Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Test Track and Rock n' Rollercoaster have single riders too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It's funny to see people think they can game the system by using the Single Rider line. "Oh, they'll let us sit together."

Nope. You are going to get split up. It's gonna happen.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

warheadr posted:

We're really just focused on Islands of Adventure so I'm thinking a one-day pass for us there, and we also want to do the Universal Halloween nights thing which I hear is pretty awesome, so another ticket price on top of our park ticket for that.

So I'm wondering if there are any good tips or rules to follow for Universal tickets? I'm guessing for one day it's pretty much just buy the ticket and pay the price the park charges online.

If you've got a horror nights ticket and a regular day ticket I'd strongly recommend going to the holding area (I think for IOA its by One Fish Blue Fish in Suess Landing) right around 5PM, this will get you in a bit earlier than the crowd waiting at the gate so you'll be able to do more there. Be aware, horror nights gets extremely crowded, so using the early entry is highly recommended. Only some of the rides will be open though since the main focus is the houses (and the Bill & Ted show is a good break), Transformers and despicable me will probably have a huge wait. (Single riders on Transformers if you don't mind splitting it up). On the flip side the daytime should be fairly light crowd wise in comparison.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The new refillable mug program is live. Basically, you pay $5.99 for a plastic mug with an RFID chip in it. For $3 per day you can refill it with as much soda as you want in any resort quick service restaurant. Once your prepaid days have passed, your mug will deactivate.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I get that people cheat the system, but drat, Disney, cut us a friggin break.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm sure it's actually to do with scanning at the checkout counter or whatever but my brain keeps trying to picture how a mug would physically deactivate.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
In other words, once your stay is over the machine will stop dispensing to your mug. You have to scan it on a dohickey near the machines and that turns on the voodoo or something.

I'm not entirely versed on it obviously.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

The new refillable mug program is live. Basically, you pay $5.99 for a plastic mug with an RFID chip in it. For $3 per day you can refill it with as much soda as you want in any resort quick service restaurant. Once your prepaid days have passed, your mug will deactivate.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I get that people cheat the system, but drat, Disney, cut us a friggin break.

On the one hand, yeah, it seems like overkill, but on the other, I do like that it makes the mug cheaper for people with shorter stays. It used to be like, what, 15 bucks flat rate? Now you pay for the mug and only the amount of time you want to use it (unless you have a dining plan, where it'll be good for the length of your stay)

The mug has a chip in it, and the soda machine reads the chip before it dispenses liquid. If the chip is not active, the machine won't give you soda. There is also a 5 min. window after you use the mug before you can use it again.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I like to think that liquid just phases through the bottom of the mug and spills everywhere when it deactivates. That's the true future of mug technology.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Braksgirl posted:

DISboards already has reports of the chip scanners malfunctioning and exasperated food service Cast Members trying to explain the new system to equally exasperated resort guests with old mugs who just want a simple glass of water or ice please. Honestly, was it really that big of a deal that people were bringing their old mugs down just to get coffee in the morning? If it was, why not just yell at them instead of creating a massive clusterfuck?

effervescible posted:

I like to think that liquid just phases through the bottom of the mug and spills everywhere when it deactivates. That's the true future of mug technology.

Twenty years hence, Disney will create a mug that dissolves completely after the time is up, not even leaving you with an admittedly useful souvenir. It costs $50.00 for length of stay.

Thirty years hence, you don't even get a mug! You get your drink through a "GATTACA" style DNA test. Your drink is then injected directly into your stomach. This is all worth it so people don't sneak free coffee in the morning.

Forty years hence Disney says gently caress it and goes back to the old honor system with the chip-free mugs. With that same illustration of Mickey and the gang in a pool.

E: Should note that I'm not condoning stealing, even from Disney. But I'm also not all that comfortable with RFID chips in everything.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 17, 2013

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Every once and a while, Disney gets tired of people blatantly abusing the systems they have out for guests. They let people use fastpasses well after their expiration times for nearly a decade which drove up wait times and skewed the statistics for seeing whether the drat things worked properly or not. This is no different. Why not just let everyone get free sodas if we let people buy one soda four years ago and get them forever?

I fully agree that it's probably not THAT big of a deal but speaking for myself, I get tired of people getting super mad that businesses won't let them break the rules anymore. What happened to just following the rules like a civilized society?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Roar posted:

What happened to just following the rules like a civilized society?

