Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

My og pebble (bought used like 10 months ago or so) often gets super distorted when receiving a notification. If I toggle a menu a couple times it'll straighten itself out...
Is this a known thing that happens eventually? Is the screen just dying?

E: also smart unlock when its paired with my phone is an awesome thing.

That's a hardware issue. My first Pebble did that.

Bad news there's no cure, good news you can usually refresh the menu to fix it and my Pebble never stopped working the whole year I had that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My kid wanted a new watch so I set her up with my OG Pebble. It was blowing her mind even before I synced it to her cell phone ("I can control music!?!").

Only problem is she freaks when the battery life gets below 50%. I keep trying to explain that she still has 3 to 4 days, but she's used to regular electronic devices where dipping below halfway means you won't last the rest of the day. Kids. :rolleyes:

Calaveron posted:

So how reliable is the pebble time for counting calories and tracking sleep and stuff? Thought you needed the fancy metal diodes and bright green lasers stuff like fitbit and basis have in order to do that. And does using a nato band affect any of that stuff?

Sleep monitoring usually just detects movement. The more you move at night the lighter your sleep. Any kind of calorie counting would probably just look at your daily steps and guess at how much you're burning. There are no sensors except for motion ones.

I pitched in for a KickStarter that uses the Pebble Time's accessory port to track heartbeat using the green laser method. When that arrives I'll have to switch out my NATO band for a more traditional two piece watch band. So yeah, any functionality that gets added would probably require the watch to sit flush with your wrist.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Time 2 does look nice. I'm already invested in a Kickstarter with the heart rate attachment or I'd consider it.

I wonder if the smaller bezel scratches as badly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

Heart-rate monitor make my dick move.

You're supposed to strap them to your wrists.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to have notifications auto-clear on iOS? It's annoying when I look down for the time and I have to clear an alert from what seems like hours ago still on my screen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

I'm on iOS and my notifications auto-clear after two minutes. I was sure there was a setting for that, but can't find it now.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a setting for it, but I don't see it in the new Pebble app.

Mine clear, but it's inconsistent and as you might imagine I really notice when they don't.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Yes, this is the biggest lesson, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter. I don't care if Apple or Microsoft is running the Kickstarter, don't do it.

I backed a Pebble accessory on Kickstarter (heartbeat tracker). It still hasn't been delivered. :(

I enjoyed my Pebble, but it's really not aging well. I can't tell if it's perception or not, but the screen on my Pebble Time seems to have gotten significantly duller. Like I'm longing for the old monochromatic display.

I'm going back to regular watches. My Pebble will go into the same box as all my old Palms.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pebble: the end of the Timeline.

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how badly the pebble people are haunted by the fact they didn't sell to citizen for a stupid high amount instead of the nickles they sold to fitbit for

You gotta roll the dice. Instagram folks probably kick themselves for taking only a billion whereas SnapChat looks smart for rejecting Facebook's 2 billion dollar offer.

I don't know if Pebble ever planned on staying independent. I figured they were always gunning for an acquisition. Maybe there was another suitor they thought would top Citizen's offer. 2015 was a dizzy time for tech.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter isn't bad. I've gotten some good books out of it. If you're backing someone creative whose already got content, it's a good platform for getting over the self publishing hurdle.

But holy poo poo it's terrible for tech and tech accessories. By the time the heart rate monitor I backed (and fortunately got refunded) gets shipped for the Pebble there may not be a Pebble store to even download the app from. I've backed a couple of iPhone accessories only to have them rendered useless by a new phone (usually purchased shortly after the long delayed Kickstarter finally shipped).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just announced, Fitbit acquired your mom.

Those Vectors look interesting. Although the pictures in reviews don't look anywhere near as nice as those product shots.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

With that logic every failed kickstarter would be refundable via chargebacks, and make the whole thing unviable. What exactly do people think they're getting when they give money to a kickstarter?

Kickstarter says it's not a store, but it operates an awful lot like a store. Kind of like how Uber says it's drivers aren't employees, but they look a lot like employees. They're getting all the benefits of being one thing while insisting they're something else.

I agree with what you're saying, but there's a reason why Kickstarter clamped down on campaigns. Liability for failed crowdfunding campaigns is a ticking time bomb and at some point a campaign is going to fail spectacularly enough to end up in court.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarting the Pebble Time and Pebble Time II got them plenty of press and I'm sure they got a pretty good deal from Kickstarter. Maybe not a discount on fees, but they received a whole lot of free advertising space on the website.

It can be a good way to build excitement even if you don't need the seed money. My co-worker already has one of those fiddle cubes for spastic people and I think that Kickstarter ended in October or November. So that company already had a product primed and ready to go when it's campaign ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wandering around Best Buy last week they had a sad Pebble display with some demo Rounds and Pebble II's. It didn't look like they had any in stock to purchase though.

The Round was a nice watch.

• Locked thread