Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yellow Dog Eats, about 20 minutes from Disney Springs. Really good bbq sandwiches and a really unique atmosphere and overall experience. It's in a really old house, in a nice area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I wish they'd release the not so scary dates :smith:

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Quixotic1 posted:

Any worthwhile off-site restaurants nearby the WDW complex? Got plans to visit family there this weekend.

Seconding Yellow Dog Eats.

Sofrito (Latin) and Susuru (Japanese) are also both great, though if you're willing to drive to Orlando, Mills 50 is a great area for restaurants.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://youtube.com/shorts/efnr9NQYzEQ?si=r215-w5VsREz7oht

My knee-jerk reaction (no pun intended) is that so many people are wearing knee braces at Disney because Americans are insanely unhealthy and barely walk anywhere, so walking long distances that might be commonplace elsewhere in the world is a Herculean struggle for Americans.

What do you think?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
car culture has many far reaching consequences

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Most people have jobs where they sit all or most of the day so any amount of walking is difficult for them. I kind of never want to give up my active jobs because I can still walk miles around the parks, but when friends and family visit they get worn out quickly.

Okay I feel like bitching about this, how the fuuuck can anyone enjoy watching the vlogger Paging Mr. Morrow? How is he one of the biggest Disney vloggers? I know "Disney vlogger" is a low bar but he has to be the worst. You can just hear the contempt for his viewers and how much he is forcing his enthusiasm for the parks every single time he speaks. He doesn't actually care about this stuff in the slightest. At least some of the vloggers do care.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 19, 2024

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Tbh the only Disney vlogging channels I can stand on a regular basis are DFB and Expedition Theme Park, and the latter isn’t really Disney centric these days.

Of course Defunctland is great, but that’s not a vlog, nor is it Disney exclusive.

e: oh, and Bright Sun Travels, his videos are quite tolerable and informative.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What happened to that nice blonde lady who I think used to be on AllEars but then she split off to do her own thing? The one who was super into min-maxing Genie+?

DFB really does have the market cornered though, even if they are a touch mommy-blog for my tastes.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Once of my favorite is magic journeys, but only because I really just like the cross between food vlog and special events

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

What happened to that nice blonde lady who I think used to be on AllEars but then she split off to do her own thing? The one who was super into min-maxing Genie+?

DFB really does have the market cornered though, even if they are a touch mommy-blog for my tastes.

I never followed AllEars on YT, but I currently follow Mammoth Club, and I think I remember Molly mentioning All Ears? I'm not 100% positive she's the one you're thinking of, but she might be.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Molly. All Ears has been owned by DFB for years and years though. They bought up a good handful of them. I used to work as an article writer for DFB and frequently wrote for Allears under the DFB banner. Pay was garbage and it was absolute chaos but it was a lot of fun.

Ear to Ear Magic is absolutely the worst rear end in a top hat next to Resort TV1 for in-park streamers and they're constantly on each others' streams. I usually have a WDW stream up in the background while I'm working during the day and they're the only two I hate having on.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Once of my favorite is magic journeys, but only because I really just like the cross between food vlog and special events

Magic Journeys is good stuff. There's a disability (mobility, primarily) positive travel agent who does a lot of disability at the theme parks videos and I can't remember who they are, but they're a lovely couple and talk accessibility in a way that makes it feel like they're not trying to be exploity, just helpful.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/efnr9NQYzEQ?si=r215-w5VsREz7oht

My knee-jerk reaction (no pun intended) is that so many people are wearing knee braces at Disney because Americans are insanely unhealthy and barely walk anywhere, so walking long distances that might be commonplace elsewhere in the world is a Herculean struggle for Americans.

What do you think?
I know the numbers were off because of where I had my phone in both places, but the average parks day isn't much longer than a lazy wander around a local shopping center according to my step counter app.