That never existed. It's a fairy tale. Most people will take advantage and cheat as much as they think they can get away with. Not to mention the rules themselves are made by people who take as much advantage as they can.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The people that steal soda from the machines are the same people that tell me that their kid is 4 but looks 3 so can I just put them down as 2 on the reservation so they don't have to pay.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What do you tell them?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Braksgirl posted:

The people that steal soda from the machines are the same people that tell me that their kid is 4 but looks 3 so can I just put them down as 2 on the reservation so they don't have to pay.

Or the people who will shove ice cream bars in kids shoes to make them tall enough to ride Soarin.

Lincoln posted:

What do you tell them?

If the answer isn't "Eat poo poo" I'm going to be super sad.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I don't tell them to eat poo poo, but I do tell them that I won't lie for them and if they want to book properly, I'm happy to do it. Otherwise, they can go book themselves.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Just found out I got selected to test Magic Bands when I go in October. I'll report back after my trip.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Just found out I got selected to test Magic Bands when I go in October. I'll report back after my trip.

How far in advance to they normally give notice for that. I am hoping that it extends to AoA for my December trip (Probably not)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm not sure. My agency owner got the names of all our agency's clients that would be affected today but I haven't heard from Disney directly yet.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

How far in advance to they normally give notice for that. I am hoping that it extends to AoA for my December trip (Probably not)

Considering Iger said that they plan to have it fully out before the end of the first fiscal quarter, I'd feel fairly confident that you will have a magic band in December. I'd imagine this October test Braksgirl is in is going to be pretty huge, and possibly the last "beta" before they try to go full on live.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

AoA was one of the resorts added for the September tests, so unless that goes badly you'll get a magic band. Port Orleans Riverside is rolling out bands for all guests starting Sept 3 (its rumored).You'll probably see other resorts that were the first test resorts do the same thing into October (hopefully Animal Kingdom Lodge where I'm staying). So you're more likely than not going to be able to get a magic band/use fastpass+ come December.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yoda posted:

Considering Iger said that they plan to have it fully out before the end of the first fiscal quarter, I'd feel fairly confident that you will have a magic band in December. I'd imagine this October test Braksgirl is in is going to be pretty huge, and possibly the last "beta" before they try to go full on live.

If this is the case, I hope they get the glitches worked out during this last test. I've been hearing some pretty awful things about them not working correctly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It seems as if the issues are all in the hardware (which is kind of silly. You'd think a billion would buy you better stuff or at least the chance to fix it before letting people try it) but the actual concept seems to be working well. I read some people who were testing who said once they got the bands working properly, they were able to reserve FastPasses with ease and even change them on the fly based on a whim or changed plan. It just seems that the readers and the bands take some tinkering with.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

YAY! Magic Bands and Fastpass+ became available today to set up for my October trip!

First impressions of FP+ are:

Kind of unwieldy to set up your initial selections and get times set up. You have to pick the attractions. Then you're assigned times. Then you have to go into each fast pass, pick "change time", pick all the people you're changing the time for, and then actually change the time to something you want. I doubt a lot people will even realize they're able to change the selected times they're originally given/assigned.

When they announced the plans for FP+ they mentioned being able to get fastpasses for Fantasmic/fireworks/parades but I didn't see a single one. Some people claim they've gotten them for some days but personally I didn't see anything. I would love to give up a dumbo FP for a special viewing area for Main St Electrical Parade, or Star Tours for Fantasmic, but so far, nothing. Maybe they'll open later, or maybe they're doing away with it because they figured out it was a massive hassle.

I like the fastpasses for the smaller attractions, since my daughter is small. A fastpass for Space Mountain or Expedition Everest doesn't do me any good as she can't ride them. But one for Barn Stormer is great.

It took me the better part of an hour to set them all up for the week I'm going, but that may be because I was pretty picky about timing. otherwise it could have been done in 10 minutes. I still would like if it was faster though.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
So I'm going in October and logged into the MyDisney reservations area of the site today, and see a page for customizing my Magic Bands, which asks me to confirm my shipping address for 2 bands. Does this mean I'm being offered to test them out during my trip? I never got an email or call or anything saying I was someone who could do that, but it looks like they want to give me two.

If that's the case, should I wait until I buy the tickets first? I know there's an option to link tickets to my existing reservations and info, but don't know if the order I get things would play into how the bands work. We're getting our tickets through a corporate discount offer so we just haven't ordered yet and I don't want to mess anything up by going out of order.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Happitoo posted:

YAY! Magic Bands and Fastpass+ became available today to set up for my October trip!

