Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squibbles posted:

I liked a couple of the comments from The Verge article about it.

Samsung claims it has 24hr+ battery life. Though most of the watches were completely dead by the end of the press event.

The watch strap apparently felt LESS supple than the pebble one (Is that even possible??).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/4/4692824/samsung-galaxy-gear-features-specs-release-date-price

Plus it's $300 which just seems crazy to me given that it doesn't even work with all android phones but just a subset of samsung phones/tablets.

Qualcomm showed one too that they plan on selling not just the reference designs they are so fond of displaying that we never get a product out of:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/qualcomm-toq-smartwatch/

Looks like a much better Pebble than that Samsung monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bit the bullet on Sunday on a Pebble and I have to say I like it. The pricing is perhaps a bit high given it's functionality but it is still in early adopter category but it is not horrible looking and the notifications work great. I wouldn't call it a smart watch but more a basic watch that better meets today's realities of being chained to a smartphone for better or worse.

But seriously, the watchband sucks, I ordered a new one on Sunday but I'm going to the mall tomorrow to find a non-lovely perhaps temporary one .

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ShoeFly posted:

Sometimes the notifications don't make it to my watch at all, which is pretty poo poo and makes it useless for the most part.

Yeah, I was very annoyed by that at first. Force quit all Pebble apps including httpebble and relaunch them and everything appears to work great. They are really doing a poo poo job of effectively communicating what works and doesn't after the update and what just needs to be rebooted.

All my notifications were broken after the update until I quit and restarted Httpebble after the update, now everything works fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ShoeFly posted:

I've never used httpebble, it just seems that sometimes texts will appear on my watch and sometimes they won't.

Are you on an iPhone 4S+ or below because as far as I can tell a lot of the changes relate to Bluetooth 4.0 support.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Nevermind, my watch and phone were working with some unholy kind of working patchwork of old firmware and new app. Delete everything, factory reset your pebble, restart both and pray for rain.

Edit: I think I have this figured out, there were two releases today, firmware and an app, I downloaded the app but it didn't update the firmware of the watch for some reason which left me with a weirdly working watch with some notifications, with a current app and firmware you should have two bluetooth connections, one regular and one LE, it needs the LE profile active for notifications not to be hosed up.

Delete every Pebble app off your iPhone, factory reset your Pebble, reboot both devices, reinstall the main Pebble App and repeat until your Pebble gets 1.3.x firmware instead of 1.2.x, pair the BT LE connection, then you can reinstall HTTPebble etc. if you don't have an iPhone 4S+ you are just hosed because you need BT LE for notifications to work properly. The BT and BT LE connections are completely separate in the pairing screen and you need the latest firmware for both to show up and yes you apparently can be in a situation where you are running old firmware and the new app leaving you with a hosed up situation without any obvious notice where you have a now optional and screwy BT connection and not a working BT LE connection essential for proper notifications.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 12, 2013

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So now that everything is working notifications work really well and it does automatically reconnect if you lose range. Before this update I think I would have returned the watch but since I keep my phone on silent and get a fair number of notifications it's really nice to just have them on my wrist instead of grabbing my phone whenever I hear it buzz for some unknown reason.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ShoeFly posted:

Mine's been working perfectly today as well, it hasn't missed a single notification. I haven't changed anything so hopefully it'll keep working.

Yeah, it is working great for me, really everything is working great for me. I find myself having a hard time putting a value on the Pebble, it's a basic watch that $150 seems really high for it's capabilities and build quality on paper seem but I get lots of notifications and it is really nice to have have them on my wrist instead of digging out my phone without knowing if it is an unimportant calendar reminder or a SMS from a close friend.

I'm sticking with it, yes, early adopter premium aside it is an $70 watch at best but the reality is that I'm glued to my phone and with iOS notifications I get a lot more freedom to decide if I want to take a call when my phone is on the other side of the house charging and there are zero alternatives besides altering how I prioritize my life.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

PlesantDilemma posted:

At first I was all "pff whatever, it didnt turn out to be the wrist revolution after all" but I got really used to reading my text messages without my phone and now I miss it :-(

Yes, it does have a year warranty but I have to highlight this because I still people not understanding it. We will see with SDK 2.0 but Pebble is a dumb watch, a dumb watch that does an amazing job with notifications. Seriously, it doesn't seem like a big deal but it is,.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I ordered a Pebble on Amazon for $120.00 with some gift cards I got from work as a bonus. It seems like I'm getting in at a good time with the new firmware coming out in a couple months and an app store on the way. I think I'm going to swap the band out right away though, it looks a little hokey to me in the pictures.