CapnAndy posted:

Their early pandemic videos were surreal. I was never expecting to hear AJ say "depending on the body count" prior to 2020. I'm still not sure I will ever care as much about the food at the parks as much as they think I will though.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Victoria and Albert's got a Michelin Star.

https://michelinmedia.com/pages/blog/detail/article/c/a1343/

quote:

Nestled within Disney’s crown jewel, the Grand Floridian Resort, this restaurant is by no means an easy reservation. The setting is intimate, and the pacing is that of a leisurely, three-hour waltz orchestrated by a gracious brigade of veteran servers. Chef Matthew Sowers cooks with contemporary verve and draws on influences spanning from Asia to the Nordics. Think delicate tarts set with New Zealand langoustine, striking “sandwiches” made with venison carpaccio and red cabbage, and bold sauces like cherry-cola bordelaise. Other details like water lists, an ornate coffee and tea service, and a serious wine program further impress.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

V&A was one of the highlights of our honeymoon. Everyone should do it once. It is worth it

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, I was thinking of Molly, thanks everyone.

Arquinsiel posted:

I know the numbers were off because of where I had my phone in both places, but the average parks day isn't much longer than a lazy wander around a local shopping center according to my step counter app.
The average American walks 2 miles a day and the average Disney World guest walks 7 miles. You either have very intense shopping trips or very chill park days.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 19, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's probably tech just being unreliable shite. I rarely broke 10k steps in the parks apparently.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There was one day where my friend and I went to IOA during the day and did HHN at night, did all the houses, and stayed until closing. We ended up doing close to 20 miles of walking that day according to both our counters.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
My best non runDisney days were 52k steps over a 2 day period (Friday and Saturday of Star Wars opening weekend in Aug 2019). That’s 21 miles.

I average 10-20k a day when I’m in WDW/UOR/DLR.

I did 26k (10 miles) with my then first grader in one day back in June 2021, when we hit all four parks (when you couldn’t hop until 2pm). He still talks about that day with pride, he was a total champ and wanted to try it.

My whole thing with the knee braces is - (as someone in the physical therapy world) it’s not as much as the amount walking vs the time on your feet. Standing kills folks more than walking does. Preemptive knee brace use for comfort / unloading joints isn’t a bad idea for folks with issues.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anya posted:

I did 26k (10 miles) with my then first grader in one day back in June 2021, when we hit all four parks (when you couldn’t hop until 2pm). He still talks about that day with pride, he was a total champ and wanted to try it.
Jesus. Did you manage to actually ride anything, and follow-up question if the answer is yes, how.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Omg yes! Let’s see what did we do (looks back at pics)

It was a fabulous day. Started in HS, kiddo tried TOT and RNR, MMRR, and all SW things for his first time, then went to Epcot and did F&G snacks and rode the Skyliner for his first time, got snacks at Riviera to wait out a bad thunderstorm, then bused to AK, did Dinosaur 4x in about 35 min because no one was there and it was close to its closing, then went to MK, caught HEA, then did 7D in the sprinkle rain, and finished with photos on Main Street. He was 7 and happy as a clam at the end, and fell asleep on me on the bus back to GDT.

Would I do that every time with him? Well he’s 10.5 now, so I think he might be up to it more, but probably only once a trip.
Me, I could 4 park each day and be happy. I just like vibing in all of the parks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Anya posted:

My whole thing with the knee braces is - (as someone in the physical therapy world) it’s not as much as the amount walking vs the time on your feet. Standing kills folks more than walking does. Preemptive knee brace use for comfort / unloading joints isn’t a bad idea for folks with issues.
Yeah, the worst part of it is the stop/start of the queues. If you're even continually strolling along it's nowhere near as bad as just stopping for five minutes, shuffling forward three steps, and stopping again over and over. This is another reason steps are a bad measure of how tiring Disney is. I hustle around fast in normal life.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Concrete is also hell on the body. A 5k on concrete hurts worse and longer than a 10k on asphalt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My top for a 4-park day was 18000 steps and all I did was pop in to most of them for one last ride of a favorite ride or a quick snack. 26000 sounds even more painful.

