been out in the open for over a year now, and any major player has had that long to see what Pebble was going to bring to the table and get out ahead of it. It's been five months since Pebble shipped, so any competitor has also had plenty of time to see Pebble's shortcomings and attempt to address that in their own product.

I put in a $0 Pebble preorder last week, but I've decided I will not follow through when it's time to pay. I realized they probably won't get to me until the end of the summer if not even later. It also occurred to me that by the fall, there will likely be multiple companies with better watches and the capability to actually ship them.

My bet is on Apple launching a watch as a companion for the next iPhone, and moving more watches in a weekend than Pebble could do in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I put in a $0 pre-order for a black model a week and a half ago. I take it that if they have enough stock to put these things on Best Buy shelves on Sunday, that they'd be offering to sell me mine soon?

I was assuming production was backlogged till kingdom come, given they quoted absolutely nothing in the way of ship dates.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

For what it's worth, I still haven't heard back from them and I preordered black in January.

Did you pre-pay? I can't remember when they changed to doing the $0 preorder option. I thought that they were actually taking real money from people, for some period of time after the Kickstarter closed.

Kazy posted:

The only color they haven't finished (I think) is White. I think they are just going to tell the people with $0 preorders they can just go to Best Buy if they want it in black.

Their post here basically says you can still wait, or you can buy it at Best Buy and ignore the "go pay for your preorder" email when it comes.

Also, that same post says they've shipped all but white to Kickstarter backers, they have enough white on hand to ship 58% of their preorders at present, and some future production run will finish that off.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mcpringles posted:

I pre ordered a black 4 months ago. Kind of annoying they are sending them to Best Buy now instead of people who have been waiting forever. I can't really complain though because this means I can go buy one on Sunday.

Good luck. I believe it was up in the Pebble forum thread I linked a few posts ago where someone said their local Best Buy had been allocated two or three. So if every store only gets a handful, it's going to go fast, especially when there's a ton of people who have waited months in the preorder queue only to effectively be told to go piss up a rope and go to Best Buy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I see they are back in stock on Best Buy's website so I ordered one. I'd rather be sure I am getting one than gamble on Sunday.

Thanks for pointing this out, ordered one last night. I was feeling wishy-washy if I had to wait an indeterminate period of time off that $0 preorder but if I can get one real soon now, why not.

And even with the $8 expedited shipping (I have a business trip late next week and I don't want it sitting on my doorstep) so I get it on Monday or Tuesday, it still came out cheaper than if I had to go and pay full sales tax at the Best Buy near my house. I'll call this a win.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like if you ordered online from Best Buy, they shipped yesterday.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

What on Earth does "always skip onboarding" mean?

I don't know for sure since I don't have my device yet but it sounds like the newest software updated added some kind of new user "onboarding" process.

Going from what I read on their forum, it also apparently was the case that if you already had a device paired and set up from before the update, and then went through this process, you would hose up the bluetooth pairing and you'd have to back it all out and start over.

They added a further update that would only offer you the option to go through the update if it detected a watch was paired, but they also say some phones can't reliably tell if the watch is paired or not. So they now give you a setting to force it to never offer you the option.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just got mine from UPS. I first had to skip the initial software update process, because it was just hanging at that point. After giving up on the update, I didn't get past trying to set the time on this before boxing it back up to return to Best Buy tonight.

The screen looks pretty bad, honestly, especially when it's backlit. Also, it feels just kind of cheap and chintzy; the buttons feel soft and don't really have a decisive "click" to them. I could get a new band, because I knew going into this that the band sucks, but I can't fix the watch itself.

Also, why in the hell am I setting the time on a "smart" watch anyway? Shouldn't it just pair with my phone, then get the time from it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kazy posted:

I don't remember having to do this at all :confused:

What phone do you have?

RAZR HD. It paired and the app saw the watch, then it said there was a software update. It showed an update progress meter, rebooted, and at that point both the phone and watch said they were waiting on the other to connect to do an update.

Waited ten minutes and nothing happened so I aborted the update and just went forward, and the first thing it asked me to do was set the time.

Setting the time seemed really tedious because the buttons felt so squishy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Evil Robot posted:

What do you find bad about the screen? I actually like it a lot (shows up well in daylight, has good animation properties) other than some manufacturing bullshit (mura after the watch gets hot, yellowing around the screen corners in certain circumstances)

On the left and right edges of the screen, there's thick bands of yellow. Pretty much the center third of the screen is the only part that's not discolored. It's most evident when the backlight is on. It did also have the mura effect (I had to google that to find out what that meant) when it was fresh out of the box, as it had been sitting in a hot UPS truck all day. That got a little better once it cooled down, but there's still this yellow-normal-yellow color gradient across the screen.

The screen notwithstanding, it seems when I press one of the buttons on the side, 2/3 of the time it wouldn't register.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pebble's down to $119 at Best Buy, or $89 with a .edu email address. I had bought one for $150 and didn't think it was worth the money, but I might reconsider for $89.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Caved and ordered a Steel. Wasn't pleased with the original model of Pebble at all in terms of build quality and size, so I took it back, but it looks like this may have addressed the concerns I had. If not, hey, 30 day return policy.

• Locked thread