The band is uncomfortable cheap ugly poo poo, seriously don't even bother trying it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

It has been able to do this for a very long time, possibly since launch. You select what the "music" watch app controls from the phone app. Only does next track and play/pause as far as I know, though.

Does Android not have universal Bluetooth media controls? With the iPhone Pebble gets song data and music control from whatever audio app is active.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Nope, that sounds nice! The Android version of it (using Pandora) is a watchface with "no music found". Functional, but in the most basic sense.

Oh that's sucks, in iOS every audio app gets full meta data, artist, title, album whatever. Even apps like NPR will show the journalist, story title and show name.

I didn't think I would use the music controls much but with playback control and song titles I bought a bluetooth adaptor for my iPhone and I can run errands on foot and not be tangled into any cables. It's so nice when I'm walking the dog and trying to pick up dinner or whatever, it used to be such a tangled mess when I was trying to keep the headphone cable from tangling in the dog leash while changing a track on my phone or checking a text or whatever, now it is full phone freedom or often freedom from my phone while I wear the earphone cable under my hoodie or sweater or whatever.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So CES announcements, App Store and 2.0 go live by the end of January with a notification center and a bunch of new apps and the thing I have been asking for...

Pebble Steel, thinner Gorilla glass and steel body. I am in love with Pebble and so tempted but with Apple's watch around the corner I'm not sure I want to put the money into it and it still looks a bit cheap.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I just realized that the head of the watch is a proprietary design which limits the strap options to just the included ones. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me as I would really want a fabric band to use when I'm bike riding or doing other outdoor activity stuff. If it could take universal straps, i would be ordering one right now.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that but it is a deal breaker for me as well. The old Pebble is not ugly, once you ditch the piece of poo poo wristband that it comes with it's really not a bad looking watch, it's not particularly attractive but at the same time there is something appealing about how minimalist it is and how on the black model the watch face completely blends into the frame with a black background. I mean no one is going to think it is expensive but no one is going to think it is a geeky looking piece of poo poo you bought from a Walmart rack.

A nylon band is just really comfortable for everyday wear, if I bought it would have been with the intention of putting the nylon band I have on my current Pebble on it. If I was buying new I would consider spending the extra $100 but as a slightly more fashionable watch I'm just going to keep my $250. I guess what I am saying is that it's an upgrade, $100 upgrade for my first Pebble I would consider it but not as a $250 upgrade over the one I already have.

That said I'm really excited for 2.0, the Pebble is a really, really great watch after the iOS 7 upgrade, I've found myself actually using it to tell the time instead of instinctively pulling out my iPhone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Most lower end fashion watches start around $100.

That's where my problem is, it's not a fashion watch. The standard Pebble actually has great build quality and while the materials are better on the Steel it's still nothing anyone would consider a designer or luxury product

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I think this may be a factor on why a good portion of people that have purchased a Pebble have decided they don't like wearing watches, the Pebble band is poo poo, it's stiff, uncomfortable, it doesn't breathe, it's all around terrible.

Fabric bands can get gross and smelly but so can anything if you don't take care of it, if you don't like fabric bands there are other options given the standard sizing, it is easy to find leather, metal or ceramic bands that may more appealing to you.

The band that comes with it is terrible, they shouldn't even have bothered shipping it with a band if cost was a factor in their decision, it is poo poo. Trust me, replace it, it's poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Pebble 2.0 is apparent live in the Apple Store but I don't see it, anyone having any luck?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I have it now and I am really impressed by how filled out the app store already is. I have noticed that there is a little bit of lag in the menus but other than that it seems solid. I don't know how I would use it but the Yelp application is pretty impressive and doesn't need the Yelp iPhone app to function. It also automatically updated my old watch faces to the 2.0 version and I'm glad to kick HTTPebble to the curb.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 3, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Anything interesting beyond scorekeeper apps and stopwatches?