Doesn't WDW have some additive on some of their walking surfaces so it's a touch more springy than just typical concrete?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some spots have that foamy stuff that’s pretty comfy to walk or sit on, but it’s mostly just raw rear end concrete.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I was just there and did 12 miles one day in my crocs lol. Feet and knees were fine but I was certainly exhausted the next day. Tho drinking around Epcot and then Boardwalk Piano Bar didn’t help.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Coasterphreak posted:

Tbh the only Disney vlogging channels I can stand on a regular basis are DFB and Expedition Theme Park, and the latter isn’t really Disney centric these days.

Of course Defunctland is great, but that’s not a vlog, nor is it Disney exclusive.

e: oh, and Bright Sun Travels, his videos are quite tolerable and informative.

RIP Josh. I know he was a blogger and not a vlogger, but what a serious loss.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I usually average 30-35k steps a day at Disney but I am the designated walker in my group while other people sit on benches or stand in line for food

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I do between 18k and 25k steps a day at Disney and I'm a little tubbo. It's the standing that hurts. I can walk forever, but when I have to stand still in a line for 30 min, my back kills.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Some spots have that foamy stuff that’s pretty comfy to walk or sit on, but it’s mostly just raw rear end concrete.

yeah, I always try to find the squishy ground. It makes my ouches hurt less if I'm not on a scooter. Love the squishy ground.

Braksgirl posted:

I do between 18k and 25k steps a day at Disney and I'm a little tubbo. It's the standing that hurts. I can walk forever, but when I have to stand still in a line for 30 min, my back kills.

Is it just me or is the Soarin' line particularly rough? It feels hilly.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Anya posted:

Would I do that every time with him? Well he’s 10.5 now, so I think he might be up to it more, but probably only once a trip.
Me, I could 4 park each day and be happy. I just like vibing in all of the parks.
sounds like a lot of travel time cutting into the vibe time tho

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's heavily slanted, yeah.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

RIP Josh. I know he was a blogger and not a vlogger, but what a serious loss.

Who are you talking about?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It and Space Mountain seem to be composed entirely of a gentle but non-zero slope. It's not the best for standing still on.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Both your magnificent effort posts came at a perfect time for me as well. Thank you!

I’ll be in Disney world for the first time this Thursday and I was just discussing the memory maker thing with the misses. She loves pictures.

One question, the memory maker also mentions videos? Are there video cameras set up?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

One question, the memory maker also mentions videos? Are there video cameras set up?
At least one. The only actual in-ride video I got last time was from Tower of Terror (which, incidentally, I cherish -- I rode that with my little brother and it turns out he's scared of drop towers; he is visibly terrified in the video). I also got a few more videos but they were still images just with animations playing, like a picture in front of the Millenium Falcon that then pans out to a view of Batuu.

Remember that if you're going to be there Thursay and you haven't bought Memory Maker but you already know you're going to want it, buy it now -- you have to get it at least three days prior to get the discount.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

sounds like a lot of travel time cutting into the vibe time tho

The thing is
I love traveling around Disney.

I’ll take the long way places, because I actually enjoy it. We went out of our way to take the skyliner when we didn’t have to - I’ll take the long boat rides etc - mainly because it’s part of the fun for me. Probably not for most people, but I enjoy it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Travelling around Disney is loving great. When I visited first at 12 years old the parks started on the ferry boat across from the TTC. I'd almost go so far as to say they started at the trams from the parking lot, but those aren't quite so universal.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Coasterphreak posted:

Who are you talking about?

Easywdw. He passed away a few years ago.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I feel like it’s the most Disney thing that they also got the special award for service in the first year of Orlando being awarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I remember hearing that V&As wasn't eligible because it was part of a park/resort? Did that change?