First impressions of FP+ are:

Kind of unwieldy to set up your initial selections and get times set up. You have to pick the attractions. Then you're assigned times. Then you have to go into each fast pass, pick "change time", pick all the people you're changing the time for, and then actually change the time to something you want. I doubt a lot people will even realize they're able to change the selected times they're originally given/assigned.

When they announced the plans for FP+ they mentioned being able to get fastpasses for Fantasmic/fireworks/parades but I didn't see a single one. Some people claim they've gotten them for some days but personally I didn't see anything. I would love to give up a dumbo FP for a special viewing area for Main St Electrical Parade, or Star Tours for Fantasmic, but so far, nothing. Maybe they'll open later, or maybe they're doing away with it because they figured out it was a massive hassle.

I like the fastpasses for the smaller attractions, since my daughter is small. A fastpass for Space Mountain or Expedition Everest doesn't do me any good as she can't ride them. But one for Barn Stormer is great.

It took me the better part of an hour to set them all up for the week I'm going, but that may be because I was pretty picky about timing. otherwise it could have been done in 10 minutes. I still would like if it was faster though.

I know Illuminations is testing FP+ seating areas in certain sections of of World Showcase lagoon.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Disney does not have single sign on with disneyworld.disney.go.com and disneyphotopass.com. With the photo pass system they have achieved pure excellence, try entering your photo pass ID in upper case letters as printed: invalid ID, enter in lower case to proceed.

edit: Disney website problems, randomly reporting invalid photopass ID.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 26, 2013

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

MrMoo posted:

Disney does not have single sign on with disneyworld.disney.go.com and disneyphotopass.com. With the photo pass system they have achieved pure excellence, try entering your photo pass ID in upper case letters as printed: invalid ID, enter in lower case to proceed.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

I'm from the UK and looking for price comparison to me booking a trip entirely through WDW website. I was wondering if there are better deals available to purchase in the US and hopefully take advantage of exchange rates.

I was looking for hotel, tickets, flights but can book my own flights if needed.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with http://smallworldvacations.com/ Or if there's any other recommended travel agent that will deal with people from the U.K please let me know.

Or should I stop trying to save :20bux: and stick with Disney?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm an agent and I just spoke with my agency owner. She says the deals you get over in the UK are better than what we get in the US. A US agent can book you for everything but the tickets, which are apparently a killer deal where you are.

I'd be happy to help you if you need it. PM me.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

She says the deals you get over in the UK are better than what we get in the US.

I'd be happy to help you if you need it. PM me.

Thanks for the advice, for reference I was originally looking at a value resort but when I saw this offer it got me thinking.

WDTC posted:

Great offers still available on 2014 Walt Disney World Florida packages - book today and enjoy Free Dine, $100 Disney Gift Card and 14 for 7 tickets!

For bookings made by 22nd October 2013 for selected arrivals between 1 Jan 2014 - 8 Apr 2014 and 27 Apr 2014 – 30 Nov 2014.

If you book by 22nd October and stay at a selected* Disney Hotel for a minimum of 5 nights, you'll benefit from these three magical offers:

1. FREE Disney Dining for your whole party throughout your entire stay at up to 100 dining locations at Walt Disney World.

2. FREE $100 Disney Spending Money to treat yourself and your family for even more Disney magic during your dream holiday.

3. Disney’s 14-Day Ultimate Ticket which includes unlimited entry to ALL six Parks for a price of a Disney’s 7-Day Ultimate ticket.
(Selected hotels are: Disney's Caribbean Beach, Disney's Port Orleans or Disney's Coronado Springs)

The Caribbean beach resort does look amazing, loads nicer than a value resort which in itself are very nice for the price.

Do you know if you can book the room through a travel agent, and then buy the tickets through WDTC website and still get that offer? If it's okay I'll PM what the Disney site priced up for hotel/tickets to see if its worth pursuing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Biggz posted:

Thanks for the advice, for reference I was originally looking at a value resort but when I saw this offer it got me thinking.

(Selected hotels are: Disney's Caribbean Beach, Disney's Port Orleans or Disney's Coronado Springs)

The Caribbean beach resort does look amazing, loads nicer than a value resort which in itself are very nice for the price.

Do you know if you can book the room through a travel agent, and then buy the tickets through WDTC website and still get that offer? If it's okay I'll PM what the Disney site priced up for hotel/tickets to see if its worth pursuing.