It looks like there are a few fitness trackers, I can't figure out if they get accelerometer data in the background or they have to be active to work, I suspect they have to be active. One nice thing is you can configure the watch faces in the iOS app. Oh and there is finally a way to see the watch battery meter.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Feenix posted:

Any of you get the Kronos app for pebble. (Sonos controller)?

I got it and all it does is say it's connecting to Sonos for... well, a looong rear end time. If I press any buttons it says that Kronos App Crashed... Press any Button.

Anyone had any different experiences? Or know if I need to do something special?

I'm guessing it is the same issue I was having with the FourSquare app, you download it and there is absolutely no indication that you must configure it in the Pebble app on your phone before it doesn't just look broken.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Evil Robot posted:

It's really quite buggy: a lot of apps that work fine on iPhone (requiring Internet access) are quite broken on Android. The web store / the entire app is nearly unbearably slow on a Nexus 5.

Actually this has been an annoying thing on the iOS version, it is laggy as hell. I have never used an app on my iPhone 5 that regularly runs this slowly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

With the release of the apple watch coming out next year, does anyone think that the Pebble will survive?

I still really like mine, and I like the price point, but now there is a smart watch for both IOS and Android, and they look nicer.

Looks wise, I think the Moto360 is the best looking one, but I can't comment as to how well they work.

Well they are the only one with solid iOS support and the Apple watch is going to start at $350 so if they can use their lead to cut the cost on their watches significantly I think they will be fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I've switched over to Google Wear for the most part now, I still use the Pebble for working out but I remain extremely happy with the Pebble and if you are on iOS it is an incredibly solid buy that keeps getting better and better.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

I'm personally paranoid about morpheus using an internet server as a middleman (and don't want the data charges while away from Wi-Fi), so I've started to give sleep as android a chance. So far it seems ok and is accurate but it's only been two nights so far, so I'm not too familiar with it's entire feature set yet

If you are that paranoid about mobile data it might be out of your budget (But I would guess a Pebble would be too) but if you are serious about sleep tracking you could get this http://misfit.com/products/beddit and not sleep with your phone. It will probably be more accurate as well

That and my experience with Pebble is the same with Android Wear, they are both poo poo at fitness tracking, if you are serious about it invest $100-$180 in a Fitbit/Jawbone/Misfit, you will get way better sleep/fitness tracking. I just picked up a Fitbit Charge HR and for $150 it does automatic sleep tracking, 24/7 continuous heart rate, stair and step counting.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MeKeV posted:

An interesting little tidbit that I've come across,

"To make the launch seem more like an event, the company is planning some surprises, too. Instead of revealing all the product’s secrets right away, it will dribble out subsequent Pebble Time revelations in “a month of fun” following the announcement. Those ordering early will have an opportunity to upgrade their purchases if they prefer whatever deluxe versions may appear in the coming few weeks."

I don't love the new look, it might be smaller but it looks bigger and Fisher price like. Actually with a white on black face I really like the old Pebble, in some ways more than the steel, it looks very sleek.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kazy posted:

They haven't been able to in the two years since the original Pebble came out, why would they now?

It's pretty much the only place to breathe now between Google Wear and the Apple Watch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kazy posted:

Water does a hell of a job blocking 2.4Ghz.

Such a good job that is the frequency your microwave oven runs on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Considering they just laid off 25% of their staff anything in the pipeline might be seriously disrupted.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
From the breadboard gif with it I assume it is a development platform from the promised smartbands probably with smartbands, I assume including announcing some like a HR band to tie with their new expanded fitness platform.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Pebble is being sold for scrap for $34-$40M. Last year they turned down a $740M buyout offer.

I'm guessing there are some very unhappy people with Pebble holdings right now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sigh and of course I broke my personal rule to back this KS because I liked the product so much and wanted to support Pebble.

Yes, this is the biggest lesson, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter. I don't care if Apple or Microsoft is running the Kickstarter, don't do it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
My biggest question is why Pebble never licensed their system. I mean even Meta was able to license their lovely watch OS. Pebble was a leader back when fitness trackers and smartwatches were in such a huge bubble that even Apple fell into which is why Citizen was willing to pay Pebble almost a three quarters of a billion dollars for their dinky little company.

I'm sure they could have found interested licensees back in the day, hell, Citizen may have even been willing to license it instead of buying the company.

I think the Pebble lesson is that they were just incompetently run.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LeJackal posted:

As if they will will - they're just going to shut it down, add the IP to their portfolio, and then angle to try getting acquired by a larger, more expansive company.

