Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Anyone else have one of these? Mine arrived yesterday and so far it's a nice toy.

What I like:
-Notifications of course are good. Impossible to miss emails, phone calls, and SMS/iMessage as long as I'm wearing it.
-Some of the custom watchfaces are pretty awesome
-Flick to turn on the backlight is useful
-Music controls are basic but good to have
-Pebble team is diligent about putting out firmware updates

What I don't:
-No support for UTF-8 at this time. I live in Japan so half the messages I get are in Japanese, unfortunately unreadable on the Pebble. Seems there's an app for that on Android but not on iPhone yet, I guess. I think the Pebble team said the Pebble itself has UTF-8 in the firmware but I guess they're too busy with other things to implement it at the moment.
-It's pretty huge. My last watch was a Swatch Skin so maybe I just got used to small watches, but the Pebble nearly hangs off the side of my wrist.
-The strap is boring. Lots of people talking about replacing it with a nicer one and I will too -- I tend to be allergic to whatever latex/rubber they're using in this. So I'll need to replace it with something using a different material.
-Notifications are limited. In Japan most people use an app called LINE for chatting, not iMessage, and I get no LINE notifications at all. Still investigating this one.
-I wish it would notify me when it loses connection with the iPhone. May also help if I leave my phone somewhere, since I would know as soon as I get out of Bluetooth range, rather than realizing after I've left the bar or whatever.

Otherwise there's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been covered in the various reviews on the internet, but it's worth noting that a recent firmware update added support for 3rd party apps/watchfaces. This is one of my favorite parts! There seem to be a crapload of developers tinkering with it already, just as I'm typing up this post I see someone uploaded a calculator app.

So far the best resources for 3rd party downloads appear to be:
http://forums.getpebble.com/categories/watchapp-directory
http://mypebblefaces.com/

Assuming you have the latest Pebble firmware and Pebble iPhone app, the process for downloading the new faces/apps is really easy (Android is similar I guess):
1) Browse around the above sites in Safari on the iPhone (Chrome doesn't work for iPhone)
2) Click the download link
3) Choose "Open in Pebble"
4) If you have an empty app/watchface slot, it will start to download
5) Switch to the watchface or app

Some of my favorite 3rd party watchfaces:
Revolution
Boss - for when I'm feeling sophisticated
Peb-L-Sketch - sorta hard to read but a good example of what's possible
Bold Hour White - There's an inverted version as well but I like this one.
Beer O'Clock - Just for comedy. Literally says "Beer O'Clock" all the time, never changes. Good for battery saving too I guess, if you're too lazy to just turn off your Pebble.

There's also a watchface generator coming along, pretty interesting:
http://forums.getpebble.com/discussion/4500/www-watchface-generator-de-preview-available/p1

So does anyone else have one? Impressions?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Elysium posted:

I have to say, I really just don't "get" the Pebble. So basically, its main function is just to prevent you from having to take your phone out of your pocket? Thusfar I had not considered that to be a hassle in my life.

I guess the main purpose is the notifications, yes. Personally I find that I miss a lot of phone calls while walking, so it's helpful for that at least. Also I use Bluetooth headphones while at the gym so being able to control music from afar is nice. Otherwise it's sort of useless at the moment since nobody in Japan uses iMessage, and I don't get any urgent emails to my personal address. I guess IFTTT could help.

Don Lapre posted:

Are they planning on making the face out of Glass so it doesn't scratch.

No idea about plans for the next model, though I'm sure they already have something in mind. Personally I'd like something a lot smaller, and with

Chortle posted:

Once the full SDK is released, developers will be able to communicate with the phone, and that's where I think the Pebble will truly start to shine.

Yes, would be nice to be able to get my calendar as well. Also when snowboarding I use an app called SkiTracks that shows your speed, elevation etc. so it would be nice to be able to see that on the pebble.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

They haven't even finished shipping Pebbles to backers of the original Kickstarter, have they? Might be quite a while before they get to the preorders.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

drat, Android starting to look like a much better platform for the Pebble.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pebble still feels huge. Anyone know how to get a bigger wrist, besides getting fatter?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 7, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

No no you don't understand, it's a different color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just for the record I've given away my Pebble after it sat in my closet for a few months, so I've unsubscribed from this thread. If anyone wants changes made to the OP, please PM me.

• Locked thread