Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

bringmyfishback posted:

I remember always thinking it was really out of place. Like, "I get to do this at the lovely State Fair, why the hell does Disney have one?"

But then I really liked the PeopleMover as a kid, for some reason.

The TLS and the Peoplemover are not comparable in any way and it's insulting to even try :colbert:

Would literally be perfectly content to ride the TTA all day long without getting off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

And I gather from your posts you visit a lot more than four times a year.

I envy those who can just pop into a park for the afternoon.

The really ironic thing of it is that those of us who CAN pop in for the afternoon generally won't for 3/4s of the year because it's enormously too hot.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The following week is literally the worst week of the year to go to any park. If you're not earning a paycheck from the mouse, avoid the parks like the flames of hell.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Cryosleep posted:

If you get a chance, go to 4 Rivers Smokehouse for the most amazing BBQ ever. http://4rsmokehouse.com/

It's probably about 25/30 min away from the Disney area, by I4. Closed on Sundays. Don't be intimidated by the line outside the building, it's worth the 15/20 min wait. Also, try one of their signature cupcake milkshakes. Holy god.

It's worth noting that the Winter Garden location is probably closest and they don't have to traverse I-4 to do it.

I haven't been there before but I've heard nothing but good things. I'm only about ten-fifteen minutes from the WG location so maybe I ought to check it out.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I don't want to risk getting in trouble but I can say that the capacity for EPCOT is insane due to its size and AFAIK it's never hit it or even gotten relatively close to hitting it.

Four hours for Soarin? Amateur night. :smug: A few years ago, NYE had a 295 minute wait.

That makes me super-claustrophic just to look at it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

In other news, i may have gone insane, but I am considering doing the College Program right after I graduate. this could be the worst thing.

CPs are pretty much the work mules of the company so don't do it if you hate working.

That being said, I'd say a good 95% of CPs absolutely love the time they spend here and a lot of them come back again and again.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I love Brazillian tour groups. They're obnoxious but not any more so than any organized group. What I like is that they're always so happy; that's a big thing for me. Their tour guides not so much but the hundred people they have following them make up for it.

It's the American school groups I loathe. They don't listen and are grumpy in general and they can't even claim a language barrier, they're just being rude for rudeness sake.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I doubt it will make you feel better but FP+ literally just went live (completely live, with no legacy FP available) within the last week or two; a bunch of my friends who work in the parks were talking about the live date as if it were the coming apocalypse. I'm not defending FP+ (it's pretty dumb IMHO) but remember that new things will always have a rough learning curve.

Also remember that the CMs who are letting a billion FP+ people through the line at the merge point are being literally scolded every time they go outside the ratio of Fastpass to normal riders entering the line; more often then not, there are even cameras on them to make sure they follow the ratio. 9 out of 10 CMs would happily let a torrent of normal guests through because they feel bad making them wait for so long.

The system is silly and pretty bad but the CMs have no control over it whatsoever, try to save frustration for the powers that be instead of the overworked college kid that has to enforce the rules.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Lincoln posted:

I barely even knew what concierge level was. Turns out we got a room --a bit larger than the standard room-- in one of the concierge buildings. Restricted entry to the building, with a concierge desk manned 24 hours a day so you can always get help with...well, whatever you need. Dinner reservations, directions, whatever. And there was a pretty impressive 24-hour food spread in the lobby. That was what I really loved, because we didn't have to make an extra stop anywhere for breakfast on the way to the parks each morning. Booyah.

Concierge at the Grand rules. The food spread is delicious and there's free alcohol in the afternoon.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
GMR isn't really dead, it just takes so many people that there usually isn't too crazy of a wait. It has a massive guest capacity. If you go during holiday times you may be get a bit of wait, maybe even upwards of twenty minutes or so.

BETTER BREAK OUT THE FASTPASS+

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Nathilus posted:

On the real job you get shitloads of vouchers to hand out in that kind of situation. Ice cream, fast passes, whatever. I even hand-wrote more than a few on standard old fast pass ticket stock. So guests take note: cast members can give you a piece of paper that says "give this person free poo poo" and it works.

NSA forms were (one of) the banes of my existence. They mean well, they really do, but 9/10 times they were never filled in properly and usually didn't follow the rules (this ticket allows this party of fourteen to ride Soarin, also get free drinks too w/e).

I eventually got to the point where I would just take the stupid tickets no matter what and accept the consequences from my managers if they got mad. They never did.

Of course, when asked how I'd deal with a child who was too short to ride something, I was using Space Mountain as the theoretical ride, and went to suggest they ride something else in Tomorrowland, and then I blanked on the name of Astro Orbitors. It literally vanished from my mind.

It's me, I'm the worst Disney fan.

We routinely get CPs who have never been in the state and know almost nothing about Disney before working here. I'm pretty sure you got brownie points for knowing what you did.

Roar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 14, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
There's an offshoot of Amazon that pays $1.35 to mail me a paper saying I made $1.50 in royalties every month or so.