Caribbean Beach is fantastic, but Port Orleans has boat and bus travel to parks instead of just busses. Are you taking any kids? Because Port Orleans (the Riverside part only, buildings 90 and 95) has Princess rooms that you might be able to upgrade to for girls. Caribbean Beach has pirate rooms for upgrade too.

E: Here's the princess rooms: http://allears.net/acc/g_PortOrleans-RoyalRooms.htm

Here's the pirate rooms: http://allears.net/acc/g_cbrpirate.htm

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 25, 2013

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Biggz posted:

I've never priced for an overseas client, but if you're getting a package with a discount on one element (room,tickets, dining) then you're probably going to have to book it as a package to get that discount. So you wouldn't be able to let a US agent book two elements and not the third. Does that make sense?

Personally, if I had to choose between Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, or Coronado Springs, I'd take Coronado any day. It's a little further away but it has tons of buses, it's a beautiful resort, and the rooms are extremely comfortable and well-thought out. I definitely recommend going Moderate over Value (unless you're doing Art of Animation) whenever possible. It's just good monetary sense, I think. Nothing wrong with Value, but Moderate is just more my speed, I think.

If you want me to do some research for you, Biggz, PM me what you've found and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 25, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I've never priced for an overseas client, but if you're getting a package with a discount on one element (room,tickets, dining) then you're probably going to have to book it as a package to get that discount. So you wouldn't be able to let a US agent book two elements and not the third. Does that make sense?

Personally, if I had to choose between Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, or Coronado Springs, I'd take Coronado any day. It's a little further away but it has tons of buses, it's a beautiful resort, and the rooms are extremely comfortable and well-thought out.

Depends on who you're taking. Coronado is definitely less heavily themed and a kid might not be as impressed with it as one of the brighter rooms. If it's all adults that aren't into all the theming and stuff, I totally agree. Of all the moderates, Caribbean Beach does tend to be a bit sprawling. Port Orleans is much better about it in my opinion.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Depends on who you're taking. Coronado is definitely less heavily themed and a kid might not be as impressed with it as one of the brighter rooms. If it's all adults that aren't into all the theming and stuff, I totally agree. Of all the moderates, Caribbean Beach does tend to be a bit sprawling. Port Orleans is much better about it in my opinion.

That is true, but my kids enjoyed Coronado when we took them last year. They were 5, 3, and 1. They loved the pool with the jaguar slide, and there was the dig site where you can dig up stuff.

I find resorts and who likes which to be very personal, and no two people are going to agree on the merits of one over the other.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Incorrect, Port Orleans is obviously the objectively best of the mid-tier resorts. :colbert: Anyone who doesn't agree with this is simply wrong.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

I've pretty much decided on Coronado or Caribbean. I can get Coronado for £100 less than Caribbean.

Are there any major differences making Caribbean £100 better such as location or transport (not just to Magic Kingdom but to Epcot / Downtown Disney as well)?

There wont be any kids, and I do want to use the pool.

If it makes a difference I will have the basic dining plan with only counter meals.

I see Port Orleans has boat transport but then that's another £100 on top of the Caribbean price, please don't make that resort sound amazing! :)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Seriously, none of the mid-tiers have anything that make one worth 100 quid more unless you love the theme and have cash to burn. Coronado is perfectly fine. It's physically very close to the Caribbean resort and has the same buses as all the other resorts, so that won't be an issue. It's also one of the more laid-back and least cheesily themed of the resorts in that tier, which is nice.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Biggz posted:

I've pretty much decided on Coronado or Caribbean. I can get Coronado for £100 less than Caribbean.

Are there any major differences making Caribbean £100 better such as location or transport (not just to Magic Kingdom but to Epcot / Downtown Disney as well)?

There wont be any kids, and I do want to use the pool.

If it makes a difference I will have the basic dining plan with only counter meals.

I see Port Orleans has boat transport but then that's another £100 on top of the Caribbean price, please don't make that resort sound amazing! :)

Agreeing with Nathilus. Go ahead and go Coronado. It's got a nice pool too. Both only have bus service to TTC/the parks. Keep in mind Downtown Disney IS undergoing a ton of rehab right now, too.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I like Coronado because they have queen sized beds instead of doubles. The decor is very nice and it tends to draw fewer families so it's a bit quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The pool is also pretty goddamn bitchin' at Coronado.