Ehhh... I don't know that Pebble has that much IP that Fitbit give a poo poo about :

http://patentvue.com/2016/12/01/acquisition-of-pebble-will-include-a-narrow-patent-portfolio-for-fitbit/

To me it is clear what Fitbit wants, the Pebble OS and it's engineers, Fitbit's biggest handicap is notification support and MAYBE, MAYBE app support and custom watch faces although I doubt they care that much about it. They tried with the Blaze, it was a disaster. They also use a button interface and neither seems interested in touch screens

It would be ambitious but I wouldn't be surprised if for next holiday season we see Pebble OS married to the Fitbit PurePulse (Which is really, really good according to almost all accounts) and tracking algorithm which is best in the business running on a B/W OLED display and all of the third party app and watch face support stripped out besides Fitbit's own ability to sell you watch faces and third party apps to buy access (Like Yelp, Zillow, Facebook, etc).

Which would be hugely disappointing, it basically guts the essence of Pebble but it's where Pebble's and Fitbit's assets almost perfectly align with the vision of Fitbit.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
And today is your reminder of one of the most important rules of the internet, never, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Pebble Thread: Kickstopped

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Pebble thread: You can skip a pebble a few times but they eventually sink

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I decided to purchase one of those Xaomi Band 2 things because it's a quarter of the price of a Pebble Time 2 which is getting refunded anyway. It doesn't do everything that the Pebble does but it:
A: Tells the time
B: Has a long battery (20 days)
C: doesn't look clunky as hell

Right now seems like a bad time to get on the Android Wear train since 2.0 is supposed to roll out next year, so this is a cheap compromise. If android wear ever improves on it's battery life and size issues I can always just use it as a fitness band.

Fitbit Charge 2 is $115 on Amazon today, tells the time, has (very limited) notifications and actually has really good fitness, HR and sleep tracking as opposed to the Xiaomi "It kind of works but it is cheap".

I just upgraded to it and am very happy, well worth the extra $60 in my opinion.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

That must be on American Amazon because I can't see it on Canadian Amazon

Oh, sorry, still, you might want to consider waiting. Walgreen's had a $70 off promo on the Charge 2 that I took advantage of, plus the $50 in Walgreens points I had sitting in my account, Best Buy and Target have already had sales for $130. Based on the way these things work I would expect $115 to not be an anomaly but a indication that it is going to be regularly discounted.

It's a really great device, I don't know that I would pay $100 more than the Band 2 about it is absolutely worth an extra $50-$60.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MikeJF posted:

There are some entirely unsubstantiated rumours going around that some of the weirder decisions (core, the massive health software investments, refocusing away from straps and such) which ended up eating cash were a result of push by the venture capitalist investor board members to fitness tech in the hopes of a sale of the company to something like fitbit.

Entirely unsubstantiated.

I wouldn't be surprised, Google and especially Apple are pouring staggering resources into their smart watches, something Pebble could never hope to match. Fitbit is struggling but has a popular product that is missing, well everything that Pebble has that would bridge a full featured smart watch and fitness tracker that does all the smart watch things that people really want.

Pebble has probably been looking for a Fitbit buyout for months, there is so much synergy in their products going up against Google, Apple and Samsung who seem firmly committed to dumping just shitloads of money into smart watches that are the antithesis of the Fitbit and Pebble brands of simple, useful data. And honestly it is too late for Apple/Samsung/Google to go back, they have committed to ridiculously resource hungry devices.

I don't think that the idea suggests anything nefarious, just that there were limited options to move the company forward, the companies interested in making high powered smart watches were not interested in the Pebble philosophy and extremely limited IP.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Um, yeah, of course, why else would Fitbit want Pebble? They had very limited IP and their fitness algorithms and HR sensor technology was poo poo compared to Fitbit and Apple.

Although it does touch on on very uncomfortable truth that doesn't get covered nearly enough with the Smartwatch market, the ultimate market is not convincing consumers that they should wear smartwatches, it's convincing our employers and insurers that we should and making them at least palatable to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

IAmKale posted:

Amex closed my dispute because Kickstarter said they don't owe me poo poo. What the gently caress do I do now? :qq:

Learn to never ever, ever, ever back a Kickstarter.

• Locked thread