Big companies dgif about incidental costs.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Before you get too excited if you're going after the end of March:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/capt...-late-march.htm

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I'm personally okay with most of the refurb info about the Poly. I've always found it pretty dated and kind of musty every time I go there, especially when considering some of the newer resorts. It's a classic, yeah, but even classics need reimagining every forty years or so.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

kri kri posted:

Whats the best casual place to eat in downtown disney?

Earl of Sandwich, bar none.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As fun as it is, RRC is not overly scary. It's probably the most "thrilling" thing at WDW in the traditional sense, but it's not exactly Six Flags.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

I guess they need FP+ to eat now too.

You kid but I wouldn't be surprised if that were to be the case someday. Disney keeps as close an eye on some of the major quick service food lines as they do of the major attractions.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Tigntink posted:

Oh so a goon now works at Victoria and Alberts

Is that right?

Gonna walk into the kitchen tomorrow and ask all of the cooks if they have stairs in their house.

quote:

and said I should get a reservation and sit at the chefs table so he can serve. Anyone know anything about this? Like how much does it run and if i book 6 months out is there a high chance of me getting the table?

I can't speak for the chef's table, I think it's varied based on what the selections available. There's a pretty good review here but it doesn't mention how much the chef's table costs specifically. When I went with my wife, it was something like $400ish and that was in the main dining room.

If you're into that sort of thing, though, it's worth it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Don't give up La Cellier. It's widely regarded as one of the better restaurants at EPCOT and one of the best steakhouses on property.

Besides, they have the worlds best cheese soup.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

BlueBayou posted:

After new years is a quiet time to go, no? I know its a ways off but want to start saving now

Not directly afterwards, people hang around for a week or so. I would wait until mid-January or early February.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Take the money and take a Disney cruise instead.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
They're not going to revamp SE anytime soon, they just did a massive reimagining of the ride like five years ago. Have you been on it recently? I honestly haven't noticed any huge issues every time I've ridden it; even the stupid screens have worked every time I've ridden it.

I doubt they're planning to change Universe of Energy any time soon either because despite how old it is, people still love Ellen and Bill.

Say what you will about the state of EPCOT but it's still massively popular in every sense of the word and Tom Fitzgerald would be committing career suicide if he were to change things TOO drastically. I agree that EPCOT is a joke of what Walt wanted but at the end of the day, people want to leave the parks happy. For all the flaws, EPCOT generally delivers on that.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Braksgirl posted:

If I have to listen to the Soarin' music any longer I may just have to book my own Disney trip too.

You're welcome.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The wait for any E-ticket attraction anywhere is stupid unless you have a Fastpass or go in the off-season. Soarin is just most obvious about it because of the cattle herding quarter-miles worth of queue.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

mearn posted:

Talking with people who have worked at Peter Pan, they can't even handle the evacuation. They call the fire department and they get everyone out.

This is half-right. Reedy Creek gets them out of the vehicles but CMs lead them through the ride path to the exits.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I clocked in at like 275 when I went on Harry Potter, they stuffed me in that bitch. It was both fantastic and awful because the ride is pretty great but I'm super claustrophobic.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

I got the basic gist of my Disney assignment today.

You did CP Meet n Greet yesterday at Casting? If you were there in the morning, it's extremely possible that you walked right past me.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It's to make sure the ride is perfect for guests once it opens officially :shobon:

The cast will iron out the bugs!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It's blocked out for CM comp-admittance.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Yes and if there's a merciful god in heaven I hope so.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
There's two kinds of CPs - the ones that love EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING and the ones who just want college credit and to drink a lot.

The former were always so much more fun to train.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Well that explains why DHS was blocked out today.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
1) Put hand on button, never remove it.
2) Stop stuff if you hear bad noises or smell bad smells
3) 7, 14

Congrats, now you are set forever

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I am literally the worst (best) tour guide. I will literally shatter everyone's ideas of how to do the parks if they're detrimentally stupid ones. My wife very nearly got into the line to see Elsa and Anna last week and waited the four hours to get their autograph. Shot that poo poo down realy quick.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Cais posted:

September is a glorious time. It is when the cast members return to the parks as all the lines are gone.

I have a picture of Soarin with a 5 minute wait. I love September.

I used to have a picture of Soarin with a two minute wait.

Bored coordinators make fun things happen.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

mearn posted:

That's great. I didn't even realize wait times that weren't a multiple of 5 were allowed outside of Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror, where they'll post 13 minutes sometimes.

I don't think they can anymore, they've changed the system since that happened. This was like five years ago.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
If Orlando/Clermont has any reasonable form of public transport I would quite literally use it every day.

So sick of gas prices.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Duty manager, we're evacuating pooh.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I don't have the link in front of me but there was a new story a couple of months ago detailing ticket prices and how much the Disney experience cost per hour, and it ended up being relatively cheap for what you get in comparison to other equivalent attractions like shows or movies and stuff.

I dunno if that's what you would officially tell someone but whatev, that's why I have no interest in working at Guest Relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

He's wearing a *insert name here* name tag

For a good ten seconds, I was wondering when we started making name tags that said that.